The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Impressive if true (y)

He's backtracking a little...

Personal note: Anxiety on this Sony A9III rumor run
1f642.png

Unlike all other previous rumors were I correctly leaked the camera info of the past three years, this announcement is completely different. Sony is very tight lipped about this new camera!
While I am sure the A9III is the next camera to be announced by Sony...I only got confirmation from one trusted source that it will be announced today.
I therefore feel a bit of a cold feet...knowing that I had no chance to double and triple confirm it via other trusted sources. So let's hope I am right this time too..but emotionally I am a bit unconformable and have panic attacks at the idea the A9III might not be announced today but in early January

After trawling the net for more people who have the same flash issue as myself - I have found that it appears to be an issue with godox. I'm considering trying a native Sony flash, and wondered if anybody knows much about the old HVL-F42AM unit? It appears to be compatible with the Sony A9, however I'm unsure as to the comparable power to the Godox TT685. Anybody have any ideas? The newer speed lights look like they are pretty pricey

Hey @NewBeetle, are you still shooting with the Canon 200mm f/2.8?

He's backtracking a little...
So maybe no global shutter, and maybe not even a camera :facepalm:
After trawling the net for more people who have the same flash issue as myself - I have found that it appears to be an issue with godox. I'm considering trying a native Sony flash, and wondered if anybody knows much about the old HVL-F42AM unit? It appears to be compatible with the Sony A9, however I'm unsure as to the comparable power to the Godox TT685. Anybody have any ideas? The newer speed lights look like they are pretty pricey
I rarely use flash (godox) but I think when I do I have to switch the camera on first and then flash but I can't remember. I'll check when i have some time.

Early days but it works really well. If I was tracking a single subject running then I doubt it would be much different from the A1. I'm hoping to give it a test with a running dog with same lens and A1 and Z9 against each other. If I could find a willing kid or adult to do some runs for me that would be ideal but my kids are now teenagers so would be wanting big bucks for that lol
I'm amazed such an adapter exists and that it works so well as it's something I'd never even think to look for, do you have any issues with it mechanically being so thin? Also where did you buy it from?

My original plan was to go for a Z8 and replace the A9 entirely but I'm leaning more towards going for a Z8 for general use replacing the D750 and getting some of the A9 benefits while keeping the A9 and 100-400mm for sports photography, this adapter would be really useful in using the Sony lenses if needed on the Z8.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying, the A1 (and Z9) are so good with the electronic shutter now that the 'wow' factor of a global shutter has diminished somewhat. No banding and ability to use with HSS flash will be useful to some though.
I was thinking I've not heard of the global shutter so much these days with the stacked sensors on the scene as I remember in the early micro 4/3 days there was always talk about the next camera coming with a global shutter. I assume the no mechanical shutter on the Z9 has worked fine for them when they've proceeded the same way with the Z8.
So maybe no global shutter, and maybe not even a camera :facepalm:

I rarely use flash (godox) but I think when I do I have to switch the camera on first and then flash but I can't remember. I'll check when i have some time.
I mean he's only been wrong constantly for about the last two years on the A9III but maybe this time it will be finally different :D

I'm amazed such an adapter exists and that it works so well as it's something I'd never even think to look for, do you have any issues with it mechanically being so thin? Also where did you buy it from?
I got it on ebay. £250 including import taxes. It seems very well built and you hardly notice it on teh camera. If you aren't shooting action then it will work perfectly. Even for action it is working really well

Hey @NewBeetle, are you still shooting with the Canon 200mm f/2.8?

I am mate, I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I don't use it on a weekly basis or anything but every time I do I fall in love with it all over again. The main reason I originally got it was whenever I used a 70-200mm lens I found I shot it at 200mm 99% of the time. To have a prime that's smaller and lighter than a 70-200 and for a fraction of the cost was probably one of my better lens purchases.

