The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

50mm GM
I'm gonna have to learn to stay very still when shooting it.
The depth of field is insane.
Handles well though it's pretty heavy. I wear a neck strap and needed to cradle the camera in my hands while walking.
Just some grabs, all wide open and with a K&F variable ND filter to stop the shutter maxing out at 1/8000

Bug on a Daisy.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Style.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Wildflower.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Focus on the Horse
Good morning to Amy's Nag.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Focus on the rider
Good morning Amy.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

@nandbytes It's NOT for sale

It’s 778grams that is not heavy

It matters, it matters a lot. :ROFLMAO:

The only modern f1.2 I have is the 40mm Voigtlander and with that I decided f1.2 to f2 usually doesn't matter to me, the bokeh differences between f1.x and smaller only really kick in for me approaching f2.8, but that's just me.

I'm looking for a couple of extra batteries for my Sony a9 and a7iii but they seem to be out of stock everywhere?
Any ideas on where I can get them from quickly please? Ideally for next Friday.

If not, are there any other reliable third party batteries?

Also looking for a charger to charge at least two at a time, any recommendations?

I'm looking for a couple of extra batteries for my Sony a9 and a7iii but they seem to be out of stock everywhere?

Also looking for a charger to charge at least two at a time, any recommendations?

I’ve got one of these

The only modern f1.2 I have is the 40mm Voigtlander and with that I decided f1.2 to f2 usually doesn't matter to me, the bokeh differences between f1.x and smaller only really kick in for me approaching f2.8, but that's just me.

In saying that we shot an engagement session yesterday evening and my missus only used the 55 f/1.8 and her photos are crazy good.

I am actually raging she got such good stuff. :mad:

Those with f1.2 lenses can compare the look f1.2 v f2 and decide if it matters.

It's a massive difference, and AF is HUGE. I buy a lens for a focal length that I think it's the best lens for the job. It's not like this 50mm for photos of tree and that 50mm for photos of the cat. One 50mm will be all shots in that 50mm focal length.

Even if I take Photography 100% as a hobby, I don't think I would collect a bunch of them. I would get the one with the widest aperture I can (or can justify) and stop down to 2.0 if I want to.

And then there is the AF motor, or lack of. That aren't for me.

Last edited:

Have found 3rd party batteries to be very hit and miss for Sony, they aren't for me as they can't be relied on.

W.E.X always have them in stock if you have one of their stores near you.

I have tried quite a few different chargers to be honest I have never found one I was happy with. The Cube chargers Trevor mentioned are very slow compared to the oem chargers, these aren't too bad. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LCD-Display-Dual-Channel-Battery-Charger-NP-FZ100/dp/B07BL1WMGN/ Unlike a lot of the third party chargers they charge direct from the mains rather than usb although they can do that as well and are quicker. To be honest charging direct to the camera is the quickest option especially via USB C on the A7III.

I’ve got one of these

Have found 3rd party batteries to be very hit and miss for Sony, they aren't for me as they can't be relied on.

W.E.X always have them in stock if you have one of their stores near you.

I have tried quite a few different chargers to be honest I have never found one I was happy with. The Cube chargers Trevor mentioned are very slow compared to the oem chargers, these aren't too bad. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LCD-Display-Dual-Channel-Battery-Charger-NP-FZ100/dp/B07BL1WMGN/ Unlike a lot of the third party chargers they charge direct from the mains rather than usb although they can do that as well and are quicker. To be honest charging direct to the camera is the quickest option especially via USB C on the A7III.

Thanks for the advice!

I would like buy Sony original batteries, I have never bought third party, but I have not found them anywhere in stock, not even WEX have them :(
I will be shooting a two day trail run event and need a few batteries to keep me going all day.

The reason for the multi charger is that I have to charge 4 batteries, after finishing work in the evening and have them all 4 ready for early next morning. I could charge on camera 2 of them and the other two on the multi charger?

In saying that we shot an engagement session yesterday evening and my missus only used the 55 f/1.8 and her photos are crazy good.

I am actually raging she got such good stuff. :mad:

For what I take pictures of and for the look I like f1.x isn't really necessary but as the distance increases isolation I suppose becomes more of an issue, and then there's the size of bokeh balls which will often be pretty obvious if comparing f1.2 with f1.8/2 or smaller.

I did have a f0.95 lens for MFT but that's a different matter.

Thanks for the advice!

I would like buy Sony original batteries, I have never bought third party, but I have not found them anywhere in stock, not even WEX have them :(
I will be shooting a two day trail run event and need a few batteries to keep me going all day.

The reason for the multi charger is that I have to charge 4 batteries, after finishing work in the evening and have them all 4 ready for early next morning. I could charge on camera 2 of them and the other two on the multi charger?

Weird they don't have them in-store my local has a metric ton of them and always does.

There is also a company called Andoer that does a charger that can charge 4 at a time.

It's a massive difference, and AF is HUGE. I buy a lens for a focal length that I think it's the best lens for the job. It's not like this 50mm for photos of tree and that 50mm for photos of the cat. One 50mm will be all shots in that 50mm focal length.

