The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Popped into Rochester this morning before the rain came down. Mixture of 35mm and 55mm (some were 85mm crop).
Started off with just buildings but got a bit braver with the 55mm Zeiss on 85mm crop to get some people shots, I asked permission for the one with the child in.

Sun was rising over the buildings which made some of the shots a bit better.

IMG_0199.jpegIMG_0201.jpegIMG_0205.jpegIMG_0204.jpegIMG_0203.jpegIMG_0202.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty neat idea. How much gear can you fit inside it?
I take my a7c with the Tamron 28-200 fitted + either 24GM or 16-35PZ
Plenty of room in the top compartment for food, jackets etc.
I think you can buy an insert that fits in the top compartment to carry extra camera gear.
Two zipped compartments on the top that I keep my filter pouch and other bits and pieces.

Popped into Rochester this morning before the rain came down. Mixture of 35mm and 55mm (some were 85mm crop).
Started off with just buildings but got a bit braver with the 55mm Zeiss on 85mm crop to get some people shots, I asked permission for the one with the child in.

Sun was rising over the buildings which made some of the shots a bit better.

View attachment 408858View attachment 408861View attachment 408867View attachment 408864View attachment 408865View attachment 408866

Some very nice light and colours in there :)

I was thinking I might have a look at doing some street photography as it’s not my usual thing and it’s way out of my comfort zone, so I’ve started looking at examples for inspiration and to be brutally honest I just don’t get most of it.

A lot of the time it’s just some random person taken from a bit of a distance doing nothing particularly interesting. I even looked into the renowned photographers and whilst some was really great I’d say 90%+ was pretty mundane. So what am I missing, this is a very popular genre bringing high praise so clearly it’s me?

I was thinking I might have a look at doing some street photography as it’s not my usual thing and it’s way out of my comfort zone, so I’ve started looking at examples for inspiration and to be brutally honest I just don’t get most of it.

A lot of the time it’s just some random person taken from a bit of a distance doing nothing particularly interesting. I even looked into the renowned photographers and whilst some was really great I’d say 90%+ was pretty mundane. So what am I missing, this is a very popular genre bringing high praise so clearly it’s me?

For me, I quite like the street scene, catching angles/light/contrast/etc with a person in there. Rather than just shots of people *

Sean Tucker is the first that comes to mind but there are plenty of other who find the composition & wait for the moment.

* Yes, if you go way back through my Flickr you can see street shots of people :ROFLMAO: But I've moved on since then :)

For me, I quite like the street scene, catching angles/light/contrast/etc with a person in there. Rather than just shots of people *

Sean Tucker is the first that comes to mind but there are plenty of other who find the composition & wait for the moment.

* Yes, if you go way back through my Flickr you can see street shots of people :ROFLMAO: But I've moved on since then :)
Thanks for the recommendation, those I like a lot (y)

If you have the chance see if you can watch "Finding Vivian Maier". Street photography has never and will never be my thing but some of her stuff is IMO just outstanding.

Her and Manny Ortiz have even influenced how I photograph Mrs WW :D

If you have the chance see if you can watch "Finding Vivian Maier". Street photography has never and will never be my thing but some of her stuff is IMO just outstanding.

Thanks I’ll take a look.

I go up to London 3 days a month for work and was thinking to have a bit of a go at street next time. Last time I was up there, there were quite a few foreigner tourists in what I can only describe as colourful outfits.
Just need to decide if I go for in your face 35 mm or 28-75mm.

For me, street is either about storytelling or shapes. If neither of those are achieved then it's just a record shot.
Noting that record shots can be beautiful and incredibly relevant, with lots of story, context and provide insight into what life was like on that day.

I love street photography.

I can't do it to save my life!

Noting that record shots can be beautiful and incredibly relevant, with lots of story, context and provide insight into what life was like on that day.

I love street photography.

I can't do it to save my life!
But that’s what I don’t get, many shots don’t portray this imo. There’s no story, no context or anything like that.

But that’s what I don’t get, many shots don’t portray this imo. There’s no story, no context or anything like that.

Which was EXACTLY what I was talking about. I like good street, but like landscapes, there's an awful lot that is just a record. Sometimes it gets enobled with the label 'documentary'.

:exit:

;)

I would ;) wonderful tool.

No. It simply isn't.

Its shutter can induce shutter shock when used with susceptible lenses in the problem shutter speed range. Having suffered that scenario I can tell you that this issue can render a camera and lens combination effectively useless in some situations, as happened to me. The fact that Panasonic knew about this issue and continued to ship affected camera and lens combinations as kits is IMHO nothing short of disgraceful.

They did redesign the shutter mechanism because of this and it was effectively fixed with later cameras. Cold comfort to those like me who bought affected kit.

I am happy to recommend Panasonic cameras and lenses which do not suffer from this issue (I own and use 4) but having spent my hard earned money (well, that's not strictly true as I haven't worked hard for years) on two problematic Panasonic cameras (G7 and GX7) I could never recommend them to anyone else unless they are aware of this issue and buy fully informed and with their eyes open but I can't think why anyone would buy affected kit when non affected kit is also available. For example if we're looking at GX7 style cameras, the GX80 and GX9 are effectively shutter shock free.

