The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks for everyone’s help and advice. Managed to get a good deal from my local LCE on an A7IV, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and spare battery earlier today. With trade in bonuses, Tamron promotion and some store discount I saved myself a reasonable amount off the listed price. The store had the camera and battery in stock, but unfortunately it will be Tuesday before the lens arrives.

Looking forward to properly getting into the Sony system!

Cheers,

Simon.

Well... so far I've found the eye detect not to be as accurate or consistent as with MFT and in single shot mode I've had more misfocused shots than with any of the other cameras I have. For example with Mrs WW walking / moving relatively slowly the Fuji's (I'm on my 2nd) can tend to miss whereas MFT tends to hit so that could be a camera/focus reaction time issue, it may not be reacting quickly enough and she's moved a bit by the time it does. Also with posed shots I've had missed focus shots, only slight misses maybe and I might have to look closely to see but they're still off a bit.

For me MFT does have a couple of strengths if going for the smaller bodies, I'm not interested in the bigger bodies. Smaller body wise and including the lenses they can still make a small package or with the larger lenses still a smaller package than the A7 and an equiv lens plus they have an electronic shutter and they're fast. I could convince myself that image quality wise the APS-C Fuji doesn't leave MFT far enough behind and doesn't match the old A7 but in some way it complements the A7 very well as it's smaller and it has an electronic shutter, but the handling and controls make the Fuji interesting and different.

I sometimes look at my old film shots and I have no intention of going back for multiple reasons.

I put my X100f in the inside pocket of a light summer jacket and it went in and stayed upright rather than falling forward as my MFT cameras tend to do, even the GM5, so the size and weight/weight distribution made that work and as it worked with my summer jacket it'll work with my winter coats too, so being able to put it in a coat pocket is quite a plus point.
I’ve never used anything but AF-C on Fuji and it’s always worked fine. Zone and AF-C for moving objects works well. Also stop down to f/2.8 for portraits, the main weakness of the F is wide open softness but easily overcome.

Evening all. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice regarding Kase magnetic filter sets, and in particular the sizing.

It's my understanding that you only need to size up for wide-angle lenses to prevent vignetting when stacking them so if my lenses were as follows....

Sony FE 16-35mm f4 G PZ - 72mm filter

Sony FE 24-70mm GM ii - 82mm filter

Sony 70-200mm GM ii - 77mm filter

Would I be correct in thinking that the 82mm set would be the one to go for?

Yes, though you may have an issue getting a lens hood on the lenses with a 77/72mm filter if you have an 82mm filter on.

Yes, though you may have an issue getting a lens hood on the lenses with a 77/72mm filter if you have an 82mm filter on.
I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose only an issue with the long lens as it's unavoidable with the wide-angle if stacking.

Evening all. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice regarding Kase magnetic filter sets, and in particular the sizing.

It's my understanding that you only need to size up for wide-angle lenses to prevent vignetting when stacking them so if my lenses were as follows....

Sony FE 16-35mm f4 G PZ - 72mm filter

Sony FE 24-70mm GM ii - 82mm filter

Sony 70-200mm GM ii - 77mm filter

Would I be correct in thinking that the 82mm set would be the one to go for?
If you want only one set then it’s a 82mm set and adapter rings (72 to 82mm and 77 to 82mm Kase adapters). If not you will need 2 or 3 sets of different sized sets suited for each lens (you may only need a 77mm and 82mm set to cover those lenses).

It’s a good point about hoods. All my canon lenses are 77mm so I went with a 77mm Kase filter set. That means I can fit the hoods on without worrying. I now only use the Kase magnetic lens caps on all my lenses. If I’d have gone larger for the UWA that would have caused issues with fitting hoods on other lenses.

I’d reach out to Kase, I found them to be very helpful when I asked about vignetting on the canon RF 14-35 f4. They advised a 82mm set but that would have meant difficulties with the other lenses hence sticking with 77mm and seeing if it was really a problem. When I tried stacking 77mm filters on the canon 14-35 (77mm filter thread) that I’d borrowed I found vignetting around 14/15mm with the polariser and one ND. That was only at the extreme wide angles so not a huge issue.

I’d expect it would be around the wide end of Sony 16-35 that you’d see vignetting though can’t be sure without testing.

