The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Stance, core and upper body work and burst shooting, although to be fair I don't venture much below 1/20th.

This is 1/20 with the 400mm f2.8

i-Tkt764r-XL.jpg

i-zGcGkfw-XL.jpg
Nice

I'm relatively comfortable shooting at 1/20, but below that it starts getting very tricky. I did actually get a few at 1/8 with the 100-400mm but I'm pretty sure I'd not be able to manage that with a 600mm f4 handheld :eek:

Nice

I'm relatively comfortable shooting at 1/20, but below that it starts getting very tricky. I did actually get a few at 1/8 with the 100-400mm but I'm pretty sure I'd not be able to manage that with a 600mm f4 handheld :eek:

Just checked my older galleries and pretty much everything below 1/20th is around 200mm and below with much lighter lenses. Maybe using a monopod is the way to get those images with the bigger lenses

Just checked my older galleries and pretty much everything below 1/20th is around 200mm and below with much lighter lenses. Maybe using a monopod is the way to get those images with the bigger lenses
Yeah, or maybe a tripod with gimbal. I can't get on with monopods though.

I've been fighting with my A7R V for the entire time I've had it to get it to register via PlayMemories for Wifi transfers to save across my network but I simply cannot get it to play ball
Tried switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, tried a factory reset - nothing.
This guide says it should appear as an option but it simply does not.

Any idea what might be causing this? (Updated to V2.0 on the firmware, for what that's worth)
Unless you particularly want to use the Sony app, my suggestion would be to look at using FTP instead.

I have the A7iv and quickly decided FTP was a far better option - since what I wanted was to get the RAW images onto my tablet or PC to process in LR.
There's a bit of technical set up required - you need an FTP server on the target device, but once it set up transfer is quick and easy (and can be set up to run continually, so as you take shots it then automatically uploads to tablet or pc over FTP).
I use my phone as a WiFi hotspot when out and about, with the camera and table both connected to that, at home, I have my home WiFi for the camera to connect to.
Google A7Rv FTP and you will find a bunch of videos walking you through the setup, and the options available.

Yeah, or maybe a tripod with gimbal. I can't get on with monopods though.
I've got a tripod with gimbal, and a monopod, and it's a question of using the right tool for a given task.

Tripod with gimbal requires space to use - both for the tiripod itself, and for you to move round it as your subject moves - it was great when I went to Airbourne and was shooting from the top of Beachy Head, but wouldn't want to use it if there were others around me.
Monopod is great for when you're using a long, heavy lens (I used mine with the Tamron 150-600) and the subject will be moving relatively slowly or stationary - so a visit to Marwell, and getting shots of the animals in the large enclosures, the monopod takes the weight of the lens, but allows enough movement to adjust framing etc on the fly.
Visit to Goodwood FOS - time to just accept the fact that my arms will ache a bit after a while and hand hold for panning :LOL:

Whenever I use heavy lenses - time to just accept the fact that my arms will ache a bit after a while and hand hold for panning :LOL:
FTFY :p

Strangely Goodwood FOS wasn't too bad for me as I used my 70-200mm most of the time for track action and it's 'only' just over 1kg (y)

FTFY :p

Strangely Goodwood FOS wasn't too bad for me as I used my 70-200mm most of the time for track action and it's 'only' just over 1kg (y)
The 70-200 I'm happy to use without a monopod - mine is the A-Mount Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USD, which is just under 1.5kg, but that's reduced a bit with the tripod collar removed.
The 150-600 is almost 2kg, add on the A900 & VG and the bundle is over 3kg, plus the longer lens means the CG is further away from the body.

The 70-200 I'm happy to use without a monopod - mine is the A-Mount Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USD, which is just under 1.5kg, but that's reduced a bit with the tripod collar removed.
The 150-600 is almost 2kg, add on the A900 & VG and the bundle is over 3kg, plus the longer lens means the CG is further away from the body.
Yeah I used to have the 150-600mm on the D850 and it was a heavy combo. Most of my shots at Goodwood FoS were under 200mm though, I never even used my 100-400mm.

Unless you particularly want to use the Sony app, my suggestion would be to look at using FTP instead.