Last edited:
Have any of you been using the new A6700 in anger recently? I have a Nikon Z9 And really want something smaller for general use/walk about but still having the decent auto focus speed for wildlife, I know it wont be a Z9 but as long as its half decent I would be happy, I am thinking A6700 with the 18-135 and the 70-350 and maybe add the 100-400 GM for when I dont mind a little bigger / heavier combo

Have any of you been using the new A6700 in anger recently? I have a Nikon Z9 And really want something smaller for general use/walk about but still having the decent auto focus speed for wildlife, I know it wont be a Z9 but as long as its half decent I would be happy, I am thinking A6700 with the 18-135 and the 70-350 and maybe add the 100-400 GM for when I dont mind a little bigger / heavier combo

IME the A7IV was as good as Z8 for most part in terms of subject tracking. The Z8 mostly wins out having higher frame rate and blackout free shooting.
So A6700 is probably just as good from a pure AF perspective.

70-350mm is simply an amazing lens. I have many times considered buying an APS-C camera just for using this lens. Very sharp, amazing AF and really good reach for the size.
I only used it on my A7IV as my travel telephoto, so got "only" 14mp in APS-C crop mode.

52306020283_01d201baa3_b.jpg

53002696924_a671817010_b.jpg

I am not as impressed with the 18-135mm tbh.... I'd suggest the 16-55mm f2.8 or tamron 17-70mm f2.8

Depending on your budget also consider something like A7C/A7CII/A7CR with tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6. You can also add a couple small primes which you could use on your Z9 also with the megadap adapter.

I am personally considering to get an A7CR for travels with my 20-70mm and 70-200mm f4 lenses. I already have some GM primes like 35mm f1.4 which is pretty small for what it is.
Then I could get the Z8 for using nikon's long teleprimes and use my Sony primes at the wider end if/when needed on the nikon body.

Last edited:
The 300mm f2.8 has got my attention. just under 1.5kg....
wonder how much it costs though, I bet its not £3K-ish

A couple of new features for Sony A1. Not sure I will make any use of them but for video guys teh breathing compensation may be good
Any new subject tracking?

A9III is 6 grand available from spring 2024....
a bit of a joke announcement, its like at least 6 months away..... is Sony giving people time to save up 6K or something?

a bit of a joke announcement, its like at least 6 months away..... is Sony giving people time to save up 6K or something?

6k.... that's seems quite steep! lol

Last edited:
A9 iii - this is absolutely huge for anyone who works with lights. Like leaf shutters but better. Much better. Now the lights will be the bottleneck.
I want this thing.

Can should like discount r3 by at least 50% now :LOL:

Sony with their crazy pricing again :rolleyes:

I missed the release date, Spring 2024, mmm I wonder why they wanted to get this announcement out now. Something big coming from the competition?

At £6K though probably not something I'll pick up.

They mentioned Firmware for the A1 coming March 2024 or later, not holding my breath on that one and no real info.

I missed the release date, Spring 2024, mmm I wonder why they wanted to get this announcement out now. Something big coming from the competition?

At £6K though probably not something I'll pick up.

They mentioned Firmware for the A1 coming March 2024 or later, not holding my breath on that one and no real info.
there is some info on the firmware update, they are adding breathing compensation and few other bits. nothing exciting tbh!

Love the spec....I'll buy it in 5 years when it is like £3k. lol

1 second pre-shooting at 120fps....does that mean it is always recording at the settings you have set it, and then just keep dumping the files all the time?

A9 ii 120fps and global confirmed with 1/80000 shutter speed sync at any shutter speed

It's about time shutter speeds of more than 1/8,000 were available as even in northern England 1/8,000 at ISO 100 sometimes isn't enough with a 50mm f1.1.

Has anyone seen a price?

there is some info on the firmware update, they are adding breathing compensation and few other bits. nothing exciting tbh!

That's sort of what I meant, just a couple of things I wasn't interested in but they said "and more". Again why March 2024 or Later, why can't they just add stuff now and more later, just feels like it's being held back on purpose.

Love the spec....I'll buy it in 5 years when it is like £3k. lol

1 second pre-shooting at 120fps....does that mean it is always recording at the settings you have set it, and then just keep dumping the files all the time?
My guess would be it has a large buffer, and just keeps the previous 1s worth of shots, only saving them to your cards if you actually press the shutter fully.

On Fb people are complaining that it's only 24Mp - I suspect when we get a Global Shutter A1 the A9iii is going to look cheap!

That's sort of what I meant, just a couple of things I wasn't interested in but they said "and more". Again why March 2024 or Later, why can't they just add stuff now and more later, just feels like it's being held back on purpose.
I'd imagine they have a few different options lined up, and are seeing what they can get working and tested in time.

