The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That's what I've also done! :D

I've got no idea but I'll have a guess. From UK or worldwide? Anyway... 10,855?

I have no idea, Im just looking at the difference between my 2 order numbers, I assume worldwide, as is is their slightly dodgy business model that is their selling point!
I will reveal the answer this afternoon!

Okay guys, those of you with the 200-600 I am talking to you! :D

I have the lens incoming, I want the smallest backpack that can fit the lens mounted to camera (with hood reversed). I don't need space for loads of extra lenses or tripod/monopod etc, trying to find a small comfortable backpack for this set up. I have found some talk that the Lowepro 200 AWii can fit this set up and it's nice and light/cheap.

I have bigger bags, but I want something as small as possible for my frequent visits to an RSPB reserve where I only take the lens and body.

Thanks in advance for any help (y)

Pretty good guide here

I have some kind of a lowepro that can fit this with camera mounted. Haven't used it since I bought it. I will check later and report back which version it was. I did post a picture on this thread about it a while back you can may be search it if you like (seem have lost my searching mojo!)

Just a little bit of light hearted fun for a cold Mon morning

My last order with Panamoz was on 15/07/2020, how many orders have Pananmoz received since then?
I have taken the order number from My Batis lens from Fri and subtracted the order number for my last purchase last year - who wants to have a guess at the number of orders they have had?

I also see that Venus Optics have released a new 2:1 macro lens. If the reviews are any good, I could potentially be interested in this, it is small and light, has 2:1 magnification and I could combine this with my a6000 for a Focal Length of 127.5mm so could shoot from further away - if it any good of course.
It depends if they have different order numbers for different parts of the world. If worldwide I'll guess 550,000.

The number of orders @panamoz from July last year to last Fri is 17977..

That looks pretty good (in theory), nice small lens and I don't care about it only being f5.6 as I shoot at f16-22 for macro anyway. I wonder what the working distance is?
If used on APSC, the FL is a little longer than normal at 127.7, It could be a nice lightweight macro setup..

That looks pretty good (in theory), nice small lens and I don't care about it only being f5.6 as I shoot at f16-22 for macro anyway. I wonder what the working distance is?
the specs say min. focus distance is 16.3cm which isn't bad if that's at 2:1.
For example the sony 90mm macro is 28cm at 1:1. So the loawa would be 32.5cm at 1:1?

If used on APSC, the FL is a little longer than normal at 127.7, It could be a nice lightweight macro setup..
working distance doesn't change regardless of the sensor size you use
neither does the focal length for that matter.
Both are physical property of a lens independent of the sensor size.

What changes is the field of view.

the specs say min. focus distance is 16.3cm which isn't bad if that's at 2:1.
For example the sony 90mm macro is 28cm at 1:1. So the loawa would be 32.5cm at 1:1?
32.5cm at 1:1's pretty acceptable, similar to my old Sigma 105mm (y)

A couple from today.

A7 and Sony 24mm f2.8.

Working up an appetite.

IYX4wRE.jpg

Food!

g9JRv4w.jpg

She had a conversation with the waiter about her meal not being authentic Thai (in fact she never shut up about it.) The waiter said the chef is Thai but they have to cook for the locals. TBH I think her more authentic version is better.

Last edited:
A couple from today.

A7 and Sony 24mm f2.8.

Working up an appetite.

IYX4wRE.jpg

Food!

g9JRv4w.jpg

She had a conversation with the waiter about her meal not being authentic Thai (in fact she never shut up about it.) The waiter said the chef is Thai but they have to cook for the locals. TBH I think her more authentic version is better.
I love Thai food, make a lot myself, Jungle Curry being my favourite.

I'll ask the Mrs about that. She makes a few recipes for me which I think are very good.
I go as far as sitting with the pestle and mortar for about an hour making the paste.

I saw that, seems a wee bit weaker in corners than their 100mm macro but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. Also the focus throw seems to be small again but may be not at macro distances. The really small focus throw on 100mm really put me off so much so I sold it. So that's a deal-breaker.
I will wait and see if Dustin Abbott does a review also.

