The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Got a new A7IV over weekend. Really impressed by the performance so far. Incredibly good body.

IMO best body in Sony's lineup after the A1.

Good to hear. Think I might go look at one this weekend.

Got a new A7IV over weekend. Really impressed by the performance so far. Incredibly good body.

IMO best body in Sony's lineup after the A1.

Na....

We have 3 x A7IV's now and yeah they have some advantages the extra res is handy, the a,f is good.

Doesn't have the black out free shooting and the silent shutter is pretty much useless indoors, A9 is still a much better body in my opinion. Also I hate the flip out screen with a passion.

If they give us an A9 with the same res, that would be pretty much perfect.

A7IV is what its supposed to be jack of all trades master of none.

One strange thing I have noticed with the A7IV is that it takes a long time to charge using USB C from a powerbank. Have tried all 3 of ours and they are all the same.

Maybe twice as long as the other Sony models. There is possibly a reason why, new circuit protection, trickle feed charging maybe I don't know, but yeah pretty much twice as long for some reason which is a little annoying as I often charge using a power bank when I am out and about..

Not a huge problem as we have the worlds supply of spare batteries but still a little annoying.

Last edited:
I do miss the Sigma 12-24mm I had for my canon DSLR's.

My Panny G100 is due to arrive today and that should ease my gas for a few days :D

Something like that Sigma would be lovely though.

I do miss the Sigma 12-24mm I had for my canon DSLR's.

My Panny G100 is due to arrive today and that should ease my gas for a few days :D

Something like that Sigma would be lovely though.

If I was going to Hong Kong (as planned) I would be picking that Sigma up I think, almost grey import price. I definitely want a high quality ultrawide zoom for my next visit. Fingers crossed for next year

Changed our last body to the A7mk4. Seriously underwhelming given the cost. Feels cheap and plastic and the mechanical shutter is rubbish (basically the same that’s on the 7III)

Changed our last body to the A7mk4. Seriously underwhelming given the cost. Feels cheap and plastic and the mechanical shutter is rubbish (basically the same that’s on the 7III)

Well as it's the direct same-level replacement for the A7iii I'm not sure what you were expecting?

Something abit better given the standards of competitors cams at the same sort of price. I own A1, A9 and S3 cams and to be fair they’re not the greatest either build wise. If I was changing to mirrorless now I’d probably choose canon

Something abit better given the standards of competitors cams at the same sort of price. I own A1, A9 and S3 cams and to be fair they’re not the greatest either build wise. If I was changing to mirrorless now I’d probably choose canon

If the lenses are there for you.

I tend to nit pick faults but if starting again I think I'd have to go for Sony again as although there are maddening issues on balance it's still the best system for me and the only lenses missing are a good compact 50mm with focus that'll work on my camera and possibly a longer macro.

I genuinely have no brand loyalty what so ever when it comes to this kit though and if something suited me better and the cost of changing wasn't painful I'd do it in a second.

Odd, I've got the A9ii and have no issue with build quality, everything feels solid and precise, the only thing I noticed swapping to Sony was that the grip material is not as nice.

Odd, I've got the A9ii and have no issue with build quality, everything feels solid and precise, the only thing I noticed swapping to Sony was that the grip material is not as nice.

I just think like for like the Canon and even the Nikon mirrorless are built a lot better. The screens are also becoming something of a joke, when I show couples images after shooting them I make sure they look through the viewfinder lol

I just think like for like the Canon and even the Nikon mirrorless are built a lot better. The screens are also becoming something of a joke, when I show couples images after shooting them I make sure they look through the viewfinder lol
I had the Z7 and can't see a great difference except the grip material. However now you mention it the LCD does indeed need an upgrade, as does the EVF as it bugs me that it goes slightly 'grainy' whilst focussing, I can't remember my Z7 doing that and even my EM10ii doesn't do it either. I noticed it on the A7RIV so it's obviously a general Sony 'issue'.

I keep looking at other systems but neither Canon or Nikon offer me the full range of native lenses I want, and the 70-200's aren't in the same league as teh GM II

Last edited:
I've only handled Canikon mirrorless in a shop, but coming from a D610 I was pleased with how much better my A7III build quality was.

I had the Z7 and can't see a great difference except the grip material. However now you mention it the LCD does indeed need an upgrade, as does the EVF as it bugs me that it goes slightly 'grainy' whilst focussing, I can't remember my Z7 doing that and even my EM10ii doesn't do it either. I noticed it on the A7RIV so it's obviously a general Sony 'issue'.

