The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Lightroom now has a denoise feature that rivals Topaz and DXO, downloaded the update last night and it's pretty good.
I'll look into that later (y) Hopefully it's faster than Topaz.

I bought something.

Nothing too exciting just a used Sony 28-60mm f4-5.6. I already had the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 but I thought the smaller size of the 28-60mm might mean that I'd take it out more although I think I'll still mostly be a prime guy :D

Flowers at home.

iveLQuE.jpg

Flowers at Saltburn sea front.

oGR6R7w.jpg

Picnic time.

yrK36oI.jpg

The Lower Path.

TNmtwZE.jpg

Church.

sSI84Nl.jpg

My mini review.
It seems to be quite a good lens although the collapsible nature and the quite rough lock and release action might put some off. There's quite severe distortion and some is still visible after the profile has been applied but colour and contrast and sharpness all seem good to me from wide open and even into the corners. As a small kit lens I think the distortion is the biggest gripe but other than that I think it's ok as a day out lens but of course the aperture range is quite limiting if you're looking for shallow dof or low light hand held ability.

I think I could look to sell my 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 and also my Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 MFT lens. I'll have a think but I do tend to buy and not sell :D

Last edited:
Its certainly got its faults but for a kit lens its pretty good ;)

I hardly ever use zooms but I thought a lens like this and a prime would cover just about everything with the prime doing low light and shallow dof and the zoom doing wider and longer and the only thing really missing being long lens stuff. So I thought I'd give it a go.

Just edited that as it didn't say what I meant :D

Last edited:
I hardly ever use zooms but I thought a lens like this and a prime would cover just about everything except low light, shallow dof and long lens stuff so I thought I'd give it a go.
Personally, I prefer the versatility of zooms.
I'm kinda hankering over the Tamron 20-40
I do like my 24GM and 85 f1.8 although they don't get used as much as they should.

Personally, I prefer the versatility of zooms.
I'm kinda hankering over the Tamron 20-40
I do like my 24GM and 85 f1.8 although they don't get used as much as they should.

Yes. I thought about that and I nearly bought it and indeed I still might but this cheap kit lens will let me test if I really want to use a zoom or not and if not I haven't lost too much.

I mostly use a 35/50mm prime with occasional use of my 20, 24, 28 or 85mm. Mostly I'm 35/50 as I know where to stand and what I'm going to get.

Last edited:
Not sure I’d agree this is affordable for the masses. Maybe if they did a 64 or 128gb version.
74B27E93-9A67-4617-8CE5-C9102B953FF8.png

Lightroom now has a denoise feature that rivals Topaz and DXO, downloaded the update last night and it's pretty good.
Just had a go with some of my Kingfisher pics that were shot at ISO 5000, despite having very little control using the LR Denoise I've found it actually gives better results than I can acheive with Topaz :oops: :$

Just had a go with some of my Kingfisher pics that were shot at ISO 5000, despite having very little control using the LR Denoise I've found it actually gives better results than I can acheive with Topaz :oops: :$
Yeah i'm playing with it now, i'd say it's on par with DXO Pure Raw 3, never really rated Topaz as the images always look a bit over cooked imo.

Yeah i'm playing with it now, i'd say it's on par with DXO Pure Raw 3, never really rated Topaz as the images always look a bit over cooked imo.
That'd be down to the settings surely and how much you moved the sliders? What I've found is that sometimes it can remove the vibrancy even without moving the colour noise slider.

I'm not sure how well this will show on here, but these are 1:1 crops of Topaz vs Lightroom's Denoise, I've had to add vibrancy back to the blues on the Topaz image here. My only gripes with the lightroom denoise is that you can only full full screen or mega zoomed in, and there's no mask function (that I've found at least)

Topaz by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Lightroom by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I can't get super resolution to work though for some reason, even following the instructions online, i.e. right click on the image and select enhance.

That'd be down to the settings surely and how much you moved the sliders? What I've found is that sometimes it can remove the vibrancy even without moving the colour noise slider.

