The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I gave that lens an absolute roasting on here a while back after I got one for my daughter for her A7.

It’s actually much better on my A7III in terms of a.f accuracy anyway.

It’s a toy, but ideal for the 6400 when I decide to get one. Couldn’t resist at the price.

Seem to be following your purchases, am also toying with a Hadley Pro. Bought the small version and love it, thinking whether two cameras with lenses and two additional lenses will fit well? Maybe a TT350 in a front pocket?

It’s a toy, but ideal for the 6400 when I decide to get one. Couldn’t resist at the price.

Seem to be following your purchases, am also toying with a Hadley Pro. Bought the small version and love it, thinking whether two cameras with lenses and two additional lenses will fit well? Maybe a TT350 in a front pocket?

Trying to buy an A6400 is doing my head in, there is apparently a shortage of the 18-135 kit lens, so much so that MPB are currently selling them used at more than the new price. They can’t be got with any of the grey importers at the moment and none of them seem to know when they will be back into stock and it’s the best option for me for the kit I want to put together with the A6400.

I am looking at other options now including maybe an A7RII as in crop mode it will give me extra reach with my own lenses. Will have to make move either way within the next week or so.

Just bought and sold the Hadley Pro again it wasn’t comfortable for me with 2 bodies although they did just about fit.

Last edited:
Just colours and shapes with my A7 and Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.7 MD.

JCV7lBg.jpg

bUh0xng.jpg

5mvnyIE.jpg

Marking the spot of the cottage where James Cook was born.

BlA36si.jpg

One more squirrel, 50% crop.

cbH4cmg.jpg

I think it's a lovely lens :D

Last edited:
The rumor site is reporting a $600 price drop on the A7II and 28-70mm to $998 at various places in the USA. I wonder if this'll happen in the UK too. It seems to be £1159.99 on Amazon UK now. Down from £1649 they say.

Last edited:
The rumor site is reporting a $600 price drop on the A7II and 28-70mm to $998 at various places in the USA. I wonder if this'll happen in the UK too. It seems to be £1159.99 on Amazon UK now. Down from £1649 they say.

They are only about £700 or so grey or where the last time I looked.

They are only about £700 or so grey or where the last time I looked.

For the camera or camera + kit lens? Either way that's a good price for someone like me who doesn't need the latest fast focusing abilities.

£899 for the kit on Efinity, £749 body only. I don't know how good or indeed bad the kit lens is, but for £150 it has to be worth having

£899 for the kit on Efinity, £749 body only. I don't know how good or indeed bad the kit lens is, but for £150 it has to be worth having

It gets its share of bashing but I think it's a decent or even good standard range variable aperture zoom.

The good points for me are that it's relatively small and light, hardly extends and is sharp enough for me from wide open and stopped down it gets better throughout the frame. Being honest with myself this lens and a fast prime would cover most of what I want.

If you're ever tempted you can have some example shots so you can make your own mind up. Or you could just Google your way to examples. I'd say it's easily worth the money if you're happy with the zoom range and apertures.

Last edited:
It gets its share of bashing but I think it's a decent or even good standard range variable aperture zoom.

The good points for me are that it's relatively small and light, hardly extends and is sharp enough for me from wide open and stopped down it gets better throughout the frame. Being honest with myself this lens and a fast prime would cover most of what I want.

If you're ever tempted you can have some example shots so you can make your own mind up. Or you could just Google your way to examples. I'd say it's easily worth the money if you're happy with the zoom range and apertures.

Like all kit lenses I'm sure it's fine for general purpose, they never really blow you away but can surprise at times.

Like all kit lenses I'm sure it's fine for general purpose, they never really blow you away but can surprise at times.

As I'm just sat here... I've just Googled reviews and looked at the first few that came up and they say it's very sharp in the central area and I agree. The reviews do mention distortion but for many subjects it'll likely be irrelevant and unnoticeable. I can't remember correcting any distortion in any of my pictures but I do apply the profile in CS5.

I'm not a great zoom user but as I said, being honest a decent standard zoom (which I think this is) and a fast prime would cover most of what I need.

As I'm just sat here... I've just Googled reviews and looked at the first few that came up and they say it's very sharp in the central area and I agree. The reviews do mention distortion but for many subjects it'll likely be irrelevant and unnoticeable. I can't remember correcting any distortion in any of my pictures but I do apply the profile in CS5.

I'm not a great zoom user but as I said, being honest a decent standard zoom (which I think this is) and a fast prime would cover most of what I need.