I keep looking at other systems but neither Canon or Nikon offer me the full range of native lenses I want, and the 70-200's aren't in the same league as teh GM II

I’ve noticed the viewfinder quality drop off when you half press more so on the A1 than the S3 which is bizarre. Given the resolution of the oled the drop off is huge when actually shooting. Reviewing the images in it is beautiful though ! I’m not changing systems anytime in the next few years but it’s good to see Sony now has some stiff competition

I think the build quality of Sonys are now very good, I have used my bodies in blizzard and downpour with no issues.

Having said that Nikon bodies feel a lot more comfortable to use for me. Canon R5/6 less so.
Unfortunately Nikon do not have AF on the same level as Sony (may be bar the Z9) or the lenses I'd want at the wide end (24mm, 35mm and 85mm f1.4 primes).
But I am sure both those issues will be fixed eventually and Nikon already has two amazing tele lenses 400mm f4.5 and 800 f6.3.
Unless Sony comes out with something similar, I'll most likely move to Nikon in due coarse.

F5.6 is diffraction territory for a 1" sensor.
I've just downloaded some sample raws for the RX100 VI and VII and I was pretty impressed (for a compact), much better in the corners than my old G7x was and some of these were at f5.6 as well. They don't handle noise well at all though, which I guess is not surprising.

Autofocus alone was enough reason to ditch DSLR so no doubt you’re very happy

You appear to misunderstand me - I was talking specifically about build quality. AF was the reason I changed, but the Sony was built to a much higher standard than the Nikon - that camera felt like my entry level Sony A58 rather than an enthusiast tool. Nikon have form for this, and I also own a plastic fantastic D70 that is horrible.

Mistaken Posting. :headbang:

Last edited:
You appear to misunderstand me - I was talking specifically about build quality. AF was the reason I changed, but the Sony was built to a much higher standard than the Nikon - that camera felt like my entry level Sony A58 rather than an enthusiast tool. Nikon have form for this, and I also own a plastic fantastic D70 that is horrible.

I didn’t misunderstand you. It was just a comment.

I think the build quality of Sonys are now very good, I have used my bodies in blizzard and downpour with no issues.

Having said that Nikon bodies feel a lot more comfortable to use for me. Canon R5/6 less so.
Unfortunately Nikon do not have AF on the same level as Sony (may be bar the Z9) or the lenses I'd want at the wide end (24mm, 35mm and 85mm f1.4 primes).
But I am sure both those issues will be fixed eventually and Nikon already has two amazing tele lenses 400mm f4.5 and 800 f6.3.
Unless Sony comes out with something similar, I'll most likely move to Nikon in due coarse.
I think at the time and maybe even now the A7C is their best built camera as well, it being a monocoque design. It certainly does feel incredibly solid. I remember with the first cameras people had issues with the lens mount as well.

Hi all,

Quick question... I have recently bought an A7C. I have an adapter to make my Canon 50mm work, and it works very well, however, I have a voucher to spend in Currys which expires at the end of the month. I was looking at purchasing the Sony 50mm f1.8. Is the Sony better / different to the 50mm. Unfortunately, Currys do not carry a lot of lenses, therefore I am limited as to what I can get.

Views? Opinions? Ideas?

Hi all,

Quick question... I have recently bought an A7C. I have an adapter to make my Canon 50mm work, and it works very well, however, I have a voucher to spend in Currys which expires at the end of the month. I was looking at purchasing the Sony 50mm f1.8. Is the Sony better / different to the 50mm. Unfortunately, Currys do not carry a lot of lenses, therefore I am limited as to what I can get.

Views? Opinions? Ideas?

The Sony 50 f1.8 is optically nice as a nifty fifty, but on the copy I had the AF was very unreliable and I would not recommend that lens. I've had 2 copies of the original Samyang 50 f1.4 and they were both MUCH better focussing than the Sony 50.

Thank you for the response. I have a Samyang the 35 f2.8, and I am not impressed. When it focusses, its great, however it can spend a lot of time hunting. When using video, it sometimes just goes out of focus for no reason. Also, if something is out of the centre of the image, it struggles to focus. In comparison to my Sony 28 - 60, its great. I just wish it was a bit faster; although the trade off is weight!

So is the A7iv a step down in build quality from the A9?

So is the A7iv a step down in build quality from the A9?

It just feels more plastic and like a hollow feeling to it. Hard to explain. It has the same frame essentially as the A7SIII but it feels better, hard to explain it but to me it felt a tad cheap

It just feels more plastic and like a hollow feeling to it. Hard to explain. It has the same frame essentially as the A7SIII but it feels better, hard to explain it but to me it felt a tad cheap

I’d agree it does feel very hollow. Side by side with my xh2s it’s quite laughable the difference in build quality. But then I’d expect fujis flagship to be better than Sonys. Something you get used to I think until you have another brand in the hand at the same time.

I did get to try the birds af yesterday in the 7iv yesterday and it was pretty impressive.

Back