The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

flash sync is 1/200, if you are shooting at 1/250s I think the camera automatically goes into HSS.
This is why mechanical shutter is important for people who use flashes a lot.
The A1 in mechanical shutter is 1/400s

Just make sure the dog with them is not an American XL bully.
They are properly scary things. And I like most dogs. Some yob walk them in the town centre. If one of them got off the leash it could be proper bloodshed. The things pull and bark like rabid

edit: actually the owners are just as scary as the dogs

First game last night with the A9III - really with just out of the box setting, with very few minor tweaks. So not properly set-up as such.
Initial thoughts are... that 120fps is just insane!
I can definitely see the useful aspects of it in SOME instances in sport (as I shoot 90% sports) - but no way would I want to shoot a whole game at 120fps.
It would be 2025 before I have even shifted through all the images.
But - definitely in some big games I can see situations where it will come handy.

That's as much as my initial observations go to.. drove 3 hours home after the game only just woke-up and took the doggie for a walk.

First game last night with the A9III - really with just out of the box setting, with very few minor tweaks. So not properly set-up as such.
Initial thoughts are... that 120fps is just insane!
I can definitely see the useful aspects of it in SOME instances in sport (as I shoot 90% sports) - but no way would I want to shoot a whole game at 120fps.
It would be 2025 before I have even shifted through all the images.
But - definitely in some big games I can see situations where it will come handy.

That's as much as my initial observations go to.. drove 3 hours home after the game only just woke-up and took the doggie for a walk.
If you shoot any dog action I’d be very interested in your thoughts.

I can see if our little doggie would be up for some running in the snow while I photograph him...
Would be a good test of AF for sure ..
Thanks. Appreciate it.

I don't think it has much to do with a7rv or tamron, but rather a very short lens.
135mm would be an absolute minimum, really 200-400mm is the range for this
You want smaller relative dog movement in the frame. The wider and closer you go the more you will miss. You don't have to take my word for it just try it out
The 70-200mm was always my go to but I’ve preferring short primes these days, especially the 35mm.
Thanks. Perhaps I should get 70-200 GM ii
It’s a superb lens.
They are properly scary things. And I like most dogs. Some yob walk them in the town centre. If one of them got off the leash it could be proper bloodshed. The things pull and bark like rabid

Wow, talk about a sweeping generalisation. I know some lovely XL’s and they’re not owned by yobs. I appreciate there’s recent restrictions on these dogs but they’re no all bad (y)

Thought would try some video with the A9. Absolute disaster lol

Face Detection didn’t seem to be working very well at all and then tried touch tracking and it lost tracking so many times. This was pretty slow action too.

I mean I have either got all the settings horribly wrong or it’s just not great for video.

Probably the first :ROFLMAO:

Further to my quest to get action shots of my dog.
Camera A7R5 managed this time. I want to be confident that It'll grab on when he's this small in the frame.
Use the 50GM here, ordered the 70-200 GM2, we'll see.

Tracking Test Sony by Trevor, on Flickr
The 70-200GMii is a fantastic lens. Lightning quick focus and extremely sharp. Running dogs are a very difficult target. Get them locked early and let the camera try and fin the eye. Black dog with brown eyes. same as my Lab, is not the easier target

The 70-200GMii is a fantastic lens. Lightning quick focus and extremely sharp. Running dogs are a very difficult target. Get them locked early and let the camera try and fin the eye. Black dog with brown eyes. same as my Lab, is not the easier target
I can only second that about black labs.

A client (non-dog job) had two - one black one ginger and it was an easy job with the ginger one even in foul dim backlight but the black one was a no go. Give it a good front or side sun light and it should get a bit better.

I take them with the longest lens at a reasonable aperture for the job. 400/5.6 if I can, 200/2.8 if not. By the time it crossed frame filling 200mm line it is over; do it again a few times just to be sure. If I had all the money I think I would specifically throw 300/2.8 at this job.

Thought would try some video with the A9. Absolute disaster lol

Face Detection didn’t seem to be working very well at all and then tried touch tracking and it lost tracking so many times. This was pretty slow action too.

I mean I have either got all the settings horribly wrong or it’s just not great for video.

Probably the first :ROFLMAO:
I'm surprised at that since I've been quite impressed with the A9 video although I'm not a big video person, in clips I've recorded of the dog going in and out of the water or the MotoGP the focus seemed to work as I expected. Although that was in good light so probably not hugely shallow depth of field.

I'm surprised at that since I've been quite impressed with the A9 video although I'm not a big video person, in clips I've recorded of the dog going in and out of the water or the MotoGP the focus seemed to work as I expected. Although that was in good light so probably not hugely shallow depth of field.

Yeah I think user error played a big part. Although eye af was on I have just found the setting that displays it on the display was off.

So with the camera in AFC will it always attempt to focus on what’s in the middle of the frame?

I can only second that about black labs.

