The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And......

On Monday night I managed to get something I've been wanting for a couple of years now.... But I've not had the chance, we've not had the weather, or something else has gotten in the way....

It was a very busy Monday night. Lots of photographers about. And I shot my first real timelapse with the A7Riii, I shot plenty of tracked & stacked still images with the A7 & was also shooting a few film shots.....

Patience :)

August vertical Milky Way at Stonehenge :)

*** by Lee, on Flickr

And......

On Monday night I managed to get something I've been wanting for a couple of years now.... But I've not had the chance, we've not had the weather, or something else has gotten in the way....

It was a very busy Monday night. Lots of photographers about. And I shot my first real timelapse with the A7Riii, I shot plenty of tracked & stacked still images with the A7 & was also shooting a few film shots.....

*** by Lee, on Flickr

That is a very special image, absolutely brilliant

And......

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Lovely.

It deserves to be printed really big and put on the wall!!!

That could be a possibility.

I have 4 frames for the kitchen. Two frames of 3 aperture 7"x5" which was going to be digital Orion in one and film star trails in the other of the same locations.

Two 16"x12" which might now be this and another night sky so the whole end wall will be framed astro images.

That could be a possibility.

I have 4 frames for the kitchen. Two frames of 3 aperture 7"x5" which was going to be digital Orion in one and film star trails in the other of the same locations.

Two 16"x12" which might now be this and another night sky so the whole end wall will be framed astro images.

I reckon it wants to be much bigger than that - I’ve got a 75x50cm print and I think that’s too small, it should be at least a metre high!!!

Anyone using those Peargear CF-A cards and have any feedback on how they perform reliability etc.

And......

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Mega shot, well done Lee.

And......

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Brilliant Lee

After following a post on the Sony Alpha facebook page it's come to my attention that Sony cameras automatically pixel map the sensor when you turn the camera off. Obviously for a one off this is not an issue, but how would you know if it's mapped numerous dodgy pixels and therefore potentially have an issue with the camera? I see that you can turn it off, which obviously would highlight any issues, however the Sony manuals say that if you have it set to manual mapping you should perform pixel mapping on a regular basis.

I've never worried about this as I've never been aware of it before, and I don't think I'll be concerned moving forward as it appears common practice across all brands, I'm just curious if anyone concerns themselves with this and turns off auto mapping to keep an eye on dead/stuck pixels?

After following a post on the Sony Alpha facebook page it's come to my attention that Sony cameras automatically pixel map the sensor when you turn the camera off. Obviously for a one off this is not an issue, but how would you know if it's mapped numerous dodgy pixels and therefore potentially have an issue with the camera? I see that you can turn it off, which obviously would highlight any issues, however the Sony manuals say that if you have it set to manual mapping you should perform pixel mapping on a regular basis.

I've never worried about this as I've never been aware of it before, and I don't think I'll be concerned moving forward as it appears common practice across all brands, I'm just curious if anyone concerns themselves with this and turns off auto mapping to keep an eye on dead/stuck pixels?
You’ve got that Lab Coat back on haven’t you…?

It's not something I've seen discussed since the Olympus 4/3 days where you'd run the process manually and the camera would take a long exposure with the shutter closed then it could map out the pixels that were going hot. I'm assuming newer systems must have a more advanced process if they're running it automatically on a regular basis but I think you'd see if a sensor had a problem as it could start creating black holes if it was mapping out a lot of pixels in a faulty area on the sensor which could be an issue on long exposures but I don't think I saw it occurring when the sensor was having pixels mapped out.

That was your first mistake. :D

Chill go outside take some photos or even better head to the pub it's near 5 bells.

Just bought a Sony 100-400gm however have just seen a 70-200gm V1 for a similar price - just wondering which lens would be better overall?

I have had the 70-200 f4 and will be selling it as it doesn’t seem to have enough reach - however the video review I saw of the 70-200gm utilised the tele-converter - so I am wondering if the 70-200gm would be a better lens overall if I was to invest in the converter at some point?

I know I can always switch to crop mode etc for a longer reach - I have the A7RV - so should still have a pic of 25-30mp to play with

I can only afford one lens or the other, not both and would get the converter at a later date.

The GM2 version is a non starter as I haven’t got that kind of money.

Any advice and suggestions would be great - thanks

Just bought a Sony 100-400gm however have just seen a 70-200gm V1 for a similar price - just wondering which lens would be better overall?

I have had the 70-200 f4 and will be selling it as it doesn’t seem to have enough reach - however the video review I saw of the 70-200gm utilised the tele-converter - so I am wondering if the 70-200gm would be a better lens overall if I was to invest in the converter at some point?

