The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I quite honestly never saw any difference in use with the EVF when out using my a7rIV (now sold ) and a9 mkII the image was fine on both .

Rob.
When you press half shutter the EVF looks ever so slightly 'noisy', which is exaggerated if you use the high refresh rate setting or whatever it is. Also you can get some rainbow artefacts, again exaggerated using the high refresh mode. Only very minor, but coming from the Z7 you notice these things ;)
Your either a photographer or a gadget guy. If you worry about the experience your a gadget guy.
Seriously :rolleyes:
That is not true, I'm guessing you do wedding photography or something and the only thing you care about is getting the shots done quick and easy as possible. I'm guessing you use eye AF which some people consider to be a gadget and some even think it's cheating. Event/wedding photographers I know switched to Sony for the eye AF etc as it's a gadget/feature that makes their work easier.

If you were a landscape photographer for example there is more to it than the final photo, it is the experience of climbing a mountain to get catch a cloud inversion at sunrise, getting up in the early hours to get somewhere early to setup and wait for the light. It is the experience and the camera is all part of that experience, if you want to do a ground level portrait shot and the rear screen only goes one way, you can live it it but it would make life a lot easier if it you could flip the screen the other way. The D850 for example had lighted buttons, a bit of a gadget but handy at times when you can't see the camera and you fingers are not working as well as they should be on the cold... there are certain little things that can make the experience better.
Yep it's the whole experience. As I mentioned before, for people where photography is a hobby it's about the whole user experience. Doesn't make 'us' any less of a photographer.
I like gadgets, I also like photography and the entire process. Unsure why I cant enjoy both.
Exactly (y)

So I picked up the Sony 70-350mm today. I *think* I'm now happy with my lens setup. :eek:
Here's a few shots from this evening's walk while I charged the car...

Not the "best" pics in the world I'm sure; but I'm trying to add a bit more style into my pics, thinking more about composition etc. Taking the time to line up a shot more than just point and shoot.

These are from the 70-350mm:
DSC00996 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00808 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00813 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00817 by Steve B, on Flickr

Also took a couple on the 10-18mm:

DSC00828 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00757 by Steve B, on Flickr

new sigma 100-400mm and tamron 17-28mm budget options but really good.
but how much reach are you looking for at long end and wide end?

Thanks I'll look at them , I'm going to stick with the 50 so was thinking a 28mm prime as old school FF sizes , zoom up to 300mm would be OK but if the 100-400mm is particularly good I might look for a used one if they're available yet

Sony is new to me , I keep finding gool lenses then realise they don't fit the A7

I really must be stricter with my lens spreadsheet. I had been keeping up with all the funky Lensbaby and Venus Optics releases, but somehow I had completely missed Tamron and their 20,24 and 35 F2.8 trio..
That ends my search for wide, I have ordered the 20 and 24 mm, small, light, decent performance, kicking myself for not noticing them earlier. Now I just have to find something at the wider end, probably a Voigtlander as I want to try their famous rendering and they too are light so I could carry a 12 or 15 + 20,24 easily in my bag. The CV can wait though..
Never shot anything this wide before, it will be a fun learning experience...

I think wide lenses can be some of the most difficult to use well. Some reviewers and bloggers say they're not just for getting it all in and I agree but getting it all in is also a use for them :D As is getting up close and playing with perspective and drama :D

Thanks I'll look at them , I'm going to stick with the 50 so was thinking a 28mm prime as old school FF sizes , zoom up to 300mm would be OK but if the 100-400mm is particularly good I might look for a used one if they're available yet

Sony is new to me , I keep finding gool lenses then realise they don't fit the A7

I doubt you will find any sigma 100-400mm in the used market yet. Most reviewers seem to think the sharpness is on the same level as 100-400GM.
There is a sony 70-300mm too but it costs roughly the same as the sigma 100-400mm and if sigma is as good as the sony 100-400GM then its much better than the 70-300mm.

Surprisingly not many 28mm options available on Sony (may 28mm is out of fashion?). The only native option I can think of is the FE 28mm f2. There is also a sigma ART 28mm f1.4 which was ported to e-mount I guess but its humongous.

