The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Do you post them all at teh same resolution, if not it could be a sampling thing
I've tried all sorts of combos of export resolution from LR with different resoltions from flickr, nothing seems to work or make a difference :(

AFAIK most modern lenses require some kind of correction, for as long as I can remember there's been lens profiles in LR to correct distortion and/or vignette. It just appears nowadays manufacturers are more prepared to rely on the improvement in software corrections in an aim to acheive smaller, lighter lenses. I read somewhere that it can also help improve edge to edge sharpness but I'm not sure how true that is :thinking:

View attachment 416651
This example is not a disaster but the distortion clearly is there. -2.54% at 24mm and +1.6% at 70mm, going down to 0 somewhere in the middle. These are actually some of the better numbers for a zoom of this type, i.e. nothing wild like 10% or more. You will want to enable the correction if you have any lines near the edges. Otherwise I just wouldn't bother. It REDUCES sharpness and quite considerably. Just think about it.
Vignette is there but again a very reasonable amount. Not 5 stops like RF lenses :ROFLMAO:

A good 24mm prime should slaughter it. No real surprises there. My attempt to replace a 24-70mm resulted in a Lowepro 450 bag bursting full of primes and the need to keep swapping them. It's normally OK, but when it is dusty and / or windy or wet I am generally not too happy with that arrangement

I've tried all sorts of combos of export resolution from LR with different resoltions from flickr, nothing seems to work or make a difference :(

Ditto. As above, I've never figured it out and it seems almost chance.

When people talk about lens sharpness I'll probably just take their word for it rather than judge by what I see on the screen.

Ditto. As above, I've never figured it out and it seems almost chance.

When people talk about lens sharpness I'll probably just take their word for it rather than judge by what I see on the screen.
I click through to flickr when possible if it's a photo I like as it always looks better on there.

My MFT are RF style so they are a bit smaller.

Good luck with the new toys :D

I had some free time so I headed to the seaside. It was cold, raining a bit and overall, drab.

A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4.

Sandsend.

DSC04981.JPG

Whitby was no better.

DSC04989.jpg

I took a similar picture to this next one a while ago in lower light with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 at f1.2 so I wanted to see how the Pergear compared at f1.4. The f1.2 picture is far nicer because it was taken on a day which wasn't drab.

DSC05015.jpg

Colour and contrast was pretty hard to find today.

DSC05026.JPG

A pano.

Whitby-07-03-24.jpg

I just wanted to see how the Pergear performed for a pan and this isn't too bad. The car reg plates aren't quite sharp but that could be partly due to the light being so poor. I dialled in some dehaze to liven things in the distance up a bit. I don't normally do this but the conditions were just so poor.

Back to pick up Mrs WW and then on to Saltburn for a picnic. At f1.4 again.

DSC05035.jpg

Due to this lens being about a stop behind my other modern 35mm lenses at most of its apertures it's not really a f1.4 very low light lens and there are sharpness issues across the frame but as a very cheap 35mm f1.4 prime it is IMO ok especially if you focus on "cheap" and it being very small and light. Oh, and there's quite a bit of distortion so you need a profile to sort it out.

Last edited:
40-150 f/2.8
Very nice lens that. I do love the build and handling of the Pro Olympus lenses, just a shame you don't get decent subject seperation with this format.

Might be the shortest lived system change ever. The gear is currently in WEX awaiting a trade in valuation :)
If you've just bought it can't you just send it back rather than reselling?

If you've just bought it can't you just send it back rather than reselling?

I bought it used. There was a lot of things I like about it. The gear itself is great build quality and just feels nice to use. The A.F performance was very good.

I just have a problem with the images though which is obviously the most important thing. I haven’t 100% made by mind up yet was a bit of a spare of the moment decision buying it. Will see what WEX offer for it and make a call on it then.

I bought it used. There was a lot of things I like about it. The gear itself is great build quality and just feels nice to use. The A.F performance was very good.

I just have a problem with the images though which is obviously the most important thing. I haven’t 100% made by mind up yet was a bit of a spare of the moment decision buying it. Will see what WEX offer for it and make a call on it then.
“Problem with the images”?

