The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not that I’m aware of. A friend of mine(who an programmer and semi pro photographer) tested it and found there was no difference having it that way. Lightroom does work on the RAW but a copy of it doesnt it?

It needs to load the RAW into memory first. I find files on external HDDs take several seconds to load up compared to the internal SSD and HDD storage drive, and *occasionally* they are slower to work with when zooming in.

I have a 1TB SSD as the main drive with pictures from the last 2 years, 2TB internal HDD as main storage for older images from the previous 4 years, a couple of 4TB external HDDs for backup/older images.

Quick test of the Tamron 90 macro. It seems to be front focussing quite a bit, but inconsistently, on the LA-EA4.

Tamron Macro lens test-06559.jpg

Tamron Macro lens test-06543.jpg

Tamron Macro lens test-06517.jpg

Tamron Macro lens test-06525.jpg

Tamron Macro lens test--2.jpg

Tamron Macro lens test-.jpg

Going through the files, it's striking how much less information is recorded compared to a more recent lens design and it really wouldn't hold up on a high pixel density sensor, but for the purpose it's still very adequate.

Last edited:
A nice walk around Dalkeith with the Camera Club tonight. The idea was to grab an image that began with each of the letters of the word Spring. They will be displayed unedited when we enter the comp but I have tweaked a few for my own purposes but only very slightly. It was a good exercise in learning the camera as I was changing exposure more than normal and using different aspect ratios, and using crop mode to zoom as we aren't allowed to crop.
Shape
Pattern
Reflection
Ivy
Number 4
Green

Shape by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Pattern by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Reflection by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Ivy by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Number 4 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Green by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think the days of the old pro camera body style are gone for me not had one since the D4S and can't think of a reason why I would want one these days unless the camera had killer features that couldn't be found elsewhere. Maybe the sports pros would want one for those big heavy lenses.

EYE CONTROL AUTOFOCUS

For the first time in an EOS R series camera you will now be able to set the focus point location in the viewfinder, by simply looking at it — for incredibly fast changes in where the camera focuses, or to set the initial point from which the EOS R3’s AF system will track moving subjects.1

Could be interesting

Last edited:
EYE CONTROL AUTOFOCUS

For the first time in an EOS R series camera you will now be able to set the focus point location in the viewfinder, by simply looking at it — for incredibly fast changes in where the camera focuses, or to set the initial point from which the EOS R3’s AF system will track moving subjects.1

Could be interesting

Will be very surprised if that works well, they tried that many years ago and it didn't although tech has moved on now.

EYE CONTROL AUTOFOCUS

Could be interesting
I had that on my EOS 5 film camera back in 1993
There was also a wee box in one of the top corners that when you looked at it, the camera went into DOF preview mode.
At that time, the EOS 5 had more computer circuitry than the first space shuttle - alledgedly ;)

The new canon bodies sure seem exciting. But no small FF body and lacking some glass. If sigma and tamron started supporting RF, switching would be a much better prospect.

I see that canon are bringing out a RF mount 400mm and 600mm but all they have literally done is weld an adapter to the EF lens.

They are good lenses and fairly recent too. But I still didn't expect canon to weld on an adapter.
I couldn't afford these anyway.

Canon RF doesn't have an alternative to my Sony setup. I'd be compromising far too much by the swap.
At the moment the race is really for Sony to catch up on bodies or canon to catch up on the glass.

They are good lenses and fairly recent too. But I still didn't expect canon to weld on an adapter.
I couldn't afford these anyway.

Canon RF doesn't have an alternative to my Sony setup. I'd be compromising far too much by the swap.
At the moment the race is really for Sony to catch up on bodies or canon to catch up on the glass.

Why not just go Nikon and be done with it? :ROFLMAO:

I ordered on 1st April.
Taking the weekend and Easter Monday into consideration, I'm thinking they are 3 days behind.
Order my 200-600 from Panamoz on Sunday and it arrived on Friday :oops: :$
Mine should be here in an hour. Still not bad considering I ordered last Tuesday.

Not that I’m aware of. A friend of mine(who an programmer and semi pro photographer) tested it and found there was no difference having it that way. Lightroom does work on the RAW but a copy of it doesnt it?
Dunno :thinking: I always have my raw on the main drive and then offload onto external drives once I've finished with them.
EYE CONTROL AUTOFOCUS

Could be interesting
That sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie :oops: :$ God knows how they can do that with any kind of accuracy.

