The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nice one, thanks :)
I don't think the 24-240mm is very highly regarded and believe the Tamron and Sigma all in one's are better, but someone with more knowledge on these types of lenses will confirm/correct me (y)
 
I'm thinking I'd like to try 28mm so am considering buying the wide coverter lens for the X100VI however I'm 'concerned' it will upset the balance of the camera making it front heavy.

Do you use the X100's OVF or (like I did) do you just the EVF? I ask because afaik with the wide converter fitted you wont see the whole frame with the OVF but you will with the evf.

I quite like 28mm or 24mm but I like 35/40 more.
 
Last edited:
Do you use the X100's OVF or (like I did) do you just the EVF? I ask because afaik with the wide converter fitted you wont see the whole frame with the OVF but you will with the evf.

I quite like 28mm or 24mm but I like 35/40 more.
I tend to use the EVF, I find AF slower with the OVF for some reason :thinking:
 

No idea what it’s like.
Not good at all

Sony 600mm 6.3 announcement makes me wanted to switch to this ecosystem.

A1 II, 14mm 1.8, 24-105mm, 300 2.8 and 600mm 6.3 plus 1.4x and 2x tc.

Does Sony have Canon 24-240mm equivalent??? Thanks.

Use either sigma 20-200mm or tamron 25-200mm f2.8-5.6

I personally use the sigma 20-200mm along with Sony 16mm f1.8 (instead of 14mm, because it's much smaller and has filter thread)
 
Do you use the X100's OVF or (like I did) do you just the EVF? I ask because afaik with the wide converter fitted you wont see the whole frame with the OVF but you will with the evf.

I quite like 28mm or 24mm but I like 35/40 more.

I tend to use the EVF, I find AF slower with the OVF for some reason :thinking:

I might be wrong, but I think the whole OVF might be 28mm. I'm sure I read/heard that somewhere.

Whether that was intentional or not.....
 
I don't think the 24-240mm is very highly regarded and believe the Tamron and Sigma all in one's are better, but someone with more knowledge on these types of lenses will confirm/correct me (y)
I'm not very fussy with lenses and mainly use superzooms but even then I found the 24-240mm lens a poor one especially at telephoto ranges. I initially was only using the 24-240mm with the A9 and was quite shocked when I started using the Sigma 100-400mm how good the image quality of the A9 was which I stupidly thought wasn't that great due to the stacked sensor. There is a Tamron 28-300mm which I haven't used nor the Sigma 20-200mm,
 
I might be wrong, but I think the whole OVF might be 28mm. I'm sure I read/heard that somewhere.

Whether that was intentional or not.....

I Can't remember what I thought about the ovf at the time other than not liking it. My comment about the ovf and the wide adapter is just what I remember reading at the time I thought about getting one. As someone who gave up on the ovf and only used the evf and screen it didn't matter to me.
 
Just on the 24-240mm and I've probably said this a lot :D

My first DSLR lens was a Sigma 28-300mm and by modern standards it was a poor lens but but it did make a good day out and holiday lens and I still look at pictures taken with it. I think these long zooms are worth a look if you want the range rather than image quality.
 
As I said, I've used superzooms a lot and a huge fan of them so I'm not saying the 24-240mm is bad just because it's a superzoom which I find is a common sentiment but because it's a genuinely bad lens even for a superzoom. I don't want people making the same costly mistake I did.
 
Last edited:
I've had a few super-zooms. Quality can vary from tolerable to making you want to weep at the otherwise great images they spoil. I have a picture printed 24x16 of a river in Morzine, and I can only look at the centre of the picture. If I'd used the Sony 18-55 kit lens, image quality would have been much higher instead of the using the Sigma 18-250. I have an old sigma 28-200 adapted to E mount, and it's less poor than some much more recent super zooms.
 
