The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The new Tamron 17-50 F4 lens - distortion is quite significant at 17mm.
I'm debating getting this, or a Viltrox 16mm F1.8, along side my 35mm F2.8 Prime

53241251920_618e368826_c.jpg

Source : Dustin Abbott Review

Last edited:
I'm debating getting this, or a Viltrox 16mm F1.8, along side my 35mm F2.8 Prime

I am sold on the viltrox, seems to get amazing reviews. Just waiting to find one on used market or on offer.
But I already have 20-70mm and now have the new 70-200mm f4 on order. So I think viltrox fits better for me versus the tamron.

Massive saving on the 50mm f1.2 GM here :eek: Someone can grab themselves a bargain

IMG_6631.jpeg

Last edited:

You’re seeing this on a lot of lenses these days, heavily relying on corrections. As long as it’s a true 17mm after corrections it doesn’t worry me.

I honestly don’t think some people have a conscience, on the Sony Facebook group a “pro” who shoots weddings has asked what ISO and shutter speed settings he should be using. I honestly feel so sorry for people that book “professionals” that don’t know what they’re doing :(

Reactions: dkh
I honestly don’t think some people have a conscience, on the Sony Facebook group a “pro” who shoots weddings has asked what ISO and shutter speed settings he should be using. I honestly feel so sorry for people that book “professionals” that don’t know what they’re doing :(

My wife's goddaughter got married a while back and half the photos had her and the groom posing in a park. No one but me seemed to notice the telephone pole sticking out of their heads half the time.

Clifton cameras have the new 70-200mm f4 ii for £1388.

I'm super tempted. I know some people have bought from clifton cameras before. good service?

Also tempted although waiting to see what the Sigma can do.

I honestly don’t think some people have a conscience, on the Sony Facebook group a “pro” who shoots weddings has asked what ISO and shutter speed settings he should be using.

I hope in that case he leaves it up to the camera, because at least that can make a decent choice. :p

Massive saving on the 50mm f1.2 GM here

I'd really like to buy Anand's, but find it hard to justify £1300 on a single lens.

I hope in that case he leaves it up to the camera, because at least that can make a decent choice. :p

I'd really like to buy Anand's, but find it hard to justify £1300 on a single lens.
Toni. 50GM. Mate, easy for me to say as I’ve got one. Get it. Honestly you’ll never regret it once you’ve used it and looked at the results. I expect you know this already. Yep it’s a load of cash…etc..

Didn’t realise he’d got one for sale, £1300 is a lot of money but I genuinely believe it’s worth it. Of course, we all have our own judgement of value and worth (y)

Last edited:

That is quite something.

Years back I had a Canon 20-35mm USM which possibly looked like that. These days with profiles it might clean up ok so this might not be a killer issue.

Last edited:
Massive saving on the 50mm f1.2 GM here :eek: Someone can grab themselves a bargain

View attachment 403294

There is a used one for £1349, UK stock. 5 stars, so it's boxed.

Toni. 50GM. Mate, easy for me to say as I’ve got one. Get it. Honestly you’ll never regret it once you’ve used it and looked at the results. I expect you know this already. Yep it’s a load of cash…etc..

Didn’t realise he’d got one for sale, £1300 is a lot of money but I genuinely believe it’s worth it. Of course, we all have our own judgement of value and worth (y)

My most expensive lens was the Voigtlander 40/1.2E at about £670ish with cashback at the time.

Then I bought the 35GM a couple of years later (and a couple of years ago now) for about £1300 - I thought exactly the same, crazy amount of money, for a hobby, just for fun! But I don't regret it a single bit :)

It's a great lens. Feel free to make an offer :)
There is a used one for £1349, UK stock. 5 stars, so it's boxed.

That's a really nice deal (y)
I saw this and priced mine little less. Mine was originally sourced from LCE too by previous owner.

The sigma lens is f2.8 and weights 1330g. Can't use TCs with it either thanks to Sony purposely crippling 3rd parties.

Plus the macro feature of the Sony is really useful for me.

True enough, the "macro" feature is what interests me most. Just sold a couple of Canon lenses on eBay so I may take the plunge.

Still have my Canon 2.8 and adapter if I need faster I suppose.

The sigma lens is f2.8 and weights 1330g. Can't use TCs with it either thanks to Sony purposely crippling 3rd parties.

Plus the macro feature of the Sony is really useful for me.
Disappointing it's that heavy considering Sony have managed to make one at just over 1kg, but clearly there'll be a huge price difference.

True enough, the "macro" feature is what interests me most. Just sold a couple of Canon lenses on eBay so I may take the plunge.

Still have my Canon 2.8 and adapter if I need faster I suppose.
As I commented a few pages back, I prefer to use zooms for versatility where they excel and primes for speed where they excel. Trying combine the two just results in large lenses which doesn't give me the results I want.

Having said that my longest prime is 85mm f1.4. I don't even feel the need for 135mm prime. 100mm is as long as I normally want and I'm happy cropping in a little with the 85mm. Would have been nice to have 85mm f1.2.
So if you need a fast 200mm a 70-200mm f2.8 is really the only option these days :-/
But even then I'd prefer the new tamron 70-180mm G2 for size reasons.

Usually the 70-200 f4 lenses never interested me. They were either large, small and not long enough or simply didn't fit with my other lenses.