I’m with canon now. I like the fact all of canons RF f4 holy trinity are all 77mm filter diameters (even the canon RF f2.8 holy trinity lens set is 82mm - 82mm - 77mm which doesn’t make sense from a filter point of view). It makes using filters easier, especially the magnetic type as I love the magnetic lens caps. It does mean stacking 77mm magnetic filters on the 14-35 will cause vignetting at the extreme wide angles but it’s something I can live with. The only thing canon could have done was make all lenses 82mm filter threads so filters didn’t vignette on the 14-35 but that would have made the lenses bigger and heavier so likely not really worth it.

What’s the internal diameter of the 70-200 lens hood? Would the lens hood fit over the 82mm filter adapter in place?

Edit: I’ve just checked my canon lenses and all lens hoods are a perfect fit for the filter thread size so no room for a wider filter adapter. I’d guess this be the same with Sony.

Last edited:
If you want only one set then it’s a 82mm set and adapter rings (72 to 82mm and 77 to 82mm Kase adapters). If not you will need 2 or 3 sets of different sized sets suited for each lens (you may only need a 77mm and 82mm set to cover those lenses).

It’s a good point about hoods. All my canon lenses are 77mm so I went with a 77mm Kase filter set. That means I can fit the hoods on without worrying. I now only use the Kase magnetic lens caps on all my lenses. If I’d have gone larger for the UWA that would have caused issues with fitting hoods on other lenses.

I’d reach out to Kase, I found them to be very helpful when I asked about vignetting on the canon RF 14-35 f4. They advised a 82mm set but that would have meant difficulties with the other lenses hence sticking with 77mm and seeing if it was really a problem. When I tried stacking 77mm filters on the canon 14-35 (77mm filter thread) that I’d borrowed I found vignetting around 14/15mm with the polariser and one ND. That was only at the extreme wide angles so not a huge issue.

I’d expect it would be around the wide end of Sony 16-35 that you’d see vignetting though can’t be sure without testing.

I’m with canon now. I like the fact all of canons RF f4 holy trinity are all 77mm filter diameters (even the canon RF f2.8 holy trinity lens set is 82mm - 82mm - 77mm which doesn’t make sense from a filter point of view). It makes using filters easier, especially the magnetic type as I love the magnetic lens caps. It does mean stacking 77mm magnetic filters on the 14-35 will cause vignetting at the extreme wide angles but it’s something I can live with. The only thing canon could have done was make all lenses 82mm filter threads so filters didn’t vignette on the 14-35 but that would have made the lenses bigger and heavier so likely not really worth it.

What’s the internal diameter of the 70-200 lens hood? Would the lens hood fit over the 82mm filter adapter in place?

Edit: I’ve just checked my canon lenses and all lens hoods are a perfect fit for the filter thread size so no room for a wider filter adapter. I’d guess this be the same with Sony.
Thank you for the thorough reply Rob.
Right now I'm still deciding on whether to go with the 70-200 or the 100-400 so I don't have one to check against. It's a good call for reaching out to Kase though, I'll give them a shout.

Thank you for the thorough reply Rob.
Right now I'm still deciding on whether to go with the 70-200 or the 100-400 so I don't have one to check against. It's a good call for reaching out to Kase though, I'll give them a shout.
Since the invention of magnetic filters which need to keep the adapter ring on permanently I feel it’s critical that ‘lens sets’ (lens that some genre users will buy to run together) are all the same thread size. It’s just annoying to find that you need different sized filters if you still want to use the lens hoods. That said I have seen Kase now do their own magnetic lens hoods. I’m not sure how they work in conjunction with the magnetic filters. It may be worth asking.

Some reprocessed pictures from 3rd January 2021. The base of Eston Hill which is maybe 1/2 hours walk from home.

A7 and the IMO much overlooked Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

The hill, trees and a plane. You can see the hill through the trees.

y95jqzH.jpg

Moon over the cables.

w7FIo0N.jpg

Cold winters day trees.

W8a9XlS.jpg

As it's a f1.4 I had to take a wide open picture.

rvEUzmO.jpg

Hope we get there again soon.