I have the A7iv and quickly decided FTP was a far better option - since what I wanted was to get the RAW images onto my tablet or PC to process in LR.
There's a bit of technical set up required - you need an FTP server on the target device, but once it set up transfer is quick and easy (and can be set up to run continually, so as you take shots it then automatically uploads to tablet or pc over FTP).
I use my phone as a WiFi hotspot when out and about, with the camera and table both connected to that, at home, I have my home WiFi for the camera to connect to.
Google A7Rv FTP and you will find a bunch of videos walking you through the setup, and the options available.
Thank you very much, I'll give it a try
By the way - is it just accepted that WiFi is a general weakness within the Sony stable?

By the way - is it just accepted that WiFi is a general weakness within the Sony stable?
It's not the WiFi per se - it's the task of getting camera and phone to connect in a stable manner.
The Sony app is not fantastic, and it's hindered by some phones which automatically try to connect to the 'best' WiFi they can by testing for connectivity to some site on the internet. So when you use the camera WiFi, the phone will initially connect, then quickly disconnect as it finds no internet, so trys to switch to a different network. The app, meanwhile, still thinks it's connected...
Using FTP reverses things, in that the camera is connecting to a phones WiFi, and this tends to be more stable once set up.

It's not the WiFi per se - it's the task of getting camera and phone to connect in a stable manner.
The Sony app is not fantastic, and it's hindered by some phones which automatically try to connect to the 'best' WiFi they can by testing for connectivity to some site on the internet. So when you use the camera WiFi, the phone will initially connect, then quickly disconnect as it finds no internet, so trys to switch to a different network. The app, meanwhile, still thinks it's connected...
Using FTP reverses things, in that the camera is connecting to a phones WiFi, and this tends to be more stable once set up.
Understood. I am actually trying to get it to connect to the WiFi using the PlayMemories program on Windows though. There is supposed to be a process for doing this so that it's connected to the WiFi access point and can therefore be set up to save directly to a specific drive. However the guidance shows a WiFi setup option which simply does not appear for me.

It sounds like the ftp workaround would do the same thing, however my underlying concern is that, if this doesn't work, do I have a faulty unit (or are there future issues I'm also going to run into)

Not the forums problem, of course. Just thinking out loud

Can't say I can come across a camera brand that does it particularly well tbh.
Actually Samsung was very user friendly from this perspective but they pulled out of the mirrorless cameras.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'd be happy with either the Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZA or Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG DN and that I don't need/want the GM :LOL:

I'm trying to convince myself that I'd be happy with either the Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZA or Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG DN and that I don't need/want the GM :LOL:

Tried convincing myself of something similar (f1.8 primes vs. f1.4 primes) you'll eventually end up buying the GM anyway. So why not save yourself some money and time and go with the GM :p

Tried convincing myself of something similar (f1.8 primes vs. f1.4 primes) you'll eventually end up buying the GM anyway. So why not save yourself some money and time and go with the GM :p
Sometimes I do think the bokeh is nicer/softer on the Zeiss, but then at times it does seem more prone to the 'swirly' bokeh which is not my favourite. It's just the price of the GM which is prohibitive.

Sometimes I do think the bokeh is nicer/softer on the Zeiss, but then at times it does seem more prone to the 'swirly' bokeh which is not my favourite. It's just the price of the GM which is prohibitive.

Buy once ;)

I have got some nice shots with the Zeiss but the GM is nicer I feel.

I'd only buy the Zeiss if someone was selling one at a massive bargain otherwise I think DN is the better lens overall. Even the samyang version 2 might be better.

Or just buy the GM and be done with it :D

Sometimes I do think the bokeh is nicer/softer on the Zeiss, but then at times it does seem more prone to the 'swirly' bokeh which is not my favourite

TBH swirly bokeh looks horrible except as an effect in a tiny number of photos. I'd take the sigma or a Sammy over that.

Yeah I used to have the 150-600mm on the D850 and it was a heavy combo. Most of my shots at Goodwood FoS were under 200mm though, I never even used my 100-400mm.
Before changing to Sony I was using a Nikon D5 with a 300f2.8 with and without a tc. A nice weight reduction with the Sony.

