The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I am but the little one is flying back from LA so a family day for us. Im not too worried, I don't want to take it out until it is protected with the lens coat in any case. I don't want any accidental knocks to mark it. That should be here either Tue or Wed, I have enough to keep me occupied til then...

I took the A7 IV outside my house for the first time today! Into a storm. Very strong winds and hail.

One point of note is the battery drains fast. I come from a 5Dmk2 and the battery lasts forever on that.

The 4 does drain faster than the 3. Realistically still enough though even on my C I have never dropped below 50% on a day.

Guys, who are you using for insurance for all your gear. I use protectmybubble as I've been with them years and the original policy I had allowed 5 devices covering loss, theft and accidental damage for 16 quid. I have reached my 5 device limit, 1 phone, 2 cameras and 2 lenses so would need to open another policy which costs alot more now.
Thought I'd ask as I shop around...

Guys, who are you using for insurance for all your gear. I use protectmybubble as I've been with them years and the original policy I had allowed 5 devices covering loss, theft and accidental damage for 16 quid. I have reached my 5 device limit, 1 phone, 2 cameras and 2 lenses so would need to open another policy which costs alot more now.
No one, never felt a need to insure it.

Who remembers Sony's first attempt at the APS format - the DSC-R1?

I bought one, when they were remaindered off for £400 (they were £1,000 when launched). My only complaint was that they never followed it up with a 16MP version when the higher densities became available...

Camera Sony DSC-R1 TZ40 1020239.JPG

Some examples...

Addlerblick Zillergrund Mayerhofen R1_02021.JPG

Inside Zillertalbann carriage Austria R1_01085.jpg

Stacked tyres Sony R1_05568.jpg

Currently with eversure. They seem have very good reviews on the whole.
I don't remember how much I paid but I paid for the entire year.
It was under £200 though so not much more than £16/month.

But my phone is not covered and I don't really mind. I don't have expensive phones.
But I have a Sony A1 on it which is pretty expensive ;)

Last edited:
Who remembers Sony's first attempt at the APS format - the DSC-R1?

I bought one, when they were remaindered off for £400 (they were £1,000 when launched). My only complaint was that they never followed it up with a 16MP version when the higher densities became available...

View attachment 337245

Some examples...

View attachment 337246

View attachment 337247

View attachment 337248

MY first digital camera was a compact Sony Cybershot W-something....... Maybe.....

I can remember my first film camera. There's one on eBay right now in the same colour for about £35.......

Mine is through Policy Bee, but I use mine for a living but everything’s covered new for old.

Glover and Howe, who paid up replacement value in less than 4 days when I had a total loss incident with my Fuji GFX earlier in the year

Covered on my house insurance, some items are specified.

I just purchased a Glover and Howe policy after reading positive reviews from people that have made claims.

This is the first time I’ve insured camera gear but thought I’d do it for at least the first year of brand new kit.

Thanks for the replies, will have a look and compare..

Sony Cybershot P52
Sony Cybershot W800
Fujifilm S9500
Canon 450D
Canon 5D2
Sony A7

*I think.....*

Canon G2
Pentax K10D -had that for years
Pentax Kx
Pentax K30
Sony a6000 - bought to experiment with my legacy Pentax glass
Sony a7r2 - was so impressed with the mirrorless idea, but wanted a better viewfinder for my F1.2 lenses

The rumor site has a Laowa 35mm f0.95 review.

I read that then this...

It doesn't look too good to me, in fact to me some of the sample pictures look nothing short of horrible. I think the subjects and scenes that suite f0.95 are (for me) few and far between.

It does surprise me that Adobe didn't add the A7 IV to Lightroom a long time ago. Surely Sony should be sending them the details early so the A7 IV actually works with one of the most popular editing applications?

It does surprise me that Adobe didn't add the A7 IV to Lightroom a long time ago. Surely Sony should be sending them the details early so the A7 IV actually works with one of the most popular editing applications?

