The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How do you find the RX1 for responsiveness and focusing? Some reviews say it's slow.

I've always fancied the idea of one but I doubt I'll ever have one.

No idea about the RX1 I hear the AF isn't particularly good too. I have the RX1RII which has the same sensor as A7RII/III and AF pretty good.
Most of the slowness comes from writing large 42mp files to UHS-I cards and reading from it. But I don't expect to be doing a lot of bursting with it anyway.

I meant yours, just couldn't remember what the exact model was :D

There's a Sony 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 in the classifieds plus an A7II and 70-200mm f4.

At a wedding today (even though I don't use EC!), the make up artist is the top one in the south west, doing well over 100+ weddings a year, interestingly she asked if 'that was one of those Sony cameras with a silent shutter?', she said that it's the biggest change she's noticed now there is no shutter noise (I shoot all prep on silent) and that almost half of the weddings she's done recently have been with mirrorless shooters.

How are these for banding under flickering lighting when using the electronic shutter?

At a wedding today (even though I don't use EC!), the make up artist is the top one in the south west, doing well over 100+ weddings a year, interestingly she asked if 'that was one of those Sony cameras with a silent shutter?', she said that it's the biggest change she's noticed now there is no shutter noise (I shoot all prep on silent) and that almost half of the weddings she's done recently have been with mirrorless shooters.

I did an engagement shoot with silent shutter once and they found the silence weird and asked me to put the shutter back on. People find it reassuring with the noise when they are posing, it's like they know they are not there posing for nothing. There is a comfort in it.

My (2nd) La-EA4 turned up today from LCE. Described as good, the outside is near-new, and the mount should minor signs of use. No obvious damage to the mirror, I may well go for a walk tonight. ;)

Loving the Sony a7iii for night photography.
Clear skies last night so headed down to the beach to have a go for the first time at star trails.
The result is this Star Trail in Brighton with the i360 tower.View attachment 249088

“Cracking” idea & shot, liking this image very much.

George.

Having decided to treat myself to a sony a7iii about two months ago I genuinely couldn't be happier. Its exactly what I wanted for the kids and nails focus every time.

Ive managed to accrue a few of the sigma art lenses and they are amazing. The pick has got to be the 85mm art though. It's beautiful-at least until I can afford the 105mm art. Every lens I've tried though has been great. The only slight disappointment was the samyang 50mm and that focus motor!

For the first time ever I'm genuinely happy using prime lenses only. I've got the tamron 28-75mm and despite being tac sharp I just love the f1.4 images. On any other dslr I've used I'd have stayed at 2.8 maximum just to give a good chance of getting the eyes in focus for the wee ones. Now I can happily use 1.4 and know in going to get them.

Swapped the 24-70 GM fo the 24 GM yesterday, hopefully will get out and use it today. First impressions are (1) it's lovely and light and (2) I really love the 4 x light when shooting indoors (ie messing around yesterday evening!)

Time will tell whether my focus on primes is wise or foolish (this time around!), but for sure, they are the ones I keep picking up from the camera bag and the 24-70 was getting no love at all.

Swapped the 24-70 GM fo the 24 GM yesterday, hopefully will get out and use it today. First impressions are (1) it's lovely and light and (2) I really love the 4 x light when shooting indoors (ie messing around yesterday evening!)

Time will tell whether my focus on primes is wise or foolish (this time around!), but for sure, they are the ones I keep picking up from the camera bag and the 24-70 was getting no love at all.

It looks like a belter of a lens.

The rumor guy is all over the place with different rumors of what's coming. Could be three new cameras, could be three new lenses.

If you can wade through it here's the link... Or we can just wait and see...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-this-is-it-folks-sony-will-have-a-big-announcement-on-july-17/

I think the only thing I could be interested in is the 35mm f1.8 but my interest will be killed stone dead if it's too bulky for me or has that cheapo focus system. Some may be interested in a SLR style APS-C camera. or even an A9II. If an A9II does come I'll be interested in the tech and what it can do but will almost certainly never buy one :D

The rumor guy is all over the place with different rumors of what's coming. Could be three new cameras, could be three new lenses.

If you can wade through it here's the link... Or we can just wait and see...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-this-is-it-folks-sony-will-have-a-big-announcement-on-july-17/

I think the only thing I could be interested in is the 35mm f1.8 but my interest will be killed stone dead if it's too bulky for me or has that cheapo focus system. Some may be interested in a SLR style APS-C camera. or even an A9II. If an A9II does come I'll be interested in the tech and what it can do but will almost certainly never buy one :D

An SLR style APSC camera with IBIS might tempt me personally. The A6400 with IBIS and a beefier body, I might be sold - obviously it'll have to out-perform my X-H1 by a bit for me to consider - but the price?

Last edited:
And the new lenses are...... :oops: :$o_O

48210773217_0b4d160593_z.jpg

48210716851_e78e7387dd_z.jpg

Back