The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Because some people deal with thousands if not tens of thousand files a week.

Sure nothing wrong with that.
As per my proverb above you either need to have the setup to deal with large files effectively and efficiently or you don't buy cameras which have large output file.
Complaining on a shoot is hardly productive or effective.

I never really understood the people who complain file sizes tbh.

Where I come from there is a proverb that roughly translates to "if you keep an elephant as a pet, you need to be ready to feed it too".
(applies for your A1 too I guess ;) )
There's no doubt the bigger files take longer to process, especially if you don't have a system that's properly up to the task. I've noticed that Topaz, especially Denoise, is slower with the A1 files as it was the A9 II files. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade back for one second but I'm also fortunate that I have a system that's pretty high spec, thinking back to my old system I can imagine I'd get pretty frustrated ;)

The trouble is some buy without realising/understanding that it can cause issues.

Can somebody explain the issue with slow shutter speed panning and the electronic shutter in bodies such as the a9? I think possibly EVF lag or stuttering? I recall reading it about it here a while back but had never noticed it myself, so at the weekend I made a conscious effort to see it...nothing (I'm using the original a9). I even went back to the mechanical shutter for a while to remember what that felt like compared to the EVF, hated it!

1/13...

Goodwood 80MM by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Can somebody explain the issue with slow shutter speed panning and the electronic shutter in bodies such as the a9? I think possibly EVF lag or stuttering? I recall reading it about it here a while back but had never noticed it myself, so at the weekend I made a conscious effort to see it...nothing (I'm using the original a9). I even went back to the mechanical shutter for a while to remember what that felt like compared to the EVF, hated it!

1/13...

Goodwood 80MM by Chris Harrison, on Flickr
It was me using the A9 ii, when using slower shutters and continuous burst shooting when you first press the shutter release it creates an initial lag and then it's like you're watching a slideshow effect whilst you're holding the shutter down.

It is a known effect but maybe some people see it more than others, like the tearing effect that have plagued some of the Panasonic cameras, or the graininess when you start to focus on some Sonys :thinking: If you don't see it then don't go looking for it as it's a pain ;)

I'm interested to see what the A1 will be like this weekend, I'm going to try all 3 EVF refresh rates, the new frame rate low limit setting (which is supposed to negate the issue) as well as turning off live view setting effect if none of the solves the issue. Lab coat at the ready :LOL:

On a different note I was looking at your Goodwood photos last night, stunning set (y) Goodwood really lends itself to great paddock shots doesn't it (y)

Last edited:
Ordered a K&F 1/8 Black diffusion filter to try it out and see if I like it, didn't want to spend a lot of money until I find out whether it's something that I'll use a lot or not.

I never really understood the people who complain file sizes tbh.

Where I come from there is a proverb that roughly translates to "if you keep an elephant as a pet, you need to be ready to feed it too".
(applies for your A1 too I guess ;) )

I don't agree with that at all!

My workstation that I use for editing cost just over 5k all told, it's ridiculously fast.

It is still very frustrating editing files from our A7RIVa compared to our other bodies, even with this spec compared to the files from our other bodies. All those seconds add up.

High res bodies are a complete pitta when your editing tens of thousands of files a month like we will do during busy months.

That is why we have to be selective around what we use the A7RIVa for as the files are a pain in the bum, it's also the reason we won't switch to A1's. High res bodies are also a bit of a waste for us as we don't crop enough or need prints large enough to make they come into their own.

Of course different if it's just for hobbyist use as you don't have people literally screaming at you wanting their images, so the added time needed in post isn't really a concern.

It was me using the A9 ii, when using slower shutters and continuous burst shooting when you first press the shutter release it creates an initial lag and then it's like you're watching a slideshow effect whilst you're holding the shutter down.

It is a known effect but maybe some people see it more than others, like the tearing effect that have plagued some of the Panasonic cameras, or the graininess when you start to focus on some Sonys :thinking: If you don't see it then don't go looking for it as it's a pain ;)

I'm interested to see what the A1 will be like this weekend, I'm going to try all 3 EVF refresh rates, the new frame rate low limit setting (which is supposed to negate the issue) as well as turning off live view setting effect if none of the solves the issue. Lab coat at the ready :LOL:

On a different note I was looking at your Goodwood photos last night, stunning set (y) Goodwood really lends itself to great paddock shots doesn't it (y)

Ah that's interesting, I'm 100% going to stop looking as thankfully I'm not seeing it!

