The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

"But what I ABSOLUTELY LOVE about this lens is that they didn’t try to negate all lens flare. Yes, you can get a lens flare. And that’s very important to portrait photographers. I tested this with the lens hood on and off. And I adore the lens flare I can get. The scene above reminds me of something I’d probably see in the Lord of the Rings. And how can you complain? More importantly, why would you complain? It means you don’t need to spend hours and hours in editing to get the lens flare look."

I've never actually spent hours in editing trying to get that flare look myself but I do appreciate that some people do.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a Batis 40 - I was heading into town today anyway so I wanted to do click and collect at either Wex or Park Camera. When I tried that the earliest date I was offered was Tue so I ended up ordering it from Panamoz instead, it has already shipped so Im quite impressed.
It will be a long wait as I have wanted this lens for what feels like forever!

I also discovered on a random walk that Croydon has a vintage camera shop, It is a proper old school place with cameras piled high and more manual vintage lenses than i have ever seen in one place. I spent a good hour talking to the son of the owner who was really nice and his dad is 91 and been running it since 1959 and still does the odd day!
Im not doing anything this close to Xmas, but in Jan I think I will buy myself a film camera just for the sheer hell of it. I might get a Pentax seeing as I have so much glass, and it would be nice to see them used as they were meant to be. Or I might pick a different brand for another look..
I can remember my dad having a tiny camera, it was an Olympus and it sort of pulled apart to operate and then he closed it up when done, I remember that impressed me as a kid.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a Batis 40 - I was heading into town today anyway so I wanted to do click and collect at either Wex or Park Camera. When I tried that the earliest date I was offered was Tue so I ended up ordering it from Panamoz instead, it has already shipped so Im quite impressed.
It will be a long wait as I have wanted this lens for what feels like forever!

I also discovered on a random walk that Croydon has a vintage camera shop, It is a proper old school place with cameras piled high and more manual vintage lenses than i have ever seen in one place. I spent a good hour talking to the son of the owner who was really nice and his dad is 91 and been running it since 1959 and still does the odd day!
Im not doing anything this close to Xmas, but in Jan I think I will buy myself a film camera just for the sheer hell of it. I might get a Pentax seeing as I have so much glass, and it would be nice to see them used as they were meant to be. Or I might pick a different brand for another look..
I can remember my dad having a tiny camera, it was an Olympus and it sort of pulled apart to operate and then he closed it up when done, I remember that impressed me as a kid.

Panamoz is usually around a week so..... Should be with you by next weekend easily :)

I almost went for the Batis40 when it was released but I just don't like the look of them (I know that sounds silly) & I'd already sold the 85mm for the FE85 too. I went for the Voigtlander 40/1.2 back then instead.

Shop sounds great. Sis in Law lives near Croydon so I'll remember that when we next visit :ROFLMAO:

what shop is this?
mind giving a name/address?

That sounds like one of the Olympus XA series. I've still got an original XA with the A11 flash in a fitted case. The camera has an "Excellent" 35mm Zuiko F2.8 Lens and is aperture priority.

Panamoz is usually around a week so..... Should be with you by next weekend easily :)

I almost went for the Batis40 when it was released but I just don't like the look of them (I know that sounds silly) & I'd already sold the 85mm for the FE85 too. I went for the Voigtlander 40/1.2 back then instead.

Shop sounds great. Sis in Law lives near Croydon so I'll remember that when we next visit :ROFLMAO:
I feel the same way, the whole Batis series are ugly, but the 40 especially. But I can build a set of primes around a 67mm filter and I love the Zeiss image quality, next up will be the Batis 85, Check the shop instagram page as they aren't open full time and do funny hours, but it really is worth a visit.
what shop is this?
mind giving a name/address?
Of course I can
When they are not open he said just ring him if there was anything I was looking for. that shop was a proper little Aladdin's cave. They seem more active on instagram than anywhere else and the website doesn't exist any more. They also have just started doing dark room lessons/training..

51707930526_3e305f3b44_h.jpg

That sounds like one of the Olympus XA series. I've still got an original XA with the A11 flash in a fitted case. The camera has an "Excellent" 35mm Zuiko F2.8 Lens and is aperture priority.
You star! Thank you for that. That's the one though I thing it might have been the second or third version as I remember it being more tiny..

Last edited:
I feel the same way, the whole Batis series are ugly, but the 40 especially. But I can build a set of primes around a 67mm filter and I love the Zeiss image quality, next up will be the Batis 85, Check the shop instagram page as they aren't open full time and do funny hours, but it really is worth a visit.

