The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

70-180 arrived today. I think I have got so used to the 70-200 GM I didn't really get how heavy it is!

Tamron zoom feels nice. Loose enough to turn with fingers but tight enough not to take accidental movements. Lock button is handy. Build seems ok - no real issues, no barrel wobble, and feels pretty solid for what it is.

Going o consider a new strap now - my black rapid was always hung off the lens foot rather than the camera but once attached to the camera it seems a bit swing happy. Might be time to look at the Peak Design offerings.

Also - now my bag seems big! Might also look at a new one too!
I’ve never liked the black rapid, always swung and spun too much for me. The Peak Design Slide is much better in this regard, and has two very strong anchoring points.

I’ve never liked the black rapid, always swung and spun too much for me. The Peak Design Slide is much better in this regard, and has two very strong anchoring points.

I did try the slide ages ago but wasn’t sold on the padded shoulder part, especially when trying to fold it in to a bag. Still, will have another look this afternoon.

I did try the slide ages ago but wasn’t sold on the padded shoulder part, especially when trying to fold it in to a bag. Still, will have another look this afternoon.
Slide lite is far better for these smaller bodies and it has no padding just an anti slip section which you can choose to use or flip over and keep it smooth (which I do)

I use AP but I also spend a lot of time in manual with auto ISO as the light here is often poor during daylight hours and at f5.6-8 the shutter speed can easily drop to 1/60, as per yesterday when we were out between 12:00 and 15:00 and the light was very poor. My usual solution is to switch to manual, set the aperture and a real world friendly shutter speed and let the ISO float up and down and adjust things as and when. The easily knocked spinning wheel on the back would drive me mad in that scenario.

This is madness for any half way serious and expensive camera. IMVHO. Gosh knows what Sony have been thinking all these years.

I also use manual with auto ISO - and when in AP I have the wheel on the back set for Exposure Compensation, but I've not noticed a real problem with knocking the wheel - it happens occasionally, most often when carrying the camera when generally walking about - and as I am in the habit of checking settings when starting to take a series of shots, it's not been a real concern.
On my old A900, which has 'traditional' front / rear dials I find I get a similar frequency of changed settings from accidental dial changes, so it's not a new problem.

Very interesting.

I had a Sigma 12-24mm for my DSLR's but now the widest lens I have is an old Tokina 17mm. I'd love another 12-24mm but the cost is a bit eye watering so a wide prime could be something for me to think about. I still want a 12-24mm though :D

Yeah I would have liked a 12-24mm but can't justify the price....probably ever haha!

g2sli3O.jpg

I fold mine up no worries. Padded bit is a bit stiff initially for this but soon softens from my experience.
Slide lite is far better for these smaller bodies and it has no padding just an anti slip section which you can choose to use or flip over and keep it smooth (which I do)
I find the light’s OK for smaller lenses but can start to dig into the shoulder more than the regular slide.

I also use manual with auto ISO - and when in AP I have the wheel on the back set for Exposure Compensation, but I've not noticed a real problem with knocking the wheel - it happens occasionally, most often when carrying the camera when generally walking about - and as I am in the habit of checking settings when starting to take a series of shots, it's not been a real concern.
On my old A900, which has 'traditional' front / rear dials I find I get a similar frequency of changed settings from accidental dial changes, so it's not a new problem.

I've used the back wheel before but I found it moved too easily when I wanted to do something else like move the focus point or press a button to change a setting. On a serious camera or indeed any camera I now see that set up as a major PITA, but that's just me. If the A7c has a clickable back dial that could just about be acceptable to me as I've used that set up before. To me it's not as good as having two dials but better than having to use the spinning wheel. All in all I'm not spending £2k or anything like it on a camera with only one control dial towards the top of the camera. I'll keep my A7 until it dies and assess the options then and if all that suits me is a slightly larger A7x but with the control dials I want then that's what I'll buy.