Yeah because of the small sensor image quality just doesn’t compare well with what I am used too.

It would probably be fine for a lot of people.
I think one or two of did say now we are FF we wouldn’t drop back. I guess you have to see for yourself. I struggled with APSC. Not afraid to say I’m a FF snob.

Looking back to my Olly days I have some cracking images. But I look at the files in comparison and the detail simply isn’t there.

Maybe if I was thinking of a macro system Olly is the system to have.

I think one or two of did say now we are FF we wouldn’t drop back. I guess you have to see for yourself. I struggled with APSC. Not afraid to say I’m a FF snob.

Looking back to my Olly days I have some cracking images. But I look at the files in comparison and the detail simply isn’t there.

Maybe if I was thinking of a macro system Olly is the system to have.

I have no problem with APSC I had an A6400 a while back and actually quite liked that. There is a bigger difference than I thought there would be between M43 and APSC though and a huge different between full frame and M43.

I could still end up keeping the Olly stuff as my head is pickled looking at different options.

I did consider the Nikon ZF but add the cost of a few lenses and it gets quite pricey for what is basically going to be a point and shoot camera for walks. Seems nuts to spend big when we already have 6 Sony bodies and a ton of glass.

Going to have a look at an A6700 today as at least with that I can have the choice of smaller APSC lenses as well as using my existing stuff as needed.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with the Sony aps models, is the viewfinder and side placement. It's horrible compared to a central unit. Also in my opinion there isn't much if any noticeable difference in quality between the two formats and when carrying on a rucksack or in-hand, the apsc is far less intrusive than FF.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with the Sony aps models, is the viewfinder and side placement. It's horrible compared to a central unit. Also in my opinion there isn't much if any noticeable difference in quality between the two formats and when carrying on a rucksack or in-hand, the apsc is far less intrusive than FF.

I didn’t find the viewfinder being on the side on the A6400 too much of a problem so don’t think I will have an issue with that although apparently the EVF on the A6700 is a bit crap.

No joystick is something that will probably niggle at me.

I didn’t find the viewfinder being on the side on the A6400 too much of a problem so don’t think I will have an issue with that although apparently the EVF on the A6700 is a bit crap.

No joystick is something that will probably niggle at me.
Just my opinion. However I for one would purchase immediately if Sony centralised/improved it.

Another option is Fuji X-S20 anyone had one of those?

I have the X-S10.

The BIGGEST gripe I have with it is I cannot center the focus point with the stick. There is a separate button (DISP/BACK) below it, which is flat to the body, so I can't feel it under my finger. I have to use that to center the focus point. Not sure if they changed this in the X-S20. The sensor is the same for both, so the IQ is the same.

That is my biggest gripe with the camera, of course, single card, no weather sealing, flip out screen, pop up flash, IBIS, PASM dials, a dedicated one just for film sim if you like (I love it).

X-S20 also has the new Fuji battery and UHS-II. As I only need mine for travel and family. the X-S10 can be had for like £600 is much better value IMO.

The take away feeling is that when using it, even though it is APSC, the experience of it feels like I am shooting FF.

Last edited:
Yeah because of the small sensor image quality just doesn’t compare well with what I am used too.

It would probably be fine for a lot of people.

Even as a long time MFT user with Panasonic I would agree with this. If you go looking for the differences v FF they are there to be seen and Tobys comment about DoF is of course true as it's a x2 system. My main gripe is the reduction in DR v FF as this shows itself readily in some compositions.

In good to reasonable light though and if DR isn't an issue and if restricting ourselves to full image or close viewing but not very close viewing I think that MFT pictures can get lost amongst a slideshow of pictures including FF. One thing I do to try and get a more FF look is to use the lenses wide open to f4 or so (f5.6 or whatever wide open is with a zoom) and only stop down for the odd picture when needed.

I know we shouldn't compare digital cameras to film any more as times have moved on but I do still think back to those days and also to my DSLR days and I think MFT is not only easily better than film but also better (apart from thin DoF) than any Canon DSLR I had including the 5D, and better than the 5DII our wedding was shot with. I also think there's no real difference between the best MFT cameras I've had and the Fuju X100f I had.