I Can't remember what I thought about the ovf at the time other than not liking it. My comment about the ovf and the wide adapter is just what I remember reading at the time I thought about getting one. As someone who gave up on the ovf and only used the evf and screen it didn't matter to me.

I wasn't talking about liking it or anything like that.

The framelines are there for the '35mm' frame. I think the whole OVF (disregarding the framelines) is around the 28mm field of view is what I was getting at. So with the WLC someone may still be able to frame and shoot using the OVF.
 
I wasn't talking about liking it or anything like that.

The framelines are there for the '35mm' frame. I think the whole OVF (disregarding the framelines) is around the 28mm field of view is what I was getting at. So with the WLC someone may still be able to frame and shoot using the OVF.

I was explaining what I read at the time and the potential drawback when using the ovf not getting into a debate about personal views.

Googling today seems to say the same thing I read at the time but as I never went ahead and bought it I don't know for sure. If anyone has one maybe they can confirm if you can see the whole frame or not but of course the lens and its adapter will block a percentage of the ovf and that might be more of a problem than potentially not showing the whole frame. I thought about it but didn't bother but with the evf the problem or problems would go away. I did have a similar adapter for MFT. They add to the bulk but they give you the wider view,
 
Just a few superzoom memories taken with my Canon 300D.

110_1010.jpg

114_1453-r.jpg

114_1485.jpg

115_1508-R.jpg

In that last one if I zoom in I can read the number plates on those cars. It wasn't a great lens but if I was into zooms and didn't mind the bulk and weight I might think about one for days out and holidays. With a prime too :D
 
Have you thought about the 24mm f2.8 G? If you don't need f1.4 or the bulk and weight that come with it.

I don't think a 24mm could replace a more normal lens like a 35, 40 or 50mm for me but 24 or 28mm makes a great addition. I have the Sony 28mm f2 but I have a few issues with that lens and have more recently used the 24mm f2.8 G more.

I did have a brief look, but it was the prospect of getting the Master lens at what seems like quite a good price that appealed. The faster speed would be handy for those indoor shots. I think I'll still with the 40mm for a while and if I find myself needed a wider angle, then I can revisit this.
 
I was explaining what I read at the time and the potential drawback when using the ovf not getting into a debate about personal views.

Googling today seems to say the same thing I read at the time but as I never went ahead and bought it I don't know for sure. If anyone has one maybe they can confirm if you can see the whole frame or not but of course the lens and its adapter will block a percentage of the ovf and that might be more of a problem than potentially not showing the whole frame. I thought about it but didn't bother but with the evf the problem or problems would go away. I did have a similar adapter for MFT. They add to the bulk but they give you the wider view,

:ROFLMAO:

I'm literally saying (from my first post) that the "framelines" are for 35mm.

The whole OVF view (disregarding the framelines exist) is supposed to be around 28mm. So someone could use the OVF with the WLC.

It's pretty simple.
 
I did have a brief look, but it was the prospect of getting the Master lens at what seems like quite a good price that appealed. The faster speed would be handy for those indoor shots. I think I'll still with the 40mm for a while and if I find myself needed a wider angle, then I can revisit this.

I must admit, one thing I do miss is having a f1.4 AF lens so I do see the appeal.

I never had a wide aperture lens in my film days and got my first f1.4 when I had Canon APS-C DSLRs, a Sigma 30mm f1.4. These days I really want more compact kit and the modern f1.4's are really a bit big for me to be comfortable with. If there was a f1.4 the size of the Sony f1.8/f2 primes I'd probably have one even though I really don't need the light gathering ability apart from a couple of shots per year.
 
:ROFLMAO:

I'm literally saying (from my first post) that the "framelines" are for 35mm.

The whole OVF view (disregarding the framelines exist) is supposed to be around 28mm. So someone could use the OVF with the WLC.

It's pretty simple.

Well no, it isn't pretty simple at all. I know what the frame lines are and see my comment on possible lens encroachment into the frame.

