The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

In that case, on paper, maybe you should skip the A7Riii then, it’s that simple.

Why is this the only reply?

Why can't we point it out and perhaps Sony peeps can read this and improve it on the next one, as opposed to they reading it and thinks the customers are happy, they will just buy out more expensive A9 camera and constantly gimp the 2nd tier one.

Why is this the only reply?

Why can't we point it out and perhaps Sony peeps can read this and improve it on the next one, as opposed to they reading it and thinks the customers are happy, they will just buy out more expensive A9 camera and constantly gimp the 2nd tier one.

I’d suggest that you’d be better off contacting Sony direct instead of hoping they read a random post on TalkPhotography. However, I would imagine that they would suggest an A9 instead (as some other wedding photographers use) as that’s their fast action/sports camera whereas the A7R is the higher MP landscape-geared camera.

I’d suggest that you’d be better off contacting Sony direct instead of hoping they read a random post on TalkPhotography. However, I would imagine that they would suggest an A9 instead (as some other wedding photographers use) as that’s their fast action/sports camera whereas the A7R is the higher MP landscape-geared camera.

Why is it the reply again? This is a forum, a thread about the A7/A9, the whole point of this is to discuss. Are we that vain and up our own backside that the only thing we can talk about is how great our gears are? Can we not be grown men and talk about something that is clearly missing from a the latest A7, especially when the concern legitimate and valid?

Don't buy it then, go talk about it somewhere else. Is that the only response?

Why is it the reply again? This is a forum, a thread about the A7/A9, the whole point of this is to discuss. Are we that vain and up our own backside that the only thing we can talk about is how great our gears are? Can we not be grown men and talk about something that is clearly missing from a the latest A7, especially when the concern legitimate and valid?

Don't buy it then, go talk about it somewhere else. Is that the only response?

Or are we that vein to expect a manufacturer to make every camera according to our very own requirements (YES!). I agree with you to some extent and I think they have a reason (probs processing) but I've been buying Sony for a long time along with every other camera and tbh in the past 2 gens they've come further than every other company and maybe that's why ill let them off a little with something so small. Canon has by far been the worst.

Last edited:
Or are we that vein to expect a manufacturer to make every camera according to our very own requirements (YES!). I agree with you but I've been buying Sony for a long time along with every other camera and tbh in the past 2 gens they've come further than every other company and maybe that's why is let them off a little with something so small. Canon has by far been the worst.

I have criticised Canon in the past, I am doing the same for Sony for the same flaws, for not doing so I would be a fan boy and a massive hypocrite.

I am not saying this is a massive flaw but it is frustrating when something so close to "perfect" that they don't take the last step, when the tech is there, when they put one slot in already.

Last edited:
If you don't like what I read, don't read it. Practice what you preach.

I have criticised Canon in the past, I am doing the same for Sony for the same flaws, for not doing so I would be a fan boy.

Mkay. If you don't like it don't buy it and stop your moaning.

Last edited:
Mkay. If you don't like it don't buy it and stop your moaning.

But you are guessing why they didn't and haven't.

Like I said, I criticised Canon for the same. When another manufacturer does the exact same trick, they are not immune for the criticism. Why should they?

You can defend it with a guess, my point still stands.

And yes, when they put in what we want, D850 happens.

I have criticised Canon in the past, I am doing the same for Sony for the same flaws, for not doing so I would be a fan boy and a massive hypocrite.

I am not saying this is a massive flaw but it is frustrating when something so close to "perfect" that they don't take the last step, when the tech is there, when they put one slot in already.
Ahh, the illusive dream ;)

I worry about 1 second redundancy, my standard is very simple, if you do something, do it properly.

If you do redundancy, do it for every shot.
If you put in 2 card slots, make it the same.

It's not too much to ask is it?

I think it’s become clear today that it is.

Clearly for Canon and Sony, it is.

So they both get the flak, it's only fair.

That’s fine. It’s not perfect and if canon get flak you have the right to moan too. Although none of us here have too much influence over what sony do, other than not buy the camera if it doesn’t suit us. Voting with your wallet is probably the best way in all fairness.

