The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What does that even mean?

As I shoot 99% wildlife anything under 400mm is of very little interest to me unless it's a macro lens.

I have one to carry with either my 100-400mm or 200-600mm as a "just in case* lens but think I have only used it a handful of times.

However I imagine to a lot of people anything over 100mm would hold little interest either.

There’s a member on here that owns a company, lensesforhire I think it is, then there’s hireacamera and lenspimp. Depending on which lens and how long you hire it can be cheaper to buy and then sell a used one.
Stewart is the chap that runs lensesforhire, but he’s not been on here in yonks.
Really good company to use in my experience, rented several different lenses over the years from them. Can’t speak for the others though

As I shoot 99% wildlife anything under 400mm is of very little interest to me unless it's a macro lens.

I have one to carry with either my 100-400mm or 200-600mm as a "just in case* lens but think I have only used it a handful of times.

However I imagine to a lot of people anything over 100mm would hold little interest either.
This I understand, but still doesn't explain how the 24-105 is boring as hell :p

Oh dear.

That's a lovely picture Ant and nice to see blue sky in the background, we're starved of that at the moment :D

All great Gil. The robin seems appropriate this time of year :D and nice to see more blue sky :D

All great Gil. The robin seems appropriate this time of year :D and nice to see more blue sky :D
Yes, they are much easier to spot now that the leaves are almost all gone. They are also quite inquisitive the more hungry they get. Hoping to find one that will come closer

Great control with the exposure of the swan as well
Thanks - one of the features I missed on the canon R6 which I'm glad to have back on the A7IV is highlight protection metering. Great for swans!!

Well, that's me photographed all my Sony gear in preparation of selling and I hope I don't regret this. Will be looking at medium format next and still researching it all.

Well, that's me photographed all my Sony gear in preparation of selling and I hope I don't regret this. Will be looking at medium format next and still researching it all.

Well, we're only here once. If medium format doesn't live up to expectations you can always rebuy sony gear.

For the stuff I do, just general pictures of Mrs WW, scenes etc nothing AF taxing or requiring bursts like fast action, birds in flight or macro, I've even thought about MF for myself as a Hasselblad and a lens is easily doable and would like a Leica RF just be a luxury buy to enjoy so I can definitely see the appeal.

Good luck with it Graham.

Will you go for Fuji or Hasselblad?

Last edited:
For the stuff I do, just general pictures of Mrs WW, scenes etc nothing AF taxing or requiring bursts like fast action, birds in flight or macro, I've even thought about MF for myself as a Hasselblad and a lens is easily doable and would like a Leica RF just be a luxury buy to enjoy so I can definitely see the appeal.

Good luck with it Gil.

Will you go for Fuji or Hasselblad?

I'm not quite sure if you are asking me because of the MF reference, or GiL as in Gilbouk?

I'm not quite sure if you are asking me because of the MF reference, or GiL as in Gilbouk?

Ah yes, you, sorry :D

I meant to look to remind myself who'd posted and scrolled up too far :D

So, Graham, what'll you go for? :D

Ah yes, you, sorry :D

I meant to look to remind myself who'd posted and scrolled up too far :D

So, Graham, what'll you go for? :D

lol no worries, was a little confuddled there!

I'm not sure, probably Fuji so that I don't have to sell a Kidney but I really want to research this fully and also checked out the used offerings. Was hoping to get my gear up on here today, but I'm a little overloaded with work so will either be later or tomorrow.

It's been so long since I've sold anything, do you know if it's safe to display the camera serial number on here?

lol no worries, was a little confuddled there!

I'm not sure, probably Fuji so that I don't have to sell a Kidney but I really want to research this fully and also checked out the used offerings. Was hoping to get my gear up on here today, but I'm a little overloaded with work so will either be later or tomorrow.

It's been so long since I've sold anything, do you know if it's safe to display the camera serial number on here?

I don't see why not and you and the buyer will both have a record of what is being bought, sold and possibly returned.

I wouldn't worry, it's a Sony and it'll fall off anyway :LOL:

Just bought an A7iv and kit lens moving from Fuji. Currently have the 16/23/85 lenses. What would be the equivalent lenses to cover those focal lengths? Ideally primes as I intend to use the kit lens for a bit. Also flash, I use a Godox V860II and trigger, which I really like, I’m assuming the Sony version is ok?

Cheers and that would add a level of transparency.

Not that it would happen here but an ex GF of mine made a living selling on line and she'd receive stuff back as a return which had a different serial number to the stuff she'd shipped. Not that they got away with it as she kept good records.

Just bought an A7iv and kit lens moving from Fuji. Currently have the 16/23/85 lenses. What would be the equivalent lenses to cover those focal lengths? Ideally primes as I intend to use the kit lens for a bit. Also flash, I use a Godox V860II and trigger, which I really like, I’m assuming the Sony version is ok?

24, 35 and 135mm approximately. Sony make some fantastic versions covering those focal lengths, if you don't mind the weight and cost. Samyang also have models at lower cost if budget is less extravagant.

If you like smaller lenses I can recommend the Sony 24 and 35mm f2.8's. They are tiny.

24, 35 and 135mm approximately. Sony make some fantastic versions covering those focal lengths, if you don't mind the weight and cost. Samyang also have models at lower cost if budget is less extravagant.

Been reading good things re the Sigma Art lenses too. Are those any good?

24,35,135......all the expensive one's brace yourself mate :ROFLMAO:

The Sony 35mm f1.4 is the lens you want. You are bound to come across an immaculate used example on here that will no doubt have lots of warranty left.... :D

The Sony 35mm f1.4 is the lens you want. You are bound to come across an immaculate used example on here that will no doubt have lots of warranty left.... :D
Not unless you get your arse into gear and post the ad :ROFLMAO:

As already mentioned 24mm, 35mm, and 135mm roughly. Fuji has a 1.5x crop factor so multiply the Fuji focal length by 1.5x to give the equivalent focal length in FF terms.
Been reading good things re the Sigma Art lenses too. Are those any good?
Most are yes. Some lenses such as the 85mm have two versions, the older one and the newer DG DN version, both are Art lenses. The newer DG DN are usually better optically as well as smaller and lighter. The 85mm f1.4 Art DG DN is very well regarded and even holds its own against the Sony 85mm GM according to the many reviews out there (Sony is better in some areas, the Sigma better in others).

24GM, 35GM and 135GM......

Grab that flexible friend :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back