Even if I take Photography 100% as a hobby, I don't think I would collect a bunch of them. I would get the one with the widest aperture I can (or can justify) and stop down to 2.0 if I want to.

And then there is the AF motor, or lack of. That aren't for me.

If it's a massive difference or not surely depends on composition and distances and the presence or not of things that will show an obvious difference, such as bokeh balls. Other than bokeh ball size which really doesn't matter all that much to me the differences between f1.x and f1.x or f2.2 matter even less.

I don't buy one lens for a tree and one for a cat either. I bought the 55mm f1.8 because at the time it was the only one. I bought the 40mm f1.2 not because it's f1.2 but because I wanted a modern native mount manual lens and I'd still have bought it if it was f1.4 or f1.8 or f2. I bought the Voigtlander 50mm f2 because I wanted a modern native mount manual 50mm.

I don't see having two modern 50mm-ish lenses as a massive issue. I use the Voigtlander 50mm f2 for the luxury and image quality and I use the 55mm f1.8 if I want to be quicker with AF.

If one of you 50mm f1.2 guys has the time you could always shoot a picture at f1.2 stopping down through the apertures to f2.8 just to show the differences. It's something I've done with my f1.2 and f1.8 lenses and it lead me to decide that smaller than f2, maybe somewhere between f2 and f2.8, is where the differences become significant for me, other than bokeh ball size.

You got to understand that I don’t care for lens characteristics difference for the same aperture, not over having two of the same focal length.

The best lens for that focal length and that’s it. The tree and cat example was just example, stick another word in there as example like you want one with modern Mount and one with that Mount etc. Those are your reasons for having several lenses in similar ball park. The ONLY other lens I have near 50mm if my Canon 45 TSE but it’s a TSE and I seldom if ever shoot that as a 45mm prime without any of the TS enabled.

Sometimes I have 2 lenses of the same focal length after upgrading but after a few weeks of settling in, I sell the other one. Like when I have photos of 3 x 85mm during the transition from Canon to Sony. They get sold when I figure out which one I use more.

So when you say “try a Voilander at f2…” that’s just no, like you don’t understand why I buy a lens. I don’t “try” lenses, especially a manual one. The perspective of where I’m coming from is very different to yours.

Last edited:
Raymond. Calm down. I'm not having a pop at anything or anyone and everything I post is my own opinion.

I like having a modern AF lens and a modern MF one too. You don't. I understand.

Raymond. Calm down. I'm not having a pop at anything or anyone and everything I post is my own opinion.

I like having a modern AF lens and a modern MF one too. You don't. I understand.

I am calm…

I understand why you have a collection of lenses but I don’t think you understand why we buy 1.2, when you suggest we buy a 2.0. That comment is proof that you don’t understand, I’m afraid.

Like I won’t ever say to you “sell it all and get a 1.2”, because what’s not why you buy lenses. I know that, but do you know why we buy the 1.2?

Last edited:
Genuine question, can you see a real difference in DOF etc between f1.2 and f1.4 FF lenses or do people just buy f1.2 for the light gathering?

Genuine question, can you see a real difference in DOF etc between f1.2 and f1.4 FF lenses or do people just buy f1.2 for the light gathering?

I can tell, but the client probably can’t. I shot the Canon 85/1.2 for years, the GM 1.4 just doesn’t have the same look.

This would be more self serving bokeh whore gear acquisition than anything else.

I can tell, but the client probably can’t. I shot the Canon 85/1.2 for years, the GM 1.4 just doesn’t have the same look.

This would be more self serving bokeh whore gear acquisition than anything else.
Thanks. Would you say that's more down to the aperture or more down to lens design? Canon have a lot of lovely rendering lenses :love:

So back from 4 nights away in Bridport, Dorset.

My dog Rosie injured her leg on the deep shingle on the beach and we thought she was a goner. Didn't want to move.

So a trip to the vets in the morning saw her have a pain relief injection and a course of Metacam for a fortnight. (£80).

Thank God for that!

On the same stretch of shingle I went arse over tit and bloodied both knees quite deeply (but still took some photos).

Lastly it took us 6 hours & 50 minutes to get back to Worcestershire yesterday. Bloody M5 was at a standstill so decided to go A303 and up through Wiltshire. Jesus!!

Oh well, home now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m5aHp1]Tidal by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m59wkq]Incoming by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m56EBx]Washed by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

I’ve got one of these

I have one of those, so nearly a good device, having to change plates and needing the pin device really annoyed me.

I ended up getting one of these from US Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Batteri...d=1623520742&sprefix=isdt+sony,aps,230&sr=8-3

Great device, arrived in a week and I've been really happy so far

Thanks. Would you say that's more down to the aperture or more down to lens design? Canon have a lot of lovely rendering lenses :love:

The canon is not the sharpest, not by a long shot but it has that look, it’s actually a close cousin to the Canon 50/1.0 (the 50/1.2 has a different design), and the bokeh from the 1.2 just gives a very soft background blur.

I’ve seen comparisons between the 50 GM vs the Zeiss, the difference is minimum but it is there. The difference is more pronounced when the background is closer and in that regard, it’s very useful when shooting subjects in a room.

