The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Question for grip users on A7 bodies:

Does it make the camera feel any more like Canon 5D where all your fingers fit on the grip or is it still not there? I tried handling bare one in a shop and that felt completely unacceptable. I wonder if grip fixes the situation.
By grip do you mean a battery grip with secondary controls for portrait shooting, or just the grip extenders from Wepoto/Smallrig etc?

if it's the latter, I can confirm it makes a big difference when I use my A7Riv with the 24-70GM and Sigma 85 1.4.

I think I'm going to treat myself to a Voigtlander 40mm 1.2. I'm currently deciding between the 'standard' and the SE. The inability to de-click the aperture ring doesn't bother me and there's a large weight saving to be had. Are there any downsides to the SE?

@LeeRatters you seem to tend more towards your 35mm GM these days. Would you still buy the Voigtlander? I have a Sigma 35 f2 which I love, but fancy something a little more special with a smidge tighter focal length.

I've had one of these since they first came out. I think it's a good lens and I hope you enjoy it.

I think they've been discontinued so I hope you are able to find one.

Thanks Alan. I've found a place with an SE in stock. As you say, they're pretty rare to find new so I'll pounce tonight.

By grip do you mean a battery grip with secondary controls for portrait shooting, or just the grip extenders from Wepoto/Smallrig etc?

if it's the latter, I can confirm it makes a big difference when I use my A7Riv with the 24-70GM and Sigma 85 1.4.
I'd like it as big as possible, so presumably the full grip.

Is your 85mm DN or DG one? How do you find it wide open? Thanks.

It was the DG DN. I say “was” as I sold it this week. It’s incredibly sharp from wide open and I’ve taken some of my favourite ever pictures with it. That said, I’d not used it for months. If I had the time to shoot portraits it would have been welded to my camera. I’m feeling a little sad about selling it now!

Sigma 85DN is the best 85mm lenses (overall) I have used.
by overall I mean price, size, sharpness, rendering, AF i.e. as an overall package.

Best light & cheap option is the samyang 85mm f1.4 ii

Best option optically is the RF 85mm f1.2 IME. AF isn't that smooth though.

I haven't used or know much about the new nikon Z 85mm f1.2. I might be on the same level as RF optically.

Still waiting for the sony 85mm f1.2 GM :(

Sigma 85DN is the best 85mm lenses (overall) I have used.
by overall I mean price, size, sharpness, rendering, AF i.e. as an overall package.

Best light & cheap option is the samyang 85mm f1.4 ii

Best option optically is the RF 85mm f1.2 IME. AF isn't that smooth though.

I haven't used or know much about the new nikon Z 85mm f1.2. I might be on the same level as RF optically.

Still waiting for the sony 85mm f1.2 GM :(
I currently have EF 85mm DG version. That is like getting pretty good at f/2 and amazing at 2.8 but 1.4 is what you would best describe as well suited to monster clients :D and a healthy amount of purple fringe sprinkled on top. OK, that doesn't make it terrible, but next to the 135mm ART it feels quite a bit inferior. I appreciate that may be one of the very best DSLR lenses ever made.

Leica 50mm f0.95 review... Mostly on a Leica but the performance on a Sony looks ok to me with good performance across the frame from f5.6.

Overall though looking at the wide aperture performance I'd take the Syoptic 50mm f1.1 every time over this. Ok it's f1.1 not f0.95 but the performance of this lens doesn't look great wide open in shots with more complex backgrounds. There's also the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2, again not f0.95 but maybe a better bet.

I currently have EF 85mm DG version. That is like getting pretty good at f/2 and amazing at 2.8 but 1.4 is what you would best describe as well suited to monster clients :D and a healthy amount of purple fringe sprinkled on top. OK, that doesn't make it terrible, but next to the 135mm ART it feels quite a bit inferior. I appreciate that may be one of the very best DSLR lenses ever made.
Lens design has come a long way since the original sigma art series. Mirror versions are better and smaller.
135art was one of the last DSLR lens made by them along with the 40mm f1.4. They are really optically spectacular.
At the same time you can get the samyang 135mm f1.8 you get very close performance for lot less money and weight

At the end of day it all depends on your priorities. For me I look at the overall package. No one is going to notice the minor differences even on a high MP bodies. If you want optically perfect lens then there are options for those too on Sony.

I don't think you'll be happy with a7riv body if you prefer larger bodies. You can add vertical grip that'll give really amazing battery life in comparison to other mirrorless brands. But vertical grip isn't at nice as they used to be on DSLRs, especially having used VG on Sony A99, A77ii, they were really nice. Even a person like me that prefers smaller bodies really liked them.
On A7 series they perform the intended job adequately but that's it.

