The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Only thing on Sony it your single point tracking the square is grey so hard to see

Thought I would start with this thread before going anywhere else and also before I go down this route of switching systems.

I'm currently running a Canon 1D4, with the A7III Is the auto focus as good as the reviews, I have poor vision and AF is always my down fall making sure to nail the portraits is always hit and miss sometimes and even using a few hacks like drawing on my view finder screen so I know where the comon AF points are as I can't see red which is the AF highlight colour on a 1D4 and most other canocn cameras I've been looking into the Sonys AF system and it does eye tracking and alll sorts of other things.

But in peoples opinion is it worth jumping ship for ?

with the current prices of the A9 I think it would be worth looking at that instead of the A7III which I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but some will disagree.

with the current prices of the A9 I think it would be worth looking at that instead of the A7III which I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but some will disagree.

Maybe you could say why, just for those of us who don't own either and remembering that Morgan is interested in portraits.

although i have the a7r IV the a9 is said to have the best AF it may well be best for you over the A7III .
Rob.

Maybe you could say why, just for those of us who don't own either and remembering that Morgan is interested in portraits.

Good point, for me the terrible EVF is the main thing that would be relevant to Morgan. He really should try it and compare to others models to see how bad it is. He may be ok with it but I’d still recommend the A9 based on current prices. There are other things but I won’t list them as they are things I find annoying and not good enough but others may be ok with.

Good point, for me the terrible EVF is the main thing that would be relevant to Morgan. He really should try it and compare to others models to see how bad it is. He may be ok with it but I’d still recommend the A9 based on current prices. There are other things but I won’t list them as they are things I find annoying and not good enough but others may be ok with.

If his eyesight is bad then will he appreciate the improved EVF?

LOL. The camera that made a s*** tonne of people jump ship to Sony, best bang for your buck by a mile in the camera market today.

LOL. The camera that made a s*** tonne of people jump ship to Sony, best bang for your buck by a mile in the camera market today.
Not so true anymore, the Z6 can be had £200-300 cheaper. Now I'm not saying the Z6 is as good as the A7III, but it's certainly a good bang for buck (y)

Thought I would start with this thread before going anywhere else and also before I go down this route of switching systems.

I'm currently running a Canon 1D4, with the A7III Is the auto focus as good as the reviews, I have poor vision and AF is always my down fall making sure to nail the portraits is always hit and miss sometimes and even using a few hacks like drawing on my view finder screen so I know where the comon AF points are as I can't see red which is the AF highlight colour on a 1D4 and most other canocn cameras I've been looking into the Sonys AF system and it does eye tracking and alll sorts of other things.

But in peoples opinion is it worth jumping ship for ?
If you can afford it, the Sony A9 would be my pick, having owned the A7 III it is also a good camera.
All comes down to budget really....
1. Sony A9 = The King
2. Sony A7 III = The Queen

:D

If you can afford it, the Sony A9 would be my pick, having owned the A7 III it is also a good camera.
All comes down to budget really....
1. Sony A9 = The King
2. Sony A7 III = The Queen

:D

I must be losing track, what do you have now? A7RIV? A9?

PS.
Anyone here have an A9II yet?

I must be losing track, what do you have now? A7RIV? A9?

PS.
I have the Sony A9, recently sold the Sony A7 III and a couple of lenses. :D
I was going to get the A9 II but when the specifications were announced, there isn't a big reason to move.
With the recent car acquisition, photography has taken a back bench for the moment. :)

If his eyesight is bad then will he appreciate the improved EVF?

I'm not sure, maybe not but probably best to compare I guess.

I realise that a lot of people feel like that and that's great. Personally I'm not concerned with bang for your buck and if I spent any money on an A7III it would be like throwing it down the drain as it's not something I could use. Considering what the A9 can be purchased for on some sites I would argue that is the best bang for your buck atm.

Not so true anymore, the Z6 can be had £200-300 cheaper. Now I'm not saying the Z6 is as good as the A7III, but it's certainly a good bang for buck (y)

Yup and with it 24-70 f4 £1759 is a steal

And the evf and back screen on the z6 is ahead of the a7iii

I have the Sony A9, recently sold the Sony A7 III and a couple of lenses. :D
I was going to get the A9 II but when the specifications were announced, there isn't a big reason to move.
With the recent car acquisition, photography has taken a back bench for the moment. :)

I'm hanging on by my fingers as I get so little time these days, just an hour or so here and there if I can grab it. I've thought about selling most of my gear but then I think I don't need the money so I might as well hang onto it even if I only get an hour here and there and a holiday every two years.

Yup and with it 24-70 f4 £1759 is a steal

And the evf and back screen on the z6 is ahead of the a7iii

I don't think its better over all though, the AF system is still behind in some key area's and a single card slot will put of many people.

