The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Those look like keen prices Graham. GLWTS and with the MF itch :D

Thanks, I had a really good look around including usedlens.co.uk to try and come up with some reasonable prices. I would rather offer up to a member on here first even if it means a few quid less. I guess all I can do now is wait and see if anyone is interested.

Thanks, I had a really good look around including usedlens.co.uk to try and come up with some reasonable prices. I would rather offer up to a member on here first even if it means a few quid less. I guess all I can do now is wait and see if anyone is interested.

That's what I've always tried to do as selling on here seems less of a risk than evil bay.

GLWTS.

Oh, and if you do go MF be sure to call in here and occasionally post with opinions and pictures.

That's what I've always tried to do as selling on here seems less of a risk than evil bay.

GLWTS.

Oh, and if you do go MF be sure to call in here and occasionally post with opinions and pictures.

Aye, I don't really like eBay and pretty much only use it for specific car related stuff as Amazon isn't so good with this. I like Sony camera gear so will definitely be watching this thread. Maybe they'll spring a MF camera on us soon!

DSC03609 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
DSC03611 1 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Having had so much fun with my Nikon 300mm f/4 IF ED I'm really considering a 200-600mm but not sure I'll get the same thrill with the character and isolation I get with this gem of an old lens. Really miss having AF as you can see by my OOF second shot. I lost my mojo with the Canon 100-400mm MKII because it didn't have the same character

Last edited:

Having had so much fun with my Nikon 300mm f/4 IF ED I'm really considering a 200-600mm but not sure I'll get the same thrill with the character and isolation I get with this gem of an old lens. Really miss having AF as you can see by my OOF second shot. I lost my mojo with the Canon 100-400mm MKII because it didn't have the same character
At 600mm you get more separation than the 300mm despite the slower aperture

The 200-600mm is a great lens.....

At 600mm you get more separation than the 300mm despite the slower aperture

I find the 100-400mm GM gives nice separation considering the relatively slow aperture.

I find the 100-400mm GM gives nice separation considering the relatively slow aperture.
The 100-400mm GM has been on my radar too actually - especially with its closer minimum focus distance and slightly better performance with its g master name sake. Decisions decisions!!

I guess a good question would be whether at the minimum focal distance with the 100-400mm would I be able to fill the frame with a small bird as much as I would be able to with a 200-600mm at minimum focal distance? I think I'd prefer having a small bird occupy more of the frame (even if I need to get closer with the shorter lens)

Last edited:
I guess a good question would be whether at the minimum focal distance with the 100-400mm would I be able to fill the frame with a small bird as much as I would be able to with a 200-600mm at minimum focal distance? I think I'd prefer having a small bird occupy more of the frame (even if I need to get closer with the shorter lens)
100-400mm has 0.35x magnification and 200-600mm has "only" 0.2x
So at MFD you can fill more the frame with 100-400mm if you can get that close to a bird in the first place.

If you’re a birder then the longer the focal length the better usually. I use the 100-400mm for different things such as motorsports, the dog, and wildlife. If needs be I do have the 1.4x TC and on the whole I’d rather sacrifice the extra reach to have the 1kg less weight. YMMV

If you’re a birder then the longer the focal length the better usually. I use the 100-400mm for different things such as motorsports, the dog, and wildlife. If needs be I do have the 1.4x TC and on the whole I’d rather sacrifice the extra reach to have the 1kg less weight. YMMV
Not quite 1kg difference though. More like 600-700g I think

Not quite 1kg difference though. More like 600-700g I think
Closer to 720g, makes quite a difference when you’re hand holding (y)

Last edited:
Well, that's me photographed all my Sony gear in preparation of selling and I hope I don't regret this. Will be looking at medium format next and still researching it all.
Gotta go Hassleblad it’s a thing of greatness, if not deffo go GFX100 just for phase detect focus for that slight edge. Good luck lad at work has 50smk2 and pictures look good

Gotta go Hassleblad it’s a thing of greatness, if not deffo go GFX100 just for phase detect focus for that slight edge. Good luck lad at work has 50smk2 and pictures look good
The Hasselblad's do look great, however their cheapest current body (1Dx-II) is nearly double the price of the cheapest Fuji (50s II), and the HB lenses aren't cheap.

