The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone have the 35mm f/1.8 - is it a keeper? Having looked at the 400 pics I've taken on the wide end of the 24-105, I think a 35mm might suit my needs better, The advantages in aperture, size, and weight are appealing.

Anyone have the 35mm f/1.8 - is it a keeper? Having looked at the 400 pics I've taken on the wide end of the 24-105, I think a 35mm might suit my needs better, The advantages in aperture, size, and weight are appealing.

I have one.

Plus points seem to be that it's sharp to very sharp across the frame from pretty much wide open and it's relatively compact and light plus the close focusing ability comes in handy. Minus points seem to be some ca especially with back lit subjects which I don't see as a big issue and some nervousness to the bokeh with some subjects and backgrounds but I see it as pretty much par for the course for a sharp 35mm. There's also vignetting but again I don't see it as a big issue. All in all I think it's a very nice lens and any downsides are livable.

I have one.

Plus points seem to be that it's sharp to very sharp across the frame from pretty much wide open and it's relatively compact and light plus the close focusing ability comes in handy. Minus points seem to be some ca especially with back lit subjects which I don't see as a big issue and some nervousness to the bokeh with some subjects and backgrounds but I see it as pretty much par for the course for a sharp 35mm. There's also vignetting but again I don't see it as a big issue. All in all I think it's a very nice lens and any downsides are livable.

Thanks for that. I've bolded the bit that worries me most, as it might get used a couple of times a year with a HiLite background when space is severely restricted.

Had one briefly, really liked it apart from the CA wide open. Even liked it's bokeh.

I have had the distagon, the sigma art and the f/1.8.

Of the three I prefer the f/1.8.

The bokeh can be a bit ugly but it's light weight, the a.f is fast and it focuses reasonably close.

Hi,

I am in the process of moving my Nikon gear on to MBP and I should come out with enough to buy either a grey 200-600mm and A7rIV or the new Canon R5 (I have a Sigma 150-600mm S in EF fit so lens not needed so much.

As this combo would be used basically for fast moving subjects just how widespread is this lens/body conflict with the Sony and are they acknowledging it?

TIA.

Hi,

I am in the process of moving my Nikon gear on to MBP and I should come out with enough to buy either a grey 200-600mm and A7rIV or the new Canon R5 (I have a Sigma 150-600mm S in EF fit so lens not needed so much.

As this combo would be used basically for fast moving subjects just how widespread is this lens/body conflict with the Sony and are they acknowledging it?

TIA.

A7RIV and 200-600mm is currently available unlike the Canon R5. Also if the rumored prices turn out to be true for price of a single R5 you can get both A7RIV+200-600mm and have spare change for another lens.

As for the issues on this forum it seems couple folks have this issue but there are more that don't. As with most issues out there folks that experience it will obviously be more vocal, no one is going to come online to say their camera and lens works as expected. So IMO there is a good chance you will not be affected. Just make sure you buy from a good seller who accepts returns easily.

I know of no public acknowledgement by Sony.

Also R5 (going by rumours again) seems to have a similar amount of megapixels to A7RIII. There are no issues with A7RIII+200-600mm. Plus it can be had at really nice bargains these days (nearly 1/4th price of R5).

Last edited:
Hi,

TIA.
I'm not really seeing this problem, a few in a burst are a little OOF but that's normal for just about any camera I do try to shoot at 1/3200 or above if possible generally 1/4000 f 6.3 iso 800 is my go to bright light setting.
Rob.

Weddings back on in Northern Ireland from the 8th of June, but outdoor ceremonies only and a maximum of 10 people.

Might be able to work a bit this year after all. :oops: :$ :banana:

your job certainly made a bit easier too thanks to less folks getting in the way ;)
but you'll miss quite number of nice family/friends shots

I have but I'm probably on your ignore list :p

I have some video projects coming up, where I need a device like the Sony ZV-1

Not yet. Once I realised you are both a Leica and Fuji fanboy you're posts made a lot more sense :D

As long as you can control your previous fixation with my manual lenses and desist from trolling in this thread I couldn't give a toss what you've owned. Which is how it should be. They're just tools :D

your job certainly made a bit easier too thanks to less folks getting in the way ;)
but you'll miss quite number of nice family/friends shots

Vast majority have cancelled now anyway.
There won’t be many who will to proceed with only 10 people allowed including photographer, videographer, celebrant etc. Especially with no wedding reception allowed but does give some hope.

It looks like the earlier prediction from Tommy was right. The rumor guy says the next Tamron lens will be an affordable super zoom the size of the 28-75mm.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the...zoom-and-has-the-same-size-of-the-28-75mm-fe/

That could be nice. When I got my first DSLR, Canon 300D, I got a Sigma 28-300mm with it. It wasn't a great lens but the zoom range was nice and it made a good day out and holiday lens.

Last edited:
Vast majority have cancelled now anyway.
There won’t be many who will to proceed with only 10 people allowed including photographer, videographer, celebrant etc. Especially with no wedding reception allowed but does give some hope.

9 people + 1 photographer?
then you an your missus can do two weddings on the same day where you'd only be doing one together?

9 people + 1 photographer?
then you an your missus can do two weddings on the same day where you'd only be doing one together?

There are very few small weddings here it’s not like England were the norm is 30-40 guests most here are around 150 or so. We have done weddings with 400 guests.

Small weddings other than elopement a are reasonably rare here.

There are very few small weddings here it’s not like England were the norm is 30-40 guests most here are around 150 or so. We have done weddings with 400 guests.

Small weddings other than elopement a are reasonably rare here.

my wedding had 500 people :D

You must be a popular boy. :ROFLMAO:

I have 9 uncles and aunts, 22 cousins+their husband/wives+children. Got 70 people right there. All that just first immediate relations not counting my dads and mums cousins lol.
Then there are friends also.
Grows exponentially :p :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
A7RIV and 200-600mm is currently available unlike the Canon R5. Also if the rumored prices turn out to be true for price of a single R5 you can get both A7RIV+200-600mm and have spare change for another lens.

How expensive is the R5 rumoured to be? :eek::eek::eek:

B&H in the states had a page set up for it at $4000 but it was quickly deleted.

that's considerably less than what some Australia site had it on for.
4K for 8K :D
Certainly means I might be able to afford it one day.

No chance.

The video peeps will pay for it, look at the spec, it's got full read out at 4k 120fps and 8k 30p 422 in 10 bit. That is very impressive. Looks like they've thrown in the kitchen sink which is very unlike Canon.

Last edited:
that's considerably less than what some Australia site had it on for.
4K for 8K :D
Certainly means I might be able to afford it one day.

Camera equipment in Australia is ridiculously expensive always has been and its much worse at the moment.

Last edited:
The video peeps will pay for it, look at the spec, it's got full read out at 4k 120fps and 8k 30p 422 in 10 bit. That is very impressive. Looks like they've thrown in the kitchen sink which is very unlike Canon.

i just don't see it being over £4k and certainly not over £5.5k

Last edited:
Isn’t outdoor ceremony illegal in England unless it’s under some sort of roof like a pagoda? There are like a handful of places that have the licence to do this.

Isn’t outdoor ceremony illegal in England unless it’s under some sort of roof like a pagoda? There are like a handful of places that have the licence to do this.

I seem to remember reading that somewhere a while back maybe they will change that. It’s quite popular here we got married outdoors ourselves and that was about 12 years ago. Outdoor ceremonies are probably my favourite.

Back