The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not really, the cheaper lenses are known to be good/excellent performers. Look at the new Tamrons and the Arts, even the 85 1.8 is a very good performer, none are very expensive. The X-Pro3 costs as much as my A7iii cost at launch and the XH1 was similar money at launch. So the other way to look at it could be, why by an apsc setup new for the same price or more as a FF setup when new.

There's not a chance I'd have bought the XH1 at release, I'd agree there if you were comparing original prices then definitely opt for a FFML. But I'm just thinking current prices, you can get a brand new XH1 with the grip and batteries for £1K, often cheaper during sales. You have a lot of change left over in that case vs buying an A7RIII - plenty enough for some of Fuji's best lenses. I wouldn't pay near the amount they're asking for a pro3 either. Again, in that case I'd go for the Sony unless I was rock solid set on staying with Fuji. Even then, IMHO, the XH1 is the best bang per buck in the system.

But we're comparing an A7RIII vs H1 here, I'm thinking Gandalf wants to free up cash otherwise why not keep both if you can?

Could you not say the same about the Fuji? Anyway we're getting off topic, the OP asked which one 'we'd' keep and I gave my opinion based on what I'd do, no budget or anything else was mentioned (y)

It is the topic, reasons as to keep one or the other, I added budget as a reason - I think he meant what do we think he should keep in the long run

It is the topic, reasons as to keep one or the other, I added budget as a reason - I think he meant what do we think he should keep in the long run
In the long-run .... ermmm a iPhone as all larger camera's are doomed! lol :p

I just went with what's best (imo) :p

I just went with what's best (imo) :p

Well sure, if we remove budget as an issue then give me an A7RIII any day over my XH1! no question. I think Gandalf needs to elaborate on why he wants to ditch either. I don't think he's strapped for cash [like me :D ] as he seems to buy and sell a lot of nice gear.

Are the Samyang lenses any good?
I'm not a pro by any means and have spent most of my life using mainly kit lenses.
The 28-70 kit lens that came with my A7ii I find perfectly acceptable.
Ultimately I'd like the best lenses if I had the money.
I'd probably aim for 24-105 for general use and 200-600 for birds etc.
For the price of the 24-105 I could get at least 2 samyangs.
Any thoughts or experiences welcome.
Generally yes, with reservations as always.

I have had Sammy 50 1.4, 85 1.4 and 35 2.8. All were optically fine with the 85 being excellent. AF of the 85 is also great, 35 and 50 acceptable. For comparison the sony 50 1.8 was quite unacceptable, even though it's optically very good.

I may well pick up an 18 shortly, though I hear reports of variable quality.

I have had Sammy 50 1.4, 85 1.4 and 35 2.8. All were optically fine with the 85 being excellent. AF of the 85 is also great, 35 and 50 acceptable. For comparison the sony 50 1.8 was quite unacceptable, even though it's optically very good.

Thanks for that
It would likely be the 85 that I would go for.

The Sony 85 1.8 and samyang 85 1.4 are a similar price.

Would be using the lens for portraits etc.
Which one do you think would be the best overall?

The Sony 85 1.8 and samyang 85 1.4 are a similar price.

Would be using the lens for portraits etc.
Which one do you think would be the best overall?

How are you finding the A7II vs your old G80? Obviously the IQ is going to be a lot better but overall - handling, enjoyment in use, getting to know the menus etc

Last edited:
How are you finding the A7II vs your old G80? Obviously the IQ is going to be a lot better but overall - handling, enjoyment in use, getting to know the menus etc
To be honest, I'm loving it.
I've got it set up how I want it, and don't have any issues with the menu etc.
I know it's not great af for wildlife etc, but I never went for bif etc.
I haven't used the G80 since I got the A7ii.

Okay time to clear things up......

I have the X-H1 and the a73, I wanted to know should I keep the Fuji or get an a7r3...?

I’m looking for a back up Camera to either of the ones I already have, so either sell the Fuji and get the a7r3 to complement the a73 or buy an X-Pro2 to act as back up to the X-H1....

The only thing making me hesitate regarding the a7r3 is do I need the huge Raw files, the cropping ability would be handy but I don’t have any long lenses anymore, I would probably use the a7r3 with my 90mm Macro most of the time...

Money is a consideration because I have some big things happening in 2020 so this would be my last spending decision for a while,

I have the X-H1 and the a73, I wanted to know should I keep the Fuji or get an a7r3...?

I’m looking for a back up Camera to either of the ones I already have, so either sell the Fuji and get the a7r3 to complement the a73 or buy an X-Pro2 to act as back up to the X-H1....

