The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
Sony has issued the first firmware update for A7 IV:

PC:

Mac:

Changes are noted as:
- Improves the accuracy of the Eye AF feature
- Fixes an issue where you may not be able to take photos when using a SEL2860 lens
- Improves the operational stability of the camera
It states if your version is 1.00 then update mines 1.20 do I need to update?

Just done my A7iv update, allow a good 15 minutes after downloading.
The progress bar thing goes to the end and sits quite a while before announcing finished and camera will reboot.

Morning all. Looking at buying one or two (one for a friend who doesn't have a lot of money) macro lenses. Don't want to spend loads of money.

What are the "best" options?

Ta
Sony 90mm f 2.8 or Sigma 70mm f2.8 both great Macro lenses :)

( I have both and looking to sell the Sigma at some point) - I had the Sigma 1st then my Mrs bought me the 90mm for my birthday ) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a few (£2-300) each. Willing to go with second hand. One will probably be used infrequently by me and the other is a gift.
Might struggle a bit.
Couldn't you get one decent lens and share it?
Just spotted this....its apsc but would work in apsc mode...there's also one in the classifieds.....

Last edited:
How do you want to do your macro - walk-abouts with AF & hand-held shooting or slowly on a tripod?

You could try adapting lenses: either using manual focus lenses with a dumb adapter, or A mount AF lenses with an LA-EA4 or 5. I use an LA-EA4 and Tamron SP90 for occasional macro shots and they work well together if you don't mind the AF limitations of the older focussing system. Cost of adapter around £100-£125, and the lens about the same. The Tamron isn't the VERY sharpest lens, but it's more than good enough - hand held example:

Minimal Shieldbug by Anton Ertl, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone else struggling to do the firmware update on the A7iv?
I've followed everything to the letter, used the supplied USB cable, downloaded the required files a couple of times, and still I get the message "could not update" blah blah blah.
I'm interested to hear your experiences.

Anyone else struggling to do the firmware update on the A7iv?
I've followed everything to the letter, used the supplied USB cable, downloaded the required files a couple of times, and still I get the message "could not update" blah blah blah.
I'm interested to hear your experiences.

If your using a Mac I always have zero issues when I use a USB C cable rather than the supplied cable. (A7iii so may not be the same)

Problem solved.
I was trying the update on my Mac - and obviously failed.
I then tried my Windows laptop - went through 1st time! :exit:
I use Mac and never have any issue with updates. You weren't trying to instal a windows update on a mac though were you?

Any guides on "adapting" a lens to do this? Sorry, not something I'd considered. Not something I'm against.

Thanks
When buying an adapter it's lens mount to camera for example Nikon to Sony adapter. Dumb dapters start at under £20. One thing to think about is the magnification you want as some macro lenses give you 1:1 whilst some only go to half life size unless you add an extention tube and when you do that you coukd lose the ability to focus at any distance. Another thing to decide is the focal length as if you're taking pictures of bugs and the like you'll want distance between you and the subject in case you frighten it off and shadows may also be a worry if you're close. Also think about perspective.

I have a 50mm f2.8 which is 1:1 but I did like my 150mm in my DSLR days both for working distance and perspective.

Some good offers on Amazon especially if you shop around the other European countries.

New Samyang 50 gets a reduction as does the new 135.

Sony 85 f/1.8 for £379 once converted from the euros price.

Just a matter of logging into your Amazon account in the other country version you can even translate to English.

There is some links on the rumours site.

Some good offers on Amazon especially if you shop around the other European countries.

New Samyang 50 gets a reduction as does the new 135.

Sony 85 f/1.8 for £379 once converted from the euros price.

Just a matter of logging into your Amazon account in the other country version you can even translate to English.

There is some links on the rumours site.
Do you have to pay import duties from other Euro countries now?

Pulled the trigger on the 70-200mm Mk 2. It will replace the Tamron 70-180mm(which has been great) and the 100-400. I didn't like the telescoping zooms and in a fast pace sports environment the build quality of the Tamron never filled me with confidence. Hopefully, the new lens with converters will take the place of the 100-400 as that was a very useful lens. I think for me a 100-280mm F4 will be more valuable than the 100-400 which very quickly becomes f5.6. I also have the 2x so that can be used if needed but I think I would use my 200-600 or 400mm GM if I knew I was shooting at distance.

Pulled the trigger on the 70-200mm Mk 2. It will replace the Tamron 70-180mm(which has been great) and the 100-400. I didn't like the telescoping zooms and in a fast pace sports environment the build quality of the Tamron never filled me with confidence. Hopefully, the new lens with converters will take the place of the 100-400 as that was a very useful lens. I think for me a 100-280mm F4 will be more valuable than the 100-400 which very quickly becomes f5.6. I also have the 2x so that can be used if needed but I think I would use my 200-600 or 400mm GM if I knew I was shooting at distance.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the 70-200mm with the 2x TC when compared to the 100-400mm (y)

Hoping it will be as fast to focus. I can live with slightly less sharp.
I could live with slightly less sharp, but I do like the rendering and 'pop' of the 100-400mm and wouldn't want to lose that, although if you have the 400mm f2.8 you probably think the 100-400mm is poop in that regard :LOL:

I could live with slightly less sharp, but I do like the rendering and 'pop' of the 100-400mm and wouldn't want to lose that, although if you have the 400mm f2.8 you probably think the 100-400mm is poop in that regard :LOL:
I shot the 100-400 for the rugby last week and it really impressed me. Been a while since I'd used it and while the images don't have the pop of the big prime they still look great and if you are filling the frame at 400 you still get good isolation especially in the big stadiums like Murrayfield. It was a bit of a lump hung round the neck for 4 matches though and had to go away for the last match when the lights went on

I shot the 100-400 for the rugby last week and it really impressed me. Been a while since I'd used it and while the images don't have the pop of the big prime they still look great and if you are filling the frame at 400 you still get good isolation especially in the big stadiums like Murrayfield. It was a bit of a lump hung round the neck for 4 matches though and had to go away for the last match when the lights went on
I don’t like hanging anything around my neck tbh, sling straps and bags for me (y)

Feel free to give the protocols to Scotland. Hope it all dies down soon.
Trust me you don’t want them. While it helps make it slightly easier for goods from Europe goods from the rest of the U.K is a nightmare.

Last edited:
Back