I have one on order and expecting it late October/Early November as I hesitated ordering at first due to disappointing upgrade over the A9, but after consideration decided to go for it as the improved body/weather sealing is quite important for me and I'm enjoying the improvements on the A7RIV.

I'm hanging on by my fingers as I get so little time these days, just an hour or so here and there if I can grab it. I've thought about selling most of my gear but then I think I don't need the money so I might as well hang onto it even if I only get an hour here and there and a holiday every two years.
I am in the same boat, thought about selling the lot and perhaps getting the next Fuji X100 replacement but I don't need the money just yet.

I don't think its better over all though, the AF system is still behind in some key area's and a single card slot will put of many people.
Yes but we're talking banks for buck. A Z6 with 24-70mm f4 for the same price as an A7III only is great value (y)

Single memory doesn’t bother me.

Af it been flawless nailed everything so
Far.

The handling of the z6 is miles better everything falls in place perfectly

The Nikon raw files are brilliant

Yes but we're talking banks for buck. A Z6 with 24-70mm f4 for the same price as an A7III only is great value (y)
That may be the case, but when you factor in the loss in re-sale value of whatever your doing to trade it in for..... the change from a Sony A7 III vs Nikon Z6 might not be that cost effective, especially when you compared the actual end output (photos).

That may be the case, but when you factor in the loss in re-sale value of whatever your doing to trade it in for..... the change from a Sony A7 III vs Nikon Z6 might not be that cost effective, especially when you compared the actual end output (photos).

I lost more on Sony gear than I did on
Nikon. Nikon don’t cost as much for a start and value not a big of a drop.

Anyway nope now Nikon gone Mirrorless I be staying. If they bring a z6 ii I prob upgrade to it if needed

True, but that wasn’t my point :p

I lost more on Sony gear than I did on
Nikon. Nikon don’t cost as much for a start and value not a big of a drop.

Anyway nope now Nikon gone Mirrorless I be staying. If they bring a z6 ii I prob upgrade to it if needed
That's what I was getting at, you lost a lot on the Sony gear...... mind you, I can't really talk as I've been thinking of selling my Sony gear for quite sometime now. :eek:
Enjoy the Nikon, it is still a great camera.... most are these days. :)
<< run's to check prices on Nikon gear lol :eek:

That's what I was getting at, you lost a lot on the Sony gear...... mind you, I can't really talk as I've been thinking of selling my Sony gear for quite sometime now. :eek:
Enjoy the Nikon, it is still a great camera.... most are these days. :)
QUOTE]

We all do it I’ve not regretted it one moment

Well no one knows what I got for my gears and what the new gear deal I got

Switching from brand to brand and swapping perfectly good gear for more perfectly good gear never makes much sense to me but then I remember life is short so why not? That and I used to do the same with cars and that cost me a lot more :D

IMO discussing changing brands and which is better and why rarely ends well though.

Well no one knows what I got for my gears and what the new gear deal I got
To be honest, if I decided to sell all my Sony gear, I would probably too lose some money on it. It just the nature of the game and something we have to accept :D
I doubt I could sell it all and not replace it with something at the very least.......

Well I’ve said what I’ve got to say.

I enjoyed my 18 month with Sony but the handling of it was annoying.

Back to Nikon and no regret. We all
Need be happy and as we say life too short if can afford it why not

To be honest, if I decided to sell all my Sony gear, I would probably too lose some money on it. It just the nature of the game and something we have to accept :D
I doubt I could sell it all and not replace it with something at the very least.......

At the moment I could manage with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and Sony 35mm f1.8 and some close up filters but in 6 months time I might want to use my 85mm f1.8 or a Rokkor 50mm f1.2 so I best not sell anything just yet.

At the moment I could manage with my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and Sony 35mm f1.8 and some close up filters but in 6 months time I might want to use my 85mm f1.8 or a Rokkor 50mm f1.2 so I best not sell anything just yet.
I guess if I am being totally realistic, I could get away with a 24-70mm and 50/85mm prime...... and since I don't shoot professionally... a single SD card slot wouldn't bother me too much.

Well I’ve said what I’ve got to say.

I enjoyed my 18 month with Sony but the handling of it was annoying.

Back to Nikon and no regret. We all
Need be happy and as we say life too short if can afford it why not

My Gosh! You're right! You must be some kind of genius! :D

I was thinking between the 2. I went z6 as didn’t want the MP and large files size. So though save myself £1000
Yeah, might be a cheaper option for me, ditch all the Sony gear, get a Nikon Z6 with a couple of lenses and bank the rest of the cash!

Yeah, might be a cheaper option for me, ditch all the Sony gear, get a Nikon Z6 with a couple of lenses and bank the rest of the cash!

The Nikon 24-70 f4 is a brilliant lens hell a lot better than the Sony version imo.

Back