View: https://youtu.be/n28wOhUIGq0

Last edited:
I have one of those, so nearly a good device, having to change plates and needing the pin device really annoyed me.

I ended up getting one of these from US Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Batteries-Cyber-Shot-DSC-RX100-DSC-RX100M/dp/B07K1VJD85/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZQFMFFT49LKI&dchild=1&keywords=isdt+sony+charger&qid=1623520742&sprefix=isdt+sony,aps,230&sr=8-3

Great device, arrived in a week and I've been really happy so far

I have tried getting one of those twice from China but orders were cancelled because of no stock. They don’t seem to be available any more.

Does it have a battery refresh mode I remember reading a review that mentioned it about a year or so ago but never seen it mentioned any where else.

I am calm…

I understand why you have a collection of lenses but I don’t think you understand why we buy 1.2, when you suggest we buy a 2.0. That comment is proof that you don’t understand, I’m afraid.

Like I won’t ever say to you “sell it all and get a 1.2”, because what’s not why you buy lenses. I know that, but do you know why we buy the 1.2?
I didn't suggest you buy the f2 instead of the f1.2. I just suggested that 50mm fans should take a look at the f2. And having two modern 50mm-ish lenses is hardly a collection.

The only way to see the differences and decide if they matter is to shoot multiple pictures at different distances stepping through the aperture range from f1.2 to say f2.8. As I suggested above. Trying different lenses introduces too many potential differences. I've tried this with my f1.2 and f1.8 lenses and decided I don't care about it until nearing f2.8 but for others it is clearly something they care about.

If someone could shoot aperture sequences for the 50mm f1.2 that'd be lovely.

I didn't suggest you buy the f2 instead of the f1.2. I just suggested that 50mm fans should take a look at the f2. And having two modern 50mm-ish lenses is hardly a collection.

It’s a different mindset, the people who are looking at the GM are looking for an snappy auto focus, sharp, and fast 1.2 lens with the latest optical with the coating to minimise CA.

I can’t speak for Trev or f/2.8 but if the 50mm doesn’t have an auto focus motor and it’s slower than my Zeiss 1.4, I’m just not going to consider it, at all. Regardless of anything else. Not as a second lens, certainly not as the only 50mm in the bag.

I would take the 50mm I already have and stop down.

The ONLY scenario would be if I get an old film camera and get 1 lens, then I’ll probably get a 50mm of sorts and that’s all part and parcel of going the whole hog of film and old lenses. With a modern body, I’ll just stick to modern lenses.

Last edited:
I had a lovely time today at Blair Drummond with my Sony 35mm 1.4 but I do find myself often unnecessarily shooting at 1.4 just because the lens can do it rather than actually selecting the best aperture, if that makes any sense?

I got a bit of video going and had a quick look just there and I wish it had OSS. Let's see what Davinci's stabilisation tool can do to help but that aside even in video it's a lovely lens. Definitely getting a separate mic for on top though.

The only way to see the differences and decide if they matter is to shoot multiple pictures at different distances stepping through the aperture range from f1.2 to say f2.8. As I suggested above. Trying different lenses introduces too many potential differences. I've tried this with my f1.2 and f1.8 lenses and decided I don't care about it until nearing f2.8 but for others it is clearly something they care about.

If someone could shoot aperture sequences for the 50mm f1.2 that'd be lovely.
Stopping down, what’s that? ;)

I have tried getting one of those twice from China but orders were cancelled because of no stock. They don’t seem to be available any more.

Does it have a battery refresh mode I remember reading a review that mentioned it about a year or so ago but never seen it mentioned any where else.

That link was for Amazon US, (it is in Stock) I ordered and it arrived in a week, will have to read the manual and see about the refresh mode though, only been charging so far...

Last edited:
50mm GM
I'm gonna have to learn to stay very still when shooting it.
The depth of field is insane.
Handles well though it's pretty heavy. I wear a neck strap and needed to cradle the camera in my hands while walking.
Just some grabs, all wide open and with a K&F variable ND filter to stop the shutter maxing out at 1/8000

Bug on a Daisy.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Style.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Wildflower.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Focus on the Horse
Good morning to Amy's Nag.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Focus on the rider
Good morning Amy.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

@nandbytes It's NOT for sale

The colour rendering looks exquisite.

What's this pish about Sony colours I've heard - these look as natural as the ones from the 645z.

I had a lovely time today at Blair Drummond with my Sony 35mm 1.4 but I do find myself often unnecessarily shooting at 1.4 just because the lens can do it rather than actually selecting the best aperture, if that makes any sense?

I got a bit of video going and had a quick look just there and I wish it had OSS. Let's see what Davinci's stabilisation tool can do to help but that aside even in video it's a lovely lens. Definitely getting a separate mic for on top though.

All the wedding video guys hate the 35GM they are all using the 35 f/1.8 because it has no focus breathing.

The difference stands out a mile for me.

Nobody else seems to notice.

Been showing my missus sample photos etc and she says they are the same.

Women:rolleyes:
Lol.

That’s the thing isn’t it, we all see things differently. It’s like I can see that special “Leica look” (with the older lenses anyway) whereas others’ don’t and just say it’s in people’s heads.

Back