I'm not going to continue with this as I only posted to point out possible issues and I'm starting to look like a Fuji basher when I'm not. I'm just being a bit pedantic on the use of adapters on the X100 series when using the OVF and remembering that the ovf is a part of the appeal of these cameras for some people.

Anyway. Back to Sony I hope. Lesson learned... Don't raise issues with the Fuji crowd. Let them get on with it.
 
Last edited:
Couple from last week - Went to Wales to climb some mountains and work on my fear of heights. I get wobbly just standing on a chair, and get full on "call of the void" at serious heights.

The plan was to do Cnicht since it's considered an easy scramble, and if all went well, maybe try the south ridge of Tryfan.

First sight of Tryfan confirmed I had overestimated my bravery.

On day 1 Cnicht was completely socked in, so we went back to the Tryfan/Ogwen area for some photos instead. We went up Pen yr Ole Wen (opposite Tryfan) for some photos from an area about halfway up, but after stopping there and having some lunch, we decided to keep going up until our bravery ran out. If you know the track - we got up to the gully scramble near the top.

On day 2 we did most of Cnicht until weather cut it short. Honestly I'm not sure I'd have made it all the way anyway, but would have been fun to try. We watched a big wall of weather heading towards us, which made us nervous, and then mountain rescue kept circling us in the helicopter and stopping to stare at us occasionally... We took that to mean we should probably bail.

Day 3 was our last day, and we decided to just take an easy win. Moel Siabod was opposite the hotel, so after a quick 10 minutes of research found that there is a hard way up, and a couple of easy ways down. We decided to just go up and down the easy way, which started about 100m down the road from the hotel.
Long story short, there's actually a hard way, and intermediate way, and an easy way... We accidentally took the intermediate way. We got most of the way until my head just gave up and decided to give me a mild panic attack.

We were expecting an easy route, so as it got tougher we became less and less sure that it was in fact the right way. Had I known it was correct, I might have tried it, it was only a small scramble up and over a shoulder - but we didn't know what was up there, if it would get worse etc, so ultimately decided to bail again. Having done more research once we got back, I found out once that little section was done it was an easy stroll to the summit!

So yeah, didn't get to the top of anything, but ultimately got what I wanted - To find my limits and push them a bit.


Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr
 
Couple from last week - Went to Wales to climb some mountains and work on my fear of heights. I get wobbly just standing on a chair, and get full on "call of the void" at serious heights.

The plan was to do Cnicht since it's considered an easy scramble, and if all went well, maybe try the south ridge of Tryfan.

First sight of Tryfan confirmed I had overestimated my bravery.

On day 1 Cnicht was completely socked in, so we went back to the Tryfan/Ogwen area for some photos instead. We went up Pen yr Ole Wen (opposite Tryfan) for some photos from an area about halfway up, but after stopping there and having some lunch, we decided to keep going up until our bravery ran out. If you know the track - we got up to the gully scramble near the top.

On day 2 we did most of Cnicht until weather cut it short. Honestly I'm not sure I'd have made it all the way anyway, but would have been fun to try. We watched a big wall of weather heading towards us, which made us nervous, and then mountain rescue kept circling us in the helicopter and stopping to stare at us occasionally... We took that to mean we should probably bail.

Day 3 was our last day, and we decided to just take an easy win. Moel Siabod was opposite the hotel, so after a quick 10 minutes of research found that there is a hard way up, and a couple of easy ways down. We decided to just go up and down the easy way, which started about 100m down the road from the hotel.
Long story short, there's actually a hard way, and intermediate way, and an easy way... We accidentally took the intermediate way. We got most of the way until my head just gave up and decided to give me a mild panic attack.

We were expecting an easy route, so as it got tougher we became less and less sure that it was in fact the right way. Had I known it was correct, I might have tried it, it was only a small scramble up and over a shoulder - but we didn't know what was up there, if it would get worse etc, so ultimately decided to bail again. Having done more research once we got back, I found out once that little section was done it was an easy stroll to the summit!