Dunno :thinking: I always have my raw on the main drive and then offload onto external drives once I've finished with them.

That sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie :oops: :$ God knows how they can do that with any kind of accuracy.
There was a Canon film camera which did this. Unsure of the model number or how effective it was.

EDIT it was the EOS 5.

Last edited:
Will be very surprised if that works well, they tried that many years ago and it didn't although tech has moved on now.
Eye focus worked very well on my EOS3. I have light blue eyes though and those with darker eyes struggled. I suspect it will be a huge success given advances in tech in the last 30 odd years

The Online Photographer talking about portraits and the perfect portrait lens.

Some time ago people wanted soft lenses and it just so happens that I've got a lens that reviewers say is soft arriving this week. Sadly though the adapter wont arrive until next week.

Back when I had film cameras I never worried about sharpness and even when I went digital sharpness wasn't an issue until I got a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and took a picture of my then GF and thought that lenses can be too sharp to be good lenses to use to take pictures of people who'll whinge when they see the result :D

The Online Photographer talking about portraits and the perfect portrait lens.

Some time ago people wanted soft lenses and it just so happens that I've got a lens that reviewers say is soft arriving this week. Sadly though the adapter wont arrive until next week.

Back when I had film cameras I never worried about sharpness and even when I went digital sharpness wasn't an issue until I got a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and took a picture of my then GF and thought that lenses can be too sharp to be good lenses to use to take pictures of people who'll whinge when they see the result :D
As with colour, contrast etc, sharpness is very much in the hands of the togger when it comes to processing.

These days with PC's and processing software yes, if you have the skills and the time to take a picture with a sharp lens and produce the look you want. But some of us have neither :D

Exciting times.
I haven't heard a cheep since 8th April
And it arrived bang on time! According to the box it was made in February this year. Had to walk the dog so now to set it up. I may be some while. I want to make the setup as near as possible to my A7C.

That is lovely :D

And other business...

I've just bought another old lens and adapter. So that's three old lenses and two adapters on their way. My excuse is that I have a significant birthday coming up so these are my prezies to me.

That is lovely :D

And other business...

I've just bought another old lens and adapter. So that's three old lenses and two adapters on their way. My excuse is that I have a significant birthday coming up so these are my prezies to me.
I am puzzled by a word in this sentence. "excuse". What is that please?

I feel the need to justify myself from time to time but I would have a problem justifying any more lenses if I stopped to think about how many I have already.

I feel the need to justify myself from time to time but I would have a problem justifying any more lenses if I stopped to think about how many I have already.

To my way of thinking buying lenses is a form of saving because as long as I buy sensibly should we ever need money in the future I will always get back what I paid.

I'm still trying to think of a good excuse fo buying camera bodies. :thinking:

To my way of thinking buying lenses is a form of saving because as long as I buy sensibly should we ever need money in the future I will always get back what I paid.

I'm still trying to think of a good excuse fo buying camera bodies. :thinking:

I've given up thinking like that.

When I look for lenses I look for ones in good condition and I probably pay over the odds although I do get a bargain now and again. But paying £xx to £xxx for a lens doesn't mean I think I'll get it or anything like it back at some point in the future, not in the sales section on this site anyway and I've never sold anything anywhere else. I did briefly advertise some lenses here at prices which I thought were below what the same lenses were going for on evil bay but there was no interest. I now just buy lenses in the expectation that if/when I die my relatives will just bin them or drop them off at some local charity shop.

And it arrived bang on time! According to the box it was made in February this year. Had to walk the dog so now to set it up. I may be some while. I want to make the setup as near as possible to my A7C.
What was it you ordered?
I've ordered the a7c kit in Silver + 20mm f1.8
If they don't come in the couple of days, its a holiday here next Monday so that can be a further delay

What was it you ordered?
I've ordered the a7c kit in Silver + 20mm f1.8
If they don't come in the couple of days, its a holiday here next Monday so that can be a further delay

I think you'll like that lens. I have one and although I haven't had the chance to use it much I do think it's a very nice lens.

One of my favourites so far.

5NITFWU.jpg

Back