The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Such a shame.

Good luck getting this sorted Joe.
Thanks buddy. As I said, I'm pretty relaxed about it. I've bought seven cameras from Efinity over the last few years, plus maybe around 6 lenses, so I reckon I've saved thousands across those purchases with no issues until now, so if it costs me £350.00 to repair, then so be it. It's the risk you take with grey goods and I'm ok with that. I've still got my A7R3, which I'll continue to use for landscapes until I get it back.

Yes, I agree. I'll be having the whole lens contact unit renewed. Out of interest I did some shopping around and managed to find the part, which is £105.00. Just wanted to look in case I'm told there is a parts supply issue.

View attachment 414546
:eek:

Any idea why e-infin no longer sell Signa lenses on the u.k version of the site. Yet they are available on the e.u version of the site?

Cotswald have also stopped selling Sigma lenses as well.

Wonder if Sigma has threatened them with anything. Seems weird.

Thanks buddy. As I said, I'm pretty relaxed about it. I've bought seven cameras from Efinity over the last few years, plus maybe around 6 lenses, so I reckon I've saved thousands across those purchases with no issues until now, so if it costs me £350.00 to repair, then so be it. It's the risk you take with grey goods and I'm ok with that. I've still got my A7R3, which I'll continue to use for landscapes until I get it back.
why not buy from panamoz. from all reports I have read they have great after sales support. you can get your camera repaired in the UK and they'll refund you the amount.

why not buy from panamoz. from all reports I have read they have great after sales support. you can get your camera repaired in the UK and they'll refund you the amount.
Cotswolds too (y)

Hmm, very odd.

make sure you test this one for decentering. I tried two copies and both were decentered (2nd one worst than 1st).
So I personally just gave up on this lens, may be I was just really unlucky.
I am actually yet to see a well centered ultra wide zoom from any manufacturer at all. It is most annoying to be completely honest. You probably need to test a whole warehouse to find a reasonable copy. I don't know about the new GM2 but most of the fancy shmancy Canon L's are trash.

panamoz has the whole lot available

I am actually yet to see a well centered ultra wide zoom from any manufacturer at all. It is most annoying to be completely honest. You probably need to test a whole warehouse to find a reasonable copy. I don't know about the new GM2 but most of the fancy shmancy Canon L's are trash.
I had two copies of Sony 16-35mm GM (first version) and both seemed generally fine.
I had two copied of Tamron 17-28mm and second copy wasn't great at 28mm.
I had one copy of Sony 12-24mm f4 and Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f4. The 12-24mm was good and the zeiss 16-35mm was not perfect at 35mm.

now I used a prime lens (viltrox 16mm f1.8) and its lot better. I have a 20-70mm as my general purpose lens and its fine too.

Last edited:
now I used a prime lens (viltrox 16mm f1.4) and its lot better.
did you mean f/1.8? A prime should be hopefully much easier to make with less room for QC errors. Metal barrel too.

My 16-35mm doesn’t show any significant decentering but I’ve never had wider than this.

Panamoz are price at a much higher price point for the stuff I am looking at.
They do come down if you ask, maybe not as low as e-infin but not far off from my experience.

Hello guys, long time since I've been here. Hope everyone is well. :) I got asked for permission to use one of my photos in a gallery on a gear site about the Sigma 18-50mm. I used to use it all the time with my Sony a6600 a while ago. Mine is the sixth pic down in black and white.

Hello guys, long time since I've been here. Hope everyone is well. :) I got asked for permission to use one of my photos in a gallery on a gear site about the Sigma 18-50mm. I used to use it all the time with my Sony a6600 a while ago. Mine is the sixth pic down in black and white.

Nice one, Lee (y)
I'm surprised they used the seagull image tbh - the bird has been worked on but not very well judging by the light area between its legs :thinking:

Yes, that might have been a good call, only £100 more expensive than Efinity. Too late now though unfortunately.

Yes, that might have been a good call, only £100 more expensive than Efinity. Too late now though unfortunately.
They'll sometimes match e-infinity or get close to it.
Last time I asked (for the A7C) they got within £20 of the e-infinity price.

Just had this email from Amazon. Seems similar price to the HK sites.

Sony FE 20-70 mm F4 G | G Full-frame Standard Zoom Lens £959.99.

Just had this email from Amazon. Seems similar price to the HK sites.

Sony FE 20-70 mm F4 G | G Full-frame Standard Zoom Lens £959.99.

I paid £789 for mine (y)

They'll sometimes match e-infinity or get close to it.
Last time I asked (for the A7C) they got within £20 of the e-infinity price.
Cotswolds are normally not far off e-infin and have 3 year warranty with UK repairs (y)

In two minds. When I got my A7iii, I used my Samyang 85 1.4 more at first - took me a while to get into my Tamron 28-75 2.8. However it's now my go to lens but I do finding myself wanting more width and a bit more light. I'm off to NY in a couple of months and have several days to myself to explore the city and take some photos. The hope is to move out of my comfort zone (portraits, weddings, candid moments) and try new things and maybe new techniques.

Can't decide if I should buy a fast/wide prime (35mm was my sweet spot on my old D5200 and although I want wider, I just love a fast 35mm) or just save money and stick with what I have.