I suppose one possible way around it is to stop using Manual and instead set a minimum shutter speed in Aperture but I'm not spending £2k to do that either.

Maybe I'm obsessing over this but I have tried back wheel use and just hated it and not having two control dials, preferably front and back, is IMHO hard to understand to the point that I think someone at Sony needs a boot to be forcefully impacted on their bottom.

Last edited:
I've used the back wheel before but I found it moved too easily when I wanted to do something else like move the focus point or press a button to change a setting. On a serious camera or indeed any camera I now see that set up as a major PITA, but that's just me. If the A7c has a clickable back dial that could just about be acceptable to me as I've used that set up before. To me it's not as good as having two dials but better than having to use the spinning wheel. All in all I'm not spending £2k or anything like it on a camera with only one control dial towards the top of the camera. I'll keep my A7 until it dies and assess the options then and if all that suits me is a slightly larger A7x but with the control dials I want then that's what I'll buy.

I suppose one possible way around it is to stop using Manual and instead set a minimum shutter speed in Aperture but I'm not spending £2k to do that either.

Maybe I'm obsessing over this but I have tried back wheel use and just hated it and not having two control dials, preferably front and back, is IMHO hard to understand to the point that I think someone at Sony needs a boot to be forcefully impacted on their bottom.
I dont get it, 2 control dials is the ‘standard’ for any serious camera imo. I do however use the rotary dial on the back to change WB, never had an issue with it accidentally changing.

I dont get it, 2 control dials is the ‘standard’ for any serious camera imo. I do however use the rotary dial on the back to change WB, never had an issue with it accidentally changing.
I’m getting quite adept at using my A6000 and A6500 in manual/auto iso mode and to my surprise haven’t encountered accidental turning of the back dial. But I agree that it is preferable to have 2 control dials, and I don’t understand any camera in that price range not having one.

Having two control dials is a nice thing, one at the front and one at the back and both towards the top of the camera. Actually I like three dials and the extra one can be exposure compensation.

It's a personal thing but I will not be buying an A7c with just one control dial towards the top of the camera and a thumb wheel half way down on the back. That's not where my thumb would naturally be when holding the camera and operating it and means moving my thumb both down and back which IMO isn't ideal. I could be interested if the top dial is clickable. The Panasonic G1 was like that as far as I remember but with a front clickable dial. I'd still prefer three though as it's easy to miss what setting is highlighted when using a clickable dial and change the wrong setting. Three dials towards the top is ideal though preferably with one at the front. One for aperture, one for shutter and one for EC. Anyway. The A7c is what it is and if that back dial isn't clickable I'll just keep my money for Twin Peaks bars.

I’m getting quite adept at using my A6000 and A6500 in manual/auto iso mode and to my surprise haven’t encountered accidental turning of the back dial. But I agree that it is preferable to have 2 control dials, and I don’t understand any camera in that price range not having one.

It's easy to understand if you can accept that some people are stupid or stubborn or a combination of both. Back when I used to have to talk to designers about product issues sometimes they'd try and try to defend the indefensible. Some people just don't like having problems or even alternatives pointing out to them and some do resist change.

Gosh knows why they dropped the two/three dials from the Nex but for whatever reason on the RF style bodies they've never gone back.

It's easy to understand if you can accept that some people are stupid or stubborn or a combination of both. Back when I used to have to talk to designers about product issues sometimes they'd try and try to defend the indefensible. Some people just don't like having problems or even alternatives pointing out to them and some do resist change.

Gosh knows why they dropped the two/three dials from the Nex but for whatever reason on the RF style bodies they've never gone back.
I blame the cost accountants. ;)

It used to be something that differentiated 'entry level' from 'intermediate' level DSLR - you got one dial on entry level, two on intermediate.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone still sees it in that way - the 'entry level' FF has to have some compromise to encourage people to upgrade (even if the price isn't entry level!)

Looks like Sony have borrowed canons cripple hammer. On A7c old menu systems, no touchscreen, no real time tracking.

