The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah that one, although I can't see it some much on the linked one. Is that jpeg vs RAW or is it just TP rendering doing some weird stuff when you add it to a post. (it's most likely the latter as I know it over sharpens a lot of my images). Even if I zoom to 1:1 I can't see the stripes as much as the (unaltered) crops that you posted :confused: In fact I can barely see them at all.

I never take his videos seriously as it’s mostly bull****t!
The Sony A9 has one of the best EVF’s

The Sony A9 was geared towards silent shutter usage, you get lag on the mechanical shutters, it’s not the EVF or refresh though, this similar across all the A7 bodies and not just the A9.
Hmmm, that's not good for me as I'd almost always use mechanical shutter if I was to get the A7riii (I don't want the Jello effect on my panning shots ;))

What is it that causes the lag with the mechanical shutter then, I can't understand why one type of shutter would cause lag and the other wouldn't :confused:

Last edited:
So what happens at 10fps in image preview? Sorry not up on mirrorless so no idea so trying to get all info possible!

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7m3-body-kit#capture
Capture an instant action with continuous shooting of up to 10fps—or 8fps for live-view shooting—with AF/AE tracking. Up to approximately 177 JPEG (standard) images, 89 compressed RAW images, or 40 uncompressed RAW images can be captured in one continuous burst.

I got an urge to get a native lens to test out myself the real difference vs adapted. The question is what lens.

Don’t want any low end, low quality lens.
Trying to avoid focal lengths I’ve already have, but that will be hard.

I could start with a 24-70 G master....but I don’t use my Canon 24-70L much anyway... do as a lens that will get used? Very unlikely.

Zeiss 35/1.4? Favourite focal length but I don’t think any of them come close to my Canon.

The only lens I can think of is 55/1.8 Zeiss Sonar.

I got an urge to get a native lens to test out myself the real difference vs adapted. The question is what lens.

I could start with a 24-70 G master....but I don’t use my Canon 24-70L much anyway... do as a lens that will get used? Very unlikely.

Zeiss 35/1.4? Favourite focal length but I don’t think any of them come close to my Canon.

IQ wise I can't really think of a Sony FE lens that I'd say is bad or low quality.

Don't really know what you have on canon or your budget but you could try the 100mm STF which is pretty special.

we live in a small small world.... its not hard for me to find someone coming over here from US :D

Considering this is a new sensor & any possible problems we’ve still yet to see Sony recognise or resolve, I’m not sure I’d be buying a body abroad. Not unless Sony do a worldwide warranty?

IQ wise I can't really think of a Sony FE lens that I'd say is bad or low quality.

Don't really know what you have on canon or your budget but you could try the 100mm STF which is pretty special.

Pretty much most of the sub 135mm lenses.

16-35L
24-70L
20/1.4 Art
24/1.4L mk2
35/1.4L mk2
45/2.8 TSE
50/1.4 Art
85/1.2L mk2
100L macro IS
135L

I don’t so much “budget”, I get it if it’s justified.

Last edited:
Pretty much most of the sub 135mm lenses.

16-35L
24-70L
20/1.4 sigma Art
24/1.4L mk2
35/1.4L mk2
45/2.8 TSE
50/1.4 Art
85/1.2L mk2
100L macro IS
135L

I don’t so much “budget”, I get it if it’s justified.

FE28 or FE55 - Most of your lenses are fast and big so I guess you'd may be benefit got a smaller slower native version?
FE12-24 - wider than what you have
FE24-105 - more versatile option
FE100 STF - just a special lens in terms of rendering, with a bit of history from Minolta
70-200mm, 70-300mm or 100-400mm - because your don't have these and gives you more reach.

There is also zeiss batis 18mm/2.8 which is insanely sharp and also batis 25mm f/2.
Tokina will soon come out with a 20mm f2 AF lens which could be interesting also.