Yup. But it's not necessarily the end of the world and doubtless compatibility will come. My CS5 has never worked with my A7 and never will so I convert to DNG but for owners of later cameras I suppose any in camera corrections will be missing with DGN and will have to be added manually.

I’ve no idea how long it take to develop the software compatibility tbh, does the dng converter not work straight away?

I've just updated my DNG to the latest version, 14.0, and unfortunately it wont convert A7IV raws.

I’ve no idea how long it take to develop the software compatibility tbh, does the dng converter not work straight away?

It cannot possibly take that long. They've had years and years to streamline the process. The camera also got announced 6 weeks ago, and was circulating for reviews prior to that, so they could have started the process months ago. It just surprises me that this isn't planned properly by Adobe and significant camera manufacturers.

It cannot possibly take that long. They've had years and years to streamline the process. The camera also got announced 6 weeks ago, and was circulating for reviews prior to that, so they could have started the process months ago. It just surprises me that this isn't planned properly by Adobe and significant camera manufacturers.
Ever thought it’s not Adobe causing the delay but could be the manufacturers not releasing the necessary data upfront? I’m guessing things can be tweaked last minute so they don’t release it or they worry about data getting out before release (I reckon anyone with the pre production models has to sign away their rights with some quite big penalties if they leak information).

There has always been a delay between camera release and software update. Another reason why to wait (along with the price reduction that’s usually seen after a few months).

Last edited:
And Adobe are actually pretty fast, when I got my A7C I was using Capture One and I gave up waiting for them to support it so ditched it in favour of Lightroom.

I remember struggling with the free Sony software when I got my A7, I thought was just awful and the results awful too. The free Panasonic software was awful too. Maybe in camera options of JPEG, RAW or DNG would be good.

Last edited:
I've just updated my DNG to the latest version, 14.0, and unfortunately it wont convert A7IV raws.
This was an issue with the A7iii and ZV-1.
A sort of work around is use the Sony software and you can export DNG to Lightroom or Photoshop from that.
They won't be long getting the A7iv covered though.
I think the primary problem is it simply doesn't recognise the camera name in exif data.

Does anyone have, or has pro-ordered the 70-200mm f2.8 GM II? I would be very interested in your thoughts as and when you get it (y)

I have been with Aaduki for the last couple of years, it's just over £220 for the year as I get a discount for being a member of the Societies. That is for just over 30k worth of equipment, public liability insurance up to the value of 10 million and professional indemnity cover. They have also given me 15 months for the price of 12 for the last 2 years as I pay it upfront rather than monthly.

Previous to that I was with Towergate but for the same thing it was closer too £400.

Last edited:
Firmware update news for A7c owners.

It's raining and blowing (another) gale here so no chance what so ever to get out with a camera.
Sounds like some minor bug fixes as well, leave it a few weeks and will update mine.

The Zenitar 50mm f0.95...

There have been a few wide aperture primes recently but apart from portraits like the ones in the review with next to no depth or context I can't help thinking that most pictures would be better at f2 to f5.

How many pictures do you want like this?

Anyone interested?

Seems a bit pointless to spend $1250 for something weighing over a kilo to shoot at f/.95 when the lens is crap wide open and then it doesn't even cover a full frame sensor?

AFAIK it's a FF lens. I could be wrong.

Anyway. It wouldn't be much use to me as usually don't crave zero dof pictures all that often and it's not a look I'm going to want many pictures to give. Looking at the pictures in the various reviews I don't think there are many or even if any I'd want to take and keep. When testing out the lens, yup, but after that, not so much.

AFAIK it's a FF lens. I could be wrong.

Anyway. It wouldn't be much use to me as usually don't crave zero dof pictures all that often and it's not a look I'm going to want many pictures to give. Looking at the pictures in the various reviews I don't think there are many or even if any I'd want to take and keep. When testing out the lens, yup, but after that, not so much.

You're not wrong, it's marketed as full frame, but the black corners even when stopped down point to the fact it doesn't cover the whole sensor.

Back