The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Its the same as u saying back in the 70's i dont need AF at all, manual focus is king!

Tech moves to make our lifes easier and more to concentrate on the composition and less so on settings.

No it's not, I'd easily have a bet with you, any money, that I'd get as many players in focus at a football match without using eye-AF as you can with. Pay my flights, accom, entrance fee etc and i'll show ya :D

Eye AF is an interesting development. It’s works well when it works for me but it doesn’t work all the time for wildlife so it’s a nice to have feature for those occasions it works.

I liken eye AF to adaptive cruise control on modern cars. You don’t need/use it all the time and could probably do without it but it’s very useful on occasions. Previously I wouldn’t have said adaptive cruise control was a necessity as I can drive the car myself but in heavy traffic where speeds are constantly varying between 30-60mph it’s perfect and makes the A14 a more relaxing drive.

For once I've actually started to read the manual to get to grips with my camera (A7ii) and I came across this...

Does this mean that my camera also has Eye AF, not had time to check the camera yet so thought I would quickly ask on here.

[84] How to Use Using shooting functions Adjusting the focus Eye AF The camera focuses on the subject's eyes while you keep the button pressed. 1. MENU → (Custom Settings) → [Custom Key Settings] → assign the [Eye AF] function to the desired button. 2. Point the camera at a person's face, and press the button to which you have assigned the [Eye AF] function. 3. Press the shutter button while pressing the button. Note Depending on the circumstances, the camera may not be able to focus on the eyes. In such cases, the camera detects a face and focuses on the face. If the camera cannot detect a person’s face, you cannot use [Eye AF]. Depending on the circumstances, you cannot use [Eye AF], such as when [Focus Mode] is set to [Continuous AF] or [Manual Focus], etc. [Eye AF] may not function in the following situations: When the person is wearing sunglasses. When the front hair covers the person’s eyes. In low-light or back-lit conditions. When the eyes are closed. When the person is in the shade. When the person is out of focus.
I think with the A7II eye a.f only works if you are in AF-S, unless they updated that in later firmware,
That's right. Even the original A7 had eyeAF in AF-S which kinda did work but no where as well as it does now and was considered a gimmick. The A7Rii was the first body to have it in AF-C.

Eye AF is an interesting development. It’s works well when it works for me but it doesn’t work all the time for wildlife so it’s a nice to have feature for those occasions it works.

I liken eye AF to adaptive cruise control on modern cars. You don’t need/use it all the time and could probably do without it but it’s very useful on occasions. Previously I wouldn’t have said adaptive cruise control was a necessity as I can drive the car myself but in heavy traffic where speeds are constantly varying between 30-60mph it’s perfect and makes the A14 a more relaxing drive.

Works most of the time for humans :)

See that makes sense, you're not depending on cruise control you are making use of it where it fits but realise you really do not need it at all - it's a bonus. What I'm seeing across photography forums is a reliance on eye-AF, as if these supposed experienced photographers suddenly can't deal without it.

No it's not, I'd easily have a bet with you, any money, that I'd get as many players in focus at a football match without using eye-AF as you can with. Pay my flights, accom, entrance fee etc and i'll show ya :D
Haha. I don't really use eye af in sports. More for portrait really with extreme shallow dof

Haha. I don't really use eye af in sports. More for portrait really with extreme shallow dof

I would have thought so, it's not going to be great for following unpredictable fast moving players up and down a pitch. But ... I guess it will be good enough at some stage

That's my main frustration as a Wedding Photographer is having the spot in the right place at the right time. I find myself in a spontaneous situations trying to grab those magical shots - but constantly battling to move the spot to the right place instead of concentrating more on the composition. Maybe Sony's Face and Eye AF Tech will have the answer

I like the ability to tap the focus point on the back of the screen and shoot, so much quicker. Must admit that I do have the point around a top third a lot and compose accordingly. I actually don’t rely on eye detect that much, old habits I guess.

This is pretty much the main reason wedding folks are moving to Sony. The uncanny eyeAF that just works and gets out of your way allowing you to concentrate on the composition.
This is even better on A9/A7RIV/A6400/6600

It often hunts a bit to begin with though, so not always so easy when you’re not ready.

