The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just read on another site someone saying "unmeasurable magical quality" in relation to a lens.

Things like this make me cringe. We may not be able to measure what we like in a photograph or truly understand how the lens was designed to give this look or indeed know if the aspect of the look we like is deliberately designed in or in reality a lucky accident of the combination of the design teams preferences and the compromises imposed by the brief they were given. Whatever. This isn't magic and I'm sure if we try we can do better. We can describe the elements of the image that please us, the colour, contrast, sharpness, bokeh, veiling, flare, vignetting, any and all or lack of, let alone the fact that other things such as the distance at which the shot was taken could influence the final look. etc. If asked, I'd rather try than think it's unmeasurable indescribable magic.

I'll have a cup of tea and calm down :D

Last edited:
Just read on another site someone saying "unmeasurable magical quality" in relation to a lens.

Things like this make me cringe. We may not be able to measure what we like in a photograph or truly understand how the lens was designed to give this look or indeed know if the aspect of the look we like is deliberately designed in or in reality a lucky accident of the combination of the design teams preferences and the compromises imposed by the brief they were given. Whatever. This isn't magic and I'm sure if we try we can do better. We can describe the elements of the image that please us, the colour. contrast, sharpness, bokeh, veiling, flare, vignetting, any and all or lack of, let alone the fact that other things such as the distance at which the shot was taken could influence the final look. etc. If asked, I'd rather try than think it's unmeasurable indescribable magic.

It's not just photography one that always stands out in mountain biking to me is when they talk about suspension as "slick" or "butter" when they actually mean "reduced stiction"

Perhaps the only sensible approach is (for example) "here's a picture I took with my Sony A65 and a Tamron 16~300mm lens - enjoy"... :naughty:

Wire frame model Helicopter Weston Super Mare A65 ADSC01678 lith.JPG

The comments about the winner are maybe valid as I'm old enough to remember some of the movies in which objects obscured someones anatomy (my favourite example being the animated version of Beowulf) but the picture taker may not have seen this before and I don't remember seeing this done (with humour) in wedding photography before but maybe other people have. Anyway. It may not be a particularly original idea/picture and it may not be as visually stunning as some others but I do think it's fun.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh, and if anyone is looking for a manual 24mm f2.8 I have one in the classifieds, in the film section. A Canon FD fit Miranda "Macro."

Why the fried egg eyes? Surprised I'm actually trying to sell a lens rather than buying more? :D I know this is unexpected but the Sony 24mm f2.8 G has sort of pushed my film era 24mm lenses aside as it's better than any of them. It's not really a true macro, as you might have guessed, but it does focus quite a bit closer than you'd expect a film era 24mm to focus.

I wont be too upset if no one wants it as it does make a nice companion to my FD 50mm f1.8, 24 and 50 do IMO make a nice pairing to go out with. But I also have a Canon FD 24mm f2.8.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about trying to sell the majority of my MF primes and just keeping 2, 3 or 4. I really don't have the time to use them like I used to as MF is best suited to times when I'm by myself and not holding people up while faffing on and these days I get so little time to myself. I used to try and use them in rotation. Been thinking of selling my Voigtlanders too but I might / probably will end up keeping the lot as things can be very slow to sell or only sell at silly prices here. I could box the lot up and send to to Ffordes. I'll have a think.

If they are poplar the company might have to branch out into other markets.

I've been thinking about trying to sell the majority of my MF primes and just keeping 2, 3 or 4. I really don't have the time to use them like I used to as MF is best suited to times when I'm by myself and not holding people up while faffing on and these days I get so little time to myself. I used to try and use them in rotation. Been thinking of selling my Voigtlanders too but I might / probably will end up keeping the lot as things can be very slow to sell or only sell at silly prices here. I could box the lot up and send to to Ffordes. I'll have a think.

I got a few quotes from MPB & WEX & decided I was better off keeping them than selling at the prices they were offering........

Yay, my Batis has arrived Didn't need to do the FW update, it had already been applied which was good. Now I just have to wait for the lens coat to arrive before I can take it out. It's not as big as I thought it would be, I think it looks good my camera.
My wife is laughing at me...

I got a few quotes from MPB & WEX & decided I was better off keeping them than selling at the prices they were offering........
For me, old film lenses are special, modern lens designs are pin sharp but rely on in camera corrections to correct (in my opinion) too many faults. Older lenses have more faults but are also more balanced if that makes sense

For me, old film lenses are special, modern lens designs are pin sharp but rely on in camera corrections to correct (in my opinion) too many faults. Older lenses have more faults but are also more balanced if that makes sense

It was only the Voigtlander 40/1.4 Classic that was 'older' - But still, with what they offered I decided I'd rather keep it as at least it looks pretty :)

I'm not overly bombarded with them like you as much as I once was.

The Voigtlander 21/3.5 is still boxed but unsold :rolleyes:
The 40mm Classic ^ see previous post.
The Voigtlander 40/1.2E isn't realistically going anywhere is it? :ROFLMAO:

My other manuals are the Yashica 28/2.8, 50/1.9, 135/2.8 & Contax 80-200/4 - All of which I use on the Yashica FX3 shooting film so..... I often think about going out for the day or going away with just the film kit & the A7 body/adapter. But I just can't do it :ROFLMAO:

I have a few available too (Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4, Pentacon 50mm f/1.8, Praktica 135mm f/2.8, Cosina 200mm f/3.5) all available inclusive of Sony E Mount adapters.