My guess would be it has a large buffer, and just keeps the previous 1s worth of shots, only saving them to your cards if you actually press the shutter fully.

On Fb people are complaining that it's only 24Mp - I suspect when we get a Global Shutter A1 the A9iii is going to look cheap!

That's my guess too, and that buffer is going to be HUGE to hold 120fps of photos, not only pre-shoot but also after.

I suspect 24mp is the ideal choice since the amount of processing and buffer will need to be increased exponentially if say they have a 42mp or a 60mp buffer.

That's my guess too, and that buffer is going to be HUGE to hold 120fps of photos, not only pre-shoot but also after.

I suspect 24mp is the ideal choice since the amount of processing and buffer will need to be increased exponentially if say they have a 42mp or a 60mp buffer.
I wouldn't expect it to shoot for long after and the A9 buffer is already over 200 shots, I'd think the main advantage of the pre-shot like the smaller Sony cameras is you wait for what you want to happen and then press the record button just after it happens and you've captured it. Even aside from hardware requirements, 120fps is going to be so many photos you're going to want to keep any burst sessions very short.

It's about time shutter speeds of more than 1/8,000 were available as even in northern England 1/8,000 at ISO 100 sometimes isn't enough with a 50mm f1.1.

Has anyone seen a price?

$6,000

Last edited:
I don't think the buffer would need to be any larger (I think it's around 200+ on the A9) as on the smaller Sony cameras when you use this feature, pressing the record button then saves the content in the buffer to the memory card. It is a handy feature but one you have to be really careful with as you can only keep it enabled briefly since it quickly heats the camera and rapidly drains the battery as you'd expect.

$6,000

It'll be interesting to see what the UK price is. I did click on a pre order link to a UK dealer but there was no A9 is sight.

To be fair they made a uni
Sony with their crazy pricing again :rolleyes:
To be fair they made a unique product so they may as well while it lasts. It will get discounted eventually but not before at least 2025

@nandbytes thank you for such a detailed reply, I do like the look of A7C and CR but did not want to go full frame with the small body, the idea of the A6700 with 70-350 being equivelent to 105-525 seems a nice range, the 100-400 becoming 150-600 for that extra reach but would potentially hold off until I had seen how the 70-350 performed. Good to hear you thoughts on that 18-135 too, I did think about 16-55 and should have done this last month when Sony had the £250 off offers on both 16-55 and 70-350 when purchased with a A6700

It'll be interesting to see what the UK price is. I did click on a pre order link to a UK dealer but there was no A9 is sight.
I'd be surprised if it was less than £6,000, the dollar conversion is just under £5,000 and then add 20% VAT gets you to £6,000.

I am gonna get a couple of A9III’s. It will wait and let the dust settle and likely until we are into the new financial year before biting. Been waiting in this for a good while so another while won’t matter. Every time I have been an early adopter have got stung on price and issues.

U.K price is £6099

Last edited:
I've just clicked on mirrorless cameras at Wex Photographic and ordered the results with the most expensive first and in that company is this latest Sony especially overpriced? Maybe not.

@nandbytes thank you for such a detailed reply, I do like the look of A7C and CR but did not want to go full frame with the small body, the idea of the A6700 with 70-350 being equivelent to 105-525 seems a nice range, the 100-400 becoming 150-600 for that extra reach but would potentially hold off until I had seen how the 70-350 performed. Good to hear you thoughts on that 18-135 too, I did think about 16-55 and should have done this last month when Sony had the £250 off offers on both 16-55 and 70-350 when purchased with a A6700

The main difference between A7CR and A6700 is like £1K-ish :ROFLMAO:
A7CR in crop mode is basically A6700 but A7CR has 7stop IBIS vs. 5 stops of A6700.

as brilliant as Sony's APS-C lens line up is, their bodies are a bit lacklustre IMO.

all sony bodies drop in price quite a bit because they keep releasing them like mobile phones!
The A9ii, the last A9 released was 4 years ago !
Usually Sony works on this timescale to update cameras.

Also, the A9 ii was (is) still selling close to the RRP of 4 years ago

It can basically shoot 6K 120p video lol
with global shutter you should basically be able to shoot photo and video at the same time.

Last edited:
Back