The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

28mm f/2 for me I think.

As I've been saying, I do hope it's as good as the 55mm f1.8. I'd much rather that than a cheapo lens with slow focusing.

I am put off by the size though and I'll give this a lot of thought after the reviews come out before deciding if I'll get one or not. The A7 and 35mm f2.8 is just so compact and good that I'm not sure that I want the increased bulk but if carrying the kit in a bag I don't suppose it'll make a huge difference to most but I do like carrying the A7 and 35mm f2.8 in my Lowepro Apex 100 AW or if in my cheapo man bag I can also fit in two water bottles and snacks and that'd have to change with this f1.8.

As I've been saying, I do hope it's as good as the 55mm f1.8. I'd much rather that than a cheapo lens with slow focusing.

I am put off by the size though and I'll give this a lot of thought after the reviews come out before deciding if I'll get one or not. The A7 and 35mm f2.8 is just so compact and good that I'm not sure that I want the increased bulk but if carrying the kit in a bag I don't suppose it'll make a huge difference to most but I do like carrying the A7 and 35mm f2.8 in my Lowepro Apex 100 AW or if in my cheapo man bag I can also fit in two water bottles and snacks and that'd have to change with this f1.8.

The 55 is dinky though. Think you'll have a tough job making it smaller than that. Sure that can't weigh much on the a7?

It's not really the weight so much as the bulk as with the 55mm or this 35mm f1.8 I'd need to take a bigger bag. I suppose buying a bigger bag is the solution if I decide that I really want the f1.8. At the moment I'm undecided and even though we've waited years for this I might not bother as the f2.8 in the Lowepro Apex 100 is just so small a package.

I've never really warmed to the 55mm as although I do think it's excellent and easily the best 50mm-ish lens I've ever used I'm sure that the extra 5mm over 50 is noticeable to me and that thought bothers me. I'd prefer it to be 50mm :D

It's not really the weight so much as the bulk as with the 55mm or this 35mm f1.8 I'd need to take a bigger bag. I suppose buying a bigger bag is the solution if I decide that I really want the f1.8. At the moment I'm undecided and even though we've waited years for this I might not bother as the f2.8 in the Lowepro Apex 100 is just so small a package.

I've never really warmed to the 55mm as although I do think it's excellent and easily the best 50mm-ish lens I've ever used I'm sure that the extra 5mm over 50 is noticeable to me and that thought bothers me. I'd prefer it to be 50mm :D
really? your curreny bag can just about fit a a7 and f2.8 35mm? how small is your bag? the size of a typical mens inside pocket of a blazer? LOL.
i can fit a bloody A7 AND 35 2,8 IN MY JACKET POCKET!!!

i dont even need a bag bro! o

edit: This can easily fit at a9 and a 55mm

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3641163
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djGS39FZdzg

Last edited:
Wow! People moan about the lack of a 35mm 1.8 for years, then when it arrives.... they moan about it.

We're British. It's in our blood to question and moan about everything.

Because you dress like a clown.

I didn't see the rest about small bags as it's probably been edited away... why I don't know as it's not rude or offensive and instead is rather funny :D and should IMO have been left in.

I just like having a small camera and lens, that's all, and if I want a small bag the 100aw is very small. I do have larger bags but I like the option of taking my kit in the small one because it's small. That's all.

I might post a picture later but I'm out all day tomorrow so it'll be later in the week.

£629 isn’t too bad. 85mm 1.8 is £600 and available for £400.

I’ll buy when I can get it for £400 :)

£400 sounds much more like it. They'll charge whatever people are willing to pay, if they see they're not then it'll get reduced.

The heat over the weekend adversely affected the performance of my a7Riii. I spent all Sunday outside at an air show and towards the end of the day It became almost impossible to consistently review my photos on the LCD, the viewfinder was OK. Tested it today and all was OK. Bit disappointed but others on the web report similar findings.

Looks to me like they're going after the ART market with that 35 f1.8: priced like an ART lens, a bit smaller aperture and physically a lot smaller but with excellent performance and native fit. As long as sony remain in front for mirrorless then they'll automatically try to maintain premium pricing. This lens looks like it will produce much nicer images than the Sammy 35 f2.8, but is 3 times the size and price, so I can't imagine changing yet. At this stage, if I bought a Sony WA then it would be the 28 f2.

Hopefully the next lens will be an 85, though I can't decide between the Sony (better focusing, slightly cheaper) and Samyang (nicer rendering, faster max aperture).

Looks to me like they're going after the ART market with that 35 f1.8: priced like an ART lens, a bit smaller aperture and physically a lot smaller but with excellent performance and native fit. As long as sony remain in front for mirrorless then they'll automatically try to maintain premium pricing. This lens looks like it will produce much nicer images than the Sammy 35 f2.8, but is 3 times the size and price, so I can't imagine changing yet. At this stage, if I bought a Sony WA then it would be the 28 f2.