Last edited:
Scratch the telephoto itch....
Currently weighing up pro's and cons of the new Tamron 50-400 (new) vs Sony 100-400 (used) to be used with an A7IV

I've looked at Youtube reviews of the Tamron and it seems to review very favourably in comparison to the Sony. Just wondered if anyone has any real world thoughts on either. I want to use the lens for shots of working dogs primarily so not sure if speed will be an issue but I'am attracted to the additional reach compared to a 200 2.8.

Amy thoughts welcome.

Currently weighing up pro's and cons of the new Tamron 50-400 (new) vs Sony 100-400 (used) to be used with an A7IV

I've looked at Youtube reviews of the Tamron and it seems to review very favourably in comparison to the Sony. Just wondered if anyone has any real world thoughts on either. I want to use the lens for shots of working dogs primarily so not sure if speed will be an issue but I'am attracted to the additional reach compared to a 200 2.8.

Amy thoughts welcome.

I had the same problem, I went with the Sony purely because I read the Tamron is slightly slower and less accurate when focusing, faster fps plus I could use my 1.4x converter with it but otherwise I would have probably gone for the cheaper Tamron (mainly for the close focus ability). IQ wise I couldn't see anything in it.

Edit: There is a reasonably priced 100-400mm in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Just a word of warning guys, think twice before ordering from John Lewis. My 24-70mm is decentered, went through the returns process and I have to physically return it to store. My nearest John Lewis is an hour away. When asked why I can't return it via post they said it's because they need to physically check it in store so I questioned why they can't just do that when it's returned via post and she couldn't answer me why. Pretty poor customer service that IMO :mad::mad::mad:

Just a word of warning guys, think twice before ordering from John Lewis. My 24-70mm is decentered, went through the returns process and I have to physically return it to store. My nearest John Lewis is an hour away. When asked why I can't return it via post they said it's because they need to physically check it in store so I questioned why they can't just do that when it's returned via post and she couldn't answer me why. Pretty poor customer service that IMO :mad::mad::mad:

Do you think staff in store will be able to check it?

Do you think staff in store will be able to check it?
Not for one second. I can't even post it back as a return under the distant selling act, I've contacted the complaints department.

Not for one second. I can't even post it back as a return under the distant selling act, I've contacted the complaints department.

Oh dear.

Hope you get this sorted and then I think this company could be one to avoid in future.

Amy thoughts welcome.
I tried the Tamron, AF was poor imo, personally I’d grab the 100-400 in the classifieds it’s a bargain.

If it’s under 35 days you can return it via a Waitrose without giving a reason other than “ change of mind”.

If it’s under 35 days you can return it via a Waitrose without giving a reason other than “ change of mind”.
Thanks, not according to JL I can't. I'll wait to see what the complaints dept says (y)

Amy thoughts welcome.
I shoot quite a lot of dog action photography. In terms of lens choice I would go Sony GM if you can. One reason is fps if you eventually get one of teh action focussed cameras like A9. The other is the speed of focus. I have the Tamron 70-180 and it is a cracking lens but nowhere near the level of the 70-200GM2 in terms of focus speed and particularly so if you are zooming. I'm not sure what range you need with working dogs but imagine a longer focal length would be useful. I also have the 100-400 Sony and it is a brilliant lens too. If you buy second hand you will be able to use it for a year or two and hardly lose any money. My gut says go Sony GM, if you can get closer to teh action the extra two stops of light may be very useful early morning and late evening. If you need the longer focal length then the 100-400GM is excellent. For action photography the 70-200 is probably a lens you will want in you bag at some point though.

Saltburn. A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

Rocks and cliffs.

8KuPvwc.jpg

Just the rocks.

p9q84tJ.jpg

From a distance.

DaHp5yN.jpg

I see some banding in the sky here, it's not visible in the originals.
I see the banding too, it’s probably the way TP compresses images :(

Update from John Lewis complaints, I was misinformed by their "new member of staff" and they could arrange for the lens to me collected or I can drop it off at Waitrose. I've chosen collection as my nearest Waitrose is Sheffield.

I'm almost Sonyless and it feels weird. I got some great photos from that gear. :(

I'm almost Sonyless and it feels weird. I got some great photos from that gear. :(

Hope the changes are gonna be worth it to you. Some itches have just got to be scratched.

I've not bought new anything yet and I'm going to wait for the 24-105mm sale to finalise first. I've got an awful lot going on just now so need some time to really get into the detail of it all.

Back