Of course I can
When they are not open he said just ring him if there was anything I was looking for. that shop was a proper little Aladdin's cave. They seem more active on instagram than anywhere else and the website doesn't exist any more. They also have just started doing dark room lessons/training..

You star! Thank you for that. That's the one though I thing it might have been the second or third version as I remember it being more tiny..

Cheers (y)

I've got a 67mm filter set up myself. But it's now the 35GM, FE85 & 20G :facepalm:

Of course I can

Thank you, I'll give them a visit when I'm feeling better :)

I was looking at OM10's on line yesterday but I managed to stop myself. I briefly went back to film years ago but it didn't last and I can't see myself doing that again.

Is anyone else waiting on an A7 IV order? Announcing the camera and not releasing for months is a little ridiculous.

I hope it turns up soon, though somewhat suspect I’ve got at least another month to wait,
Got my order in, decided against the A1 as the extra 3k allowed me to get all the lenses i wanted moving back from Canon.

I was looking at OM10's on line yesterday but I managed to stop myself. I briefly went back to film years ago but it didn't last and I can't see myself doing that again.
I had that bug, shot half a film with the OM1 and never got round to finishing it :LOL:

I'm having a mind blank, what do you call the stickers that you can buy to cover a lens. I have seen the camouflage ones for the white telephoto lenses, I was going to look for one for my Batis

Got my order in, decided against the A1 as the extra 3k allowed me to get all the lenses i wanted moving back from Canon.
I see A7IV deliveries have been happening all over Europe. I guess we’re in for a longer wait in the UK, perhaps similar to the US. I have no real clue though but I’d quite like it before Christmas as I haven’t had a working camera since September!

WoWza.

Anyone else hit by the big storm? We had some roof damage plus two brick pillars of the garden fence blown down so that's a couple of unexpected bills to pay. Then we got snow. I remember it snowed on Mrs WW's birthday (that's next week) a few years ago but 27th is the earliest I remember it snowing here in recent times.

Anyway. The scene. A7 and Voigt;ander 35mm f1.4.

PjfuM7P.jpg

XTjKq2y.jpg

It it carries on like this there should be quite a covering in the morning so we might get to go for a walk in the snow.

Last edited:
I see A7IV deliveries have been happening all over Europe. I guess we’re in for a longer wait in the UK, perhaps similar to the US. I have no real clue though but I’d quite like it before Christmas as I haven’t had a working camera since September!
I’ve ordered grey as they actually have stock, should be here by Friday. :)

Or anything above the Sony A7? lol
But it’s all about what you actually need…. at this moment in time I need more TSLA shares over camera gear lol

To be honest it's not really that I'm tight it's more that I was brought up to use things until they weren't useable and couldn't be repaired anymore and on top of that I do feel a bit guilty spending money on myself plus of course the A7 really does 90+ plus of what I want. The only things missing are faster response/AF and silent shooting although better face/eye detect would be nice too as the A7 doesn't recognise faces that are getting a bit small in the frame and I gather that newer cameras do.

You changed your little picture Riz?

I'm having a mind blank, what do you call the stickers that you can buy to cover a lens. I have seen the camouflage ones for the white telephoto lenses, I was going to look for one for my Batis
I'd go with the neoprene ones that add protection, they're called coats, sometimes covers.

Okay guys, those of you with the 200-600 I am talking to you! :D

I have the lens incoming, I want the smallest backpack that can fit the lens mounted to camera (with hood reversed). I don't need space for loads of extra lenses or tripod/monopod etc, trying to find a small comfortable backpack for this set up. I have found some talk that the Lowepro 200 AWii can fit this set up and it's nice and light/cheap.

I have bigger bags, but I want something as small as possible for my frequent visits to an RSPB reserve where I only take the lens and body.

Thanks in advance for any help (y)

A Kodak film with a different look.

There's a Sigma 35mm f2 in the for sale section.
It can stay there at that price, it's more expensive than brand new currently.

Last edited:
The seller may be willing to haggle but at the stated price I'd think I'd be looking at a new one even without cashback.

I'll have to stop looking at gear as I just don't have the time or opportunity to use what I have never mind adding more stuff.

Last edited:
A Kodak film with a different look.

That is pretty unique isn't it! I don't think it looks right too often either, much nicer with a very minimalist scene.