I've found a sony Zeiss 24-70 £449 after £100 cashback which seems like a very good deal as it's £749/£649 at WEX

I've read about soft corners at 24mm which is putting me off a bit but then £449 for a new lens with warranty. That's close to used money

I've found a sony Zeiss 24-70 £449 after £100 cashback which seems like a very good deal as it's £749/£649 at WEX

I've read about soft corners at 24mm which is putting me off a bit but then £449 for a new lens with warranty. That's close to used money

The kit lens is sharper than the Zeiss 24-70.

Better to look at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8.

If people would be willing to share some fo their pictures using the Tammy 70-180mm I’d appreciate it please. I’ve been looking at Flickr and I’m not sold of the colours and rendering but I think most have had some ‘funky’ processing done to them. I do like the rendering of the 70-200mm GM as it reminds me a bit of my Nikon VRII that I loved but the weight (and cost) is really putting me off

So I picked up the Sony 70-350mm today. I *think* I'm now happy with my lens setup. :eek:
Here's a few shots from this evening's walk while I charged the car...

Not the "best" pics in the world I'm sure; but I'm trying to add a bit more style into my pics, thinking more about composition etc. Taking the time to line up a shot more than just point and shoot.

These are from the 70-350mm:
DSC00996 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00808 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00813 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00817 by Steve B, on Flickr

Also took a couple on the 10-18mm:

DSC00828 by Steve B, on Flickr

DSC00757 by Steve B, on Flickr

Good to see some nice sunny pictures (y)
That 10-18mm shoots pretty well into the sun.

So did you get a new copy of the lens in the end or did you get it fixed?

As long as you have the option to return it if it's not great. When I was looking early last year someone was kind enough to share their images taken with the 24-70 unprocessed & full size, and I was quite surprised at how soft the edges were at pretty much every aperture, Reviewers were saying the same thing. OTOH Snerkler up there has one & reckons it's good, so perhaps they fixed the design.

New camera apecs
  • New 12MP stacked sensor with fast readout
  • records FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI
  • Looks pretty similar to a Sony A7rIV.
  • world’s highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF (QXGA resolution)
  • new kind of passive (noise free) cooling system
  • no overheating, no recording time limits
  • UHSII card support
  • announcement late July
00AE26C5-9599-4711-AFAA-64C1DF9BFC19.jpeg

Last edited:
New camera apecs
  • New 12MP stacked sensor with fast readout
  • records FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI
  • Looks pretty similar to a Sony A7rIV.
  • world’s highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF (QXGA resolution)
  • new kind of passive (noise free) cooling system
  • no overheating, no recording time limits
  • UHSII card support
  • announcement late July
View attachment 286091

12MP, what is this 1990?

As long as you have the option to return it if it's not great. When I was looking early last year someone was kind enough to share their images taken with the 24-70 unprocessed & full size, and I was quite surprised at how soft the edges were at pretty much every aperture, Reviewers were saying the same thing. OTOH Snerkler up there has one & reckons it's good, so perhaps they fixed the design.

Decided against it , I'm wary of internet returns , if they send me it in a sealed box and I return it opened I could be stuck with it , decided to evaluate options rather than jumping in , the sony 24-105 looks a good choice , I bought a cheap A7 so if I like it my plan is to buy lenses I won't need to change should I decide to upgrade it.

Decided against it , I'm wary of internet returns , if they send me it in a sealed box and I return it opened I could be stuck with it , decided to evaluate options rather than jumping in , the sony 24-105 looks a good choice , I bought a cheap A7 so if I like it my plan is to buy lenses I won't need to change should I decide to upgrade it.

Tamron 28-75?

24-105G is a safe bet IMO. I think most people feel it's a good lens across the focal range.
Zeiss 24-70mm f4 has bit of the split opinion and then there are who claim its awesome 24-50/60 and weak at 70mm.

@snerkler seems to get the best copies of all lenses I think are questionable :D

Used to have the tamron 28-75/2.8 which is also very good.

Last edited:
Super large photo sites is better for low light so perfect for video.

Most production stuff is shot with lighting, nobody shoots in a coal mine without a candle. Also, look at the original A7s low light vs down sampled leading high MP sensors, with high MP you can go down, with low MP you cant go up. R5, another benefit of 8K at that kind of MP is that you can shoot at 30FPS 8K and pull 33MP RAW stills from the video. That EVF though!

