The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I can really see the attraction of the 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2 and I'd love a tilt shift if I had the time to use it but one thing I've never really fancied is a fish eye as I think I'd take two pictures with it and not be happy with either :D Do you think you'd use one a lot and what for?
I had a fish-eye (lens, that is) when I was on Oly m4/3. The novelty soon wore off.

I'm sure they can be used to great effect but I just don't have the time or opportunity to travel and find something that'll make a great picture with one.

I can really see the attraction of the 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2 and I'd love a tilt shift if I had the time to use it but one thing I've never really fancied is a fish eye as I think I'd take two pictures with it and not be happy with either :D Do you think you'd use one a lot and what for?

Tilt shift would be great for some of the commercial stuff we do. A fish eye I wouldn’t use much but for wedding photography it’s the sort of thing you can use now and again for something different. They are especially good for photographs taken from the back of the ceremony and for the dance floor. Just because of the weird look.

I looked at a tilt shift when I had Canon DSLR's but although I'd like one I just don't have the time to justify it.

I can see how a fisheye look will give something different and even special. Good luck with it if you get one.

Drove over to Muker yesterday evening to see the wildflower meadows. On the way back we stopped at this ruin. We have passed it countless times but never had the time to stop. Doesn't look like it is long for this world.

Muker Meadows by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Ruined by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Since my plans for buying the 14GM failed I have been thinking of getting the laowa 12mm f2.8 with the laowa magic shift adapter. Seems like an interesting combination with decent IQ and a lot of potential.
Though this combination wouldn't provide the "tilt" effect but only "shift".

I do... but I think you wanted the 14mm and if you don't get it and buy something else instead maybe you'll soon be thinking about selling that something else and buying the 14mm. Again.

I do... but I think you wanted the 14mm and if you don't get it and buy something else instead maybe you'll soon be thinking about selling that something else and buying the 14mm. Again.

I buy and sell loads anyway. its not a massive issue for me :)

Looks exactly what you'd want in a top bracket prime lens. Not cheap though but good optics aren't. Quality costs.

Top end performing f1.2 lenses aren't cheap but I think it's cheaper than both the Canon and Nikon 50mm f1.2's so "not cheap" is really only applicable when comparing it to 50mm lenses with smaller apertures. Is f1.2 really needed? Wont f1.4 do? f1.8? These are questions potential buyers will need to ask and answer but I'm sure Sony will sell a few of these :D and from what some reviewers are saying the Sony lens seems to be about the best of this batch of mirrorless 50mm f1.2's.

Last edited:
Just been alerted by a mate on here. A1 £5099 e-infinity..

I just had my first play with the A1 tonight and pretty impressed.

The AF is really good, and the Bird AF is better than I thought it would be. In low light it locked on to a ducks eye who was walking away so you could barely see the eye. It also picked up the eye on a small bird in a tree. In both cases I couldn't really see the eye.

High ISO seems to be handled very well, even at 12800 ISO the noise looks more like a grain.

AWB seems to be better (comparing to A7RIV and A9ii)

Only negative I have found so far is the battery life doesn't seem to be great and the camera does get quite warm.

Other than that I look forward to trying it in proper light over the weekend.

Last edited:
I just had my first play with the A1 tonight and pretty impressed.

The AF is really good, and the Bird AF is better than I thought it would be. In low light it locked on to a ducks eye who was walking away so you could barely see the eye. It also picked up the eye on a small bird in a tree. In both cases I couldn't really see the eye.

High ISO seems to be handled very well, even at 12800 ISO the noise looks more like a grain.

AWB seems to be better (comparing to A7RIV and A9ii)

Only negative I have found so far is the battery life doesn't seem to be great and the camera does get quite warm.

Other than that I look forward to trying it in proper light over the weekend.

personally had no issues with battery life or temperature so far.

personally had no issues with battery life or temperature so far.

It's not really an issue but an observation, I had my A7RIV alongside doing pretty much what the A1 was doing but the A1 seemed to drain the battery quicker. It was also a bit warmer, I'm not talking hot but warmer.

It's not really an issue but an observation, I had my A7RIV alongside doing pretty much what the A1 was doing but the A1 seemed to drain the battery quicker. It was also a bit warmer, I'm not talking hot but warmer.

Thinking about it, I had the A1 EVF set to high quality mode, I guess that could be a possible difference.

Thinking about it, I had the A1 EVF set to high quality mode, I guess that could be a possible difference.

can't say really. Just saying I hadn't noticed a difference with the temperature.
The battery rating of A1 is 530 vs. 670 of the A7RIV. So those draining faster is entirely possible.

