The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm surprised that 50mm f1.2 hasn't been bought yet. I was very nearly tempted myself.
Can be had cheaper new grey so maybe that's why?

Yeah it's very cheap at einfinity, although i'd rather try to haggle a bit off at Panamoz for the 3 year warranty and pay a bit more.
I've never bought from E-infinity but lenses do tend to be quite a bit cheaper than Panamoz when I've looked. I keep eyeing up the 20-70mm but so far have managed to resist ;)

I'd *love* it, but already turned down Kris's 85 ART because we're in a period of high expenditure.

I have 3 e mount 50/55mm lenses now, that's the 55mm f1.8 and two manual 50's plus quite a few film era ones but the main reason for not going for this f1.2 is the size as I do like smaller kit. Some will think this f1.2 is relatively small and it is the smallest of its type but something like the Sony 35/55/20mm f1.8 is really as big a lens as I want.

PS.
I had a quick Google and the asking price is close to grey but, some people have a problem with grey so I reasoned that some might bite at asking.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that 50mm f1.2 hasn't been bought yet. I was very nearly tempted myself.

I would quite like to try one but have no real interest in anything under 400mm really, unless it's a macro. The 200-600mm is the only reason I decided to change over to Sony but would certainly move systems should something better come along at a sensible price (watching Nikon closely)

I would quite like to try one but have no real interest in anything under 400mm really, unless it's a macro. The 200-600mm is the only reason I decided to change over to Sony but would certainly move systems should something better come along at a sensible price (watching Nikon closely)

My main interest in recent years has been 35/50 but what holds me back is that I like smaller less attention grabbing kit and the likes of the 50mm f1.2 whilst being relatively small in todays terms is still a big honker compared with some :D

My main interest in recent years has been 35/50 but what holds me back is that I like smaller less attention grabbing kit and the likes of the 50mm f1.2 whilst being relatively small in todays terms is still a big honker compared with some :D
That's what puts me off, and unless comparing side by side I doubt I'd see the difference in subject isolation and background blur compared to f1.4

I've never bought from E-infinity but lenses do tend to be quite a bit cheaper than Panamoz when I've looked. I keep eyeing up the 20-70mm but so far have managed to resist ;)
Hmm you'll probably disagree as you obviously fancy the 20-70mm after eyeing her up constantly for a few weeks :ROFLMAO: but you could keep the 16-35 f4, get shot of the 24-70 and 35 and replace with the Tamron 28-75 G2, it's superb, you've got everything covered from 16-560, one lens less for the bag.

PS. Did I mention it's superb ? :ROFLMAO:

That's what puts me off, and unless comparing side by side I doubt I'd see the difference in subject isolation and background blur compared to f1.4

I did a thread on this with my 40mm f1.2 and concluded (for myself) that the main differences are the size of the bokeh balls and that for most scenes the significant differences between f1.x and smaller apertures becomes apparent somewhere around f2.x-f2.5.

Using my 50mm f1.1 my views haven't changed and for me shallow dof wise there's not a lot of difference wide open to about f2.2/f2.5 and only at the point and smaller do the differences become significantly visible, IMO, apart from the size of bokeh balls, So f1.2 or f1.4, for me, I really wouldn't care.

Hmm you'll probably disagree as you obviously fancy the 20-70mm after eyeing her up constantly for a few weeks :ROFLMAO: but you could keep the 16-35 f4, get shot of the 24-70 and 35 and replace with the Tamron 28-75 G2, it's superb, you've got everything covered from 16-560, one lens less for the bag.

PS. Did I mention it's superb ? :ROFLMAO:
The 20-70mm would be a dog walking and travel lens so times when I’m only going out with one lens, 28mm isn’t wide enough. I’d actually prefer a 16-50mm or even 18-50mm over the 20-70mm but nobody seems to want to make one ;)

So no A9iii rumours or have I missed something.
Nothing yet, but I’m guessing they’re on American time so maybe it’ll get posted later, or maybe they’ve just forgotten :thinking:

Managed to get hold of the new Sigma 60-600mm DN lens last week, replaced various combinations to cover a similar range (200-600 waaaay too long for me at the short end, as nice as a combo as it made with the Tamron 28-200) and most recently the Tamron 70-180 and Sigma 100-400 (love that lens).