So yeah, didn't get to the top of anything, but ultimately got what I wanted - To find my limits and push them a bit.


Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr
Lovely
 
Couple from last week - Went to Wales to climb some mountains and work on my fear of heights. I get wobbly just standing on a chair, and get full on "call of the void" at serious heights.

The plan was to do Cnicht since it's considered an easy scramble, and if all went well, maybe try the south ridge of Tryfan.

First sight of Tryfan confirmed I had overestimated my bravery.

On day 1 Cnicht was completely socked in, so we went back to the Tryfan/Ogwen area for some photos instead. We went up Pen yr Ole Wen (opposite Tryfan) for some photos from an area about halfway up, but after stopping there and having some lunch, we decided to keep going up until our bravery ran out. If you know the track - we got up to the gully scramble near the top.

On day 2 we did most of Cnicht until weather cut it short. Honestly I'm not sure I'd have made it all the way anyway, but would have been fun to try. We watched a big wall of weather heading towards us, which made us nervous, and then mountain rescue kept circling us in the helicopter and stopping to stare at us occasionally... We took that to mean we should probably bail.

Day 3 was our last day, and we decided to just take an easy win. Moel Siabod was opposite the hotel, so after a quick 10 minutes of research found that there is a hard way up, and a couple of easy ways down. We decided to just go up and down the easy way, which started about 100m down the road from the hotel.
Long story short, there's actually a hard way, and intermediate way, and an easy way... We accidentally took the intermediate way. We got most of the way until my head just gave up and decided to give me a mild panic attack.

We were expecting an easy route, so as it got tougher we became less and less sure that it was in fact the right way. Had I known it was correct, I might have tried it, it was only a small scramble up and over a shoulder - but we didn't know what was up there, if it would get worse etc, so ultimately decided to bail again. Having done more research once we got back, I found out once that little section was done it was an easy stroll to the summit!

So yeah, didn't get to the top of anything, but ultimately got what I wanted - To find my limits and push them a bit.


Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Lovely amount of detail in these.
 
Thanks for the 24-240mm info... I'm opting that out it's a pity though Canon version is so good that I sold my 24-105 and 70-200mm.
What about the Tamron 25-200mm, it gets favourable reviews?
 
Ram shortage?

I keep meaning to buy a new laptop so I suppose this means they'll be hard to find or expensive.

 
Couple from last week - Went to Wales to climb some mountains and work on my fear of heights. I get wobbly just standing on a chair, and get full on "call of the void" at serious heights.

The plan was to do Cnicht since it's considered an easy scramble, and if all went well, maybe try the south ridge of Tryfan.

First sight of Tryfan confirmed I had overestimated my bravery.

On day 1 Cnicht was completely socked in, so we went back to the Tryfan/Ogwen area for some photos instead. We went up Pen yr Ole Wen (opposite Tryfan) for some photos from an area about halfway up, but after stopping there and having some lunch, we decided to keep going up until our bravery ran out. If you know the track - we got up to the gully scramble near the top.

On day 2 we did most of Cnicht until weather cut it short. Honestly I'm not sure I'd have made it all the way anyway, but would have been fun to try. We watched a big wall of weather heading towards us, which made us nervous, and then mountain rescue kept circling us in the helicopter and stopping to stare at us occasionally... We took that to mean we should probably bail.

Day 3 was our last day, and we decided to just take an easy win. Moel Siabod was opposite the hotel, so after a quick 10 minutes of research found that there is a hard way up, and a couple of easy ways down. We decided to just go up and down the easy way, which started about 100m down the road from the hotel.
Long story short, there's actually a hard way, and intermediate way, and an easy way... We accidentally took the intermediate way. We got most of the way until my head just gave up and decided to give me a mild panic attack.

