The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Dunno then.

Maybe someone who has one can suggest a cause?

Keep thinking getting a battery grip only to use when got 70-200 lens on or when doing a bit of portraits

When I got my first two A7III's I got the Sony oem battery grips. Used them for a couple of weeks and haven't used them again since.

Using the A7III has changed the way I shoot and I use the lcd probably more than the evf especially for portraits so haven't had the need for a battery grip at all, with the battery life being so good as well.

If you are going to get one, buy one of the cheap one's the Sony grips aren't great build quality at all and definitely aren't worth the money. Regret wasting the money on mine.

Anyone experienced the LCD screen going black when at waist height on the A7iii? Everytime I seem to lower it the thing goes off, not sure if it's a setting or what!?

Anyone experienced the LCD screen going black when at waist height on the A7iii? Everytime I seem to lower it the thing goes off, not sure if it's a setting or what!?

Weird, I use mine that way all the time and have never came across that. Have you any dust in the evf, I remember reading somewhere that that can cause similar issues.

Yes I have had this problem with my A9 and A7R3. It was intermittent and took months to diagnose the problem. To cut a long story short, I had some t-shirts that had reflective writing on them. Every time I wore on of these and held the camera in front of my body the viewscreen would go blank even at arms length. Moving the camera to one side or the other restored it to normal operation. It seems the reflective material interfered with the viewscreen/EVF sensor. I don't wear those t-shirts anymore when I'm using the camera and problem solved.

Weird, I use mine that way all the time and have never came across that. Have you any dust in the evf, I remember reading somewhere that that can cause similar issues.
It's detecting your body thinking that you're holding the camera to your eye. Just hold it a little further away & all will be well.
Yes I have had this problem with my A9 and A7R3. It was intermittent and took months to diagnose the problem. To cut a long story short, I had some t-shirts that had reflective writing on them. Every time I wore on of these and held the camera in front of my body the viewscreen would go blank even at arms length. Moving the camera to one side or the other restored it to normal operation. It seems the reflective material interfered with the viewscreen/EVF sensor. I don't wear those t-shirts anymore when I'm using the camera and problem solved.
Hmm, I don't think there's any dust on the EVF but will double check. It's really strange because sometimes when I am viewing the photos it shuts off too, it's like it's detecting my eye and almost thinking it's next to the EVF and as such shutting off the screen.

Hmm, I don't think there's any dust on the EVF but will double check. It's really strange because sometimes when I am viewing the photos it shuts off too, it's like it's detecting my eye and almost thinking it's next to the EVF and as such shutting off the screen.

If you fold the LCD out slightly (few mm), it shouldn't try and switch between LCD and EVF if you hold it in front of your body.

Nikon, not sure where they are going, whereas Sony seems to push Body tech first, now glass. Canon pushing Glass first, body second. Nikon seems to be pushing evenly for both at the same time. Mediocre body and mediocre lenses.

That said, I have a friend who is a wedding tog that shoots Nikon, he bought both a Z6 and a Sony A7III in the same week to test them out and he has returned them both to get a D850 to replace his D750.
I'm not sure I would call the Z's mediocre tbh. They're both excellent cameras just not quite up to Sony (and current high end DSLRs) standard in terms of 'sports performance'. They have top notch IQ, top notch build (the grip rubber has been sorted), top notch EVF and LCD, great features etc etc.

LFH now have the 400mm 2.8 for hire. Can't even afford to rent one!

Is there no adjustment brush or spot removal in the free 'express' version? I've downloaded to try and can't for the life of me find them

If it's the same as the Fuji express one then no, which is why I stick with LR despite it not being the ideal software for xtrans RAF files. I don't find C1 any better, maybe a little for NR but LR has better overall tools now.

Appreciate some advice folks. I'd like a telephoto, the 100-400GM has my attention... I'm sure it's almost "bag of primes" good but I have a 1st gen Sony A7, and a Samyang 35. Basically, not too heavily invested into the system, not blazing AF like the latest gen and £2500 shows a lot of options, not just Sony lenses - and even, looking secondhand, maybe even MFT/SLR - even APS-C - combining a body and lens (and keep the A7/35 as a discrete separate combo).

I like and have tried the 70-300G (£1000), tried the 100-400GM (yes, better, IMO not £1500 better but still great)....But for someone like me, £2500 could mean...

Used MFT body and Pana 100-400 - or even 200/2.8. Oly 300/4 out of budget...
Sony A6400 or A6300 and 70-300G....
Sigma 100-400 (or even 150-600) on MC-11...
Canon or Nikon APS-C DLR and used anything tele within budget...
Sony 70-400 on LA-EA4

Fast AF, decent quality at ISO 1600 in U.K. light, croppable feather detail not mush, and reach. Hmmm. We British togs know the good light seen in USA reviews doesn't translate here. What would you do to spend my £2500?