What I find interesting is that Fuji have put a bayer sensor in their medium format cameras yet still insist on using Xtrans for their X-series.

Cheers, I'll have a really good look at it all and weigh up what I'll really need, but if I don't manage to sell my Sony stuff on here it may not happen though. I'm not keen on sending my gear to a shop and then risk them pulling a haggle stunt with them knowing it would be a pain for me to get the stuff back. WEX tried to pull a dishonest stunt and that was just from an enquiry, so my trust is low; I also find it unusual that their local store can't deal with it all.

I'm in no rush though, the weather has turned here so I wouldn't be photographing anyway and it's still a great camera and lenses if I end up keeping them all.

Cheers, I'll have a really good look at it all and weigh up what I'll really need, but if I don't manage to sell my Sony stuff on here it may not happen though. I'm not keen on sending my gear to a shop and then risk them pulling a haggle stunt with them knowing it would be a pain for me to get the stuff back. WEX tried to pull a dishonest stunt and that was just from an enquiry, so my trust is low; I also find it unusual that their local store can't deal with it all.

I'm in no rush though, the weather has turned here so I wouldn't be photographing anyway and it's still a great camera and lenses if I end up keeping them all.
It's easier if you can go in person to the shop.
Mpb are fairly good I'd say albeit bring slow sometimes.

They have also lost my package once which wasn't great. Though that was DPD's fault and I eventually got my money.

It's easier if you can go in person to the shop.
Mpb are fairly good I'd say albeit bring slow sometimes.

They have also lost my package once which wasn't great. Though that was DPD's fault and I eventually got my money.

Being in Glasgow I'm not sure how easy that would be for me. Although I did travel to Manchester to meet a forum member when selling a camera body to them as it was over £4k if memory serves right. I suppose if somewhere is interested in all three then it could be worth a trip and give the car a good blast after all the local journeys.

As it's quiet...

I found a raw on my pc with no jpeg, so I processed it...

KhbZfzb.jpg

It was taken on 9th December 2020 with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8.

We were off to the shops and I decided to document the walk along The Lines, I'd just snap every scene and leaf and berry that caught my eye. I had promised myself to stick to f5.6/8 although I did weaken and take two pictures at f2.8 and two at f16. This set is probably my favourite set of pictures partly because of the place I suppose.

dBBEZOJ.jpg

T9tfFLX.jpg

qW9ilqL.jpg

100-400mm has 0.35x magnification and 200-600mm has "only" 0.2x
So at MFD you can fill more the frame with 100-400mm if you can get that close to a bird in the first place.
As it's quiet...

I found a raw on my pc with no jpeg, so I processed it...

KhbZfzb.jpg

It was taken on 9th December 2020 with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8.

We were off to the shops and I decided to document the walk along The Lines, I'd just snap every scene and leaf and berry that caught my eye. I had promised myself to stick to f5.6/8 although I did weaken and take two pictures at f2.8 and two at f16. This set is probably my favourite set of pictures partly because of the place I suppose.

dBBEZOJ.jpg

T9tfFLX.jpg

qW9ilqL.jpg
Definitely gives the impression of a very natural quiet retreat. It puts me in the mindset to go out with the camera. I love the experience of letting your mind go and forgetting about time - and just exploring and seeing what catches your eye

Definitely gives the impression of a very natural quiet retreat. It puts me in the mindset to go out with the camera. I love the experience of letting your mind go and forgetting about time - and just exploring and seeing what catches your eye
Second that Bro.

Thank you and yup, it should be a 10 minute walk to the high street but it can take me an hour. It's a lovely walk and can take us to the high street and beyond to the foot of the hill in one direction or to the retail park in the other. It's just yards from home and I/we can be there in minutes and feeling like we're in the middle of the countryside and I/we love to pick the brambles and wild raspberries. Sadly Mrs WW still hasn't recovered from our nasty experience there a few weeks back so we wont be going again until she does.