As a pro, you must shoot hundreds of weddings. How many times has a card failed on you? Perhaps try and work out the probability of this happening, do your risk assessment and then establish if this is actually a real issue.

I asked on here not too long ago how many people have had a card fail. Nobody with an a7 series camera out their hand up.

That’s fine. It’s not perfect and if canon get flak you have the right to moan too. Although none of us here have too much influence over what sony do, other than not buy the camera if it doesn’t suit us. Voting with your wallet is probably the best way in all fairness.

As a pro, you must shoot hundreds of weddings. How many times has a card failed on you? Perhaps try and work out the probability of this happening, do your risk assessment and then establish if this is actually a real issue.

I asked on here not too long ago how many people have had a card fail. Nobody with an a7 series camera out their hand up.

I have had 2 cards failed on me in the past, and if there is even 0.0000000001% of it happening, I shoot redundancy, as any responsible professional do, someone else's wedding is not your risk to take. You do everything you can available to you to minimise your risk. You own it to the client to be responsible.

But you are guessing why they didn't and haven't.

Like I said, I criticised Canon for the same. When another manufacturer does the exact same trick, they are not immune for the criticism. Why should they?

You can defend it with a guess, my point still stands.

And yes, when they put in what we want, D850 happens.

Your negative is based on a guess that they were to tight to fit a card reader that cost 50p more! Rather than anything else.

Buy the d850 perhaps?

I have had 2 cards failed on me in the past, and if there is even 0.0000000001% of it happening, I shoot redundancy, as any responsible professional do, someone else's wedding is not your risk to take. You do everything you can available to you to minimise your risk. You own it to the client to be responsible.

I’m amazed you manage to cross the road :)

Well clearly it’s not the system for you then.

The Sony SF-G 300 MB/s SD cards seem fast enough ;)

Last edited:
Your negative is based on a guess that they were to tight to fit a card reader that cost 50p more! Rather than anything else.

Buy the d850 perhaps?

My negatively is base on not having 2 UHS-2, I said if it’s costs, I’d happily pay it. Anything else, they just need to do work Nikon did, solve the problem.

Why are you going to get this camera if it clearly too much of a risk to you? It doesn’t make sense.

It’s a risk if I don’t shoot redundancy, hence my gripe with the UHS-1 slot. Having 2 slots is the entire point of redundancy...was I not clear in my initial post?

Last edited:
It’s a risk if I don’t shoot redundancy, hence my gripe with the UHS-1 slot. Having 2 slots of the entire point, redundancy...was I not clear in my initial post?

No that bit you have made clear. What’s not clear to me is why you would buy it if it’s too risky for you to use? Maybe I missed that bit.

No that bit you have made clear. What’s not clear to me is why you would buy it if it’s too risky for you to use? Maybe I missed that bit.

I didn’t say buying it is risky for my use, I never said that. I merely said it is frustrating for them not taking that last step by not putting in two of the same card slots.

My negatively is base on not having 2 UHS-2, I said if it’s costs, I’d happily pay it. Anything else, they just need to do work Nikon did, solve the problem.

What is the point of 2x uhs2 if the camera possibly cant deal with that data effectively.

How do you know it isn't?

Because Nikon pulled it off.

I feel like I am not getting it through. The tech is there, it’s been done, it’s call the D850. It’s not in the R3, hence my initial post. You can say “don’t buy it then” but it does not change the fact that the spec is the way it is and my point stands.

Because Nikon pulled it off.

I feel like I am not getting it through. The tech is there, it’s been done, it’s call the D850. It’s not in the R3, hence my initial post. You can say “don’t buy it then” but it does not change the fact that the spec is the way it is and my point stands.

And the d850 doesn't have to add an evf to the processing or the smaller body / heat to deal with that might just restrict it. I understand what the spec is and that if it bothers you then don't buy it.

I understand you're annoyed by it. But it is what is.

The way you've been repeating it makes it seem like you think it's an established fact. Put up or shut up.

Not at all, just going around in circles with the op. I'm not sure they would cripple the second slot on purpose but neither of us can prove either way.

Last edited:
Back