The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Interesting, I'll have to decide between this one and rebuying the 16-35mm PZ

This lens would cover just about 99% of what I'd need, the only thing missing being a wider than f4 aperture. It could cover just about everything for me... but it's a zoom :D

Good luck deciding :D

I'm very interested in this lens, would be a perfect walkabout and is more appealing than the 20-70mm. I do find it odd that you see a number of lenses starting at 17mm rather than 16mm, but it's better than starting at 18mm I guess ;)

Price and performance will be the deciding factor. I don't think I'll be buying it at release though, I'll wait for the price to come down.

Apart from sell all my Pentax gear and put my Canon R7 up for sale (and probably my EF lenses) I haven't done much with my cameras lately.

Couple more from Longleat, A9 and 100-400mm GM

DSC05443_DxO by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

DSC05556_DxO by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

One with the a9., 200-600mm and 1.4x ... this combo still amazes me.

Windsurfer by Mike Pursey, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’ve don’t a few 100,000 shots this year but about 200 of those are personal work , need to address this!

I haven’t shot anything for myself since the first lockdown.

Last edited:
Nice shots. I haven’t touched my camera in about 3 weeks or so either :(
I've been having a go at underwater shooting for a change this week with an action camera which has been fun, I have been tempted to take the A9 while wading in a bit to get shots of the dog accelerating into the water but way too risky for the camera.

This thread seems the quietist in its history.

Oh well. I guess everyone is too busy out taking pictures :D

I took three pictures today with my trusty A7 and Syoptic 50mm f1.1 (such a nice lens) but not at f1.1 though :D

Just the walk to the shops.

DSC03255.jpg

Lovely flowers. I'd have taken more pictures but we were in a hurry on the way there and carrying shopping on the way back.

DSC03257.jpg

These are just simple ordinary pictures but I do like them both.

Last edited:
Every cloud silver linings and all that. Decision will ultimately be wether to go for the a7iv or wait for a7cii. I don’t think my hard drive will cope with 61mb images from a Riv
From the info I've seen on the A7Cii, you lose more than you gain over an A7iv - but it does depend on your priorities.

A7iv Pro's;
Shutter: A7iv has the option of full mechanical, and can do 1/8000 in full mechanical, EFCS or silent while the A7Cii is limited to 1/4000 in EFCS or 1/8000 in silent.
Flash Sync - A7iv 1/250, A7Cii 1/160
Buffer - much larger on A7iv (EG Uncompressed RAW is over 1000 on A7iv, or just 18 on the A7Cii)
Cards - A7iv Dual Slots (slot 1 CF Express A or SD), A7Cii - single SD
EVF - A7iv 3.6Mp, 0.78x, A7Cii 2.3Mp, 0.7x
Buttons - A7iv has Exposure Comp dial, AF scroll button and 2 extra custom buttons, A7Cii has an additional inset rear dial
Mount - A7iv has 6 retaining screws, A7Cii 4 retaining screws.

A7Cii Pro's
A bit Smaller, lighter, & cheaper
AF Subject Detection - Humans, Animals, Birds, A7Cii adds Insects, Cars/Trains, Aircraft
Video - A7Cii allows import of user LUT and has AI Auto framing
Touchscreen - A7Cii allows swipe ?

From the info I've seen on the A7Cii, you lose more than you gain over an A7iv - but it does depend on your priorities.

A7iv Pro's;
Shutter: A7iv has the option of full mechanical, and can do 1/8000 in full mechanical, EFCS or silent while the A7Cii is limited to 1/4000 in EFCS or 1/8000 in silent.

I wish Sony would increase the max shutter speed as with wide aperture lenses it is possible to need faster at ISO 100 even in the half light that passes for daylight in northern England. Higher than 1/8,000 would be nice even with a base of 100 but a work around could be to include the lower than 100 ISO's in auto ISO. At the mo when using a f1.x lens and faced with flashing things in the VF I have to manually select a lower ISO and that takes time and I need to remember to reset it later.

My MFT cameras go higher and thankfully so as their base ISO is 200.

Every cloud silver linings and all that. Decision will ultimately be wether to go for the a7iv or wait for a7cii. I don’t think my hard drive will cope with 61mb images from a Riv
I’d personally go for the A7IV but everyone’s different (y)

I wish Sony would increase the max shutter speed as with wide aperture lenses it is possible to need faster at ISO 100 even in the half light that passes for daylight in northern England. Higher than 1/8,000 would be nice even with a base of 100 but a work around could be to include the lower than 100 ISO's in auto ISO. At the mo when using a f1.x lens and faced with flashing things in the VF I have to manually select a lower ISO and that takes time and I need to remember to reset it later.