Last edited:
Thank you and yup, it should be a 10 minute walk to the high street but it can take me an hour. It's a lovely walk and can take us to the high street and beyond to the foot of the hill in one direction or to the retail park in the other. It's just yards from home and I/we can be there in minutes and feeling like we're in the middle of the countryside and I/we love to pick the brambles and wild raspberries. Sadly Mrs WW still hasn't recovered from our nasty experience there a few weeks back so we wont be going again until she does.
I recall you sharing the details a while back. I feel really sorry that it has had lasting impact to your enjoyment of your own local escape. It would put me off going back too. Think it's time to befriend a local Alsatian dog walker to accompany you. I have a friend who has one that is quite voracious but is really a big cuddly softy. Shame he frightens all the bird life away as he approaches though but nobody would come near if you had him with you.

I recall you sharing the details a while back. I feel really sorry that it has had lasting impact to your enjoyment of your own local escape. It would put me off going back too. Think it's time to befriend a local Alsatian dog walker to accompany you. I have a friend who has one that is quite voracious but is really a big cuddly softy. Shame he frightens all the bird life away as he approaches though but nobody would come near if you had him with you.

It's had quite an impact on her Gil and she's still frightened to go out. Since it happened we've been to Saltburn and the town centre which are both about 15 minutes drive away and with plenty of people about and other than that she's only left the house to go to her class in town on a Saturday and I drive her to the door and pick her up again.

It's had quite an impact on her Gil and she's still frightened to go out. Since it happened we've been to Saltburn and the town centre which are both about 15 minutes drive away and with plenty of people about and other than that she's only left the house to go to her class in town on a Saturday and I drive her to the door and pick her up again.
That's really angering that they have made such an impact to how your wife feels about being outside. Even I imagine if you go to different places too. I don't know what to suggest - it sounds like she needs some victims support / therapy from what you have described :-(

here is one o took yesterday at mfd with the 200-600 and a heavy crop ,
I would like the lightness of the 100-400gm but for birding you need all the reach you can get.
hiuh.jpg

That's really angering that they have made such an impact to how your wife feels about being outside. Even I imagine if you go to different places too. I don't know what to suggest - it sounds like she needs some victims support / therapy from what you have described :-(

It's had a massive effect and now she'll only go to places where there are people and it has to be a car ride away.

As it's quiet :D

In November 2020 I went for a walk with a film era 85mm. It was slightly misty and I like this first one although the woman in the distance is a bit small in the frame.

2pVIhbe.jpg

Just trees and leaves.

VXHI8La.jpg

Just the leaves.

rdQncP2.jpg

Leaf with the use of a close focus filter.

zmEBSVA.jpg

I went back a week or so later with the Sony 85mm f1.8.

Berries.

s0UJaRR.jpg

Bench through the trees.

DdCsOLa.jpg

Same place but with the excellent Voigtlander 50mm f2 APO Pro Lanthar,.

Unfortunately a good example of the sensor reflections that you can get with the A7.

ioh6zeC.jpg

Another, this time with the Sony 35mm f2.8.

XlqfYvv.jpg

I like that last one :D

Last edited:
I’ve finished watching the Great British Photography Challenge now and I’m never going to make it as a photographer as I just don’t get some images. Don’t get me wrong there were some truly superb shots, but then there were others that I’d quite frankly thrown straight in the bin yet they were lauded over, especially the last episode when they shot with a late 19th Century large format camera. Also they were quite happy to have portraits where they’d clipped people’s fingers or toes off the edge of the frame :thinking:

Overall though I really enjoyed watching it, and if it does come back on or goes on iPlayer it’s worth a watch imo.

I keep rewatching "Finding Vivian Maier" on Amazon. I'm not at all into street photography but her stuff is just WoW IMO.

Oh, and if you don't mind foreign language films this is worth a watch.

"The big picture."

I keep rewatching "Finding Vivian Maier" on Amazon. I'm not at all into street photography but her stuff is just WoW IMO.

Oh, and if you don't mind foreign language films this is worth a watch.

"The big picture."

I'm not too fussed about street photography either, but she is one of the better ones. That being said, I don't know if it's just because of the time period they were taken.

I'm not too fussed about street photography either, but she is one of the better ones. That being said, I don't know if it's just because of the time period they were taken.

For me it's not just the time, the perspective many are taken from is a bit different and she certainly had an eye for the unusual and interesting as well as the characterful.

I do like viewing street photography because people are so unique, but despite that I still think it requires a good eye and timing to make it interesting. But like holiday photos, when it's just scenery I find myself not really looking at them, but as soon as you drop people in it they grab my attention!

Back