Last edited:
Appreciate some advice folks. I'd like a telephoto, the 100-400GM has my attention... I'm sure it's almost "bag of primes" good but I have a 1st gen Sony A7, and a Samyang 35. Basically, not too heavily invested into the system, not blazing AF like the latest gen and £2500 shows a lot of options, not just Sony lenses - and even, looking secondhand, maybe even MFT/SLR - even APS-C - combining a body and lens (and keep the A7/35 as a discrete separate combo).

I like and have tried the 70-300G (£1000), tried the 100-400GM (yes, better, IMO not £1500 better but still great)....But for someone like me, £2500 could mean...

Fast AF, decent quality at ISO 1600 in U.K. light, croppable feather detail not mush, and reach. Hmmm. We British togs know the good light seen in USA reviews doesn't translate here. What would you do to spend my £2500?

D500 & Nikkor 200-500mm ?
A7 III & Sigma 150-600mm?
X-T3 & Fujinon 100-400mm?

The GM is sufficiently expensive that keeping a second dedicated system for telephoto isn't out of the question. Obviously on an A9 it's the way to go.. and I might stretch to an A9 by 2025... but casting the net wider than Sony there are many ways of spending that cash for that reach. But... will the quality be as good?

The GM is sufficiently expensive that keeping a second dedicated system for telephoto isn't out of the question. Obviously on an A9 it's the way to go.. and I might stretch to an A9 by 2025... but casting the net wider than Sony there are many ways of spending that cash for that reach. But... will the quality be as good?

If your A7 was a current model I would suggest the MC-11 & Sigma 150-600 but I don't think the focus would be anywhere nearly as good on the A7 1st gen

If your main interest is to shoot birds and/or wildlife then something with better AF than A7 would certainly be more useful.

I personally would avoid m43 for the ISO reason you mentioned.

I would also suggest buying used if possible to make your money go further.

Thanks. Yes, it's a tough decision. I'm always amazed how hard I can crop the A7 with my manual FD 300mm, but the 70-300G doesn't seem hugely better than the Nikkor or Canon (unless I'm wrong?) and I'm happy with the A7/35 for candids and walk around.
Factor in an A7III and I don't have enough for a 70-300, let alone the GM!

(But, of course, I could get the good glass, live with the A7's ability and eventually move to the A9 when you guys all buy your A12's or A7R XII's our however many generations I am behind haha)

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, it's a tough decision. I'm always amazed how hard I can crop the A7 with my manual FD 300mm, but the 70-300G doesn't seem hugely better than the Nikkor or Canon (unless I'm wrong?) and I'm happy with the A7/35 for candids and walk around.
the a7iii can be had for £1365 grey import now,

Save a little more and go grey market?

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 14.45.02.png

Personally I prefer U.K. if possible (preference, not prejudice). But thanks for the pointers and it may become an option!

Fair enough, in all honesty I would sell the 1st gen and put it towards a current gen A7/A9 and then visit the long lens question.

Panamoz is worth considering as well, slightly more, but considerably better support. Was just reading in one of the sony groups about someone who has had issues with their 2 year old a9, send it to get repaired. And just before paying the bill, thought they would email panamoz to see if it would be covered on the 3 year warranty they offer as an off chance. it was and rather than being sent back to panamoz etc, they just transferred the money for the repair to them. Which is probably better service than you would get for uk stock

Panamoz is worth considering as well, slightly more, but considerably better support. Was just reading in one of the sony groups about someone who has had issues with their 2 year old a9, send it to get repaired. And just before paying the bill, thought they would email panamoz to see if it would be covered on the 3 year warranty they offer as an off chance. it was and rather than being sent back to panamoz etc, they just transferred the money for the repair to them. Which is probably better service than you would get for uk stock

Yes this, I went with Panamoz for this reason on my A7 III body. Lenses I tend to go with whoever is cheapest.

@danbroad Left field option, 100-400 GM & A6400 (great focussing + APS/c reach)

The greys do have excellent backup that levels the field, no doubt, but I can get 0% on the GM. Do any 100-400 owners have real world experience on an A7? Worth it?

And thanks, one of the options I'm thinking is A6400, Sigma 16/1.4 to replace the 35/2.8 and the 100-400!

@danbroad Left field option, 100-400 GM & A6400 (great focussing + APS/c reach)
Slightly less left-field - how about upgrading the body to an A7Rii or iii and then use the excellent Canon 70-200/4 on an MC11? That way you get more than enough extra resolution to crop to the equivalent of a 400mm on the A7 in a much lighter and more capable setup.

Slightly less left-field - how about upgrading the body to an A7Rii or iii and then use the excellent Canon 70-200/4 on an MC11? That way you get more than enough extra resolution to crop to the equivalent of a 400mm on the A7 in a much lighter and more capable setup.
Expect when you don't ;)

Cropping down to equivalent of 400mm from 200mm will give him 10mp.
Not to mention AF with mc11 isn't as good as native AF especially with A7RII

Back