The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not having the evf hump can make a camera seem more compact and can make it easier to get in and out of a bag. My Panasonic RF style camera are just the evf hump and a smaller grip smaller than my A7 but they do feel even smaller.
also makes it easier for my missus get it in and out of her handbag and use it. She doesn't like my A7 bodies but happily uses LX100ii.
Now I can replace LX100ii with A7c and have a single system for everything.

I'd say its more than "just a little smaller". It is noticeable.
I can definitely tell the difference between A6XXX bodies and larger A7 bodies especially having had both at the same time and switched back and forth between them.

I'd say from my own perspective that the A7III is already a small camera, and feels very tiny & discrete with a lightweight compact lens fitted, especially being black. Certainly cameras can be smaller still - I borrowed the wife's E-M10 + pancake zoom for a trip to London a couple of years back, but it felt too small and was not a pleasure to use. The comparison mentioned a lack of exposure lock button on the c, and I'd really miss that.

The other thing is that I'm left-eye dominant.

Last edited:
I'd say from my own perspective that the A7III is already a small camera, and feels very tiny & discrete with a lightweight compact lens fitted, especially being black. Certainly cameras can be smaller still - I borrowed the wife's E-M10 + pancake zoom for a trip to London a couple of years back, but it felt too small and was not a pleasure to use. The comparison mentioned a lack of exposure lock button on the c, and I'd really miss that.
yes you do make some ergonomic sacrifices. for me it'll be the forefinger dial that'll annoy me to no end lol.

Yup. I suppose we get spoilt.

I can live with just the one custom button as I use the custom menu for just about everything but I do use the A7's switch and button arrangement for exposure lock and AF/MF and I do want a front or near the top dial. If they'd only made the existing one clickable that would be just about livable, annoying but livable, but as it is and as I may have said a couple of days ago for me the A7c seems to involve compromise on top of work around over and over. I do like the idea but I do fear that Sony will never fix these issues. They IMO botched the A6xxx line when they dropped the multi control dials and they've stubbornly ignored requests to bring them back for years. Sadly I think the A7c is what it is and will remain so even if it doesn't sell well. I just don't understand why they've done it like this and yet priced it above the existing mini slr style cameras. Sony = the new Canon.

IIRC My A58 has the feature too, in an entry level camera, ditto the D610 I used. Have a funny feeling even my old Samsung S850 compact had the facility alongside spot metering.
I always remap that button to something else as I mostly shoot manual. I think I'll miss the extra button more than lack of AEL. Then again I imagine you can probably assign AEL some other button if you want

Having just bought a Sony A7R (mark 1) I am puzzled why later iterations of the A7 series are significantly (to me) heavier. Having said that, on my former Z6 system the body weight was acceptable. It was the lenses which made the difference. At least with Sony it is possible to buy reasonable quality lenses from the likes of Samyang which are significantly lighter. It’s the total system weight which concerns me.

it was the main reason i moved to e-mount from a-mount. I am really glad they are catering for those people or people like myself again

edit:
I'd be even happier with a thinner body with no IBIS. And even better if it came with a high-res sensor (>36mp). but I can live with this for now :D
Clearly the size is important to some, I’m just surprised how much that’s all. Anything smaller than the A7III starts to become more fiddly to use for me. I’m also surprised the A6xxx and A7c are pocketable, I had the EM10 with pancake lens and I didn’t really find that pocketable tbh.

Having just bought a Sony A7R (mark 1) I am puzzled why later iterations of the A7 series are significantly (to me) heavier. Having said that, on my former Z6 system the body weight was acceptable. It was the lenses which made the difference. At least with Sony it is possible to buy reasonable quality lenses from the likes of Samyang which are significantly lighter. It’s the total system weight which concerns me.

I think Z6 is actually heavier or as heavy as the latest A7 body.

The initial gain in weight i.e. from MK1 to MK2 was due to the IBIS.
Then MK3 added larger battery and grip which added a bit more weight.
Get rid of IBIS you can shed a good 200g lol.

Edit:
Also the large mount means larger lenses by the looks of it even though canikon tried to tell us otherwise.

Last edited:
Clearly the size is important to some, I’m just surprised how much that’s all. Anything smaller than the A7III starts to become more fiddly to use for me. I’m also surprised the A6xxx and A7c are pocketable, I had the EM10 with pancake lens and I didn’t really find that pocketable tbh.

You need some new trousers

1671418.jpg

Can't comment on EM10 because I have never used it. E-M1 wasn't very pocketable tbh.

But I used A6000 and nex7 in tandem for travels. Always carried one of them in my jacket pocket and one around my neck.
Mostly one with 16-70/4, other with 10-18/4 or 35mm/1.8 (smaller APS-C version). So lenses matter too.

I wont pocket any of my cameras, even the TZ100 seems too bulky for me for anything but my biggest winter coat and even then I can feel the weight of it and don't like it in a pocket.

I wont pocket any of my cameras, even the TZ100 seems too bulky for me for anything but my biggest winter coat and even then I can feel the weight of it and don't like it in a pocket.
Yep I’m with you on that. I didn’t even like the RX100-3 being in my pocket, other than a winter coat pocket.