We were expecting an easy route, so as it got tougher we became less and less sure that it was in fact the right way. Had I known it was correct, I might have tried it, it was only a small scramble up and over a shoulder - but we didn't know what was up there, if it would get worse etc, so ultimately decided to bail again. Having done more research once we got back, I found out once that little section was done it was an easy stroll to the summit!

So yeah, didn't get to the top of anything, but ultimately got what I wanted - To find my limits and push them a bit.


Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Tryfan by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Awesome. I remember the 'fun' I had trying to get up that stone wall area in the dark for sunrise :ROFLMAO:
 
I might be wrong, but I think the whole OVF might be 28mm. I'm sure I read/heard that somewhere.

Whether that was intentional or not.....

Well no, it isn't pretty simple at all. I know what the frame lines are and see my comment on possible lens encroachment into the frame.

I'm not going to continue with this as I only posted to point out possible issues and I'm starting to look like a Fuji basher when I'm not. I'm just being a bit pedantic on the use of adapters on the X100 series when using the OVF and remembering that the ovf is a part of the appeal of these cameras for some people.

Anyway. Back to Sony I hope. Lesson learned... Don't raise issues with the Fuji crowd. Let them get on with it.

Alan, I posted on this subject to say that the WHOLE OVF is around 28mm because of the talk about the WLC. That is it. No "the OVF is better than the EVF". No "Only losers use the EVF". No "Fuji shooters are better than Sony shooters". Nothing. Nothing at all, simply that the whole OVF is around 28mm.

Can you please try not to get all uptight & come across offended about these things. It starts to ruin the mood in the thread.
 
A mate of mine caught the milky way up there a few weeks ago. Wild camped on top of The Glyders.

Must have been amazing. We got the tiniest glimpse through a hole in the clouds and it was like nothing I've ever seen. I've spent many nights out with a telescope in the new forest, but this was a whole other level, like the sky was iridescent!

Definitely gonna take a longer trip sometime to get a proper shot at it. It will be a long time before you catch me up the Glyders though! :LOL:
 
Alan, I posted on this subject to say that the WHOLE OVF is around 28mm because of the talk about the WLC. That is it. No "the OVF is better than the EVF". No "Only losers use the EVF". No "Fuji shooters are better than Sony shooters". Nothing. Nothing at all, simply that the whole OVF is around 28mm.

Can you please try not to get all uptight & come across offended about these things. It starts to ruin the mood in the thread.

TBH Lee I think we're constantly at cross purposes. I'll have one last go out of politeness and because I always feel need to be clear.

I don't care about opinions on ovf v evf. I tried the ovf and for various reasons I just used the evf but others can do as they wish and as one of the selling points of the X100 range is the ovf good luck to those who want to use it.

My point was just if with the wide adapter fitted the whole of the frame will be visible or not. I know what the ovf it's supposed to be but back when I looked at getting one for my X100/s/f I read that you couldn't see the whole frame with it fitted and Googling today (I've just tried again) tells me the same thing. This is why I asked the question at 109653 if anyone with the kit could confirm either way.

I know that if indeed the whole frame isn't visible you can still use it as was the case with my Canon APS-C DSLR's which didn't give full coverage. There's then the issue of lens encroachment with RF style cameras, it used to bother me but again it's only a percentage.

But remembering that none of this really matters as I think Toby has said he only use the evf.

Assuming there's no hard feelings I'm happy to never mention this again unless I think about buying one again and if I do I'll ask in the Fuji thread :D
 
Last edited:
Ram shortage?

I keep meaning to buy a new laptop so I suppose this means they'll be hard to find or expensive.

I priced a new MacBook Pro upgrading one level up from what I have now, so 64GB > 128GB and 2TB SSD > 4TB SSD, obviously it will have the newer CPU from M1 Max > M5 MAX and it comes out at an eye watering £7999 :eek::eek::eek: (nope, that’s not a typo)

There’s no way I’m paying £8k for a laptop, it’s ludicrous :mad:
 
Back
Top