A client (non-dog job) had two - one black one ginger and it was an easy job with the ginger one even in foul dim backlight but the black one was a no go. Give it a good front or side sun light and it should get a bit better.

I take them with the longest lens at a reasonable aperture for the job. 400/5.6 if I can, 200/2.8 if not. By the time it crossed frame filling 200mm line it is over; do it again a few times just to be sure. If I had all the money I think I would specifically throw 300/2.8 at this job.
A 400mm F2.8 is great for dogs but a pain to lug around on a paid job
_A9_9789 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few days ago i was there thinking i need to stop buying random gear.... BUT now im tempted by the A9 III :LOL: I do photography as a hobby and im mostly into photos of my Blue / Grey German Shepherd and car photography.. I'll be honest and admit i do have too many cameras systems Nikon, Fuji and Sony tbh yet i just think of getting more keepers for my. dark coloured dog and the motorsport stuff.

Decisions Decisions :ROFLMAO: The A1 is a cheaper option yet i just wonder if to get the A9 III as it is more wildlife and sport based....

A 400mm F2.8 is great for dogs but a pain to lug around on a paid job
_A9_9789 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
You really can't argue with that image.

I think 300mm f/2.8 should also get you there. Or 400mm f/4.5 which is only available for Nikon. I had enough experience with Canon 600mm f/4 IS (pretty much a 400/2.8 + 1.4x) to remember that I will never want to handhold a lens of that weight again :LOL: . 300 is still totally fine.

Yeah I think user error played a big part. Although eye af was on I have just found the setting that displays it on the display was off.

So with the camera in AFC will it always attempt to focus on what’s in the middle of the frame?
When I do eye AFC in mine it's anywhere in the frame.
Try changing the sensitivity and the setting that allows a photo to be taken without AF lock (I forget the song setting name)

A few days ago i was there thinking i need to stop buying random gear.... BUT now im tempted by the A9 III :LOL: I do photography as a hobby and im mostly into photos of my Blue / Grey German Shepherd and car photography.. I'll be honest and admit i do have too many cameras systems Nikon, Fuji and Sony tbh yet i just think of getting more keepers for my. dark coloured dog and the motorsport stuff.

Decisions Decisions :ROFLMAO: The A1 is a cheaper option yet i just wonder if to get the A9 III as it is more wildlife and sport based....
I wouldn’t say the A9III is more sport and wildlife based, they’re the A1’s forte plus you have more ability to crop with the A1 which can be important for wildlife.

The A9III will obviously have the latest greatest AF system, and you’ll you’ll get more keepers just by virtue you can shoot at 30fps ;)
When I do eye AFC in mine it's anywhere in the frame.
Try changing the sensitivity and the setting that allows a photo to be taken without AF lock (I forget the song setting name)
Eye AF does get the head for me but it’s a bit hit and miss whether it will get the eyes, I think Betty’s sticky up ears confuses the camera as it often thinks they’re the eyes :ROFLMAO:

Honestly that is complete nonsense.

I don't have one but know a few people that do. Like with any dog, how they are trained makes a huge difference to temprament. A good owner will have a good XL bully. Like any big dog if you are attacked by one they will do more damage than small dogs. XL bullys do not even rank high for dog attacks in the U.K. The highest rated for attacks is actually a chihuahua closely followed by Labrador's and Jack Russels.

In other news we got a new pup a couple of weeks ago, a staffy.

Having lost 3 of our 4 dogs this time last year within a very short space of time due to old age it was a tough call on deciding if we would get another especially for my missus but I eventually managed to talk her around.

You really can't argue with that image.

I think 300mm f/2.8 should also get you there. Or 400mm f/4.5 which is only available for Nikon. I had enough experience with Canon 600mm f/4 IS (pretty much a 400/2.8 + 1.4x) to remember that I will never want to handhold a lens of that weight again :LOL: . 300 is still totally fine.
The new 300mm f2.8 will be a killer lens for dogs. I'm completely ruling it out as I have the 400 but I know I will be tempted in time just because of it's weight. The 400 and 600 are pretty light and definitely handholdable but I prefer to use them on monopods And tripods

Honestly that is complete nonsense.

I don't have one but know a few people that do. Like with any dog, how they are trained makes a huge difference to temprament. A good owner will have a good XL bully. Like any big dog if you are attacked by one they will do more damage than small dogs. XL bullys do not even rank high for dog attacks in the U.K. The highest rated for attacks is actually a chihuahua closely followed by Labrador's and Jack Russels.

In other news we got a new pup a couple of weeks ago, a staffy.

Having lost 3 of our 4 dogs this time last year within a very short space of time due to old age it was a tough call on deciding if we would get another especially for my missus but I eventually managed to talk her around.
Sorry to hear about your other dogs but congrats on your new pup. We had a Staffie prior to our Frenchie, best temperament ever. Soft as a brush, easy to train and very loyal.