Now for me 20-70mm f4 + 70-200mm f4 gives my incredible versatility. I no longer need carry an UWA lens or a macro lens. I carry one fast prime and that's it.
I need to carry a 1.4x TC for more reach and magnification but that's still a lot smaller than a dedicated long macro and UWA lens.

So these two lenses give me incredibly versatility.

Disappointing it's that heavy considering Sony have managed to make one at just over 1kg, but clearly there'll be a huge price difference.
For me without TC support 70-200mm is not interesting. I wish Sony didn't cripple 3rd parties like this. Tamron 70-180mm would have been an interesting option otherwise. You'd get a 70-180mm f2.8 and a 100-250mm f4 which is really nice!

In all honesty you don't have to be technically proficient to be a successful wedding photographer, You don't have to even have a basic grasp of how a camera works to be a successful wedding photographer especially these days, There is a wedding photographer in Belfast who it is very obvious hasn't got a clue at all what they are doing. Their photography is an absolute horror show. They still get lots of work because they are able to jump quickly on latest trends. The vast majority of photos they provide are out of focus but that is okay as that is a trend. Their edits are :wideyed: but that is also okay as they look fine at small sizes on Instagram.

Anyone who is good at marketing can be a successful wedding photographer even if they have never picked up a camera before and shoot everything in auto. Most don't even edit their own images they use Ai software like Imagen and Aftershoot. You can now pay an upgrade on Ai editing software to make it edit your photos in the style of other well known wedding photographers. For example you can have it edit your images like Fer Juaristi, Yervant, Susan Stripling or Kevin Mullins just to name a few.

99% of clients don't know what is good and what is bad.

Being successful and being good are two very different things of course. It actually doesn't pay to be good, you will make a lot more money aiming to be succesful rather than good.

The guys that combine all of that as well as knowing what they are doing will of course remain at the top of the game, but to be in the £1500-£2000 a wedding bracket you don't need any photography knowledge at all.

I am sold on the viltrox, seems to get amazing reviews. Just waiting to find one on used market or on offer.
But I already have 20-70mm and now have the new 70-200mm f4 on order. So I think viltrox fits better for me versus the tamron.
So I did some research and thinking about use cases last night and decided on the Viltrox 16mm.
This morning I found a used one on Park Cameras , in as new condition for £420, got myself a drink before I ordered and it had sold already :(

Found a new one for £450 on AVMPhoto - Authorised Partners Of Viltrox :) [https://www.avmphoto.com/]

Should be great for our Mexico holiday at the end of the month

Last edited:
So I did some research and thinking about use cases last night and decided on the Viltrox 16mm.
This morning I found a used one on Park Cameras , in as new condition for £420, got myself a drink before I ordered and it had sold already :(

Found a new one for £450 on AVMPhoto - Authorised Partners Of Viltrox :) [https://www.avmphoto.com/]

Should be great for our Mexico holiday at the end of the month
the one at Park cameras was on the website since Friday. There was one ebay for £400 on Wednesday.
In both cases I'd rather buy a new one for £450.
Needs to be around £350-375 for it to be worth buying used for me.

Sony chums - I currently have an A7Rii and am toying with the idea of a Tamron 50-400 to stick on it for wildlife shooting... but - do you think I would get much benefit from a newer crop body (eg A6600) or just run it on the A7Rii on crop mode? I need a wide angle also for landscape work (to replace my wonky 16-35 :() so I want to make up my mind whether I'm going back to APSC first...

Any thoughts welcome, TIA :)

So my new wide angle Viltrox 16mm F1.8 lens arrived
First impressions - it's v.nice! A full metal construction, with an aperture ring, two custom buttons, a digital info screen all for £450 brand new.

53248426665_74923da7a4_c.jpg

53247052902_4e32a468db_c.jpg

A couple of photos

F5.6

53247052937_deaf7af44e_b.jpg

F1.8

53248426675_b19d21d1bf_b.jpg

F4

53248317378_f0517d1095_b.jpg

Last edited:
Amazon offers are pretty boring these days a couple of quid of memory cards etc.

They seem to always have the Sony 35.85 and adobe offers

Amazon offers are pretty boring these days a couple of quid of memory cards etc.

They seem to always have the Sony 35.85 and adobe offers
Yep seems to be the same cycle of discounts they always have. I was hoping the 40mm Sony would be reduced again as I fancy trying one on the A7C but they didn't reduce that.

At least we get to top up our LR/PS subs at a better price.

I believe that's minimum speed though and technically can do up to 800mb/s maximum vs sony equivalents being up to 700mb/s maximum.

Guaranteed minimum speed, bagged two at 0630 this morning. Don't have a camera though LOL.
Yep it seems you are correct. To be fair, £120 for a £260GB card is still great value even if you 'only' get 400mb/s.

If you were coming over to Sony with say an A7 111. Is the 24-70 f4 a good starting point or is it worth stretching to the 24-105 f4 ?

Asking for s friend !!!!!

If you were coming over to Sony with say an A7 111. Is the 24-70 f4 a good starting point or is it worth stretching to the 24-105 f4 ?

The 24-105mm is better, but it's bigger and heavier. The 20-70mm f4 is a great option if funds allow.

I did this with the 24-105. As long as you don't mind the size and weight then I believe this lens to be better in every way than the shorter zoom. If lower weight is important then you should probably look at Tamron.

Back