Let me know of any interest and I'll list in the proper section of the forum (y)

Last edited:
I'll try and list mine.

Minolta Rokkor - 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 45mm f2, 50mm f1.7, f1.4 and f1.2, 55mm f1.7, 85mm f2 and 135mm f2.8.
Minolta fit - Tokina 17mm f3.5, Vivitar 19mm f3.8, Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro and a 70-210mm Tokina zoom.

Canon FD - 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 x2 (one is the older metal bodied one) and 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8.
FD fit - Miranda 24mm f2.8.

Olympus Zuiko - 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5.

Nikon - Nippon Kogaku 24 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and f1.4, AIS 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2, Series E 28mm f2.8 and 35mm f2.5.

Takumar - 28 and 35mm f3.5, 50mm f1.4.

Chinon - 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4.

Novoflex adapters for Minolta, Olympus and Canon FD, cheap adapters for the others.

Modern - Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2 APO.

There's more than one person here on the site with a lot more, I'm sure. It'd be lovely to be able to go for long walks with a few lenses but these days it's just not possible and the film era lenses just aren't getting used now. I have used them all and taken quite a few pictures with each so they have all been used and enjoyed plus there was the pleasure of researching and finding them and testing them. It would make sense to just keep a few or even just one whole mount set.

Been off this forum for many years, hope everyone is doing well! Good to see an old school forum still going strong!

Any fellow A1 shooters? How are yous finding battery life ? Obviously there’s a lot going on under the hood so lesser battery life I suppose is to be expected. Shot a wedding with it the other day and it was quite a surprise to see it hammer through the batteries

Been off this forum for many years, hope everyone is doing well! Good to see an old school forum still going strong!

Any fellow A1 shooters? How are yous finding battery life ? Obviously there’s a lot going on under the hood so lesser battery life I suppose is to be expected. Shot a wedding with it the other day and it was quite a surprise to see it hammer through the batteries
It does chew through batteries a bit, but I don't find it too bad

Compared to my a7iii I'm getting approx 85%. Had to change both batteries in the grip around mid afternoon during a job this week. It's on airplane mode and I hardly use the rear screen. Don't mind too much as the anti flicker on electronic shutter works a lot better than the a7iii, no more shooting everything at 1/100th or slower.

Last edited:
Compared to my a7iii I'm getting approx 85%. Had to change both batteries in the grip around mid afternoon during a job this week. It's on airplane mode and I hardly use the rear screen. Don't mind too much as the anti flicker on electronic shutter works a lot better than the a7iii, no more shooting everything at 1/100th or slower.

I noticed the display flickers a lot more than my other bodies at the same shutter speeds (though it’s totally not visible in the images) is yours the same ?

Same here, look at the 2nd image here Nadhim Zahawi there was a small light behind the ministers head, through the EVF it looked like a strobe, pictures came out perfect. I've almost stopped worrying about flicker.
Makes it so much easier as I don't have to keep changing shutters.
I'm also getting up to approx 1/5000th HSS with my Elinchrom's/electronic shutter.

It's a camera I'm not planning to change for a very long time, does all I want it to do, massive step up from ,y a7iii and a9.

I can’t remember who it was (possibly @Merlin5 ) talking about different focal lengths and perspectives but if you fast forward to 3:12 on this video there’s a nice example of how different focal lengths look at the same camera to subject distance and then roughly the same framing.

View: https://youtu.be/JQ8IJTy7pqY

I can’t remember who it was (possibly @Merlin5 ) talking about different focal lengths and perspectives but if you fast forward to 3:12 on this video there’s a nice example of how different focal lengths look at the same camera to subject distance and then roughly the same framing.

You can actually see this when out walking and you don't even need a camera if you can imagine cropping the view you see to match what a camera lens will see.

This has a lot of relevance to how the final result will look, the composition, the apparent spacial relationships and the apparent relative sizes of the things in the frame and how the DoF looks. It really is an important thing to understand.

Last edited:
Just on being tempted to film...

View: https://youtu.be/JQ8IJTy7pqY

Good video. When using my 18-50mm the other day, I took some shots where the zoom ring was a fraction before the 28mm marking, so about 40mm FF equivalent. I'm not saying at this stage that it's my favourite focal length, but I like it. My favourite look is with the 56mm (84mm) so basically portrait lens, and I've got some nice shots with it. But I think it has limited use for most of the type of things I shoot.

I'm waiting in for Amazon to deliver a Power Bank today so I can charge my phone if it gets too low while out on photo walks. This one,

I'm wondering if I could also use it to charge the a6600? I'll probably never need to as I'm often out for most of a day and rarely hit below about 55%. But if I wanted to charge it with the Power Bank, is it safe, voltage wise? My Sony battery is the NР-FZ100 7.2V/2280mАh capacity. And this screenshot shows the specs of the Power Bank. Would it be ok to use without damaging the camera?

20211204_034148.jpg

My Batis has just arrived :)
Literally 10 mins before I have to leave for work :-(
Now all Im waiting on is my lens coat and Im good to take it out and start seeing if it is as good as I think it is

Back