I'm not sure how well this will show on here, but these are 1:1 crops of Topaz vs Lightroom's Denoise, I've had to add vibrancy back to the blues on the Topaz image here. My only gripes with the lightroom denoise is that you can only full full screen or mega zoomed in, and there's no mask function (that I've found at least)

I can't get super resolution to work though for some reason, even following the instructions online, i.e. right click on the image and select enhance.
Topaz still seems better IME at the moment for the good majority of the files I tried it on. Plus masking is very useful.
But this is only first version of LR denoise and it's impressive for first iteration. I won't be paying to upgrade the topaz for time being and see where this goes.

Topaz still seems better IME at the moment for the good majority of the files I tried it on. Plus masking is very useful.
But this is only first version of LR denoise and it's impressive for first iteration. I won't be paying to upgrade the topaz for time being and see where this goes.
Bet there are a few meetings at dxo and Topaz now, would think big worry for them

Its confusing that they’ve added the super resolution (enhance) button on that screen, it’s a totally separate function. Right click on the image and you’ll get the enhance function.

Its confusing that they’ve added the super resolution (enhance) button on that screen, it’s a totally separate function. Right click on the image and you’ll get the enhance function.
As I said it doesn’t work for me, it’s still greyed out when I do that o_O

As I said it doesn’t work for me, it’s still greyed out when I do that o_O
Just figured it out, it’s so simple when you realise :facepalm: When the window comes up it automatically ticks the denoise box, all I have to do is untick that and the super resolution option is no longer greyed out. I don’t even have to do the right click > enhance way, I can just click the denoise button in the develop panel.

The annoying thing is that you can't do both denoise and super res on and image as when you do either it creates a .dng file and this file is then not compatible with the denoise/enhance feature which is a bit odd considering .dng is adobe's own format :oops: :$

Last edited:
Just figured it out, it’s so simple when you realise :facepalm: When the window comes up it automatically ticks the denoise box, all I have to do is untick that and the super resolution option is no longer greyed out. I don’t even have to do the right click > enhance way, I can just click the denoise button in the develop panel.

The annoying thing is that you can't do both denoise and super res on and image as when you do either it creates a .dng file and this file is then not compatible with the denoise/enhance feature which is a bit odd considering .dng is adobe's own format :oops: :$
With topaz photo Ai you can do all that in one go which is nice.
I'm sure LR will improve but for now topaz is still better overall for me

Ah!

I see my PS2023 now has denoise. I'll give it a go :D

PS.
I'm impressed.

I've just tried it on some A7 pictures taken at ISO 25,600 under some horrible artificial light and the results although horrible at 100% look ok as a whole picture filling my screen and would I guess look perfectly ok as an A4 print viewed normally.

Well done Adobe. A grudging thumbs up to you. Grudging because, well, Adobe :D

Last edited:
With topaz photo Ai you can do all that in one go which is nice.
I'm sure LR will improve but for now topaz is still better overall for me
You can but I don’t rate the photo AI, the individual ones are better for me (y) At least with these I can send to denoise, back to LR then out again to gigapixel or sharpen.

Last edited:
You can but I don’t rate the photo AI, the individual ones are better for me (y)
of course, but I have a feeling with photo AI they'll eventually get to the point where it can do everything the individual ones can do so they can deprecate them.
makes for a simpler workflow and that's what is really nice about having this feature in LR.
The thing is for a vast majority of the time LR will be good enough. Its really only for the 5-10% I'll need topaz for masking and fine tuning.
So the likelihood is I will not really use topaz as much as I used to.

of course, but I have a feeling with photo AI they'll eventually get to the point where it can do everything the individual ones can do so they can deprecate them.
makes for a simpler workflow and that's what is really nice about having this feature in LR.
The thing is for a vast majority of the time LR will be good enough. Its really only for the 5-10% I'll need topaz for masking and fine tuning.
So the likelihood is I will not really use topaz as much as I used to.
Very true, likewise LR will get better too and then I’ll be kicking myself for having spent money on Topaz :LOL:

