The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A few from Leighton Moss RSPB yesterday. As usual for me, A7iii & Sigma 150-600C & Canon 200mm f/2.8L & MC-11

DSC02500-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02588-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02603-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02616-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02713-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02780-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02714-Edit-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC02794-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

wow, they look very good!
how do you adapt the sigma to your sony, how are af performances?

Think they should have made that 600mm, unless it's under a grand no one will buy it over the Sony.

+1 for that, a bit of a shame really.

Is there any chances for Sigma or Tamron to develop a 150-600 in the near futur.

The sony 200-600 looks great and i like the non-extending design but it is a bit pricey.

More snow here and big flakes too. I wonder if it'll last until the morning,

wow, they look very good!
how do you adapt the sigma to your sony, how are af performances?

Thanks,
I use the MC-11.

I've used the lens on my A7iii for a couple of years now and have pretty much got the measure of what it can and cannot do when adapted regarding AF. EyeAF Human & Animal work. There are compromises as you would imagine, going from near to far focus can be a slow process, I get around this by grabbing the focus ring and throwing the focus near to where I want before letting the AF take over, bird in flight has a low hit rate, unless it's a larger bird with a simple background. I generally use continuous AF with the smallest flexible point for small birds and zone or wide for larger animals and let the EyeAF do it's thing. Otherwise for perched bird etc it works well and image quality it doesn't disappoint me at all, far from it.

That could be quite useful for me to have an ultra wide at one end and the full frame equivalent of 30mm at the other. Although the tamron 17-70 might be even more useful to me.

By the way for the Voightlander owners here, I was on the millennium bridge last night and met and chatted to a photographer who was using a Voigtlander (50 I think he said) on a Nikon z7. Terrible blurry phone photo I took but I think the flared shape of the lens looks cool.

20210411-215059.jpg

Last edited:
Really?

Maybe she can write to Mrs WW for me :D

What's the lens?

I am sure this has strings, like maybe a diamond ring to snuggle up to her engagement ring in a few year's time :LOL: - so be prepared. It's the Samyang 85mm 1.4 - both bought on here for <£1,500. Not too shabby.

I've just bought some cheap film era manual lenses. I already have too many so that's not something to be worried about any more.

I am sure this has strings, like maybe a diamond ring to snuggle up to her engagement ring in a few year's time :LOL: - so be prepared. It's the Samyang 85mm 1.4 - both bought on here for <£1,500. Not too shabby.
Samyang 85mm f1.4's a lovely rendering lens (y)

great lens, all the 85mm lenses on e-mount are brilliant. can't go wrong with any of them.

You’ve got a good one there!

And for £1500 that’s a killer setup.

Just heard from DPD that tomorrow they’ll be delivering my A7R2, which I ordered from E-Infin last Wednesday night. First try-out should be Wednesday when we plan to drive over to Keld and walk up to Crackpot Hall, overlooking Swaledale. Then MrsL comes off furlough on Monday so trips out will be restricted to afternoons. Unless I escape on my own. :banana:

Just heard from DPD that tomorrow they’ll be delivering my A7R2, which I ordered from E-Infin last Wednesday night. First try-out should be Wednesday when we plan to drive over to Keld and walk up to Crackpot Hall, overlooking Swaledale. Then MrsL comes off furlough on Monday so trips out will be restricted to afternoons. Unless I escape on my own. :banana:

I ordered on the 30th and I’m still waiting:(

That looks a huge lens! Nice one though. I buy my own stuff so I don't get caught out like that :)

New kit day for me: a used Tamron SP 90 f2.8 in A mount from Harrison cameras and a charger + 2 batteries as mentioned earlier in the thread (even better value, as I got a £10 voucher for installing the ebay app) so thanks to the poster (Lee?).

The lens seems almost as new, focusses well on the LA-EA4 (though takes an age from infinity to 1:1) and was £125 delivered. It may not be the sharpest macro lens ever, but I'm sure it will be OK for 24MP and my amateur close-ups. The only negative it may have is that it doesn't seem to transmit much light judging by the ISO the camera was selecting when I tried it this evening, although having f1.4/1.8 does spoil you a bit.

One of the shots I took yesterday looking across London from the Millennium Bridge.

View from Millennium Bridge
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I was an early bird today and was on the on the train to work via Victoria @ 6:15. Your photo made me wish I'd stopped off early or taken the Thameslink route and jumped off at Blackfriars as the Sunrise this morning was epic. Great shot though...

Last edited:
I was an early bird today and was on the on the train to work via Victoria @ 6:15. Your photo made me wish I'd stopped off early or taken the Thameslink route and jumped off at Blackfriars as the Sunrise this morning was epic. Great shot though...

Thanks Martin. I wasn't up early today but yes, it's a lovely time to be there with this sunshine we've been getting!

What a lovely morning here! The sun is shining and there's not a single cloud in the sky :D

I'm waiting for my council house film era primes and adapter to arrive :D

The rumor site wonders if Sony will produce a rival for the big fat built in grip Canon...

Would anyone be interested in a Sony mirrorless camera like that or in that Canon?

It'll be interesting to see how the Canon stacks up against the A1 / A9.

I think the days of the old pro camera body style are gone for me not had one since the D4S and can't think of a reason why I would want one these days unless the camera had killer features that couldn't be found elsewhere. Maybe the sports pros would want one for those big heavy lenses.

Back