Last edited:
I use a Mindshift Panorama 180 backpack when I'm out on the bike.
It means that I don't have the faff of taking the backpack off, getting the camera out then back on again - Gamechanger!!
Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic - in all my hunting for bags I haven't found anything like that and was considering posting a topic here to see if people had recommendations so thanks very much for posting this.

I don't like riding off road with big backpacks as I find they get thrown around a lot when going through the rough stuff (which would make mounting something on the bike a no go) but I'm thinking if I only had the A9/28mm and the few bits and pieces I carry from my 3L backpack then it shouldn't be an issue. After posting earlier I went down to a bike shop and had a look at a Fox 2L and an Evoc 3L bum bag, sorry 'hip pack' but they were useless, the camera would fit but it was sitting loose and had no protection around it apart from the side it's attached to a person. I'm also not sure about having that sort of weight in a hip pack rather than on a backpack where it can be spread across the two straps.

I do sometimes take an old Slingshot 100 with me but the single strap means the bag can move about too much and it's only good for cameras, there's no real space for the bike stuff I need to take with me. So I've been wondering about a slightly larger backpack that could take the camera and bike stuff so this looks what I need.

It's me as well as it's not something I get either and long since given up trying to.
Toby. Give DXO PureRaw a trial.
I picked it up recently and been playing with super low light iso 6400 files from the little RX1r and was disappointed initially as I couldn't see any difference then realised you had to export the files and was really impressed although I haven't tried any of the other current tools. I'm fancying trying to go to higher isos to get a bit more shutter speed and see if the DXO software can make them usable.

Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic - in all my hunting for bags I haven't found anything like that and was considering posting a topic here to see if people had recommendations so thanks very much for posting this.

I don't like riding off road with big backpacks as I find they get thrown around a lot when going through the rough stuff (which would make mounting something on the bike a no go) but I'm thinking if I only had the A9/28mm and the few bits and pieces I carry from my 3L backpack then it shouldn't be an issue. After posting earlier I went down to a bike shop and had a look at a Fox 2L and an Evoc 3L bum bag, sorry 'hip pack' but they were useless, the camera would fit but it was sitting loose and had no protection around it apart from the side it's attached to a person. I'm also not sure about having that sort of weight in a hip pack rather than on a backpack where it can be spread across the two straps.

I do sometimes take an old Slingshot 100 with me but the single strap means the bag can move about too much and it's only good for cameras, there's no real space for the bike stuff I need to take with me. So I've been wondering about a slightly larger backpack that could take the camera and bike stuff so this looks what I need.

It's me as well as it's not something I get either and long since given up trying to.

I picked it up recently and been playing with super low light iso 6400 files from the little RX1r and was disappointed initially as I couldn't see any difference then realised you had to export the files and was really impressed although I haven't tried any of the other current tools. I'm fancying trying to go to higher isos to get a bit more shutter speed and see if the DXO software can make them usable.
Forgot to mention that you can remove the camera compartment completely and use it as a waist/hip bag if you didn't want or need the whole backpack.

Is this the one you mean?
View: https://www.facebook.com/imadclicks/videos/4876779469059997/

I've had a quick flick through som of her stuff, she's a bit hit and miss for me but the good ones are really good. I do love the tones of her black and white photos, I keep dabbling with black and white processing but never been happy with it.

Last edited:
I take my a7c with the Tamron 28-200 fitted + either 24GM or 16-35PZ
Plenty of room in the top compartment for food, jackets etc.
I think you can buy an insert that fits in the top compartment to carry extra camera gear.
Two zipped compartments on the top that I keep my filter pouch and other bits and pieces.
Which size is it you have? I was initially looking at the 22L version but I see there's a slightly smaller 16L version, I think it's 5.4L vs 4.5L for the beltpack. I was leaning towards the 16L version to go as small as possible (it's a 3L backpack I use at the moment) but I'm thinking there's going to be little difference on my back with the 16L vs 22L so I may as well go for the 22L version.

Which size is it you have? I was initially looking at the 22L version but I see there's a slightly smaller 16L version, I think it's 5.4L vs 4.5L for the beltpack. I was leaning towards the 16L version to go as small as possible (it's a 3L backpack I use at the moment) but I'm thinking there's going to be little difference on my back with the 16L vs 22L so I may as well go for the 22L version.
Mines is the 22L version in Tahoe Blue.
Looks like there is a newer version than my one but still basically the same

We go camping all year round in the van which is heated gets nice and toasty at least once a month all weather conditions but i'm concerned about condensation this time of the year if i were to take the camera gear which i want to do obviously.
It would be kept in the Lowepro backpack at the rear of the van coolest area away from the blower and i could also but that bag inside a large plastic container with a lid but it's not completely sealed just two flappy lids.
Using common sense and not to take it out if peeing down as we would bring in more moisture being soaked and to let it climatise in the backpack a bit before getting the camera out and upon return put it back in the bag before we enter the hot van.
Would you, advice welcome.