As it happens i have been looking at 35mm lenses to go onto my A7R2, and considered the Sony 1.8 but the Sigma seems better built and have slightly better bokeh, i am not fussed about the f1.8 >> f2 difference in aperature.
So i have got my eye on the Sigma with cashback £439 seems a good deal.

1st question Anyone got or used the Sigma 35mm f2 dg dn.
2nd question Has anyone ever bought anything from Castle Cameras, Any issues ?

That is pretty unique isn't it! I don't think it looks right too often either, much nicer with a very minimalist scene.

At first I thought that looks really nice but that only lasted about 10 seconds and after that I wondered how many pictures I'd want like that? 1? 2?

As it happens i have been looking at 35mm lenses to go onto my A7R2, and considered the Sony 1.8 but the Sigma seems better built and have slightly better bokeh, i am not fussed about the f1.8 >> f2 difference in aperature.

Two things I like about the Sony 35mm f1.8 are that it's quite quick to focus even on my old A7 and the close focus ability is nice. If looking at this v the Sigma I'd want to get close to both with the Sigma. The Sigma is nicely built though whereas the Sony just looks like yet another bland modern AF lens. At least with the Sigma it looks like someone gave a flying what it looks like when designing it.

I'd suggest looking at samyang 35mm f1.8 AF FE also.

All good lenses with their own positive and negatives.

I'd go with the neoprene ones that add protection, they're called coats, sometimes covers.

Just had a quick look, the neoprene ones tend to be more for the telephoto zooms with various camouflage patterns. I guess the 40 isn't popular enough or the right type of lens for that. Im happy just to have something I can put over it to stop any wear showing more than anything else, keep it nice and new.

WoWza.

Anyone else hit by the big storm? We had some roof damage plus two brick pillars of the garden fence blown down so that's a couple of unexpected bills to pay. Then we got snow. I remember it snowed on Mrs WW's birthday (that's next week) a few years ago but 27th is the earliest I remember it snowing here in recent times.

It it carries on like this there should be quite a covering in the morning so we might get to go for a walk in the snow.

Just got back from a weekend photography trip to Snowdonia.

The camper was rocking alright. Never been in such windy conditions.

Excellent fun though.

Didn't get the drone out. Wonder why?

Just had a quick look, the neoprene ones tend to be more for the telephoto zooms with various camouflage patterns. I guess the 40 isn't popular enough or the right type of lens for that. Im happy just to have something I can put over it to stop any wear showing more than anything else, keep it nice and new.
Ahh right, thought we were talking teles. I’ve never seen other lenses covered tbh.

Out for a wee bit with Mutley this morning. I need to get an assistant who can throw a ball as the wife throws like I imagine Jacob Reece Mogg would. First image is my dog and second my wife's friend(she can't throw either). Gets a bit cold lying in the snow for about an hour waiting for the very occasional throw to give me a chance of catching a shot. It never really happened and by the time it did the dogs were tiring and the images didn't have enough energy. These two were the best I managed.

_A9_8626 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_8312 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Just a little bit of light hearted fun for a cold Mon morning

My last order with Panamoz was on 15/07/2020, how many orders have Pananmoz received since then?
I have taken the order number from My Batis lens from Fri and subtracted the order number for my last purchase last year - who wants to have a guess at the number of orders they have had?

I also see that Venus Optics have released a new 2:1 macro lens. If the reviews are any good, I could potentially be interested in this, it is small and light, has 2:1 magnification and I could combine this with my a6000 for a Focal Length of 127.5mm so could shoot from further away - if it any good of course.

Last edited:

My last order with Panamoz 15/07/2020, how many orders have Pananmoz received since then?
I have taken the order number from My Batis lens from Fri and subtracted the order number for my last purchase last year - who wants to have a guess at the number of orders they have had?
Not so sure these days, they aren't all that cheap compared to what they used to be, especially in the days of the discount for bank transfer as well.

My last order with Panamoz 15/07/2020, how many orders have Pananmoz received since then?

I've got no idea but I'll have a guess. From UK or worldwide? Anyway... 10,855?

Okay guys, those of you with the 200-600 I am talking to you! :D

I have the lens incoming, I want the smallest backpack that can fit the lens mounted to camera (with hood reversed). I don't need space for loads of extra lenses or tripod/monopod etc, trying to find a small comfortable backpack for this set up. I have found some talk that the Lowepro 200 AWii can fit this set up and it's nice and light/cheap.

I have bigger bags, but I want something as small as possible for my frequent visits to an RSPB reserve where I only take the lens and body.

Thanks in advance for any help (y)
Yes it does, just. Bit of a squeeze though.

Back