And yes, nowhere better for paddock shots than Goodwood, they are so so good at consistent theming, there is very little that is obviously out of place, so it makes for great photos. I imagine the Revival is even better but as a regular joe I wouldn't have the access I get at the MM.

Ah that's interesting, I'm 100% going to stop looking as thankfully I'm not seeing it!

And yes, nowhere better for paddock shots than Goodwood, they are so so good at consistent theming, there is very little that is obviously out of place, so it makes for great photos. I imagine the Revival is even better but as a regular joe I wouldn't have the access I get at the MM.
I always thought you had accreditation for some reason, maybe I’m mixing you up with another Chris :thinking:

I think I know the effect you mean and see it on my A9II and A1, Is it like you see a brief review of the photo you've taken, blur and everything, rather than high frame rate continuous view? Tbh it's never bothered me, but I did try that low limit setting you mentioned, and then turned it straight back off again :ROFLMAO:

I think I know the effect you mean and see it on my A9II and A1, Is it like you see a brief review of the photo you've taken, blur and everything, rather than high frame rate continuous view? Tbh it's never bothered me, but I did try that low limit setting you mentioned, and then turned it straight back off again :ROFLMAO:

Oh ok I get this now, I actually like this. I imagine it would be a nightmare at high frame rates, but I always use the lowest it'll let me use short of firing off single shot frames manually anyway (if the pan movement isn't accurate I'd rather have 3 photos to cull rather than 15!). If you're panning over a pretty wide arc you actually get a sense if the photo is sharp or not as you go. You've got to be damn quick on your feet to process that and adjust, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing when down at 1/10 or whatever.

I did quite a bit of LCD panning at Goodwood too, as I wanted to practice lower angles without kneeling in mud, never done that before but went much better than expected.

Last edited:
Exactly, same here Chris, it's great to tell if it's worked or not in that moment without chimping. I think it happens from any speed 1/60th and below (or at least that's when I start noticing it), but it does get more noticeable around 1/20th and lower imo and I will often start opening both eyes at that point to keep the tracking.

Haven't tried much LCD panning yet, it feels odd to me, but I do use it for head on shots, saves my old knees from creaking :ROFLMAO:.

Oh ok I get this now, I actually like this. I imagine it would be a nightmare at high frame rates, but I always use the lowest it'll let me use short of firing off single shot frames manually anyway (if the pan movement isn't accurate I'd rather have 3 photos to cull rather than 15!). If you're panning over a pretty wide arc you actually get a sense if the photo is sharp or not as you go. You've got to be damn quick on your feet to process that and adjust, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing when down at 1/10 or whatever.

I did quite a bit of LCD panning at Goodwood too, as I wanted to practice lower angles without kneeling in mud, never done that before but went much better than expected.
I might try that approach, I’ve always had it set to the fastest frame rate but my hit rate is low, I’m not guaranteed to get a hit every time a car passes, even if I take a series of 10-15 shots during the pass. That being said if shooting at 1/10 you’re only going to get a max of 10fps.

I do wish my hit rate was higher but no matter what I try (monopod, hand held, holding the lens in different ways etc) it’s still low.

Just looked at the prices for the 35mm f1.4 GM, doesn’t appear to have gone down very much since launch, therefore I assume the 50mm f1.4 GM won’t decrease very much either. As much as I’d like them I don’t use lenses like this enough to justify those prices.

Still shows £749 for me :thinking:
Maybe try incognito mode could be a cookie issue at your end.

Shows at £429 both on Amazon.co.U.K. And on the app for me. They have just sold out now anyway and is quoting up to 2 weeks delivery.

Was also posted to hotukdeals so sold out quickly

Maybe try incognito mode could be a cookie issue at your end.

Shows at £429 both on Amazon.co.U.K. And on the app for me. They have just sold out now anyway and is quoting up to 2 weeks delivery.

Was also posted to hotukdeals so sold out quickly
Tried both app and online, maybe it picks up your location despite which site you’re on?

Either way it’s not a lens that interests me, was only going to look into whether I could’ve sold it on at a profit (y)

Tried both app and online, maybe it picks up your location despite which site you’re on?