It often hunts a bit to begin with though, so not always so easy when you’re not ready.

Well not the cameras fault is you aren't ready ;)

Never had any serious hunting issues with gen 3 bodies though it can happen especially in lower light. I imagine gen 4 will not have any issues since you can just point the camera at someone's face and recompose with real time AF and it'll simply track their eye no problem.

We had a kids party last week I used face / Eye AF for the first time as they ran and played in the garden with my A7R IV it was amazing just how good it is and the speed it works at is just about instant it impressed me big time.
Rob.

get all of that, and I'm sure the most up to the minute eye-AF tech is amazing in some ways, but do we 'need' it? I have Face and eye detect on my camera, but I've only ever turned it on to see if it works [it does] - then switched off because I can well manage without it. That's my point. I don't ever have to want to rely on something like that. It's bad enough I'm turned off certain cameras because they don't have IBIS ... makes me feel such a f'ing baby!!

You don't need it if you don't want to take the sort of pictures it'll help with. If all you want is posed portraits which give you time to focus a different way or more casual ones but aren't too worried about missing a moment unless you zone focus and shoot away at f5.6/8 then that's all good but modern even half decent face/eye focus will simply give you more time to look at the subject and choose when to take the picture and be able to capture that picture more easily, more reliably and more consistently than any other AF technique especially at wider apertures where none of the older ways of doing it work anywhere near well enough.

That's right. Even the original A7 had eyeAF in AF-S which kinda did work but no where as well as it does now and was considered a gimmick. The A7Rii was the first body to have it in AF-C.

Does it? I'll have to have a look. At he mo I just use face detect in single shot mode.

ta.

I was only vaguely aware that my camera has a menu, it's easy to forget as I only use it to format the card and set the clock. The clocks go back soon (don't forget folks) so as I'll be going into the menu I'll have a look for eye detect. I don't remember seeing it but it might be there.

ta.

I was only vaguely aware that my camera has a menu, it's easy to forget as I only use it to format the card and set the clock. The clocks go back soon (don't forget folks) so as I'll be going into the menu I'll have a look for eye detect. I don't remember seeing it but it might be there.

I mostly don't care for clocks anymore. Everything adjusts automatically apart from my camera.
But my camera is permanently set to GMT, so the time is an hour off for half the year.

Out of interest how does the Eye AF work on the Sony, can you be in any AF mode and then press a button to activate/decativate eye AF? I wish the Nikon worked like that, it's a bit 'clunky' to get into the eye AF mode, ie requires the change of focus mode.

I mostly don't care for clocks anymore. Everything adjusts automatically apart from my camera.
But my camera is permanently set to GMT, so the time is an hour off for half the year.

I sync it the day before each job, you have to when you shoot with 2 bodies otherwise the photos when imported will be out of sync.

I think with the A7II eye a.f only works if you are in AF-S, unless they updated that in later firmware,
I presume if you are shooting portraits/static indoors then af-s is the best option

Out of interest how does the Eye AF work on the Sony, can you be in any AF mode and then press a button to activate/decativate eye AF? I wish the Nikon worked like that, it's a bit 'clunky' to get into the eye AF mode, ie requires the change of focus mode.

With the new firmware, on the A9 I just keep the camera always in AF-C.
Face Detect - Eye-AF is now always working, no need to use a separate button anymore, just half press the shutter and it’ll lock onto the Eye, Face etc. :)

I can't see eye af on my A7, maybe only posher models got it.

Can currently get up to £50 off on eBay until end of 26th October.

£10 off when you spend £100
£25 off when you spend £250
£50 off when you spend £500

Code is PYRAMID

Good if you are looking for anything from E-Infinity's eBay store for example

Well not the cameras fault is you aren't ready ;)

Never had any serious hunting issues with gen 3 bodies though it can happen especially in lower light. I imagine gen 4 will not have any issues since you can just point the camera at someone's face and recompose with real time AF and it'll simply track their eye no problem.