I always remap that button to something else as I mostly shoot manual. I think I'll miss the extra button more than lack of AEL. Then again I imagine you can probably assign AEL some other button if you want

There seems to be a lack of convenient buttons on the back.

I had the EM10 with pancake lens and I didn’t really find that pocketable tbh.

To me, a conventional zoom compact (a tiny bit smaller than the E-M10) isn't really pocketable, although even phones aren't really pocketable any more.

There seems to be a lack of convenient buttons on the back.

Yeah I agree. They seem to have killed a number of buttons compared to the A6600 for example.

But they have made the video button customisable, not that it makes up for it completely but it's something lol.

neither do i
original A7 easily fit in my normal jacket pockets and even in some trousers in a pinch.

went through a long trip in Italy with A6000 around my neck and a nex7 in my jacket pocket. was really nice.
I easily fit my A7R into my jacket pocket as well, it's why I love it with the 35mm fitted.

Yep I’m with you on that. I didn’t even like the RX100-3 being in my pocket, other than a winter coat pocket.
Is it much bigger than a MK1 RX100 I put mine in my jeans pocket. It's a rugged old thing love mine its been to hell and back on my hiking/climbing trips.

Last edited:
I easily fit my A7R into my jacket pocket as well, it's why I love it with the 35mm fitted.

Is it much bigger than a MK1 RX100 I put mine in my jeans pocket. It's a rugged old thing love mine its been to hell and back on my hiking/climbing trips.
Same size I think. It fits in jeans pockets but it's not comfortable imo.

And carry huge heavy gear on your back is? :p
That's *becoming* an issue - in Greece I took a bag with A7III, 24-105, 12-24, 35 and 55 plus battery etc everywhere. It was ok, but less ok than it used to be.

Remembering back to a trip to Austria, I carried a Bronica ETR, 45 and 75 lenses, eye level finder, Minolta 7000, 28-70 & 70-210 plus a 2yo child. I miss being like that!

That's *becoming* an issue - in Greece I took a bag with A7III, 24-105, 12-24, 35 and 55 plus battery etc everywhere. It was ok, but less ok than it used to be.

Remembering back to a trip to Austria, I carried a Bronica ETR, 45 and 75 lenses, eye level finder, Minolta 7000, 28-70 & 70-210 plus a 2yo child. I miss being like that!

Carried A7Riii, 24-105, 100-400, 15mm f2, 24GM and 85GM with a 2 year old all over Switzerland last year :D

I could do it again but there are better options these days.
My next trip I am thinking A7C, 28-200mm, 24GM, 45mm/1.8 and a small/light UWA. Should cover me for everything i want to do under 2kgs.

Last edited:
Carried A7Riii, 24-105, 100-400, 15mm f2, 24GM and 85GM with a 2 year old all over Switzerland last year :D

I could do it again but there are better options these days.
My next trip I am thinking A7C, 28-200mm, 24GM, 45mm/1.8 and a small/light UWA. Should cover me for everything i want to do under 2kgs.

You leaving the 2 year old at home then? :)

They aren't, not even with no lens attached, the Fuji X100's don't even fit into a normal pocket.

They aren't, not even with no lens attached, the Fuji X100's don't even fit into a normal pocket.
They are definitely pocketable, A7R with 35mm easily fits in my jacket pockets. Fair enough of your trying to put one in your jeans pocket then no, some smart phones don't even fit though so they don't count.

Last edited:
They are definitely pocketable, A7R with 35mm easily fits in my jacket pockets.
You wear a jacket in summer walking around ? For me if it can't fit into my jeans it ain't pocketable.

You wear a jacket in summer walking around ? For me if it can't fit into my jeans it ain't pocketable.
Like I edited not a fair comparison, my phone and wallet aren't pocketable by that definition.

I did something silly on Thursday.

Mrs WW wanted pictures of our flowers to send to her mam and in the early morning before breakfast the light was nice so I trotted off out into the garden and took some pictures. She later made some little vegi rice paper wraps and I took some pictures of her and the wraps for her to send to her mam. All in all maybe 30 pictures and unusually for recent weeks the light was quite good. As I do a lot of lens changes I then checked the sensor by taking an oof shot of a white door at minimum aperture. The image was clean so I formatted the card and we set off to walk to the shops, in the now much less good light. I took another thirty pictures or so while we were on the way and when we got to the shops I suddenly realised I'd formatted the card after checking for dust bunnies and had then taken another 30 shots or so without downloading the 30 shots or so I'd taken of the flowers and rice paper wrap making. When we got home I ran a recovery program and it found all our holiday pictures from last year but none of the shots I was looking for. Silly me.

Last edited:
What are you going to gain from the move from MK2 to 3?

Has anyone read if the Sony LA-EA5 will be supported fully on the A6400 or not? Would be great to use some of my older screw drive AF lenses with it but I don’t think it’s looking likely.

Finally! After much pondering, excellent advice from here, and youtube videos, I pulled the trigger. :)
New gear order.jpg

Last edited:
Back