I would have actually bought this new if wasn't A7III in a smaller body. Not that A7III is bad but this is just plain crippling for a new 2 grand body IMO.

I guess canon it is :p

You're going to buy a Canon? Which one?

I haven't seen anything yet that would tempt me to either Canon or Nikon and all systems seem to have their issues, Canon and Nikon arguably more than Sony at this point. At best I suppose Canon lets you use cheap or already owned DSLR lenses via an adapter but I'm well over the pain of changing and you have/or had some excellent Sony kit. Anyway, I just don't see the point in changing systems and if my A7 died tomorrow I'd buy an A7III.

I've been using my Nippon Kogaku 50mm f2 and Nikon f1.8 pancake today. They're both lovely lenses.

Last edited:
Looks like Sony have borrowed canons cripple hammer. On A7c old menu systems, no touchscreen, no real time tracking.

I would have actually bought this new if wasn't A7III in a smaller body. Not that A7III is bad but this is just plain crippling for a new 2 grand body IMO.

Looks like new menus to me, well they look different to what's on my A7R. Says it has real time tracking as well.

I think it's exactly what I'm after, better than the A7iii and similar size to my A7R. Bit heavier though, guessing that's the battery and stabilization.

How big a deal is the 0.59x viewfinder seems low?

Last edited:
If I were to go FF this A7C is the camera I would buy, pretty much all I would want
Looks very similar to my Panasonic GX9 and that also suits me down to the ground.

A Canon executive has recently said in an interview that Canon don't cripple their cameras and to do so would be a bad business model. Well if they don't deliberately cripple them then you could argue that's worse, that they're happy to release half baked tech :eek:

Looks like new menus to me, well they look different to what's on my A7R. Says it has real time tracking as well.

I think it's exactly what I'm after, better than the A7iii and similar size to my A7R. Bit heavier though, guessing that's the battery and stabilization.

How big a deal is the 0.59x viewfinder seems low?

You'll get used to the EVF it's fine.
Apparently it does have real time AF.

Ok I am interested again lol

Have just been emailed about the a7c. So a full frame sensor in a a6000 body. An attempt at a cool design with the cheap shade of grey. Does it come in black too? No 2nd dial and no joystick. Some disappoints there for me.

Well done to Sony for getting the sensor into such a small body. I just wish Sony would employ some designers to make the bodies a little more appealing and have the basic functionality that all the other brands have.

Have just been emailed about the a7c. So a full frame sensor in a a6000 body. An attempt at a cool design with the cheap shade of grey. Does it come in black too? No 2nd dial and no joystick. Some disappoints there for me.

Well done to Sony for getting the sensor into such a small body. I just wish Sony would employ some designers to make the bodies a little more appealing and have the basic functionality that all the other brands have.

Yep fore finger dial would be a good start.

Though tbh no other brand has this small a FF with EVF and the battery life it offers.

I am still leaning towards canon though lol

A Canon executive has recently said in an interview that Canon don't cripple their cameras and to do so would be a bad business model. Well if they don't deliberately cripple them then you could argue that's worse, that they're happy to release half baked tech :eek:

Errr, thats what every brand does in some way or another, cant make something perfect for everyone.

Yep fore finger dial would be a good start.

Though tbh no other brand has this small a FF with EVF and the battery life it offers.

I am still leaning towards canon though lol

TBF most complained about the poor ergonomics of the MK1, so Sony made larger more comfortable bodies.

Deffo comes in all black. I've seen that written on rumor sites and seen pictures too.

I think I'd go for all black for anonymity but having just the top a different colour wouldn't bother me me too much.

Re the evf. I agree with nandbytes that in use it shouldn't be a problem. If I think about it I know the evf's on my Panasonic cameras are crap but in use I soon forget. The only issue I can see for me at the mo is the lack of control dials which will almost certainly kill it for me. Another issue could be the lack of custom buttons but these days I mostly use the customisable menu anyway.

Back