I don't know if MFT is compelling as a second system to Sony FF as the A6xxx range is very compact and one of those and a small prime could be tempting to anyone who can get away with a small prime.

I have the X-S10.

The BIGGEST gripe I have with it is I cannot center the focus point with the stick. There is a separate button (DISP/BACK) below it, which is flat to the body, so I can't feel it under my finger. I have to use that to center the focus point. Not sure if they changed this in the X-S20. The sensor is the same for both, so the IQ is the same.

That is my biggest gripe with the camera, of course, single card, no weather sealing, flip out screen, pop up flash, IBIS, PASM dials, a dedicated one just for film sim if you like (I love it).

X-S20 also has the new Fuji battery and UHS-II. As I only need mine for travel and family. the X-S10 can be had for like £600 is much better value IMO.

The take away feeling is that when using it, even though it is APSC, the experience of it feels like I am shooting FF.

Any recommendations on either of these 2? Sigma 56mm f/1.4 or Fuji 56mm f/1.2 R Not wanting to spend the doh for the 56mm R WR

Any recommendations on either of these 2? Sigma 56mm f/1.4 or Fuji 56mm f/1.2 R Not wanting to spend the doh for the 56mm R WR

I have the 56/1.2 (it was the only circus in town at the time), it's fine, but it isn't in the 85GM league. The Sigma is smaller though so that might sway you if size is important. The Fuji does have the aperture ring though if that is important. There is CA on the Fuji though, but it's nowhere as bad as my old Canon 85L.

X-S20 Boxed £999

X-S10 Boxed £599

As usual, LCE's prices is wacky, here is one body at £120 more.

They also have one with a 15-45 kit lens for £200 more (not worth it, I got the same combo with only 120 shutter count for £699, boxed like new)

Last edited:
I have no problem with APSC I had an A6400 a while back and actually quite liked that. There is a bigger difference than I thought there would be between M43 and APSC though and a huge different between full frame and M43.

I could still end up keeping the Olly stuff as my head is pickled looking at different options.

I did consider the Nikon ZF but add the cost of a few lenses and it gets quite pricey for what is basically going to be a point and shoot camera for walks. Seems nuts to spend big when we already have 6 Sony bodies and a ton of glass.

Going to have a look at an A6700 today as at least with that I can have the choice of smaller APSC lenses as well as using my existing stuff as needed.
If you like the A6400 then I would give another shout for the A7C series. A7Cii probably suit for the use you are looking for.

Fuji combo you are looking at is only approx 100g lighter than the A7Cii & 50mm f1.4 GM.

I used the A7CR and 50mm f1.4 at a shoot Wednesday with the wrist strap and it felt nice in the hand. I have the 40mm f2.5 for a walk around and the 20-70mm for days out.

Fits nice with the Sony stuff I have. Same batteries, same menu systems. IQ, colours I know works for me.

Well silver is for Hipsters and black is for Pro's - choice is yours :ROFLMAO:
I don't fit into either. Maybe I should start sticking those army camouflage skins on instead :ROFLMAO:

If you like the A6400 then I would give another shout for the A7C series. A7Cii probably suit for the use you are looking for.

Fuji combo you are looking at is only approx 100g lighter than the A7Cii & 50mm f1.4 GM.

I used the A7CR and 50mm f1.4 at a shoot Wednesday with the wrist strap and it felt nice in the hand. I have the 40mm f2.5 for a walk around and the 20-70mm for days out.

Fits nice with the Sony stuff I have. Same batteries, same menu systems. IQ, colours I know works for me.

Fuji lenses are a lot smaller, the siggy 56mm for example is tiny. The 50 f/1.4 wouldn’t be for me. I have the f/1.2.

This is the main thing, I have the 15-45mm, that thing is like the size of a kiwi fruit. The 35/1.4 for example is like old school manual 50/1.4 film camera lens size, yet it is auto focus.

The 24/1.4 R and 56/1.2 R is about the same size, same front filter size. I think the 35/1.4, without a hood on like a XE4 makes a tiny combo.

Or might you be interested in a mint/lsc A7m3? :naughty:

Back