Last edited:
In two minds. When I got my A7iii, I used my Samyang 85 1.4 more at first - took me a while to get into my Tamron 28-75 2.8. However it's now my go to lens but I do finding myself wanting more width and a bit more light. I'm off to NY in a couple of months and have several days to myself to explore the city and take some photos. The hope is to move out of my comfort zone (portraits, weddings, candid moments) and try new things and maybe new techniques.

Can't decide if I should buy a fast/wide prime (35mm was my sweet spot on my old D5200 and although I want wider, I just love a fast 35mm) or just save money and stick with what I have.
I took a 24-80mm eq to New York and on occasion wish I’d got wider. A 35mm on the A7iii will be wider than a 35mm on your D5200 as the D5200 is a crop body so will actually give the effective fov of a 52.5mm lens.

The 20-70mm would be a good focal length to take, or even a 16-35mm however if you’re planning on going up some of the skyscrapers you may want longer than 35mm to zoom in on specific buildings.

I took a 24-80mm eq to New York and on occasion wish I’d got wider. A 35mm on the A7iii will be wider than a 35mm on your D5200 as the D5200 is a crop body so will actually give the effective fov of a 52.5mm lens.

The 20-70mm would be a good focal length to take, or even a 16-35mm however if you’re planning on going up some of the skyscrapers you may want longer than 35mm to zoom in on specific buildings.
Thanks. And that's why I'm even more on the fence regarding the 35mm (effective 52mm on my D5200) vs something in the 20mm range.

looks like you are feeling the same as I felt when i had the 28-75mm f2.8 - not wide enough, not long enough, not fast enough :ROFLMAO:
I had much better time with Sony 24-105mm, Tamron 28-200mm and my current Sony 20-70mm.

As a general rule I use zooms for versatility and go with f4 or slower zooms and use primes for speed i.e. f1.2-1.4-1.8. That capitalises on strengths on each type of lens.
I generally haven't enjoyed using f2.8 or faster zooms (70-200mm f2.8 being the exception)

Thanks. And that's why I'm even more on the fence regarding the 35mm (effective 52mm on my D5200) vs something in the 20mm range.
Are you taking the D5200 as well as the A7III then?
You need a GM 50 f1.2. ;)

But a16-35 would be a good walkabout lens.
I’m still on the fence whether I’m going to use the 16-35mm or 20-70mm as my go to walkabout lens :thinking: I’m pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on the 16-35mm GMII at some point but I’ve got to wait until the next tax year before I can take any more dividends out of the company :LOL:

Are you taking the D5200 as well as the A7III then?

I’m still on the fence whether I’m going to use the 16-35mm or 20-70mm as my go to walkabout lens :thinking: I’m pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on the 16-35mm GMII at some point but I’ve got to wait until the next tax year before I can take any more dividends out of the company :LOL:
I didn't consider that but probably not. I always pack too much especially with gadgets and camera equipment so will likely take the one body.

I didn't consider that but probably not. I always pack too much especially with gadgets and camera equipment so will likely take the one body.

I like 35mm but when I go on holiday I take my A7 with a 35mm and also a 1" sensor compact with a 25-250mm lens.

Could a 1" compact be an option for you?

FWIW the 24-105 @nandbytes mentioned is the best of the Sony walkabout options if you don't mind the weight and bulk.
This is just preference as I’d actually disagree with this. For me the 20-70mm f4 is a much better option as the extra 4mm at the wide end makes a big difference, and I can crop to get the 105mm reach. Also I found the 24-105mm a little on the heavy side and not as well balanced. YMMV (y)

This is just preference as I’d actually disagree with this. For me the 20-70mm f4 is a much better option as the extra 4mm at the wide end makes a big difference, and I can crop to get the 105mm reach. Also I found the 24-105mm a little on the heavy side and not as well balanced. YMMV (y)

Fair comment. As I understand it, the 24 is closer to 22mm if you turn off built in correction. I usually pair it with an older 12-24. But the extra length is helpful in the walkabout aspect - it all depends which end you are least bothered to lose.

These days I often just carry a 50 and stitch multiple images for wide angle work, though that could be tricky in a city.

They do come down if you ask, maybe not as low as e-infin but not far off from my experience.

Ended up they came down a fair bit very close to e-infin so have ordered with them for one lens anyway, putting the other on the back burner for now.

E-infin will ship Sigma to me as I am in Northern Ireland and they will ship to Ireland, they won't ship any Sigma at the moment to the U.K, but didn't explain why.

Guys,

I want to treat my A7 to a good battery. What and where to buy from please :D

£66 on the Sony shop.

Guys,

I want to treat my A7 to a good battery. What and where to buy from please :D

£66 on the Sony shop.
I’ve just stuck to genuine Sony ones as I’ve heard stories of third party not playing nice with Sony. Prior to Sony I always used ExPro.

I’ve just stuck to genuine Sony ones as I’ve heard stories of third party not playing nice with Sony. Prior to Sony I always used ExPro.

Apart from the original I've always used batteries which came with chargers or just what came up on Amazon but the last one I bought from Amazon doesn't seem to be very good so I thought I'd go for a couple of originals... unless someone knows of anything better.

I thought buying direct from Sony will guarantee they're originals whereas who can be sure with Amazon and ebay?

Back