We go camping all year round in the van which is heated gets nice and toasty at least once a month all weather conditions but i'm concerned about condensation this time of the year if i were to take the camera gear which i want to do obviously.
It would be kept in the Lowepro backpack at the rear of the van coolest area away from the blower and i could also but that bag inside a large plastic container with a lid but it's not completely sealed just two flappy lids.
Using common sense and not to take it out if peeing down as we would bring in more moisture being soaked and to let it climatise in the backpack a bit before getting the camera out and upon return put it back in the bag before we enter the hot van.
Would you, advice welcome.
I always have silicon packs in my camera bags (and also in my storage cupboards at home), I’d have thought if you wipe down your gear if it gets wet and have silicon packs it’ll be fine, never had an issue myself.

If I’ve been out in the rain, or there’s a chance of condensation going from cold environment to warm or vice versa I leave the lens cap off for a while so that it doesn’t trap moisture. Not sure whether this is recommended or not but it makes sense to me ;)

Is this the one you mean?

I've had a quick flick through som of her stuff, she's a bit hit and miss for me but the good ones are really good. I do love the tones of her black and white photos, I keep dabbling with black and white processing but never been happy with it.

Yes.

I've just received the DVD. I bought it (£7) because when I looked on Amazon I found that they're now charging to watch it. So now I can watch it again and again :D

The influence she and Manny Ortiz have had on me is to think about the level/height and angle I hold the camera at. I can't remember which vid Manny Ortis covers this in but if you can find it it's worth watching. If not the effect height and angle have on perspective is I think well worth thinking about.

Yes.

I've just received the DVD. I bought it (£7) because when I looked on Amazon I found that they're now charging to watch it. So now I can watch it again and again :D

The influence she and Manny Ortiz have had on me is to think about the level/height and angle I hold the camera at. I can't remember which vid Manny Ortis covers this in but if you can find it it's worth watching. If not the effect height and angle have on perspective is I think well worth thinking about.
Thanks, height is always something I consider as being tall you tend to be angling the camera down a lot which is not the best so I deliberately try to shoot from lower as much as I can.

Non Sony stuff...

As I haven't been able to get out with a camera recently I've been reading "Collecting and using classic cameras" by Ivor Mantle. This is IMO interesting and well worth reading and some of the pictures taken with these cameras are just gorgeous.

In the opening bits he talks about the qualities of lenses which wouldn't win any praise in technical reviews :D "Note the pleasing roundness and slight softness of the image, which somehow compliments..."

I'd read that this book is hard to find but I had no trouble getting one in perfect condition, it could even be new, off evil bay.

Thanks, height is always something I consider as being tall you tend to be angling the camera down a lot which is not the best so I deliberately try to shoot from lower as much as I can.

I'm not tall :D I've taken some of my favourite pictures after thinking about this but I already did know some of this dating back to my film days. I remember taking a picture of my then gf at 28mm with the camera low and pointing upwards. That picture was a favourite of hers as it made her legs look longer :D

On the subject of books...

I have a copy of "Build your own paper cameras. A complete guide to making your own camera and taking pictures" by Justin Quinnell. There's a dvd with it too.

I've never got around to it and I never will so if anyone wants it they can have it as a Christmas prezzie from me and Pook. I could post it later this week or next so if someone does want it they may get it before or round about Christmas. If anyone wants it, let me know.

The RX line seems all but dead now....
The last RX camera was more than 4 years ago now?

They have since come out with some ZV cameras which are not really the same.
Yes, the RX1RII was announced way back in October 2015 so over eight years ago now and around the time the A7SII and the A7RII were released.

At the time I don't think they were good sellers as there's not many about and rarely any discussion on them whereas the Fuji X100 and Leica Q1 cameras seem a lot more popular. Now with the release of the smaller A7C series and the A7CR alongside a more mature FE system makes an RX1 camera even less viable. I say that as a big fan of the RX1rmk1 which I still use although I note the article above the RX1 speculation isn't even a rumour, it's just a wish by the author.

Gutted to see Capture one Express is being stopped early next year.
Any other free alternatives?

Ps, I've gone to the dark side and got a new camera that's not a Sony it's not even a photography camera.
DJI Osmo Action 4, cracking little bit of kit.

Last edited:
I always have silicon packs in my camera bags (and also in my storage cupboards at home), I’d have thought if you wipe down your gear if it gets wet and have silicon packs it’ll be fine, never had an issue myself.

If I’ve been out in the rain, or there’s a chance of condensation going from cold environment to warm or vice versa I leave the lens cap off for a while so that it doesn’t trap moisture. Not sure whether this is recommended or not but it makes sense to me ;)
Is your camera bag airtight? If not they will be useless.

The RX line seems all but dead now....
The last RX camera was more than 4 years ago now?

They have since come out with some ZV cameras which are not really the same.
I keep forgetting about those ;)
Is your camera bag airtight? If not they will be useless.
Oh, why’s that?

Back