Last edited:
Most production stuff is shot with lighting, nobody shoots in a coal mine without a candle. Also, look at the original A7s low light vs down sampled leading high MP sensors, with high MP you can go down, with low MP you cant go up. R5, another benefit of 8K at that kind of MP is that you can shoot at 30FPS 8K and pull 33MP RAW stills from the video. That EVF though!

certainly an odd choice given the competition.
but it may have no rolling shutter (faster readout rates) or overheating issues which video makers do care about. On R5 the current feeling is you cannot shoot more than 4k/30fps without overheating limitation which isn't really great tbh. if they can get over that and provide higher FPS at 4K then I think there may be something in it.
I wonder if they will move away from the CDAF for these bodies and add PDAF finally.

12MP, what is this 1990?

They'll say it for the low light but tbh technology moves on and I would expect more. In this case it hasn't in that respect which is why it would be unfair to compare this to cameras such as the R5 and others (which it will be) which are capable still and video cameras. At 12MP this will be purely a video camera or modified for Astro and therefore not something that will appeal to me. At say 20/24MP it may have been an option but 12MP lol

I don't know anywhere enough about video to say what is bad or good, but the wedding video guys seem very excited about the new Sony specs.

I mentioned the other day that 2 wedding video guys I know very well had both pre-ordered then cancelled the Canon R5 after reading about the over heating issues.

They have both said today that they are getting the new Sony as soon as it is available.

I don't know anywhere enough about video to say what is bad or good, but the wedding video guys seem very excited about the new Sony specs.

I mentioned the other day that 2 wedding video guys I know very well had both pre-ordered then cancelled the Canon R5 after reading about the over heating issues.

They have both said today that they are getting the new Sony as soon as it is available.

Up to them I guess, its a bit premature to right off any product at this stage.

Up to them I guess, its a bit premature to right off any product at this stage.

Also meant to mention wedding videographers very rarely use any sort of lighting other than occasionally for the dancing and for the speeches so low light performance is a huge consideration for them.

Also meant to mention wedding videographers very rarely use any sort of lighting other than occasionally for the dancing and for the speeches so low light performance is a huge consideration for them.

When your shutter speed is fixed at like 1/50 you dont need ISO 51200. Photography needs much higher shutter speeds than general video.

A colleague texted me that Tony Northrup is having a hissy fit about the R5 camera lol
I guess he didn't get his pre-production toy for free? :p

Basically R5 is mostly untested and A7Siii is not much more than a rumour that's been just confirmed. So would not be going out buying anything just yet.

For me the ergonomics of R5 looks nice and possibility of adapting big white EF lenses is really attractive.
Not keen on the AA filter but I can live with that if everything else matches up.

A colleague texted me that Tony Northrup is having a hissy fit about the R5 camera lol
I guess he didn't get his pre-production toy for free? :p

Basically R5 is mostly untested and A7Siii is not much more than a rumour that's been just confirmed. So would not be going out buying anything just yet.

For me the ergonomics of R5 looks nice and possibility of adapting big white EF lenses is really attractive.
Not keen on the AA filter but I can live with that if everything else matches up.

Its their new top dog and the intended direction of the company, Id be VERY surprised if it doesnt work with the great whites.

Last edited:

That's a very good price, where's that from? I paid only slightly less than that for like new used :oops: :$
I'm pretty sure they did tweak it 'behind the scenes', I read a few things a while ago saying this. If I can find it again I'll post it on here. It's not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as some folk make out imo. Perfectly fine at normal viewing sizes imo, and not that bad at 100%
You should have 14 days no quibble returns online shouldn't you?
24-105G is a safe bet IMO. I think most people feel it's a good lens across the focal range.
Zeiss 24-70mm f4 has bit of the split opinion and then there are who claim its awesome 24-50/60 and weak at 70mm.

@snerkler seems to get the best copies of all lenses I think are questionable :D

Used to have the tamron 28-75/2.8 which is also very good.
Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe you're more critical than me although I didn't think it was possible to be more critical than me :eek: :LOL:

When your shutter speed is fixed at like 1/50 you dont need ISO 51200. Photography needs much higher shutter speeds than general video.

Like I said I don’t know anything about video but the wedding video guys are very excited about the new Sony.

Back