I think in general across brands VG is a lost opportunity. They can use them to add more functionality like extra card slots for smaller bodies or extra ports etc. But they just make the bodies bigger and add more juice. Of course there is the shooting vertical orientation too.... In the past I remember they used to be able to up the frame rates for example but over time they gotten less functional imo.

Last edited:
Ok. So after selling up the Olympus gear and buying an A7 mk3, that will leave me with a lens budget of about £800.
On my Olympus, the 12-45 rarely came off the camera.
I know I will probably loose a 70-300 type zoom for now, but not to worried

1/ should I immediately discount the 28-70 kits lens ? I have found an unused one for about £100

2/ Depending on the answer to Q1, what would your 1st choices be for a general walk about lens + maybe 1 prime.

Ok. So after selling up the Olympus gear and buying an A7 mk3, that will leave me with a lens budget of about £800.

1/ should I immediately discount the 28-70 kits lens ? I have found an unused one for about £100

2/ Depending on the answer to Q1, what would your 1st choices be for a general walk about lens + maybe 1 prime.

Get the Sigma 24-70 DG DN.

Optically the new 28-60mm is a lot better. In fact the 28-60 actually rather sharp across the frame, it's just a slow lens with limited range. But it's also very small.

Depending on if you need f2.8 and 24mm or not I'd suggest one these:
Sony 24-105 f4
Sony 20-70 f4
Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 DN

For 1 prime depends on the focal length you like.

For 70-300mm option, the one from tamron is really good. I have one is sales since I recently replaced with Sony 70-200mm f4. You don't have to buy mine but it his way above is weight and price :)

Yes, you should discount the original kit lens. Unless you shoot everything at f/11 on a tripod :)

Personally I would go for the f/2.8 of the Tamron 28-75mm. But I don't shoot super wide. And I shoot primes anyway..... :ROFLMAO:

But that's my feelings about it :)

Lens design has come a long way since the original sigma art series. Mirror versions are better and smaller.
135art was one of the last DSLR lens made by them along with the 40mm f1.4. They are really optically spectacular.
At the same time you can get the samyang 135mm f1.8 you get very close performance for lot less money and weight

At the end of day it all depends on your priorities. For me I look at the overall package. No one is going to notice the minor differences even on a high MP bodies. If you want optically perfect lens then there are options for those too on Sony.

I don't think you'll be happy with a7riv body if you prefer larger bodies. You can add vertical grip that'll give really amazing battery life in comparison to other mirrorless brands. But vertical grip isn't at nice as they used to be on DSLRs, especially having used VG on Sony A99, A77ii, they were really nice. Even a person like me that prefers smaller bodies really liked them.
On A7 series they perform the intended job adequately but that's it.

I think in general across brands VG is a lost opportunity. They can use them to add more functionality like extra card slots for smaller bodies or extra ports etc. But they just make the bodies bigger and add more juice. Of course there is the shooting vertical orientation too.... In the past I remember they used to be able to up the frame rates for example but over time they gotten less functional imo.
I'm definitely keeping the 135ART for the long haul. It looks like it can be good for 100MP+ and that's near enough wide open with the only benefit of slightly brighter corners at f/2.8.
40mm sounds lovely. I got unlucky with my brand new copy so that was that. I found a lovely Tamron 35mm f/1.4 and that's again insanely good.

I am mainly looking at A7RIV as a budget upgrade option, probably a temporary solution since 5Ds just needs far too much babysitting if you want the most out of it, and it is not even the 'R' variant. R5 is nearly double the money with considerably notably resolution when you factor in the AA filter. When mk II comes out and settles in the market it may be time to re-evaluate the finances, but really I want them to fully open up the RF mount before committing that sort of money to it. The biggest draw of sony are these lovely new Sigma DN lenses. There are some nice GM II glass too but for the price it is a challenging proposition to justify 1 lens for the price of nearly equal 3 or 4...

Sony 24-105 f4
Sony 20-70 f4
Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 DN

I think the Tamron G2 sounds like a good option. E-Infinity have it a a very good price, I could be tempted to go grey on the lens.
They also do the camera for only £100 more than a refurbished from a major uk retailer.
Will be sending the Olympus off to WEX tomorrow, will see what is around once I have all the funds together

Optically the new 28-60mm is a lot better. In fact the 28-60 actually rather sharp across the frame, it's just a slow lens with limited range. But it's also very small.

