The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How much? Age/condition?

One month old tomorrow. Bought from amazon uk. Mint, boxed and as new as hasn’t really been used. Was going to return it but been too busy to sort out and needed to be sent back by tomorrow.

£220 delivered. Can post tomorrow.

And I have the 24mm if you are looking for that instead :D

How much are you thinking of selling it for? And how come your selling it? Have been tempted to get one, but not looked to much yet in to how they are etc yet, other than the size appealing

Watched DPreviews on the 24 GM, very neutral, didn't make me want to buy it over the Sigma

Watched Manny Ortiz an instantly I want one as I have grown to really appreciate a lens that doesn't have CA.

Then I watched Fro and his shots also have CA and would pay the money for a lens that has great CA control but Fro has tons in his.…so now I am torn again

p.s. size don't matter, the Sigma is not heavier than a 85/1.4

This may have been done to death, but is there any way to get square format on camera (like on iphone you have photo,square,video,pano etc), camera being the A7ii ?

How much are you thinking of selling it for? And how come your selling it? Have been tempted to get one, but not looked to much yet in to how they are etc yet, other than the size appealing

£225 delivered

Considering the new GM so this will have to eventually go... Not in a hurry to sell at the moment so take your time ;)

Without resorting to the G Master lenses, what are the best Sony FE zoom options in the 24-70mm ish range?

Cheers,

Simon.

28-70 seems ok to be honest! Small, light, made of plastic but feels better built than a lot of kit lenses. Zoom is tight and foucs is snappy.

28-70 seems ok to be honest! Small, light, made of plastic but feels better built than a lot of kit lenses. Zoom is tight and foucs is snappy.

Although might sell mine to fund a 35mm!

If you need to upgrade but can't stretch to G Master prices... the £749 Tamrom 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD seems to get good reviews. :)

If you need to upgrade but can't stretch to G Master prices... the £749 Tamrom 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD seems to get good reviews. :)

Don't use the range much - so probably just get teh 35mm Samyang, unless the Sony one is THAT much better?!

Sony 24mm f1.4, Sigma 24mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.8 just for comparison.

Untitled-1.jpg

The Sigma hood will make it look bigger.

I hadn't realised that the Sony was so much more than the Sigma but looking at the cost v bulk of these I doubt very much I'll be buying either.

Last edited:
Sony 24mm f1.4, Sigma 24mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.8 just for comparison.

View attachment 134853

I hadn't realised that the Sony was so much more than the Sigma but looking at the cost v bulk of these I doubt very much I'll be buying either.

The long flange on the Sigma doesnt really help its size or looks! Guess they just adpated the existing DSLR version.

Last edited:

View attachment 134853

Take away the hood it looks like it's at MAX, an inch taller?

Steve Huff and the 24mm f1.4...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/...ster-fe-lens-in-hand-1399-and-ready-to-astro/

"The Sony 24 1.4 GM lens looks fantastic, has a manual aperture dial that can be “de-clicked” and is pretty small for a lens of this type. At $1399 it is also cheaper than the Canon and Nikon though more pricey than the Sigma. It beats them all on paper, but IMO each of these lenses offer up a little bit different kind of style and character. The Sony has no real “character” to speak of and is a little bit “sterile” even but this lens is for the perfectionists. Even with only a couple hours of using this lens, I can easily recommend it. It is a G Master after all, Sony’s top of the line, so how can you go wrong?"

I like the MFT stuff as it's incredibly fast and compact for what it's capable of so I can't see myself selling it anytime soon. Still undecided on the A7III.
I couldn’t bring myself to part with all my MFT gear. I’ve kept my E-m1 Mkii and the 60mm Macro lens for just the purpose of macro. It’s exactly as you describe, fast and light plus small so ideal for macro and nothing else Sony has for macro comes close enough in terms of features for me to make the change.
It would defy economics for me to sell my remaining MFT gear and replace it with Sony.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/...ster-fe-lens-in-hand-1399-and-ready-to-astro/

"The Sony 24 1.4 GM lens looks fantastic, has a manual aperture dial that can be “de-clicked” and is pretty small for a lens of this type. At $1399 it is also cheaper than the Canon and Nikon though more pricey than the Sigma. It beats them all on paper, but IMO each of these lenses offer up a little bit different kind of style and character. The Sony has no real “character” to speak of and is a little bit “sterile” even but this lens is for the perfectionists. Even with only a couple hours of using this lens, I can easily recommend it. It is a G Master after all, Sony’s top of the line, so how can you go wrong?"

From looking at his channel he much much prefer lenses with character, that’s mostly what he sings about. I know he recommends the Sony 24 GM but I would doubt he will own it himself.

How quick is the AF on the Samyang 35mm 2.8? Im guessing it will out perform the 28-70 at 35mm?

I shot a recent commercial video with a good friend down in a mine(I was extremely careful with my body and lens). His camera and 70-200/16-35 got completely drenched, this was consistent literally from 10am until almost 6pm

His camera still works perfectly fine. I also know another wedding videographer and his A7 gets totally drenched all the time and it still works fine

I think the weather sealing "issues" are nonsense

I shot a recent commercial video with a good friend down in a mine(I was extremely careful with my body and lens). His camera and 70-200/16-35 got completely drenched, this was consistent literally from 10am until almost 6pm

His camera still works perfectly fine. I also know another wedding videographer and his A7 gets totally drenched all the time and it still works fine

And may they always be for you and others. :)

On the flip side of the coin the videographer at my last wedding killed his A7RIII at a wedding a couple of weeks before in just normal rain. He was insistent that water gets in via the hotshoe although from what I had seen online seemed to suggest the battery door was the weak point.

It's the battery door that's the weakest point
On the flip side of the coin the videographer at my last wedding killed his A7RIII at a wedding a couple of weeks before in just normal rain. He was insistent that water gets in via the hotshoe although from what I had seen online seemed to suggest the battery door was the weak point.

Had the grip on lad. Always use the wee plastic protector on the flash mount

I'm considering buying a used A7II from WEX to go with my EM5MKII. They have one in at a reasonable price but it has some screen delamination. Is this a big problem with these cameras, is it fixable?

Had the grip on lad. Always use the wee plastic protector on the flash mount

I have started using them without the grips. I don't find hand holding that big a problem without a grip which I didn't really expect. The weight savings makes a real difference for me. Usually after a wedding I can really feel it in my back.

Will hang on to the grips for wet days though am sure there will plenty of those over the next few months.

I rather stupidly bought the Sony grips which feel like they are made out of paper.

Last edited:

Character looks good to me.

https://www.albertdros.com/single-post/2018/09/20/Sony-24mm-f14-GM-First-Impressions

You’re not short on the camera front then!

I literally have a back up system...

I don't have any Sony flashes yet so in the evening I have to switch to 100% Canon....meaning some point tomorrow I will put all the Sony stuff away and get the Canon stuff out.

I bet very few people if any, ever has ever tried that before!

Back