I personally use "Hi" setting for EVF because it give the 0.9x magnification with 120Hz refresh. Using Hi+ or 240hz refresh drops the EVF magnification to 0.7x with lower res.

Bargain maybe???

Bit of a dodgy company although I have placed a few orders with them and other than slow delivery haven't had any problems really.

Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD £708.69

Bargain maybe???

Bit of a dodgy company although I have placed a few orders with them and other than slow delivery haven't had any problems really.

Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD £708.69

looking on their trust pilot takes a massive leap of faith to buy from them

looking on their trust pilot takes a massive leap of faith to buy from them

Yeah like I said they are a bit dodgy but I have spent about 2 grand with them over 3 orders and it has all arrived okay although delivery was a lot longer than would be normal with the likes of Panamoz etc. Delivery each time has been about 3 weeks. Not sure I would want to deal with them around a faulty product. You pays your money you takes your chance.

Quite a few of the less well known grey market places have this lens for similar money so must be the new going rate.

Ok - for transparency- I already own an a7Riv and an a7Riii - I wish to sell the a7Riii and buy another 2nd body

I use mainly 4 lenses whilst out and about FE 200-600mm , 70-200mm f2.8 - 90mm f2.8 macro and 100-400mm with a 1.4TC depending on what I intend to photograph

I use the 2 bodies with the 200-600mm and the 90mm macro - so changing lenses does not happen often unless I need a 70-200mm f2.8 / 100-400mm for butter flies and the like - I love the a7Riv the a7riii is great but, not up to the performance of the a7Riv ( not wishing to start a debate into why- It just suits me better - so pleae l;ets not let this go like many threads on here

My question is do I go for an a9 or another a7Riv? - I cannot justify the cost of a Sony A1 unless I sold both bodies which I do not want to do

My Sony a7Riii will be up on the sales thread later today or tomorrow with images etc - I have had this camera just over a year bought new from LCE and it has a shutter count of a mere 11,957 which is nothing really- its immaculate having a screen protector on since new - comes with a none sony grip and 2 batteries but I lost the box whilst moving house last year

Question is what should I price this at??? I have quotes from LCE- Park Camera's and MPB - but I would rather a fellow member have this camera + Grip

8p6uWwQ.jpg
Could be a good option to go for the A9 so that you have one camera for absolute IQ/resolution and one for absolute AF and blackout free shooting. However, I would suggest the A9-II as the body design and grip is more similar to the A7RIV.

Spent a couple hours on the dog walk with the 50GM. I’ve got chores to do. Try and post some samples later.

Trying to hold off. I’ve got the zeiss 50mm f1.4 and at less than half the price it’s difficult for me to justify the extra

I think you'd have to be a bit of an obsessive to demand f1.2 over f1.4 but there may well be other things to consider than just the aperture.

I have the Sony 55mm f1.8 and Voigtlander 50mm f2. The Sony has issues one of which is being 55mm not 50mm whilst the Voigtlander is an outstanding lens but is of course MF and f2. I prefer 35mm these days but a really nice and quite compact (maybe the size of the 20mm f1.8) AF 50mm f1.4 may tempt me but I doubt we'll see one now from Sony as the trend seems to be for larger lenses and with Sony they often still have issues such as focus breathing which doesn't bother me and CA in some situations which is annoying at times as my CS5 wont touch it, ticking the correction box seems to have zero effect as far as I can see. A really nice 20mm f1.8 like 50mm f1.8 could maybe tempt me as could a really nice 20mm f1.8 like 35mm f1.8. I rarely have time for this though so there's not a lot of point spending large amounts of money.

Last edited:
You 50mm fans should take a look at the Voigtander 50mm f2, it really is an outstanding lens.

50mm GM
I'm gonna have to learn to stay very still when shooting it.
The depth of field is insane.
Handles well though it's pretty heavy. I wear a neck strap and needed to cradle the camera in my hands while walking.
Just some grabs, all wide open and with a K&F variable ND filter to stop the shutter maxing out at 1/8000

Bug on a Daisy.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Style.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Wildflower.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Focus on the Horse
Good morning to Amy's Nag.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Focus on the rider
Good morning Amy.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

@nandbytes It's NOT for sale

Isn't that a manual lens though? And not 1.2...

I am not looking to collect 50mm lenses or looking for more flavours of 50mm lenses, it's purely a bokeh whore purchase or me. :D

Those with f1.2 lenses can compare the look f1.2 v f2 and decide if it matters.

Back