The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Does this not cone with lens hood

Can I ask other than Lightroom or photoshop what editing software does everyone use? The reason I’m asking is that I’m seriously thinking of getting off the Adobe subscription bandwagon. I moved to subscription about 14-15 months ago, justified on dropping my zenfolio website in favour of using the bundled Adobe Portfolio website (made the yearly subscription more cost effective). To cut a long story short I’ve been waiting on a reply regarding customisable Spark page addresses. They have confirmed today they aren’t going to progress it further therefore with the poor SEO Portfolio probably isn’t really fit for purpose. That makes the subscription less justifiable if I move the website somewhere else.

I've been using Luminar and On1 Photo for the last couple of months. They have their good points but it's taking me a while to get to where I was with Photoshop. The biggest thing I miss (and I've been using On1 a lot more than Luminar) is being able to do eye replacements like I could in PS.

I’ve been using Luminar and keep trying others but going back to LR cc soon just miss it

No one using capture one pro?
See u get standard free and full is cheaper for just the Sony version
Yes i swapped to it from lightroom, great software the auto functions work extremely well.

how are the 28 f2 and 50 1.8?

sold half my Nikon kit so have enough for the body and one lens just now, was going to go for the 85 but I'm away on holiday in 2ish weeks and want to take this so not sure if that would be to limiting.
I thought I could grab a used 28 or 50 and re sell it a month later as this might be a better bet..

my planned set up is 55/85 and 28-75 but need to order what im taking this week and the rest when I return/manage to sell the rest of my kit.

28 F2 is excellent. Solid build too. I’m selling one soon because I just don’t use it and it’s just a waste sitting at home doing nothing.

Thanks will have a look over it. Still unsure what exactly to get.

Got the a7iii and 85 ordered and was planning on getting the 28-75 plus a 55 when my last Nikon lens sells. So not sure if it’s worth adding the 28. The versatility of the zoom would be missed if I don’t get that and go with the 28.

I’m not sure if I need wider than 28 also. 24 was tight for some of my holiday stuff in the city(Shanghai).

There’s a lot of over lapping ,though on Nikon I had 14/50/85/24-70/70-200 and the 24-70/85 were my most used.

Either that or go 28-75/85/135 which I could at a push just not sure on sigma.

Been thinking getting a 35mm lens today but which I don’t know now I’ve decided stick with Sony

Samyang/Sony are tiny little lenses. Had both and happy with both. Sony feels like it has glass in it, Samyang feels like it was from a cracker. IQ wise I found them both good, but colours very different.

My mates is selling his as moving on to 1.4 glass. Minty fresh condition.

Can I ask other than Lightroom or photoshop what editing software does everyone use? The reason I’m asking is that I’m seriously thinking of getting off the Adobe subscription bandwagon. I moved to subscription about 14-15 months ago, justified on dropping my zenfolio website in favour of using the bundled Adobe Portfolio website (made the yearly subscription more cost effective). To cut a long story short I’ve been waiting on a reply regarding customisable Spark page addresses. They have confirmed today they aren’t going to progress it further therefore with the poor SEO Portfolio probably isn’t really fit for purpose. That makes the subscription less justifiable if I move the website somewhere else.

I've been wondering this as well as I just realised the A7III won't work with the non-subscription Lightroom. Has anyone tried converting to DNG on import instead to work around it?

Hey guys, quick question for you A7iii owners - if you could swap your A7iii for an A7riii for no cost, would you? Assuming all else is equal.

Hey guys, quick question for you A7iii owners - if you could swap your A7iii for an A7riii for no cost, would you? Assuming all else is equal.

Depends what you use your camera for really.

I have considered the A7RIII a few times but ended up going with the A7III, 3 times instead because the a.f performance was more important too me than the extra resolution. Plus the larger files are a pain in the bum.

On the flip side the A7RIII is worth more so I guess you swap them sell, buy another A7III and pocket the difference if you could be bothered with the hassle.

Not bothered about the large files or resolution - AF is more important to me too. And can't be bothered with buying/selling, already have too much kit that needs selling! I'll stick with my A7iii. If it were an A9 however...

Nah, I may for an A9 though.

Definitely for me too ( I changed from the A9 to the A7R3 )

Apart from the resolution what made you switch in that direction? I think you're the first person I've heard that went that way.

Depends what you use your camera for really.

I have considered the A7RIII a few times but ended up going with the A7III, 3 times instead because the a.f performance was more important too me than the extra resolution. Plus the larger files are a pain in the bum.

On the flip side the A7RIII is worth more so I guess you swap them sell, buy another A7III and pocket the difference if you could be bothered with the hassle.
How much difference is there in the AF performance? Just interested to see how much difference there as I moved from Nikon to the A7R3 (I was originally thinking of the a73 but got a well priced a7r3 off here). So far I’ve found the AF is good enough for what I do. The extra resolution does help me when cropping. The files are big, 40mB or 80mB RAW’s. Processed JPEGS can be huge too (as I found out when sending in some images for a competition recently where the upload had a 10MB limit).

I haven't used one but I'd take that trade, reasonably confident the higher resolution EVF alone would make it worthwhile and probably pixelshift too but I wouldn't pay for the privilege (maybe whenever they announce the A7R4 :wacky:).

I went with the 3 over the R3 because of the 'slightly' better AF and tracking, the 'slightly' better dynamic range, the 'slightly better' low light ISO performance and the fact it was the newer camera. I have a tendency to overshoot so I didn't want to be dealing with a large quantity of huge files everytime I went out with the camera. It just felt more of an allrounder as opposed to a 'hi-res' model.

Things I wish the A7 III had that the A7R3 has? Mainly the better EVF as my old eyes aren't the best and I manual focus often, erm, I said "things" but there's only really that one thing :p

I think the thing with Sony's current FF range is there is not a bad model amongst them so you really can't go wrong with any model.

Last edited:
Probably would consider swapping, if only to give it a go at no cost and if you don't like you can also trade back to a a7iii and cash from someone

Anyone want an LA-EA4 adapter for the £150 that I paid for it? I'm about to return mine to MPB using the 14 day option (to fund a 24-105) but it seems a decent price.

Q2 seems to lag but maybe this isn't a big deal for reasons including almost any kit is arguably good enough now and also because judging by what I've seen online over the years some Leica users have been blowing their highlights to bits and not caring for years :D

And as no one can take a joke these days that last bit is just in fun :D but there are a lot of Leica shots about with large areas blown :D

It does look a nice camera though and I'm a bit surprised that Sony hasn't improved the RX1 line to fully compete, maybe the RX1 line sells well enough despite arguably being thrashed by the Leica in some areas or maybe there's just not enough money in this market sector for Sony to try really hard to beat Leica.

Again I can’t get eye af to work

Back