My MFT cameras go higher and thankfully so as their base ISO is 200.
I’ve got some shots at 1/20000, not found any that’s maxed It out at 1/32000 but I may have done ;)

Of your two cameras I would go for the 7iv. It's a very capable camera.

I’ve got some shots at 1/20000, not found any that’s maxed It out at 1/32000 but I may have done ;)
I managed to hit 1/32000 on a super bright day but even at F1.8 I think I had to bump the iso quite a bit, admittedly super bright on a Scottish day perhaps doesn't mean much.

I managed to hit 1/32000 on a super bright day but even at F1.8 I think I had to bump the iso quite a bit, admittedly super bright on a Scottish day perhaps doesn't mean much.
1/20000 for me was f1.2, ISO 100 (y)

Does a Sony A7x camera go to 1/32,000?

I'd never really struggled with my f1.4 and even f1.2 lenses but when I got my first Syoptic 50mm f1.1 (I'm on my 2nd) not only was the shutter speed flashing but the shots were visibly over exposed so that extra bit beyond f1.2 does seem to make a difference.

Does a Sony A7x camera go to 1/32,000?

I'd never really struggled with my f1.4 and even f1.2 lenses but when I got my first Syoptic 50mm f1.1 (I'm on my 2nd) not only was the shutter speed flashing but the shots were visibly over exposed so that extra bit beyond f1.2 does seem to make a difference.
I think it's only the A9 and A1 that have that.
I've only once faced a situation in the UK where 1/8000 wasn't fast enough, and that was with my 85 f/1.4 on my A900 - which has a base ISO of 200.
So faster than that is in the 'nice to have' category, rather than 'need'.
I've certainly had cased where I've used shutter speeds above 1/4000 though.

I think it's only the A9 and A1 that have that.
I've only once faced a situation in the UK where 1/8000 wasn't fast enough, and that was with my 85 f/1.4 on my A900 - which has a base ISO of 200.
So faster than that is in the 'nice to have' category, rather than 'need'.
I've certainly had cased where I've used shutter speeds above 1/4000 though.

As I only take pictures of static stuff I suppose taking the time to switch to ISO 64 when using f1.x isn't too much of a big deal but I keep forgetting what I've done and not spotting that my next pictures is a 1/60 and slightly blurred.

Until I have a Sony with some way around this (faster shutter speed or including lower ISO's in auto ISO) I'll have to try and remember what ISO I've set and keep an eye on the SS.

A7iv Pro's;
Flash Sync - A7iv 1/250, A7Cii 1/160
Buffer - much larger on A7iv (EG Uncompressed RAW is over 1000 on A7iv, or just 18 on the A7Cii)
Cards - A7iv Dual Slots (slot 1 CF Express A or SD), A7Cii - single SD
EVF - A7iv 3.6Mp, 0.78x, A7Cii 2.3Mp, 0.7x
Buttons - A7iv has Exposure Comp dial, AF scroll button and 2 extra custom buttons, A7Cii has an additional inset rear dial
Mount - A7iv has 6 retaining screws, A7Cii 4 retaining screws.

A7Cii Pro's
A bit Smaller, lighter, & cheaper
AF Subject Detection - Humans, Animals, Birds, A7Cii adds Insects, Cars/Trains, Aircraft
Video - A7Cii allows import of user LUT and has AI Auto framing
Touchscreen - A7Cii allows swipe ?
Thanks, helpful and saves me trawling through the internet to find the differences, a7iv is looking more suitable, I’ve just picked up a cheap a6500 which will do for street/ general photography

Thanks, helpful and saves me trawling through the internet to find the differences, a7iv is looking more suitable, I’ve just picked up a cheap a6500 which will do for street/ general photography
I've got the A7iv as a big upgrade from my old A900 (the A7iv was the first of the A7x series that fully supported A-Mount lenses with the LA-EA5), and it's an incredible piece of kit.
Just wish I had more free time to go out and take photos :)

New Viltrox 20mm f2.8 lens coming...

I fancy a 28mm to go with my cheap Chinese lens collection but so far there only seems to be the 7Artisan 28mm f1.4 in M mount or in M mount but optimised for Sony and that lens seems to be as rare as hens teeth anyway. I'm hoping that someone brings one out in Sony mount.

I do have 4 (maybe) film era 28mm f2.8's but of course they end up twice the size once an adapter is fitted.

Back