The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well I did it - I went and used my Wex credit to get a used 200-600mm. After using it today, I realise how valuable the extra reach is. The zoom and speed of the AF really is impressive - definitely the most responsive super telephoto I've had. I've had the Tamron 150-600mm MK1, the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 and the Canon 100-400mm MKII. It also appears to be the sharpest too

My first keeper with the combo

DSC03721 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

I like street in some ways, but couldn't see what the fuss was about with Vivian M. We each have our own preferences.

Fan Ho is a personal favourite of mine, possibly due to my love of Hong Kong.

First good deal to hit?

Attachments

• 6D98FC07-C54A-4E9F-A63B-578A06FF640D.png
    6D98FC07-C54A-4E9F-A63B-578A06FF640D.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 20
Amazon have the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 for £459, pretty cheap.

So am I but everyone reckons it's bobbins (whatever that is). :oops: :$
MPB are only offering me £375 for the 24-105mm yet they sell like new ones for £759, that’s some mark up :eek: Needless to say they’ll not be getting it.

First good deal to hit?
They are all taking the p*** this year, the deals earlier in the week were better than the so called black friday deals today. The A7IV had a £300 trade in bonus plus £150 off yesterday, Wex the same. LCE had £400 trade in bonus + £150 off last week. They are literally making it up as they go along.

Park had the A7RIIIa for £1799 a few days ago, it's £2049 today with code lol

Last edited:
MPB are only offering me £375 for the 24-105mm yet they sell like new ones for £759, that’s some mark up :eek: Needless to say they’ll not be getting it.

Wow. They've just given me £92 [ish] for my old kit 28-70mm that my boy has been using for a while. I traded it for a 16-50mm for him & ended up £23 in profit!

I thought that was pretty good in all honesty! :ROFLMAO:

They are all taking the p*** this year, the deals earlier in the week were better than the so called black friday deals today. The A7IV had a £300 trade in bonus plus £150 off yesterday, Wex the same. LCE had £400 trade in bonus + £150 off last week. They are literally making it up as they go along.

Park had the A7RIIIa for £1799 a few days ago, it's £2049 today with code lol
Only better if you are looking to trade in though.

If you are looking to just buy an A7IV the current offer is better.

I'm not too fussed about street photography either, but she is one of the better ones. That being said, I don't know if it's just because of the time period they were taken.
I would have loved to be around then with the cameras we have now, and the innocence of the subjects (in that it was still a bit of a novelty to them).

That's ridiculous. I've noticed that as well with the mark ups, even worse was yesterday in GAME I was looking for some Switch games for my daughter and one of their pre-owned prices were higher than brand new at Currys. A serious case of WTF! Even CEX seems to have crazy huge markups.

I probably picked the absolute worse time to sell my gear: Black Friday, Recession, Cost of Greed Living crisis and Christmas approaching. Serves me right for selling on emotion rather than engaging my brain.

Been pondering about just keeping it all, well the A9 and 35mm certainly. My photography never calls for the 24-105mm and I've still got thought of getting the 200-600mm nibbling away at the back of my thoughts. Had a look at used and WEX want £1,229 for one with signs of use. That's only £100 cheaper than new (with the £100 cashback offer) so why go used? Crazy.

Been pondering about just keeping it all, well the A9 and 35mm certainly. My photography never calls for the 24-105mm and I've still got thought of getting the 200-600mm nibbling away at the back of my thoughts. Had a look at used and WEX want £1,229 for one with signs of use. That's only £100 cheaper than new (with the £100 cashback offer) so why go used? Crazy.

I want your A9 but I am skint :ROFLMAO::facepalm:

That's ridiculous. I've noticed that as well with the mark ups, even worse was yesterday in GAME I was looking for some Switch games for my daughter and one of their pre-owned prices were higher than brand new at Currys. A serious case of WTF! Even CEX seems to have crazy huge markups.

I probably picked the absolute worse time to sell my gear: Black Friday, Recession, Cost of Greed Living crisis and Christmas approaching. Serves me right for selling on emotion rather than engaging my brain.

If you're likely to use a 200-600 then MF is surely not the way to go, you could get the 200-600, keep the A9 plus get a used Sony higher mp body for landscapes probably for less than swapping to MF.

However the Fuji MF bodies do produce stunning images.