Either way it’s not a lens that interests me, was only going to look into whether I could’ve sold it on at a profit (y)

Can’t imagine it’s a location based thing I am using a vpn that would have me in London.

Nobody on hotukdeals seemed to have any issues.

Edit- Just changed vpn to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff etc all shows price at £429.

Last edited:
Can’t imagine it’s a location based thing I am using a vpn that would have me in London.

Nobody on hotukdeals seemed to have any issues.

Edit- Just changed vpn to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff etc all shows price at £429.
Very odd :confused:

I might try that approach, I’ve always had it set to the fastest frame rate but my hit rate is low, I’m not guaranteed to get a hit every time a car passes, even if I take a series of 10-15 shots during the pass. That being said if shooting at 1/10 you’re only going to get a max of 10fps.

I do wish my hit rate was higher but no matter what I try (monopod, hand held, holding the lens in different ways etc) it’s still low.

As a rule if your panning speed/movement isn't perfectly in sync with the subject it doesn't matter if you're at 1fps or 100 for that pass, you aren't getting a sharp shot. That's what I've always found anyway, a bonus that it apparently helps with the electronic shutter!

I've no idea why but my hit rate is much better when I'm shooting with the lens/camera at about 45 degrees, I just have a better grip that way than it just being straight on, and my panning movement is much smoother as a result. It means nearly all my shots are naturally slanted, but I tend to shoot fairly wide so have room to straighten in post if I want to. Heavier lens the better for me too, the 60-600mm is 2.5kg, it's a dream, really dampens movement (and wind).

As a rule if your panning speed/movement isn't perfectly in sync with the subject it doesn't matter if you're at 1fps or 100 for that pass, you aren't getting a sharp shot. That's what I've always found anyway, a bonus that it apparently helps with the electronic shutter!

I've no idea why but my hit rate is much better when I'm shooting with the lens/camera at about 45 degrees, I just have a better grip that way than it just being straight on, and my panning movement is much smoother as a result. It means nearly all my shots are naturally slanted, but I tend to shoot fairly wide so have room to straighten in post if I want to. Heavier lens the better for me too, the 60-600mm is 2.5kg, it's a dream, really dampens movement (and wind).
Yeah I get that it doesn’t matter how many shots you take if the technique isn’t good. I’m better with lighter lenses.

If you’re panning with the camera at an angle doesn’t this affect the orientation of the motion blur?

If you’re panning with the camera at an angle doesn’t this affect the orientation of the motion blur?

Straighten an angled shot and it'll look exactly as if you panned straight. I guess even though the sensor is tilted you're still actually panning horizontally, you can intentionally move the camera vertically during a pan (or 'flick' it at the end) for some crazy motion blur and streaks of colour.

I guess panning OIS modes wouldn't work as they'd expect a flat horizontal pan, but I've never trusted them anyway, too much risk of it trying to correct something I intended

I am not in Ireland.

My apologies then. £749 for me. The landing page doesn't show any price at all, and I only see prices if I use the buying options tab.

Same happens in a different browser.

Might be a HUKD-specific deal. If you didn't come from there first time of viewing then it may not give the price. FWIW that lens isn't on the HUKD site that I can see - only the sigma 105.

Just a thought - your TP location is Northern Ireland. It may be that because that's a previously recognised location, both HUKD and Amazon are presenting you with different information from us, even if you're not there right now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Straighten an angled shot and it'll look exactly as if you panned straight. I guess even though the sensor is tilted you're still actually panning horizontally, you can intentionally move the camera vertically during a pan (or 'flick' it at the end) for some crazy motion blur and streaks of colour.

I guess panning OIS modes wouldn't work as they'd expect a flat horizontal pan, but I've never trusted them anyway, too much risk of it trying to correct something I intended
Interesting, I understand you're still panning horizontally, but with the camera tilted that horizontal is different to the horizontal the car is moving. I don't dispute for one second you're right as clearly you've done it and seen the result, I just can't get me pea brain around it :LOL:

1tb cfexpress type a for €599.
That's the first time I saw one and thought not a bad dead compared to several V90s.
I'd still buy four Kingston Canvas V90s though as they have come down in price too.

I searched hukd for Sigma, for Sony, for lens deals, and it never appeared.
I didn't see it either, only deals for the Canon one. Odd as it's clearly been there for Tommy, no idea why it didn't show for anyone else :thinking:

Back