Anyhoo, absolute shocker of a day to be trying it out, torrential rain for 3 hours then constant 40mph+ winds, seems to be working well though, will get a more extensive work out at Goodwood this weekend. The main thing is that AF seems to be incredibly snappy on my a9, so I'm a happy bunny (oh and water resistance seems respectable!)

CC Howard's Day 2023 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Managed to get hold of the new Sigma 60-600mm DN lens last week, replaced various combinations to cover a similar range (200-600 waaaay too long for me at the long end, as nice as a combo as it made with the Tamron 28-200) and most recently the Tamron 70-180 and Sigma 100-400 (love that lens).

Anyhoo, absolute shocker of a day to be trying it out, torrential rain for 3 hours then constant 40mph+ winds, seems to be working well though, will get a more extensive work out at Goodwood this weekend. The main thing is that AF seems to be incredibly snappy on my a9, so I'm a happy bunny (oh and water resistance seems respectable!)

Nice :) My mate was up there racing in the Modified Ford's.

Sony folks! Hi!

I have a question please. I have an A7IV now, and I was wondering a few things about the general handling and setup.

1. Can touch operation type be saved somehow between custom modes? On Custom1, when I switch between photo and video I want it to be a touch pad on photo (for drag and drop AF point when shooting in the VF) , and to have touch tracking for video AF. At the moment you have to cycle between the modes every time you switch between photo and video.

2. Any way of getting rid of the annoying cancel tacking that comes up in the middle of the LCD when tracking? It's right in the way! Same question with the anti-flicker note, right in the middle!

I probably have more wee things too as I set up the camera, but for now these would really help. Cheers!

Mbp told me that the reason they don't add shutter counts to their cameras is because shutter count software is inaccurate and unreliable, is that right? If so, how do I get an accurate shutter account on Sony cameras when buying pre-owned?

I think they are talking BS.

It might be off by a few, but it's not off by 6 digits.

I'd avoid them anyway, because their own descriptions of cameras in almost every other aspect is inaccurate.

Mbp told me that the reason they don't add shutter counts to their cameras is because shutter count software is inaccurate and unreliable, is that right? If so, how do I get an accurate shutter account on Sony cameras when buying pre-owned?
The shutter count will be an accurate count of the number of shutter activations - but on mirrorless cameras thus will often be completely different to the number of shots taken.
In full mechanical shutter mode, the shutter starts open, then closes before the shot, opens to start the exposure, closed to end the exposure, then opens to allow the evf / live view to resume.
In electronic front curtain, it starts open, stays open when the shot starts, closes to end the shot, opens to allow ef / live view to resume.
In full electronic mode, it just stays open.

In terms of other subject recognition I’m not sure whether I’d ever use it, if I can’t focus on a car or a train etc myself then I think I should just give up :laugh:

I made that same comment in a Facebook group when people kept moaning about the lack of firmware updates for the A1 and how it's no longer a flagship product :ROFLMAO: . If you can't tell the difference between a train, car or insect or just don't know where the focus should be, then maybe think about doing something else.

Although I do think the subject recognition is great for those who just use Auto mode like my kids.

I guess the point with shutter life is that what value is that number now, due to the various ways of triggering the 'shutter' as described above? It's not likely to give any sort of accurate representation of how the camera has been used. You may as well look at grip wear or button shine first, and even then pretty much everything can be replaced (including the mechanical shutter!)

Quoted shutter life expectancy of modern Sony's is between 200k and 500k now. The usage of my a9s is roughly 100,000:1 in favour of the ES, so I'd presumably be somewhere in the billions of photos before I troubled the quoted mechanical shutter life!

Last edited:
Managed to get hold of the new Sigma 60-600mm DN lens last week, replaced various combinations to cover a similar range (200-600 waaaay too long for me at the short end, as nice as a combo as it made with the Tamron 28-200) and most recently the Tamron 70-180 and Sigma 100-400 (love that lens).