If you're likely to use a 200-600 then MF is surely not the way to go, you could get the 200-600, keep the A9 plus get a used Sony higher mp body for landscapes probably for less than swapping to MF.

However the Fuji MF bodies do produce stunning images.

My worry with using the 200-600mm for stitching is such a focal length and my regular tripod. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to really learn about all this and probably end up with a proper panoramic head if I do delve into it.

I wouldn't have two bodies, if not going to MF I would probably go down the A7Riv route, but I've really not fully settled on anything just yet. My gut tells me the 200-600mm for stitching is a bad idea and will not work the way I'm seeing it in my head. I've got so much going on just now that photography has been pushed aside and mojo is lost once again.

Park cameras will offer significantly more
MPB usually give the best offers from my experience, but that offer for the 24-105mm is ridiculous. I'm not set on selling it, I was just pondering it being as the 24-70mm f4 is so cheap at the moment with cash back, I do prefer the size and weight of the 24-70mm.

MPB usually give the best offers from my experience, but that offer for the 24-105mm is ridiculous. I'm not set on selling it, I was just pondering it being as the 24-70mm f4 is so cheap at the moment with cash back, I do prefer the size and weight of the 24-70mm.
Not always, MPB's offer is based on various things including demand and supply.
Shops don't seem to think as much about it.

Yeah 24-105mm aren't worth as much because there's tons of them and you can semi-regularly get them on offers. I believe you got yours on some kind of an offer too?

£375 is still crazy low. I'd have expected at least £450-ish for it.

Use Park Cameras for Trade-ins, they were going to give me exactly what they quoted, MPB did the usual high quote then moisture card in lens.....

24-105 Like new should get you 575

my Dad had the 24-70 F4 and i remember testing it against my Original GM, to my eyes i honestly couldn't see any difference ...i felt violated :)

Use Park Cameras for Trade-ins, they were going to give me exactly what they quoted, MPB did the usual high quote then moisture card in lens.....
I have traded-in plenty of items to MPB and never once had such issues. So I wouldn't say it's "usual"

I don't rate MPB's testing too highly tbh and if park is worst than them at finding issues that's worrying.
I almost never buy from mpb for this reason. I might have to avoid park cameras too then.

Last edited:
Wex offered £363, Park offered £575, big difference.

I could sell the 24-105mm buy the 24-70mm with the cash back offer and pocket £200. It’s very tempting.

Last edited:
Anyone found any good deals this black Friday?

Mrs WW wants a new phone for her birthday and it looks like the one she wants is about £50 off today :D

There's nothing I want but I did grab myself a Belgian Chocolate Haagen Dazs at ASDS this morning :D

I'm not really into trainers, mine were £16 off a stall on Redcar market but they're wearing very well and still look very new. I do need some new walking shoes as the Solomsons I've had for many years now have smooth soles and leak when I step in a puddle.

Anyone found any good deals this black Friday?

Mrs WW wants a new phone for her birthday and it looks like the one she wants is about £50 off today :D

There's nothing I want but I did grab myself a Belgian Chocolate Haagen Dazs at ASDS this morning :D

A trickle charger for a newly acquired project and a pedal for my sim racing setup. I’m not interested in much else

A trickle charger for a newly acquired project and a pedal for my sim racing setup. I’m not interested in much else

At the mo I'm very much liking Haagan Dazs Belgian chocolate ice cream.

After watching an interview of two blokes at Ben and Jerry's I decided to boycot their products. Just a personal decision :D

At the mo I'm very much liking Haagan Dazs Belgian chocolate ice cream.

After watching an interview of two blokes at Ben and Jerry's I decided to boycot their products. Just a personal decision :D
I always loved Hagan Daaz Choc Choc Chip but I've not seen it for years. I do really like Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie.

I always loved Hagan Daaz Choc Choc Chip but I've not seen it for years. I do really like Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie.

I hadn't treated myself to any posh ice cream for years but I bought an ASDA branded one a while back and liked it but they seem to have watered them down recently and very much so so I moved to Haagen Dazs.

One thing I do have a craving for is that soft ice cream that used to come out of the machine on the ice cream vans that used to roam the streets decades ago. There's sometimes an ice cream van at Saltburn but their ice cream is just the usual stuff out of tubs. It's not the same.

Last edited:
Back