The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Getting the focus on the subject's eye and keeping track of it before you even get into position to take the photograph makes things super fast

- You get focus on approach
- On approach decide best angle to take photo
- If anything about the situation develops, you are ready and in focus to take the photo with a composition that suits you and not the focal point.

To be fair, if the AF isn't on par with the D750/D500 it's going to come down to individual shoot requirements/demands, you may not even need D750/D500 levels of AF if your shooting static subjects all the time.

A lot of people go on about the amazing the AF abilities of the D750 are but they sometimes forget real-world differences and advantages of Sony Eye-AF and EVF's

Here's one for the Nikon DSLR owners...... and imagine that the AF on the Sony A7 III isn't quite as good as the AF in the D750.

Scenario: Portrait Shoot including Focusing on the Eye.

Nikon D750
AF on subject using shutter button / move the focus point onto the eye
Take photo
Review photo for correct exposure / depth of field

Sony A7 III
AF on subject using shutter + assigned Eye-AF button
Take photo
Is there a real need to review for correct exposure / depth of field as you had already seen this via EVF thus saving time.

So in this scenario which would actually be the quicker camera considering the AF on the D750 might be better?

:D

Yeap - it’s horse for courses. For me, Sony eye af is impossible to ignore if you shoot people.

Yes I agree the camera can be ready before your ready to press the button.. The eye AF is something I am really wanting me being lazy i suppose but it nice to have.

Getting the focus on the subject's eye and keeping track of it before you even get into position to take the photograph makes things super fast

- You get focus on approach
- On approach decide best angle to take photo
- If anything about the situation develops, you are ready and in focus to take the photo with a composition that suits you and not the focal point.
Its proper Jedi stuff the Eye-AF....... I hope Sony work on it more so that it gives you the following options:-
@jonneymendoza please add to firmware list for show ;)

- Default Eye-AF preferred Eye - Left/Right
- Multi Face & Eye-AF - this allow the camera to focus on multiple faces & eyes by evaluating depths to each subjects face/eye and then automatically adjusting the lens so that all the faces/eyes are in focus.
- Animal Eye-AF

:D lol

Yes I agree the camera can be ready before your ready to press the button.. The eye AF is something I am really wanting me being lazy i suppose but it nice to have.
Time to pre-order the Sony A7 III then boi..... Eye-AF all day long! :D

To be fair, if the AF isn't on par with the D750/D500 it's going to come down to individual shoot requirements/demands, you may not even need D750/D500 levels of AF if your shooting static subjects all the time.

A lot of people go on about the amazing the AF abilities of the D750 are but they sometimes forget real-world differences and advantages of Sony Eye-AF and EVF's

Here's one for the Nikon DSLR owners...... and imagine that the AF on the Sony A7 III isn't quite as good as the AF in the D750.

Nikon D750
Take photo

Sony A7 III
Take photo
Is there a real need to review for correct exposure / depth of field as you had already seen this via EVF thus saving time.

So in this scenario which would actually be the quicker camera considering the AF on the D750 might be better?

In my head I am think for equestrian the D750 is the better option as it involves tracking... but I used to take (and sell) equestrian shots with my Olympus E620 and that tracked them just fine!

I honestly don't think I push the limits of the D750 AF and would be disspointed if the A7iii couldnt keep up with horses!

In my head I am think for equestrian the D750 is the better option as it involves tracking... but I used to take (and sell) equestrian shots with my Olympus E620 and that tracked them just fine!

I honestly don't think I push the limits of the D750 AF and would be disspointed if the A7iii couldnt keep up with horses!

Save the money and go on holiday

I don't shoot with THIS camera held up to the eye, most of the time I hold it around chest height and use the flip screen - I'm comfortable doing this one handed even.

Can't do this so well in vertical position though because the screen doesn't go that way... so most shots are horizontal !

Ergonomics would not be a deciding factor for me with this camera, the performance would make it worth whatever arthritis it could have brought on :) but it's really not that bad

:) no thanks!
I do have to think about my hands tbh, they're fubar :(

Nikon D750
Take photo

Sony A7 III
Take photo

Yep, it's whatever suits the individual. TBH though I'm expecting the AF on the A7iii to be equal or better than the D750.

Question regarding eye AF, what happens if there's multiple people in the frame, does it lock on to the nearest one?