Whilst it's not very nice shooting in bad weather it does add something special to the images as seen by the reflections and light trails in these images (y)

I guess the point with shutter life is that what value is that number now, due to the various ways of triggering the 'shutter' as described above? It's not likely to give any sort of accurate representation of how the camera has been used. You may as well look at grip wear or button shine first, and even then pretty much everything can be replaced (including the mechanical shutter!)

Quoted shutter life expectancy of modern Sony's is between 200k and 500k now. The usage of my a9s is roughly 100,000:1 in favour of the ES, so I'd presumably be somewhere in the billions of photos before I troubled the quoted mechanical shutter life!
I take it shutter count only counts the mechanical shutter then? I wonder if it counts every time I turn the camera on and off as I have it set for the shutter to close when I turn the camera off?

Last edited:
I take it shutter count only counts the mechanical shutter then? I wonder if it counts every time I turn the camera on and off as I have it set for the shutter to close when I turn the camera off?

I've just checked my A1 and A9II on 2 different sites and it definitely only counts mechanical activations, A1 is at 151 and A9II is at 661, on Monday alone I fired off 1990 on the A1 and 2371 on the A9 :ROFLMAO:

I think it does count the protective shutter each time as well as I don't think I've ever used the mechanical shutter on the A1 and had that feature turned on for a little bit as well.

Last edited:
I made that same comment in a Facebook group when people kept moaning about the lack of firmware updates for the A1 and how it's no longer a flagship product :ROFLMAO: . If you can't tell the difference between a train, car or insect or just don't know where the focus should be, then maybe think about doing something else.

Although I do think the subject recognition is great for those who just use Auto mode like my kids.
If those people on Facebook don't think the A1 is a flagship product then it must be only worth about £2000. I'll take one off their hands for that.

Yeah some obvious click bait then no info really will be glad of the non articulating screen though.

Also mentioned lacking video features which suits me as well.
That would be fine by me as well.

Sigma 105mm macro vs Sony 90mm macro - talk to me
I haven't used either, however from what I've read the Sigma is sharper (and at the time of review was the sharpest lens lenstip had ever tested) and it has a bit more working distance.

Sigma 105mm macro vs Sony 90mm macro - talk to me

I have the Sony always rated it. Has reasonable a.f speed which is surprising for a macro if you want to use it for anything else.

Not used the Sigma. All macro lenses tend to be good to be fair.

I traded an Olympus camera in a while back with LCE which I pretty much exclusively used electronic shutter for over the couple of years I owned it . When they checked, it showed the camera had been ‘power cycled’ thousands of times, but had only taken just over 300 photographs .

I know this is not Sony related but I've just seen an ad for a new Monochrome Pentax and it got me wondering what the benefits are of this? Modern cameras can shoot in colour and monochrome, and also you have the ability to convert to monochrome in post so why would you have a monochrome only camera and narrow your options? Do monochrome cameras capture light differently or something meaning that they'll give a look that you will never achieve by processing a colour captured image?

I know this is not Sony related but I've just seen an ad for a new Monochrome Pentax and it got me wondering what the benefits are of this? Modern cameras can shoot in colour and monochrome, and also you have the ability to convert to monochrome in post so why would you have a monochrome only camera and narrow your options? Do monochrome cameras capture light differently or something meaning that they'll give a look that you will never achieve by processing a colour captured image?

I guess a bit like fixed focal length, it just forces a way of working.

Ping if u go to Donington Snerk it’s about 2 hours from me so prob same as Caldwell I’ll try pop along
I don't know if you saw my post a few days back, but I'm off to Donington for the BTCC on Sunday 23rd April (y)

I'd guess you have the option of improved low light, or of much higher resolution - since you can either have a the same number of photocells, but each is a pixel (rather than a group being needed for colour), or have much larger photocells instead of a group of smaller photocells.

I'd guess you have the option of improved low light, or of much higher resolution - since you can either have a the same number of photocells, but each is a pixel (rather than a group being needed for colour), or have much larger photocells instead of a group of smaller photocells.
Ahh, interesting (y)

Back