Thanks Alan, absolutely no rush and not a problem if you don’t get round to it. Just interested to see as it might be a nice small match on the A7C

Yep, I know I'll always lust after the GM. Even from Panamoz I just can't justify the price though, it's not a lens I use a lot.

It'll be okay. After a while you tend to forget what you paid for it..... :)

It's the bulk that puts me off. If I could have its performance in a smaller package I'd very likely have bought one by now.

O0oTGVs.jpg

The Sony f1.8's are about as big a lens as I'm happy to use and even then only grudgingly.

Last edited:
It's the bulk that puts me off. If I could have its performance in a smaller package I'd very likely have bought one by now.

O0oTGVs.jpg

The Sony f1.8's are about as big a lens as I'm happy to use and even then only grudgingly.
The Sony 35mm f1.8's the smallest lens I have :LOL: It's a great little lens, I just prefer more 'pop'. I keep reading conflicting info, some reviews say the Zeiss has more pop than the GM, others say the GM has more pop. I'd actually consider the Samyang FE II if it wasn't so big and heavy, not sure why it's like that when they made the 50mm FE II relatively small and light. I appreciate 35mm is a harder design but Sony managed better with the GM in this regard. I still find it odd they didn't put an aperture ring lock on the GM though.

It's just that I'm not comfortable with bigger and possibly more attention attracting kit. That's the main thing rather than bulk and weight as such but they are secondary factors as I like to have a smaller bag (less attention again) and probably with something else in it too. Maybe bulk and weight will be more of a factor as I get older but at the mo the main issue is that I don't like attracting attention.

Actually... I saw two blokes with DSLR's and large lenses yesterday, I think they must have been shooting birds at the coast and on the way back to the car we saw a woman with a DSLR and a largish lens, possibly a standard range zoom. It's unusual to see people with large camera and lens combinations.

PS.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by pop. If it's subject isolation then I'm mostly happy with f2-ish and wider. If it's bokeh balls then longer focal lengths and wide apertures are the answer. If it's colour and contrast other thing come into play.

Last edited:
If anyone is needing v90 cards, these are very reasonably priced today, if you can make do with 128gb cards.

Have some of these myself and have always found them reliable and fast.

There is also an extra £5 discount if you top up £60 gift voucher and use that to purchase, but that is account specefic and may not be available to everyone.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Its the smallest and lightest 35mm f1.4 lens and also the sharpest of the lot. Can't really get better than that.
(with AF that is, I am sure you can get smaller manual voigtlanders but most of them aren't as optically good either)

Its the smallest and lightest 35mm f1.4 lens and also the sharpest of the lot. Can't really get better than that.
(with AF that is, I am sure you can get smaller manual voigtlanders but most of them aren't as optically good either)

I think you're being a bit harsh on the Voigtlanders, IMO. I have the Voigtlander 40mm f1,2 and it's optically good enough for me and the sample images are there to see on the usual review and blog sites (and there are comparisons to GM lenses.) The 35 and 50mm f1.2's weren't out at the time I got the 40mm but to be honest I didn't buy the 40mm f1.2 for the aperture, I'd have bought it if it'd been f2. These are good lenses. I also have the 35mm f1.4 which can have wild bokeh with complex scenes at its widest apertures and it's not at its best a MFD but stopped down a bit it's comparable to the Loxia which people seem to like very much. The 50mm f2 apo is a very good lens by just about any standards but it's f2 and MF and those things will put many off.

I live in east Cleveland which is in parts very working class (or very non working class these days) and even deprived and waving large kit about when there's people about isn't what I want to do as suspicion and aggression can come quickly and then there's the accusations and risk of confrontation as things ramp up. At the coast it's more acceptable to be seen with a camera but more locally much less so and even at the beach I've had a couple of issues / questions & confrontations over the years. Ditto when walking in the hills and I'd guess there's a few here who wouldn't want to take anything expensive up Eston hill with the druggies, around the camp fire larger drinkers and the balaclava off road and quad bike types.

Last edited:
Back