Pretty much same here, any system I ever used I went through a pile of lenses over time but always ended up with just the 1-2 ol' reliables. The only native lens I have atm for M43 is the Olympus 12-40, and that would have been traded back in for primes by now if it weren't such a great little performer. In general though I get bored of lenses fast, which is why I love adapting cheapo ones, if they don't work out it's no big loss.

Did a bit more investigation on the A6400 today. My main issues are I want to keep it light and easy for family hols etc.

As a body apart from no joystick the A6400 seems dead on. The problems is lenses, the kit lens is apparently atrocious. The 18-135 kit lens looks a better option but it’s a bigger lens. Trying to work out if I could make do with that my 55mm f/1.8 and the crappy wee Samyang 24mm to keep everything as light as possible. I wouldn’t want to be using this with any of my work lenses as it’s likey to get bashed about a bit.

On the flip side I have also been looking at some mft stuff but the difference in the a.f with those would probably do my head in.

The Sony 16-70 is an amazing lens.
Well worth a look ;)

The Sony 16-70 is an amazing lens.
Well worth a look ;)

I did have a look at it, every review seems to state its got very poor corner performance, lots of distortion and isn't worth the money. Which is a pity, because it nice and small and light weight.

Last edited:
Pretty much same here, any system I ever used I went through a pile of lenses over time but always ended up with just the 1-2 ol' reliables. The only native lens I have atm for M43 is the Olympus 12-40, and that would have been traded back in for primes by now if it weren't such a great little performer. In general though I get bored of lenses fast, which is why I love adapting cheapo ones, if they don't work out it's no big loss.

I had the original Panasonic 14-42mm variable aperture zoom and for what it was I thought it was very good. The almost complete lack of distortion or other nasties may have been at least in part due to in camera or post capture processing but I don't think it matters how we get there, the end result with that lens was IMO good. These days I have the tiny prime sized 14-42mm mega ois and it's the same story but in a much smaller package, it gives a good end product from wide open and in fact I mostly use that lens wide open. I also have the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 which I think is outstanding. I do use the tiny mega ois lens sometimes because it makes for a very small and flexible camera and lens package.

PS.
When extended that original Panasonic 14-42mm is about the same size as the relatively small for a FF lens Sony 28-70mm.

PPS.
If some of the better MFT lenses could be scaled up to cover FF I think they'd probably be outstanding and very well regarded lenses.

Last edited:
It's a lot when you don't even get autofocus, which is Sony's strongest point.

"best 50mm lens in the world" apparently ;)

I think he's funny, can't be taken too seriously really [though he is often right] as he slates pretty much every manufacturer - he uses M43 but labels it 'Micro Four Losers' for example :ROFLMAO: That's his second channel, his other one is Vegetable Police, concentrates on diets and health, not so much into that one but he has over 100k subs there. Same wit, just different subject matter.

I think he's funny, can't be taken too seriously really [though he is often right] as he slates pretty much every manufacturer - he uses M43 but labels it 'Micro Four Losers' for example :ROFLMAO: That's his second channel, his other one is Vegetable Police, concentrates on diets and health, not so much into that one but he has over 100k subs there. Same wit, just different subject matter.

He is a complete tool, I also find him hilarious.

Yup. Often funny.

I wonder how much money people with 100k viewers make on the net? I think... a lot.

Yup. Often funny.

I wonder how much money people with 100k viewers make on the net? I think... a lot.

Not that much my eldest used to have a youtube channel with just over 250k subscribers.

It was for kids toys, didn't make much money but she loved the freebies.

You need to get into the million plus subscribers to make any serious rent.

It's a lot when you don't even get autofocus, which is Sony's strongest point.

I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2 and like them or not image quality wise they're very well made and will possibly last a lifetime. I think the price is ok especially when you remember that some of the film era primes that these days go for £15-60 were £600+ in their day and IMO the modern Voigtlanders are vastly superior in a number of ways.

One thing against these Voigtlanders though is that they're Sony mount and therefore not quite as portable as the film era primes if you change systems.

Yup. Often funny.

The key is consistency I believe, regular uploads and the views count more than your subs. Advertisers and sponsors will seek out channels with 100K+ and I imagine you make a lot more from that than your sub count alone. Take Casey as an example, some of his more popular videos have up to 2.2M views. I see he's at 129K subs on his other channel now [just the other week he was showing off his 100K youtube badge - they send you a framed bronze/silver/gold badge when you hit 100/500K and 1M] steady growth is also attractive to sponsors

Last edited:
Back