If you've shot young kids, you'll know what I mean

I'll quantify that statement a little better. I don't necessarily mean hunting, but there can be a 2 second delay when activating eye af, especially if that eye is on a different focal plane, and that most definitely happens. It's not a 'suits all situations' fool-proof remedy all of the time. When it work however, it is a thing of beauty

Works like that in AFC and AFS.

If you've shot young kids, you'll know what I mean

I'll quantify that statement a little better. I don't necessarily mean hunting, but there can be a 2 second delay when activating eye af, especially if that eye is on a different focal plane, and that most definitely happens. It's not a 'suits all situations' fool-proof remedy all of the time. When it work however, it is a thing of beauty

Shooting kids is pretty much only reason and time I really want eyeAF :D

That was the main reason for me to upgrade to A7RII from A7RIII i.e for better reliability with eye AF with kids.

sigma 135mm f1.8 arrived today. its a big old beast (typically sigma) and a good bit heavier than my canon 135mm f2.
looking forward to using it.

I wish I still had mine, you got a great deal there. One day I'll replace it, in the meantime, I'll await some pics..

I sync it the day before each job, you have to when you shoot with 2 bodies otherwise the photos when imported will be out of sync.
If you set both the bodies at the same time and leave them surely they'll always be in sync?
Any reason you need to do it before each job?

If you set both the bodies at the same time and leave them surely they'll always be in sync?

They tend to drift over a period of time on all bodies is what I read somewhere. Had to change the time manually in LR slightly on the last wedding I did

They drift...it happens in my all my Canon bodies too.

You'd THINK they would be the same, with today's Quartz technology....but noooooo, even if there is a tolerance and 1 sec out a day will get quite far apart even after a week, especially if one is 1s fast and one is 1s slow.

Last edited:
With the new firmware, on the A9 I just keep the camera always in AF-C.
Face Detect - Eye-AF is now always working, no need to use a separate button anymore, just half press the shutter and it’ll lock onto the Eye, Face etc. :)
But what if you want to use a different focus mode/want to shoot something that doesn't have a face?

I mainly use a single AF point in AF-C. I also have the activation of eye AF set to the AF-On button. If an eye is picked up within the single AF point it will use eye AF. If I think an eye could be picked up in the whole AF area then I press the AF-On button to activate eye AF across all AF points. That set up works well for me as eye AF for animals is a little hit and miss. If I was photographing people where eye AF is much better than I would probably use eye AF most of the time and rarely using single point AF. One of the good things I’ve noticed with eye AF is you can effectively activate in a small area by using one of the smaller AF areas rather than the whole frame.

See that makes sense, you're not depending on cruise control you are making use of it where it fits but realise you really do not need it at all - it's a bonus. What I'm seeing across photography forums is a reliance on eye-AF, as if these supposed experienced photographers suddenly can't deal without it.
It’s really a tool that helps in certain situations. In certain photography genres it probably makes things easier. You can always do it the old way but the future will be systems like eye AF as it’s one less thing to think about.

Can currently get up to £50 off on eBay until end of 26th October.

£10 off when you spend £100
£25 off when you spend £250
£50 off when you spend £500

Code is PYRAMID

Good if you are looking for anything from E-Infinity's eBay store for example

Used it earlier to get the 35mm f1.8.
Worth noting that more than 1 item can be added to basket before using the discount.

The 35mm was priced at £489 which only activates £25 discount so I added a charger that I was needing anyway from another seller, took my total to £501 and got the £50 off. (y)

You won't see it on the original A7 models and it doesnt work in AFC from what I remember.

Can't see it in the menu which was no real surprise as I'd have been surprised if it was there and I'd missed it. No biggie. Face detect seems good enough and any slight oof on the eye will only really be visible when looking very closely.

I've just be wondering about those with A7x kit who are looking at the Canon and Nikon kit or have bought some? Why?

I can't see the point myself. The Sony system seems to have the edge except for the subjective stuff like handling and colour and of course the dreaded menus. The Sony system at least has a good body and lens choice now or is the attraction using Canikon legacy lenses?

Back