So this lunchtime I've had a play with the exposure std adjustment I talked about a few days ago as I've always felt highlight metering worked OTT on all of my Sony cameras. Here's 2 shots of my back garden (excuse the washing :LOL:), one with the default highlight metering and one with the exposure std set to 1. As you can see in the image set with exposure std set to 1 there's still no blown highlights and there were no zebras whilst shooting. You can see how much better the exposure looks in the histogram.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 13.34.23 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Now I don't believe this is the exact scene they were thinking of when they designed this metering mode, however I'm wondering if I can use this for general shooting knowing that I'm not going to blow highlights like I often do when using wide/multi metering without compensation. Basically I'm going to see if I can shoot day to day images without needing to use exp compensation all the time with high contrast scenes such as this. Of course I'll likely need to boost exposure in post, but even boosting the above shot by 1ev only caused minimal clipping (as shown highlighted) and this will be able to be brought back. It'll be interesting to see what the results are.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 13.43.14 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

One difference with LR and topaz is you can only use LR on raw files where as topaz can be used on jpegs as well.

Has anyone used the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG DN and can say how good it is in terms of pop and subject isolation, and if possible how it compares to the Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4 please? I'd love the GM but as the price has barely moved since launch I don't think it's ever going to be justifiable.

Hmmm.

I have a problem with this new Adobe denoise thingy.

I noticed when looking at a JPEG that the bottom left hand corner of one shot looks too bright so I opened the denoised raw and it isn't. So I tried saving it again and it was just the same. So, the raw I see in the raw processor is not what the final jpeg looks like. I've seen this mismatch between raw and jpeg once before with Silkipix.

Brushing on -1 stop of exposure compensation fixed the over bright corner but it shouldn't be there in the peg as it isn't in the raw.

Is anyone else seeing any discrepancy between what the raw and jpeg look like?

This is all in PS2023.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

I have a problem with this new Adobe denoise thingy.

I noticed when looking at a JPEG that the bottom left hand corner of one shot looks too bright so I opened the denoised raw and it isn't. So I tried saving it again and it was just the same. So, the raw I see in the raw processor is not what the final jpeg looks like. I've seen this mismatch between raw and jpeg once before with Silkipix.

Brushing on -1 stop of exposure compensation fixed the over bright corner but it shouldn't be there in the peg as it isn't in the raw.

Is anyone else seeing any discrepancy between what the raw and jpeg look like?

This is all in PS2023.
Are you saying the exported jpeg looks different to the raw in the PS2023 window? I'm not getting anything like this in lightroom.

Are you saying the exported jpeg looks different to the raw in the PS2023 window? I'm not getting anything like this in lightroom.

Yes. That's it.

When looking at the raw in PS2023 it's ok but when exported as a jpeg the bottom LHS corner is brighter than in the raw. As above, the only time I've seen a mismatch between the raw in the raw processor and the jpeg output was with silkipix.

Yes. That's it.

When looking at the raw in PS2023 it's ok but when exported as a jpeg the bottom LHS corner is brighter than in the raw. As above, the only time I've seen a mismatch between the raw in the raw processor and the jpeg output was with silkipix.
Very odd

Back when I saw a difference in Silkipix I asked them about it and supplied examples but all they said was that I needed to save the jpeg at the highest quality which is what I was doing anyway. I'm also saving this denoised jpeg at the highest setting. I'll see if it looks the same as the raw when saved as a tiff.

Is this too good to be true or have the prices really dropped?

Not to mention the description says it comes with CFe A card and a vertical grip.

Not to mention the description says it comes with CFe A card and a vertical grip.
A lot of low value items in feedback. Scarves and stuff. I'd be wary.

Deffo looks like a scam that.

Never been used but photos have it with a small rig cage. Bought from B&H but has 3 year u.k warranty.

Seems very fishy added that to him having 2 of them for sale and his feedback shows he has never sold a camera before.

Probably a hacked eBay account.

Back