The highest rated for attacks is actually a chihuahua
Lol.
They can bark all they want. They can't even bite. They want to but can't. I purposely allowed one to try and bite my finger. The thing failed despite repeat effects. Silly silly annoying thing

followed by Labrador's
Yeah right

I think our govt definitely got it right this one time

Lol.
They can bark all they want. They can't even bite. They want to but can't. I purposely allowed one to try and bite my finger. The thing failed despite repeat effects. Silly silly annoying thing

Yeah right

I think our govt definitely got it right this one time

The information is readily available online Labradors are rated second for attacks on people in the U.K.

The information is readily available online Labradors are rated second for attacks on people in the U.K.
I will play it safe next time and get a hyiena instead :LOL:

I don't see a single lab since 2010 on the list (I did not bother checking earlier dates). The data looks very self explanatory and labs are also one of the most popular breeds

I will play it safe next time and get a hyiena instead :LOL:

I don't see a single lab since 2010 on the list (I did not bother checking earlier dates). The data looks very self explanatory and labs are also one of the most popular breeds
Wikipedia as a source :)

Labrador Retrievers were responsible for 9 deaths between 2005-2017 alone.

There was a rather long article on the kennel clubs forum about it that I read recently while researching what puppy to go for that’s how I know it’s Chihuahua > Labrador > Jack Russel. That was based on claims made from the pet insurance companies.

XL bully’s didn’t even make the top 10.

I love labs but this was even talked about 18 years ago when we got our lab puppy.

Last edited:
Wikipedia as a source :)

Labrador Retrievers were responsible for 9 deaths between 2005-2017

There was a rather long article on the kennel clubs forum about it that I read recently while researching what puppy to go for that’s how I know it’s Chihuahua > Labrador > Jack Russel.

XL bully’s didn’t even make the top 10.

I love labs but this was even talked about 18 years ago when we got our lab puppy.
Someone trolled you really well

Chihuahua can at worst s*** and p*** on the floor. That must make it the most fearsome attack :LOL:
You are definitely trying to convince the wrong people to ban labs instead of Pitbull XL.
The only reason they don't kill more is because they tend to be on the leash and people are really afraid of them.
And just because out of millions of labs a few slightly graze someone and usually for a good reason doesn't make it a legit stat and again the government is in full agreement

Someone trolled you really well

Chihuahua can at worst s*** and p*** on the floor. That must make it the most fearsome attack :LOL:
You are definitely trying to convince the wrong people to ban labs instead of Pitbull XL.
The only reason they don't kill more is because they tend to be on the leash and people are really afraid of them.
And just because out of millions of labs a few slightly graze someone and usually for a good reason doesn't make it a legit stat and again the government is in full agreement

The only one trolling is you mate but that seems par for the course on here to be fair.

As I already said I love labs we had ours for 18 years. But after that we just couldn’t get another one. I don’t want any dogs banned never mind labs it’s pathetic. The owners should be responsible not the dogs.

Last edited:
Perhaps for the sake of peace in the thread we could leave the possibly contentious issues behind us and for a few posts at least we might post photos or talk about lenses or cameras?

I took this in the Serpentine Tunnel at Fountains Abbey. A7 and Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 at f1.2, 1/50 and ISO 10,000. It's sill probably a bit brighter than it looked by eye.

DSC04505.jpg

It is a nice lens but I think it's bordering on being a bit on the heavy side for me to use it as my go to 50mm.

Last edited:
Regarding the RAW files, I have tried the small lossless compression files, & they look OK once opened, but they won't open in some programmes. They are 4 times smaller. Example. Normal file around 125kb, Small Lossless 35kb. In fact they are a little smaller than the Jpegs. I have processed a couple and they look good to me.
If I go down the conversion route, what is the best programme to convert RAW files to smaller files, and what type of files do you recommend?

They used to be top. of the list. Most likely as they were by far the most common breed. The very serious attacks don't seem to be Labs though and the worse attacks usually have owners who are similar never mind breed of dog.

Eventually getting round to putting the Z9 and lenses on ebay. I really wanted to love the camera but the announcement of the features on the A9 iii combined with the purchase of the 600mm F4 means I can have everything I need without the hassle of selling up the stable of Sony itmes.

I don't think I posted this one..... A7Riii - 35GM...

On the subject of 35's...

I took this with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 at f8, 1/160 and ISO 100.

DSC04018.JPG

I like the picture and I was please to capture the bird and its reflection in the water but I was disappointed not to have captured the bird sharply... I think 1/160 in aperture priority wasn't fast enough and I really wish I'd put the camera in manual and dialled in a faster shutter speed. Oh well...

On the subject of 35's...

I took this with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 at f8, 1/160 and ISO 100.

View attachment 413308

I like the picture and I was please to capture the bird and its reflection in the water but I was disappointed not to have captured the bird sharply... I think 1/160 in aperture priority wasn't fast enough and I really wish I'd put the camera in manual and dialled in a faster shutter speed. Oh well...

I don't think it notices too much Alan :)

Never seen this post trolled with so much absolute ignorance in years.

Back