The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@snerkler I know this isn’t exactly an answer to your question but, I was watching a very informative video on YouTube regarding the A73 and you can definitely set a button for APS-C and 2x Zoom on that.
Nice thanks, I'd imagine the 4 will be the same then. Didn't realise you could set a 2x crop mode too, that's handy.

Nice thanks, I'd imagine the 4 will be the same then. Didn't realise you could set a 2x crop mode too, that's handy.
No problem. I didn’t realise it either but he was showing the differences between the 100-400 & 200-600 and was using the function to demonstrate it.

It mentions it in the spec, but perhaps @nandbytes can confirm.
Just had another look and can't see it in the specs or the manual, quick google says it was dropped in the A9 and A7R III. Some say it's because it's not considered a "pro" feature. What a load of poppycock, these cameras aren't just for pros ;)

Look up crop APSC and I think they call it clear image zoom. Pretty sure they can also be stacked.
Ok so there's two options, APS-C crop where it's literally a 1.5x crop with the resulting reduction in resolution, and clear image zoom which has a 1.5 x and 2 x crop however the difference with the clear image zoom is that it adds pixels to retain the original resolution, therefore on the A7RIV you get a 2x cropped image still with around 61mp. The only caveat is that it's jpeg only :facepalm: Not the end of the world for extreme scenarios I guess. You could actually use this and get a 4x crop and still get roughly 15mp so use a 25mm lens to give you a 100mm FOV with 15mp :eek:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...he-most-amazing-shooting-mode-you-never-heard

One thing that bugs me with Nikon is that if you're shooting raw or raw + jpeg and you want to choose a setting that is for jpeg shooting only (such as HDR) you can't use select HDR and it will automatically switch to jpeg, in fact it won't let you choose the HDR. You have to manually change the file type from raw to jpeg and then it will allow you to select HDR. Are Sony Cameras the same ie you have to manually change to jpeg before it allows you to select jpeg only functions (such as clear image zoom)?

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with the AF adjustment setting on Samyang lenses ?

I've just updated by Samyang 35mm f2.8 firmware and noticed that the AF adj setting on it is -4

What effect does this have - should i reset it to 0 ?

Can't find anything on the internet ?

Can anyone help me with the AF adjustment setting on Samyang lenses ?

I've just updated by Samyang 35mm f2.8 firmware and noticed that the AF adj setting on it is -4

What effect does this have - should i reset it to 0 ?

I have queried this before direct with the Samyang rep. The answer was that each lens is tested before it leaves the factory and adjusted accordingly which makes no sense at all as a.f adjustment shouldn't be needed, also if they are only testing against one body how does that work?

Anyway that is what they said. I wouldn't change what it is set too.

I am guessing that because of the way the a.,f sensor works one adjustment should work with all bodies.

Last edited:
I have queried this before direct with the Samyang rep. The answer was that each lens is tested before it leaves the factory and adjusted accordingly which makes no sense at all as a.f adjustment shouldn't be needed, also if they are only testing against one body how does that work?

I am guessing that because of the way the a.,f sensor works one adjustment should work with all bodies.

Thanks - thing is I chabged it to 0 and the AF seems snappier !

Could just be my imagination though !

My 35 1.4 needed adjustment via dock, it was okay at default but I did note an improvement when I tweaked.

My 35 1.4 needed adjustment via dock, it was okay at default but I did note an improvement when I tweaked.

I probably should of said that I wouldn't change the setting unless you are having front or back focus issues.

Seems crazy that only Samyang would seem to have this issue. One of the great benefits about having mirrorless is not having to faff about with that nonsense. Perhaps they don't get full access to the e-mount protocols the way Sigma and Tamron etc. do, although I thought I read somewhere that e-mount is an open system.

I'm certain I read that Sony will reveal all if they think you're a serious player who'll add something to the system... but I don't think they'll divulge all to anyone and everyone. There was a story some time ago about a university professor (or someone like that) complaining because Sony wouldn't give him the information he wanted, I assume because he wasn't worth their time.

I assume Samyang would get all of the required information but maybe they're cutting corners to keep costs down or maybe they just have crap quality control.

Anyone 'ere with a spare A7RII they want rid of for a Fuji X-H1? I know, bit of Déjà Vu - but right now I'm lensless and interested - see classys

None of the above!

The A6500 went to its new owner this week, and after dithering over the A6400 to replace it, there's now an old and brilliant Fujifilm X-T1 (have I mentioned the dedicated dials...? :LOL:) and a nice pile of £20 notes in its place.

:sony: but maybe :fuji: more.
Your choice, mine is I'd take any of these over any xtrans Fuji and live with the handling.

None of the above!

The A6500 went to its new owner this week, and after dithering over the A6400 to replace it, there's now an old and brilliant Fujifilm X-T1 (have I mentioned the dedicated dials...? :LOL:) and a nice pile of £20 notes in its place.

:sony: but maybe :fuji: more.

Same, for APSC I'd choose a Fuji over Sony all day every day, for FF I'd chose a Sony :p

IMG_2642.JPGIMG_2646.JPG

Finally been going through LR and deleting or editing images.

I’ve now had the camera a year and I’ve really not used it as much as I should, but I’m still absolutely shocked at the keeper rate with it.

I’ve got in the habit of bursting when I’m shooting and even with my Nikon I would have so many missed/out of focus shots.

Now I’m just deleting images due to them being duplicates with very very few out of focus or missed focus.

Her are a few recent ones of the pup who has become my new muse.

Now I’m just deleting images due to them being duplicates with very very few out of focus or missed focus.

It's a great bonus of good AF on the current Sony's , I delete so many photos these days that would've been keepers on previous camera. Lets you be more picky.

so, the animal eye ef setting also works with human eyes. Handy.

Not for me it doesn’t. It will occasionally pick up a human eye but it’s by accident rather than design. Definitely isn’t intended to work that way on any of the bodies. Just a couple of days ago I seen some guy who had photographed a wedding using R3’s and he was having a meltdown because the a.f was all over the place. It turned out it was because he had forgotten to turn animal a.f off.

Even the new models don’t support auto switching between human and animal.

Not for me it doesn’t. It will occasionally pick up a human eye but it’s by accident rather than design. Definitely isn’t intended to work that way on any of the bodies. Just a couple of days ago I seen some guy who had photographed a wedding using R3’s and he was having a meltdown because the a.f was all over the place. It turned out it was because he had forgotten to turn animal a.f off.

Even the new models don’t support auto switching between human and animal.

Perhaps this is where samyang glass comes into its own. :)

I've not tested properly, but it had little trouble tracking my dog and then locking onto my daughters eye.

Perhaps this is where samyang glass comes into its own. :)

I've not tested properly, but it had little trouble tracking my dog and then locking onto my daughters eye.

I am only guessing here but I am gonna assume that it sometimes works with certain people because of the shape of there eye, animal eye a.f isn't that smart yet.

It has worked on occasion for me too with certain people, with others it won't work at all.

Elswehere as I said a wedding photographer was having an absolute meltdown due to eye a.f not engaging properly and and not nailing the eye when he reviewed images. He was using R3's and as it turned out it was because he forgotten to switch back to human eye a.f. Seen another wedding photographer a while back do the same thing but with an A9.

On my bodies A9II, A9, A7RIV, A7III animal eye a.f won't pick up any of my family members, but it does occasionally work with my wifes's friends son. I haven't tested it out really but just noticed from general use.

It works on my A9 and Sigma 35, but its not as effective. If the eye is open and looking toward the camera it will find it then track, with human mode it will pick it up even if the eye is looking downwards and theres no pupil/iris to find.

Last edited:
Back