The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you look in the Shopping section lots of people have used them - only issue is that it is not a local guarantee so if anything goes wrong you would have to send it to HK.

For that reason I would pay the extra for Panamoz....

Yeah I've just done a search funnily enough thank you! Some posters have mentioned having a UK guarantee which sounds promising. Panamoz is looking good price wise too in fairness, need to hold out for Black Friday too I think and see if there's any significant drop in price.

Has anyone bought from e Infinity before? They seem to have the A7iii with the 28-70 kit lens for less than £1800? Obviously looking at grey imports but amazed the price is what it is. Not heard of them before though?

I have used them for lens a couple of weeks ago (FE 85mm f/1.8), but for the camera I decided the extra £ was worth the warranty from Panamoz. No complaints with either so you pays your money and takes your chances. E-Infinity are unbeatable on price and very reliable.

If you look in the Shopping section lots of people have used them - only issue is that it is not a local guarantee so if anything goes wrong you would have to send it to HK.

For that reason I would pay the extra for Panamoz....

That is not correct. They do not send kit back to HK. You either send back to their Heathrow address for them to sort or more normally you agree to send your kit away for repair as necessary and e-infinity reimburse you. For instance if you have a Sony camera, you can send it to them for repair or a third party.

I don’t think Sony touch grey imports so I guess it would need to go to someone like fixation.

The rumor site links to a review of the Sony 24mm f1.4...

Rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...is-a-new-masterpiece-from-sony/#disqus_thread

Direct to the review...

https://sonyalpha.blog/2018/11/07/sony-24mm-f1-4-gm/

For those who don't want to click on the link here's the conclusion...

"The Sony 24mm F1.4 GM is a new masterpiece from Sony and well deserve its GM label. It is certainly one of the best 24mm if we consider all criteria together

Excellent sharpness wide open across the full field, even wide open (Note : for close distance corners are “only” very good at F1.4/F2)
  • Fast and accurate AF with very good Eye AF performance
  • Small and light
  • Excellent bokeh and very smooth background blur
  • Fast Aperture : F1.4 : perfect for low light
  • Very small focusing distance + F1.4 = perfect for small depth of field
  • Very good contrast and 3D effect at F1.4 for people portraits
  • No field curvature
  • Very low distorsion
  • Very low coma (suited for Astrophotography)
  • Suited for video thanks to click less aperture ring
  • Very good color rendition (but Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 is excellent)
  • Very well built, weather sealed.
There are however a few area where it is not “perfect”
  • Very small amount of CA
  • Resistance to flare is good but not excellent
  • Vignetting at F1.4 & F2 (a future Lightroom Lens profile will correct it)
  • Price (but in line with GM price range)
The lens is very versatile and will be the perfect choice for landscape, street photography, low light, architecture, people reportage, full body portraits, astrophotography, and this both in photo and in video."

Yes, yes it is.

dexr8CQ.jpg

Did something today that I haven't done for years, took a landscape type picture. Needs a person in it for me. Drove past and realised it's the spot I've been trying to find these last few weeks. The best of it is probably gone, and I'm a bit busy this next week :-( Only had the 35 so imagine what a 24 GM would have looked like ha

44968245585_93861999b7_b.jpg

And haven't stitched anything for years.. or probably since you can do it do it in LR.

45157336914_2613903680_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great optically but just found it a bit of a lump to lug around all day...
Thanks for the reply.
By the look of things no one has any negatives to put me off buying one. I am VERY tempted in the 24-70 GM too.

I'm popping into Castle Cameras Bournemouth later today, hopefully I make the right choice. [emoji3]

Thanks for the reply.
By the look of things no one has any negatives to put me off buying one. I am VERY tempted in the 24-70 GM too.

I'm popping into Castle Cameras Bournemouth later today, hopefully I make the right choice. [emoji3]

Having had both, I far preferred the 24-105. More range and very good optically.

Finally pull the plug and placed order for Sony A7 III and Tamron 28-75 F/2.8.
Should be here in a week (hopefully).

I was thinking of waiting a little bit more, but after the news this morning (Brexit) not sure if the pound will keep its value in the next few weeks (I hope I am wrong about the pound)

P.S. Just tested the Sony FE 50mm, which I received this morning.
The focus speed its not it best side. but it is fine.
and I guess on the A7 III will be better (now tested on A7R II ver4.0 + lens ver 3.0)
- Dark Green - by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Last edited:
Had the work van broken into in London on Monday and the scumbags took my A7iii, plus filters, lenses, flash etc.

I should be able to claim on our house insurance but until then I'm going to have to go back to the clunky old Canon 70D :(

Ouch...hope you get a result..

Am I the only one who doesn't have an A7III? Maybe.

A7 and 35mm f2.8 and the last of the bird food goes to the ducks.

kdav6GA.jpg

Iv got a couple questions for the Sony a7x users , bit of background , a good friend of mine bought a a7r2 at release with a 24-70 f4 and has used it a fair bit but mostly in auto mode , he is now looking to improve with it , he's handed it to me to learn hoe it works so I can go through it with him .
So my questions are does anybody have any set up tips for making it user friendly ( I'm finding the menus and terminology a bit well different ) ?
And my next question is , how well do these perform with smart adaptors with say canon l lenses ( due to the frightening cost of the undoubted brilliant Sony lenses ) ?

This has probably been answered before so please feel free to point me in the right direction .

As I keep saying I'm a bit torn. I hardly get any time to go out to pursue this as a hobby so why bother buying expensive new stuff??? But when I do get time why shouldn't I enjoy shiny new stuff I can afford to buy??

As I keep saying I'm a bit torn. I hardly get any time to go out to pursue this as a hobby so why bother buying expensive new stuff??? But when I do get time why shouldn't I enjoy shiny new stuff I can afford to buy??
BUY!!!

Exactly.... Buy

Ha, but seriously, are the older models really so redundant? What do you really gain besides better ergos and extra video stuff
Better AF, dynamic range, ISO performance, EVF, higher FPS etc
Also longer battery life

BUY!

Ha, but seriously, are the older models really so redundant? What do you really gain besides better ergos and extra video stuff

One thing that interests me is eye detect.

I've only recently started using face detect and to be honest I think it's great as it allows me to take casual shots which I could have only got before by zone focusing as moving the focus point or focusing and recomposing both have their problems. Face detect is better than zone focusing as I don't have to shoot at zone focus apertures and can instead shoot at wide apertures if I want.

That little shot of Mrs WW emptying the bird seed bag wont win any prizes but it would have been impossible without face detect. I'd still have taken a picture but it would have been a different picture of a different moment. The only way I could take that picture of that moment was to frame and shoot very quickly and moving the AF point or focusing and recomposing wouldn't have been quick enough. Shooting at 35mm, 3m or so at f5.6/f8 would have got me the moment but it would have been a different picture to that f2.8 one.

I can only imagine that eye detect and faster focusing is even better.

Last edited:
Are they needed for what shoots?
More DR and better ISO would help as I often take pictures in crap light and in places that need higher DR if I want to stop the highlights blowing and need to raise the shadows. Even an A7 struggles in Normanby light :D

Back