Sony 24-105 f4
Sony 20-70 f4
Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 DN

For 1 prime depends on the focal length you like.

For 70-300mm option, the one from tamron is really good. I have one is sales since I recently replaced with Sony 70-200mm f4. You don't have to buy mine but it his way above is weight and price :)
I spent like ages on the-digital-picture looking at crops, looking at my now ex 24-70mm f/2.8 II Canon lens, which I chose not to replace ATM, and pretty much made the conclusion that any midrange zoom is pretty much a losing proposition for anything over 6K resolution. Steve sold off his Nikon E one for the same reason. It really looks like even cheaper primes completely out-resolve them in most cases. Certainly that was the case with the little basic Canon 50mm STM. The ART ones just walk circles around every single zoom lens.
Maybe Sony 20-70mm is the best one of the lot at ~ f/8.
For event work where you may want f/2.8 convenience zoom / backup lens you may consider Sigma as that checks out better than the Canon mk II I now gave up on. But I fear it still has too many compromises, like some old crazy field curvature that plagues all Canons, etc? Maybe one for A9 II, and that's that. That Tamron looks like the reverse of Sigma, i.e. better where Sigma feels lacking and quite a bit worse where sigma feels strong (longer end). Obviously these are close distance shots, not infinity so it may not always translate reliably.
Money no object maybe Sony 24-70 GM II or Nikon Z ones need checking out but do they really cover 45MP, let alone 60MP++ corner to corner? Then we have mega expensive Leica 24-90mm with no decent high res body to match yet...

I have the original kit lens and also the 28-60mm one.

It may be that I have lower standards than some but I'd say that both are good variable aperture zoom lenses and if you are happy with the variable aperture range they have I think either are perfectly valid choices especially for days out or holidays and if you have "better" lenses for the time you want "better" pictures. I need to pixel peep to begin to complain about these lenses and I think they are valid choices for whole picture viewing and indeed for quite close viewing but not for when you want ultimate performance across the frame and into the corners.

I think I'd go against consensus and say that of the two I prefer the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 to the newer collapsible lens. IMO the big USP of the collapsible lens is it's collapsibility.

A couple of low expectation but good enough for a day out pictures for me pictures taken on different days in different lighting.

DSC01643.jpg

DSC02095.jpg

I always liked this one, just a daft shot but I like it :D

DSC01672.jpg

Oh, 1st and last are 28-70mm and the middle one is 28-60mm.

PS.
Prime...
I like 35mm and I like compact kit so the Sony 35mm f2.8 is a favourite of mine but I also have the Sony 35mm f1.8 which has a useful closer focus ability. I also use manual lenses quite a bit and on my A7 at the moment is the Pergear 35mm f1.4.

A picture at f1.4.

DSC02685.jpg

Last edited:

The latest is 85mm f1.4 DG DN not either or, but it’s a great lens, sharp wide open with lonely bokeh.

17-50mm f4’s a good option.

There is a Sony 400mm f2.8 for £8.5k at LCE
They don't show up often in used market. Still out of my price range. Z8+400mm/4.5 is £7K but with bit of waiting that could probably be down to £6K.
Of course you have 1.33 more stops of light with sony....

So its 1.33 stops vs. £2-2.5K + 2Kg extra weight+one less body. I think I am still leaning towards the latter.

Also just sold my 50/1.2GM. Super sad to see it go, its the best prime lens overall I have had so far.
I really wish Sony will make a 85mm f1.2 with similar design concepts - sharp, relatively small & light, fast AF and 72mm filter thread.

Subject to a quick evaluation, I'm going to be moving on the Sammy 50 f1.4, Sony Zeiss 55 f1.8 and possibly the Sammy 85 f1.4 too. The Sammy 50 is my most used lens these days, and I hope this will render at least as nicely with better AF and build.

Leica 50mm f0.95 review... Mostly on a Leica but the performance on a Sony looks ok to me with good performance across the frame from f5.6.

Overall though looking at the wide aperture performance I'd take the Syoptic 50mm f1.1 every time over this. Ok it's f1.1 not f0.95 but the performance of this lens doesn't look great wide open in shots with more complex backgrounds. There's also the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2, again not f0.95 but maybe a better bet.
I’ll get hold of one of the adapters and try my lens on my A1. The Noctilux is one of my favourite lenses

Subject to a quick evaluation, I'm going to be moving on the Sammy 50 f1.4, Sony Zeiss 55 f1.8 and possibly the Sammy 85 f1.4 too. The Sammy 50 is my most used lens these days, and I hope this will render at least as nicely with better AF and build.
What are you hoping renders as nicely as the Sammy?