Hopefully the next lens will be an 85, though I can't decide between the Sony (better focusing, slightly cheaper) and Samyang (nicer rendering, faster max aperture).

It wouldn't make any sense for them to charge less than this. The 85mm 1.8 is very similar and I fully expected it to be similar in price to that.

The focus hold and af/mf buttons are very welcome IMO.

I have just bought the 28mm f2 and it is great, but to be fair if they released that lens today - it wouldn't be priced at £400 IMO.

Nikon version is similarly priced, Canon a bit less.

I can see some charging £400 for it within a year.

EDIT: Could also well open the floodgates for more 35mm 1.8s as well.

Last edited:
It wouldn't make any sense for them to charge less than this. The 85mm 1.8 is very similar and I fully expected it to be similar in price to that.

Agreed. I think the 85 is £405 on E-infinity, and that's probably about right for this too, or perhaps a touch more. Like Alan, I'd have preferred a more compact design, but if I wanted a super 35 then this would be on the list.

I'm not sure if the new 35mm interests me at that price point.

What with the Voigtlander 40/1.2 I wouldn't want to spend that much on the 35mm in all honesty.

Saying that, I am glad that it is a better quality lens though.

Haven't been on here for a while and haven't been using my camera much these last few weeks. But did have the eldest prom last weekend..

48202999202_498b478ca7_b.jpg

48243671981_d85ca760b3_b.jpg

I'm not sure if the new 35mm interests me at that price point.

What with the Voigtlander 40/1.2 I wouldn't want to spend that much on the 35mm in all honesty.

Saying that, I am glad that it is a better quality lens though.

The thing with manual lenses is that you have to take time at wide apertures or shoot hyperfocally or zone which will mean smaller apertures but with an AF lens you can shoot much quicker at any aperture and can use the face/eye detect with your subject anywhere in the frame which for me is an absolute revelation.

If I'm by myself and just taking non people pictures MF is maybe no problem, nice even, but if I'm with someone else and don't want to be the geek with that camera holding everyone up or want to take pictures of people AF and especially AF with face detect is wonderful.

That Sigma 45mm f2.8 might be interesting if the reports of it being compact and very nicely built with an aperture ring are true. I probably wont buy one but it'll be interesting to see what it's like and read the reviews. My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic with a 43mm lens.

The thing with manual lenses is that you have to take time at wide apertures or shoot hyperfocally or zone which will mean smaller apertures but with an AF lens you can shoot much quicker at any aperture and can use the face/eye detect with your subject anywhere in the frame which for me is an absolute revelation.

If I'm by myself and just taking non people pictures MF is maybe no problem, nice even, but if I'm with someone else and don't want to be the geek with that camera holding everyone up or want to take pictures of people AF and especially AF with face detect is wonderful.

I simply love my old Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 manual lens, such a pleasure to use, but you're right it's obviously easier and faster to get shots with modern day AF. Landscapes, architecture and subject photography I tend to use MF anyway and I do have success with animals/people manually focussing but the hit rate is obviously not as high.

I've just realised I'm actually not making any kind of point......been a long day :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sleep:

I think the hit rate depends on the time taken and how close you look. When trying to be quick at wide apertures I find peaking quite accurate because not much is peaking but I don't rely on it at smaller apertures and at any aperture I wouldn't be too surprised to be at least a bit disappointed when pixel peeping shots I'd rushed. Taking my time and deliberately and accurately focusing on a subject is a different thing and should yield a near 100% hit rate.

I like the manual lenses for the feel and the process but even if not pointing my camera at people there are times when I don't want me and the gear to detract from spending time with people. We're going to Singapore in a couple of weeks and if I was going by myself I'd possibly take my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 or maybe a couple of Rokkors but it's not a photographic holiday and I'll be with Mrs WW and her family so an AF lens is much more appropriate.

if its $750 folk here will get screwed to £750

Have you seen the exchange rate?! 1:1 with the USD is now actually probably a pretty reasonable calculation for international companies doing business here. Certainly not much room for profiteering compared to 5 years ago.

The UK RRP seems surprisingly aggressive vs USD, considering VAT the baseline price is actually quite a bit cheaper here.

Last edited:
Have you seen the exchange rate?! 1:1 with the USD is now actually probably a pretty reasonable calculation for international companies doing business here. Certainly not much room for profiteering compared to 5 years ago.

The UK RRP seems surprisingly aggressive vs USD, considering VAT the baseline price is actually quite a bit cheaper here.

I agree, it seems quite aggressive in my opinion as well. Saying that, £629 still equates to around $786 - though I presume the US price doesn’t include any tax, in which case is we have landed better off.

Feeling pretty happy with my decision to opt for the Canon 135mm f2 rather than stretch to x4 the cost for the Sony. It’s my favourite focal length and impressively I’ve not really noticed any downsides on the a7III via the MC-11. I had one OOF shot at this wedding out of many hundreds.

190704 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

190704 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Back