I saw that, seems a wee bit weaker in corners than their 100mm macro but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. Also the focus throw seems to be small again but may be not at macro distances. The really small focus throw on 100mm really put me off so much so I sold it. So that's a deal-breaker.
I will wait and see if Dustin Abbott does a review also.

I'm not so concerned at the corners as 99% of the time I will crop a macro shot but the f/5.6 is a bit of a let down. I know it probably has to be slow to get the size and normally I would shoot macro at around f/8 anyway but I do use f/2.8 at times.

I just got an email from WEX to say my A7 IV is in stock!

Delivery tomorrow. Exciting!

I also just had my local store call me to say they have stock.
Cheers.

I managed to get their last one. Much appreciated.

Eddie

All you lot getting new cameras... I feel left out :D

Will look forward to your views and pictures. Don't forget to post! :D

I'm not so concerned at the corners as 99% of the time I will crop a macro shot but the f/5.6 is a bit of a let down. I know it probably has to be slow to get the size and normally I would shoot macro at around f/8 anyway but I do use f/2.8 at times.
yeah its mainly just for macro and may be some landscapes too. I did use the laowa 100mm at f2.8 and got some nice pictures with it. but the small focus throw made it really hard to use :(

Last edited:
All you lot getting new cameras... I feel left out :D

Will look forward to your views and pictures. Don't forget to post! :D

this is my first new camera for 10 years! A forced change after my 5dmk2 killed itself and is now relegated to retirement on my shelf.

Last edited:
this is my first new camera for 10 years! A forced change after my 5dmk2 killed itself and is now relegated to retirement on my shelf.

I haven't ever had a camera that's died. I suppose I've just been lucky.

I haven't ever had a camera that's died. I suppose I've just been lucky.
To be fair it is over 10 years old and has had a fair amount of fairly rough use hiking all over the world. I’m surprised it lasted this long! I’ll keep it forever as I’ve had good times with it. It’s earned it’s retirement on my shelf.

Well the weekend in Snowdonia was rather interesting.

If I'd not been with a mate I think I'd have bottled it.

Parked up Friday night in Llanberis carpark by the Lone Tree far enough from the trees to be safe. Still the van was being rocked all night.

Saturday night we parked at Penmon Point which was also rather blowy.

All in all a great weekend. Not many images of note, the conditions were quite extreme of course.

Here's a couple from the weekend:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mMNeJv]Lone Tree, Llanberis by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Penmon Lighthouse in storm Arwen by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Well the weekend in Snowdonia was rather interesting.

If I'd not been with a mate I think I'd have bottled it.

Parked up Friday night in Llanberis carpark by the Lone Tree far enough from the trees to be safe. Still the van was being rocked all night.

Saturday night we parked at Penmon Point which was also rather blowy.

All in all a great weekend. Not many images of note, the conditions were quite extreme of course.

Here's a couple from the weekend:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mMNeJv]Lone Tree, Llanberis by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Penmon Lighthouse in storm Arwen by Terence Rees, on Flickr
Love the lighthouse.

Hi

Thanks Trevor, although I have been lurking now and again, now retired I thought I would get more serious about my photography again.
Glad to hear it mate.

Nope sorry, can't bring myself to watch it.

I would rather watch the Northrop's and that's saying something.

If you're interested in the lens but can't stand the guy there's the CC option.

That lens doesn't interest me as it's almost certainly too big and heavy and I don't generally tend to like using zooms anyway, but I can see how some might like it.

The Northrups aren't just annoying IMO, they're just full of and keep spouting clickbait BS. At least Ken Rockwell has some useful stuff on lenses.

OK. I get the message.

I can't say I like his style but these are IMO often interesting vids if you can get passed how affected he is, and I personally can. However. After the negative posts that have followed each time I post one of his this is the last and although I will probably continue to watch some of his/their vids if I find it interesting unless it really is game changing stuff I wont post any more here :D

I think the most interesting of his for me was the one he did about the new compact Sony primes. I didn't buy mine just off the back of that review as I watched and read a few but his was IMO a good one, despite the affectedness :D

Last edited:
Back