The GM 50 f1.2 I've just bought from @nandbytes. This is my 'low cost' alternative to going medium format.
I still think that the Sammys have a unique rendering that nobody else has, however the f1.2 GM renders beautifully and I don't regret changing. It's obviously sharper and has better AF too.

I got the A7 in march 2014.
Since then I've had A6000, A7Rii, A7riii, A7riv, A7C, A1 and A7IV.
Thats 8 bodies in 9 years.

In comparison my first smart phone was in 2011. In last 12 years I've had 5 phones but one of those changes was because a phone got damaged. So really only 4 phone changes.

I need to stop changing cameras I think :facepalm:

In comparison my first smart phone was in 2011. In last 12 years I've had 5 phones but one of those changes was because a phone got damaged. So really only 4 phone changes.

I think it's really difficult with cameras because they all have strengths and weaknesses plus you don't really know what's going to work for you until you actually try it. I've tried to limit my buying more recently as I've previously bought cameras and lenses for a number of different systems, I've been agonising over the Z8 for months now trying to decide if it's worth the money for my use or not. I feel I need to bite the bullet and if it doesn't do what I'm wanting.

Last edited:
I ordered my A7 on 8/11/2013. I can't remember when I got it but I do have pictures taken on 4th December 2013.

A pan I did at Whitby with the A7 and Syoptic 50mm f1.1. It was meant to be much wider but the lighting changed quite a bit whilst I was still taking pictures and I just couldn't get it to look right.

Whitby Pan 1.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's really difficult with cameras because they all have strengths and weaknesses plus you don't really know what's going to work for you until you actually try it. I've tried to limit my buying more recently as I've previously bought cameras and lenses for a number of different systems, I've been agonising over the Z8 for months now trying to decide if it's worth the money for my use or not. I feel I need to bite the bullet and if it doesn't do what I'm wanting.

I think there is a Z8 in my future :ROFLMAO:
unless something drastically changes on Sony front and they release tele primes to rival Nikon.

My missus really liked the A7C and it was my second body. I had to sell to make up the difference for the A1 and I got her a smaller G5Xii.
In the end A7CR is something we both would be happy using. That will be our "main" body and I'll buy a Nikon just for wildlife. that's the current thinking....

but I have promised this will be the last cameras change for a while. Remortgaging is coming up next year and with high interest rates I really need focus on the mortgage repayments.

I think there is a Z8 in my future :ROFLMAO:
unless something drastically changes on Sony front and they release tele primes to rival Nikon.

My missus really liked the A7C and it was my second body. I had to sell to make up the difference for the A1 and I got her a smaller G5Xii.
In the end A7CR is something we both would be happy using. That will be our "main" body and I'll buy a Nikon just for wildlife. that's the current thinking....

but I have promised this will be the last cameras change for a while. Remortgaging is coming up next year and with high interest rates I really need focus on the mortgage repayments.
The A7C is one I've had my eye on for a while as a possible replacement for the RX1R, while it's nowhere near as small I think it's potentially small enough I could easily carry it alongside the A9 and 100-400mm. Or to carry on its own and keep the RX1R for cycling where it barely fits into the backpack, while its IQ is still decent its feature set is quite dated now.

I think I trump that by quite a margin o_O :exit:

I bought my first DSLR in late 2013 - a Sony A58. Since then I've had a D610 and now the A7 III coming up to 4.5 years. Apparently I don't buy a lot of cameras. ;)

I had been thinking about an A7IV because of the flippy screen, better AF and higher res, but that's going to wait now. :p

I bought my first DSLR in late 2013 - a Sony A58. Since then I've had a D610 and now the A7 III coming up to 4.5 years. Apparently I don't buy a lot of cameras. ;)

I had been thinking about an A7IV because of the flippy screen, better AF and higher res, but that's going to wait now. :p
My first was A57 also in 2013, followed by A99 and A77II.

I think I trump that by quite a margin o_O :exit:

Well that's only the usual e-mount bodies... If counted Sony a-mount that's 11 bodies in 10 years

Then there's the IR converted ones I had, which makes it 14 bodies

Then add a couple m43 bodies in there which makes it 16 bodies

And if we add in all the compacts too....
22 bodies over 10 years

Not to mention a couple drones too...

That's assuming I haven't forgotten some along the way

I guess I should just sign up to a self help group at this point

Back