Yep, it's whatever suits the individual. TBH though I'm expecting the AF on the A7iii to be equal or better than the D750.

Question regarding eye AF, what happens if there's multiple people in the frame, does it lock on to the nearest one?

You get grey squares on each face in view that it works out, as you point camera directly at person it turns white, if you engage eye af it picks who's got the white box at the time

Last edited:

I would hope it is as good as the D750, but doubt it would reach D500 tracking abilities!

Eye AF sounds really good for discreet shooting - I mean how many people look better before they realise its picture time and forced smiles appear!

I would hope it is as good as the D750, but doubt it would reach D500 tracking abilities!

Eye AF sounds really good for discreet shooting - I mean how many people look better before they realise its picture time and forced smiles appear!
I didn't find a great deal of difference in tracking between then D750 and D500 tbh, although acquisition was snappier on the D500. For the difficult things I shoot acquisition speed is vital, it will be interesting to see how good the latest A7's are in this regards. Hopefully I'll get to try for myself at some point.

Hoping the a7iii is nearly as good as the a9 af as reviewed. Don't really want to start spending a9 money on gear again.

Thats expensive! I might end up coming away from the camera store with a new Nikon lens instead! Who knows!!

Hoping the a7iii is nearly as good as the a9 af as reviewed. Don't really want to start spending a9 money on gear again.

I doubt its going to come close to the Sony A9 AF abilities. You have to remember that the Sony A7 III AF system is 2x better than the A7 II.
However accuracy should be spot on and the AF abilities should be adequate for most people. :)

Sony A7 - Slower AF.
Sony A7 II - 30% better AF vs A7.
Sony A7 III - 2x better AF vs A7 II.

Last edited:
I doubt its going to come close to the Sony A9 AF abilities. You have to remember that the Sony A7 III AF system is 2x better than the A7 II.
However accuracy should be spot on and the AF abilities should be adequate for most people. :)

Sony A7 - Slower AF.
Sony A7 II - 30% better AF vs A7.
Sony A7 III - 2x better AF vs A7 II.

2 x better than the A7II is quite impressive! Just been looking at some flickr shots of indoor sports using the II and tehy don't look too shabby!!

2 x better than the A7II is quite impressive! Just been looking at some flickr shots of indoor sports using the II and tehy don't look too shabby!!
Exactly, its such a impressive camera for £1999!

Looking at this I think you may be mistaken in terms of Eye AF, it actually looks better than the A9 in terms of acquiring and keeping lock.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWD2nwd8Mc

Looking at this I think you may be mistaken in terms of Eye AF, it actually looks better than the A9 in terms of acquiring and keeping lock.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWD2nwd8Mc

That could be down to various reasons, its not really a lab based test so should be taken with a pinch of salt.
However my theory is that it could be down to the Sony A7 III having a greater number of contrast-detect points compared to the Sony A9. I believe face-detect / Eye-AF uses contrast detect points, don't quote me on that though I would have to look it up.
As a whole the Sony A9's AF system is the quicker out of the two, remember it scans AF/AE 60 times a second due to the RS CMOS sensor design, I think the Sony A7 III might only be 20 times.
But for £1999 the Sony A7 III is great value.

Last edited:
That could be down to various reasons, its not really a lab based test so should be taken with a pinch of salt.
However my theory is that it could be down to the Sony A7 III having a greater number of contrast-detect points compared to the Sony A9. I believe face-detect / Eye-AF using contrast detect points, don't quote me on that though I would have to look it up.
As a whole the Sony A9's AF system is the quicker out of the two, remember it scans AF/AE 60 times a second due to the RS CMOS sensor design, I think the Sony A7 III might only be 20 times.

Same exposure, controlled light, same lens, same scene. How much more controlled do you need it? A73 definitely looks better for eye AF.

Same exposure, controlled light, same lens, same scene. How much more controlled do you need it? A73 definitely looks better for eye AF.
It's probably down to the additional contrast detect points but this doesn't prove that the Sony A7 III's AF system is better/faster than the Sony A9's. ;)

All it proves is its much better at Eye AF acquisition and tracking ;)
Correct, these new 3rd generation Sony bodies have really pushed the performance upwards.
We are reaching the point where is more performance actually needed.

Ha ha are this joke coming back what laugh it been in here these days

Back