The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

awesome, found a work around for the af point activation, flexible spot, activate it only once, use BBF afc and the next time you need to move the point don't press the activation button just press any direction. even when I turn the camera off and on I don't need to activate the point selector.
One small problem with this is if you want to change your ISO or Drive Mode then you will have to go into the FN menu as you are in effect disabling all the dial wheel functions.

thats strange, when I had my last A6000 I could never ever get the panoramic mode to work, yet with this one its a breeze, lots of other people had the same problem back then so I'm not sure if they did a firmware update to help

Loving the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 so far, it's really versatile, it's even great for wildlife, i was filming a bee at F/1.4 and it get's a decent video. I've had my first proper play with my A6500 today and i'm starting to notice what's good and bad, i'm liking my custom buttons and getting used to them, i've a lot to learn though, i was trying to transition focus smoothly between a flower which was ~ 30cm in front of me to the beach which was about 400m in front (and below) me and i was struggling to get a smoothzoom, what would be the best focus setting for that? The manual zoom is not smooth on the sigma, it's either slow and takes a few turns to get from 30cm to infinity, or it's too fast.

One small problem with this is if you want to change your ISO or Drive Mode then you will have to go into the FN menu as you are in effect disabling all the dial wheel functions.

Not that it effects me but I could assign c1-4 with whatever I need and it works.

Loving the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 so far, it's really versatile, it's even great for wildlife, i was filming a bee at F/1.4 and it get's a decent video. I've had my first proper play with my A6500 today and i'm starting to notice what's good and bad, i'm liking my custom buttons and getting used to them, i've a lot to learn though, i was trying to transition focus smoothly between a flower which was ~ 30cm in front of me to the beach which was about 400m in front (and below) me and i was struggling to get a smoothzoom, what would be the best focus setting for that? The manual zoom is not smooth on the sigma, it's either slow and takes a few turns to get from 30cm to infinity, or it's too fast.

fly by wire, way it is. you need a nice manual lens.

Well according to this person Sony A9 ain't looking so good :p
That buffer clear time is ridiculous. I could put up with on a camera like A7RII but on a sport oriented model like A9 that's just poor.

Would be interesting to see what AF settings he used as the AF performance results seem questionable compared to other reviews out there.

I doubt the buffer clear time is going to affect many in real world scenarios.

Sony has clearly marketed the Sony A9 as a sports camera but it seems to be going down well with wedding photographers too.

Would be interesting to see what AF settings he used as the AF performance results seem questionable compared to other reviews out there.

Sony has clearly marketed the Sony A9 as a sports camera but it seems to be going down well with wedding photographers too.

I'd imagine for sports or wildlife it could prove to be an issue. Not so much for weddings though. Can't hink of too many scenarios when you'll need to hold the finger down at 20fps

I thought the point of the A9 was unlimited buffer and one of the major downsides of the A7 is the time it takes to clear the buffer?

I thought the point of the A9 was unlimited buffer and one of the major downsides of the A7 is the time it takes to clear the buffer?

No the buffer was never unlimited, it has the following buffer depths (approx):-

JPEG Extra fine L: 362
JPEG Fine L: 362
JPEG Standard L: 362
RAW: 241
RAW & JPG: 222
RAW (Uncompressed): 128
RAW (Uncompressed) & JPG: 118

The issue was that on the original A7 bodies when you hit the buffer it pretty much halted the body to a standstill, the buffer clear time was pretty bad and you couldn't review images.

On the Sony A9 you can still image review and continue shooting albeit at a slower pace.

Well according to this person Sony A9 ain't looking so good [emoji14]
That buffer clear time is ridiculous. I could put up with on a camera like A7RII but on a sport oriented model like A9 that's just poor.
Well I've shot sports so I'm clueless I guess in saying that I ain't hit the buffer on mine

Thought it was about 30 seconds to clear. Not nearly a minute? Going to try it myself tomorrow

The video you yourself posted above said 54 seconds @10:10

Even 30sec sucks compared to ~5 seconds of canikon.

Last edited:
To be honest, if you are one of those that can't wait for buffer to clear in NFL games, being a professional, you have 2 bodies anyway so just pick up the other one while one is clearing the buffer.
Two bodies with probably different lenses giving complimentary field of view. So if you still want to use the other lens you are screwed. Messing about changing lenses takes more than 5 seconds too.

So compressed raw is 241 shots, I know this thing does 20fps which is little over 12 seconds of continuous machine gunning.

However, surely you are not going to weld your finger to the shutter all through a game of whatever. Fire bursts at appropriate moments and manage your buffer, it's not hard. If it's such a problem lower your frame rate or shoot video.

So compressed raw is 241 shots, I know this thing does 20fps which is little over 12 seconds of continuous machine gunning.

However, surely you are not going to weld your finger to the shutter all through a game of whatever. Fire bursts at appropriate moments and manage your buffer, it's not hard. If it's such a problem lower your frame rate or shoot video.
+1.

Honestly it's not a big deal for me anyway and I've shot sports already. For reference. You can shoot Usain Bolt from start to finish without the buffer over flowing at 20fps!

I don't think many other sports togger shoots like that

+1.

Honestly it's not a big deal for me anyway and I've shot sports already. For reference. You can shoot Usain Bolt from start to finish without the buffer over flowing at 20fps!

I don't think many other sports togger shoots like that

Yeah can't imagine too many scenarios where you'd need to hold the finger down for so long. Looks cool. Roll on the a7iii

Back