I know I can always switch to crop mode etc for a longer reach - I have the A7RV - so should still have a pic of 25-30mp to play with

I can only afford one lens or the other, not both and would get the converter at a later date.

The GM2 version is a non starter as I haven’t got that kind of money.

Any advice and suggestions would be great - thanks
If you don't have enough reach with the 70-200mm f4 you're not going to have enough reach with the 70-200mm f2.8 GM either. Yes the GM takes TC's but I don't believe the IQ with TC's on the gen 1 is stellar, certainly not with the 2x. Also, TC's are expensive so if you're on limited funds be aware of this.

What sort of things are you wanting to shoot?

@snerkler nothing in particular, just to have a decent zoom if I need one, quite often we will be out and the longest lens I currently have is the 70-200f4 and just isn’t long enough, mainly shoot with a couple of primes and the only other zoom is a 24-70 - going to Iceland in January and I am only going to be able to take 2 lenses realistically so was thinking my 24-70 2.8 then the 100-400 if I have any space/weight I also have a 20 1.8, 50 1.4 and an 85 1.8 - so again any advice would be great.

As to the GM1 my thinking was that it would be better than the f4 - the converter would bring it up to f8 think it is on the 2x but would be up to the 400 reach - then still have the option to use in crop mode etc

@snerkler nothing in particular, just to have a decent zoom if I need one, quite often we will be out and the longest lens I currently have is the 70-200f4 and just isn’t long enough, mainly shoot with a couple of primes and the only other zoom is a 24-70 - going to Iceland in January and I am only going to be able to take 2 lenses realistically so was thinking my 24-70 2.8 then the 100-400 if I have any space/weight I also have a 20 1.8, 50 1.4 and an 85 1.8 - so again any advice would be great.

As to the GM1 my thinking was that it would be better than the f4 - the converter would bring it up to f8 think it is on the 2x but would be up to the 400 reach - then still have the option to use in crop mode etc
Whilst not gospel, this'll give you some indication how bad the 70-200mm Mk1 is with a 2 x TC compared to the 100-400mm

My A6700 arrived - very impressed so far and more than a sum of its parts (opposed to previous Sony cameras which often tended to be less than the spec sheets suggested). A general improvement in ergonomics over my A6400 which I already loved although quite a bit larger. Blown away by the autofocus - used some cameras with good AF (had a Canon R5) and the bird/animal AF seems way better. Early days but don't think there is a much better lightweight wildlife setup than this and the 70-350

Also got it for a great price, I'm in the US now and through a connection got this for just over £1000.

A first quick snap:

NYC Life August 2023-6 by SGoldrick, on Flickr

I'm on the hunt for a cheap wide angle - and was considering the Vario-Tessar 16-35mm f/4. Is it a descent lens? Are there any other zooms that I should consider around the same price point that would cover me for that focal length. I would also consider a 12-24mm full frame lens

I'm on the hunt for a cheap wide angle - and was considering the Vario-Tessar 16-35mm f/4. Is it a descent lens? Are there any other zooms that I should consider around the same price point that would cover me for that focal length. I would also consider a 12-24mm full frame lens
I've always been happy with my 16-35mm F4, it's not as good at 35mm but it's still good enough for me.

This could be very tempting, been asking for a 16-50mm type lens for years

It's interesting that the box in the link says 17-50 but the link itself says 17-40.

A 17-50 would be really useful - I don't need the extra stop for this kind of lens like I need the extra focal length, and this sounds far more useful that the 18-28 which isn't even a 2X zoom. Have to wait & see about price and quality of course.

It's interesting that the box in the link says 17-50 but the link itself says 17-40.

A 17-50 would be really useful - I don't need the extra stop for this kind of lens like I need the extra focal length, and this sounds far more useful that the 18-28 which isn't even a 2X zoom. Have to wait & see about price and quality of course.
Not sure where you’re seeing 17-40mm? But yeah, great focal length. I’ve been going back and forth on the 20-70mm as it’s not as wide as I’d like, and I’d like something with more reach than the 16-35mm. Granted it’s only 15mm extra at the long end but it should be enough most of the time.

Not sure where you’re seeing 17-40mm? But yeah, great focal length. I’ve been going back and forth on the 20-70mm as it’s not as wide as I’d like, and I’d like something with more reach than the 16-35mm. Granted it’s only 15mm extra at the long end but it should be enough most of the time.

Hover over the link.

Last edited:
Back