The only thing making me hesitate regarding the a7r3 is do I need the huge Raw files, the cropping ability would be handy but I don’t have any long lenses anymore, I would probably use the a7r3 with my 90mm Macro most of the time...

Money is a consideration because I have some big things happening in 2020 so this would be my last spending decision for a while,
Couldn’t you buy a second A73 rather than R3? It’s cheaper and has sensible file sizes, plus the perfect backup as controls etc will be exactly the same.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm loving it.
I've got it set up how I want it, and don't have any issues with the menu etc.
I know it's not great af for wildlife etc, but I never went for bif etc.
I haven't used the G80 since I got the A7ii.

Good stuff, it's always nice to see people satisfied with their new gear. I considered the 7II in the past, I would probably go with something like the Samy 35 1.4 and the Sony 85 1.8 then adapt some old tele lenses for wildlife. I don't do BIF either so something like an old 300mm F4 prime would do the jobby for my needs on FF. Managed with a 150mm on M43 for a bit.

Ahhh ... see I took it that you already owned both. Wondered why such a strange decision on which to sell as they're so very different in every way, especially price. If you have the spare funds I'd say why not? I know you've had some lovely lenses on Fuji though, like the 90F2 and not sure if you've had the 16 1.4? But these will be pricey to replicate on FF. A 24mm 1.4 and 135 F2 will set you back a little more than the APSC lenses

Sell everything buy the A7RIV. It's at a great price in sales and be done with it :p

49214858001_6cab895833_c.jpg

49214857806_0e10f2526c_c.jpg

49214857546_222d957834_c.jpg

49215087612_4ae89dd8d7_c.jpg

49214856806_e90c5108dd_c.jpg

I guess you're happy with it then?

Maybe not too worried about the reported harsh bokeh and CA?

'Bokeh' preference is a very personal thing, I see a lot of shyte talk about 'bad bokeh' regarding certain lenses , then I see the images and think they're just fine. I've seen a fair amount of examples from that Sony 85 1.8 and not once have I thought 'bad bokeh' - I think nit-pickers will just do that, like when they seek out minor imperfections between Samyang and Sony GM lenses. It suits them to see the imperfections, makes their pocket loss feel a little less harsh

'Bokeh' preference is a very personal thing, I see a lot of shyte talk about 'bad bokeh' regarding certain lenses , then I see the images and think they're just fine. I've seen a fair amount of examples from that Sony 85 1.8 and not once have I thought 'bad bokeh' - I think nit-pickers will just do that, like when they seek out minor imperfections between Samyang and Sony GM lenses. It suits them to see the imperfections, makes their pocket loss feel a little less harsh

I think I was the first to post examples here and they were of Mrs WW with bushes and foliage but that's a bad case scenario and in reality bokeh is scene dependant. On the whole I think it's ok for a 35mm. One thing that does seem to get overlooked is stopped down bokeh and again I think it's ok.

With lens comparisons I can't criticise anyone as I have multiple very similar lenses they are however mostly cheap ones :D There are minor and not so minor difference between lenses and if people can afford to indulge their hobby or buy the best tools for their paid jobs then there's nothing wrong with that :D

I think I was the first to post examples here and they were of Mrs WW with bushes and foliage but that's a bad case scenario and in reality bokeh is scene dependant. On the whole I think it's ok for a 35mm. One thing that does seem to get overlooked is stopped down bokeh and again I think it's ok.

With lens comparisons I can't criticise anyone as I have multiple very similar lenses they are however mostly cheap ones :D There are minor and not so minor difference between lenses and if people can afford to indulge their hobby or buy the best tools for their paid jobs then there's nothing wrong with that :D

Nothing wrong with it is right, until they start p***ing on the cheaper offerings because of minor differences. Comes across a bit snobbish or elitist. I rarely look at an image and judge it mostly in the characteristics of the bokeh, and I've found your general viewer doesn't notice at all.

Last edited:
Years ago even enthusiasts didn't look at bokeh and if you did you were probably told off for looking at areas of the picture that you shouldn't be looking at. Times change and now there are people who buy f1.x lenses and shoot wide open all the time.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8, juts for shapes, light and shadow.

s7dGOnt.jpg

XqOvvoe.jpg

PTH0sM2.jpg

g6ZAxzo.jpg

So, I’ve no requirement for super high megapixel.
But, I’m drawn to the ergonomics of the A7riv
Currently A7iii. Quite like it, apart from grey focus box. I’m a committed back button focusing guy. It’s here that the Riv seems to have an ergonomic advantage.
Grey A7riv is affordable, or should I just wait for A7iv to be released?

Maybe suck up the ergonomics and get A9 for a red focus box...

Back