Last edited:
Look at the fuss they create purposely holding stock back to increase demand and make more people want it just because there is a waiting list and ‘no stock’;). The more waiting, the more hype, the more hype, the more interest. Bet they’re stock piling loads of them.
Sony are not the only company to do this, how long was the back log of the D850, how long is the back log of each new iPhone that comes out how long.......

Yes but the EVF won’t give you live view :(
You need to use 8 fps to get live view.
So you have to shoot blind if you want 10fps? :eek:

Sony are not the only company to do this, how long was the back log of the D850, how long is the back log of each new iPhone that comes out how long.......

Err that’s the bit I don’t get either!!! I need to lie down.

FE28 or FE55 - Most of your lenses are fast and big so I guess you'd may be benefit got a smaller slower native version?
FE12-24 - wider than what you have
FE24-105 - more versatile option
FE100 STF - just a special lens in terms of rendering, with a bit of history from Minolta
70-200mm, 70-300mm or 100-400mm - because your don't have these and gives you more reach.

There are a couple of personal rules.

1 - no F/4 zooms - it’s slow
2 - no variable aperture lenses. Pain in the butt.
3 - no 2.8 primes. Might as well get a zoom.

I had a 70-200/2.8 for the Canon, bought it for a series of jobs, job ended, sold the lens. It’s not a focal length that I like, I find it incredibly impersonal. I don’t have those focal lengths is because I don’t shoot at those focal lengths.

Last edited:
There are a couple of personal rules.

1 - no F/4 zooms - it’s slow
2 - no variable aperture lenses. Pain in the butt.
3 - no 2.8 primes. Might as well get a zoom.

I had a 70-200/2.8 for the Canon, bought it for a series of jobs, job ended, sold the lens. It’s not a focal length that I like, I find it incredibly impersonal. I don’t have those focal lengths is because I don’t shoot at those focal lengths.

But there are exceptions to rules sometimes right like your ts-e lens or macro lens are f2.8 primes ;)

Same kind of exception could apply for 100mm STF or 12-24mm.

Otherwise your options are FE28, FE55, FE90, batis 25mm, tokina 20mm when it's out.

And of course there are equivalent lenses on Sony to your canon line up.

You could also wait for sigma 105mm/1.4 :D

Last edited:
But there are exceptions to rules sometimes right like your ts-e lens or macro lens are f2.8 primes ;)

Same kind of exception could apply for 100mm STF or 12-24mm.

Otherwise your options are FE28, FE55, batis 25mm, tokina 20mm when it's out.

And of course there are equivalent lenses on Sony to your canon line up.

You could also wait for sigma 105mm/1.4 :D

Your last sentence is what I’m just thinking, but I’ll probably end up getting Canon mount though...and use it for both.

So let’s scrap that off the list.

Which means I don’t need another 100mm lens of the STF.

FE 85 1.8 or the 55mm would be my choice.

It’s hard for me to try and explain/show.... this might explain it better...

What you are not getting here is the a9’s Exmor RS stacked sensor and all the incredible breakthroughs that come from it. The a9 has a far better buffer and faster processing, and has blackout-free live view continuous shooting up to 20 frames per second; the a7 III can do live view up to 8 frames per second with blackouts, 10 with blackouts and showing the last photo taken in the viewfinder instead of a live view. The a9 (and the a7R III) also have a higher resolution EVF and LCD screen by the numbers, but without seeing the cameras side by side I didn’t notice anything in terms of “lower quality” with the a7 III. The a9 also has an awesome added physical dial on top for controlling the drive mode and focus mode of the camera without jumping into menus. Of course there are other smaller variances to examine if you are in the market for one of them, but these are the main differences.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/hands-sony-a7-iii-new-normal-227593

Your last sentence is what I’m just thinking, but I’ll probably end up getting Canon mount though...and use it for both.

So let’s scrap that off the list.

Which means I don’t need another 100mm lens of the STF.

You'd be buying that lens more for the STF feature than 100mm :)

Well then there is 90mm macro :D
If you don't need another macro you might as well try one of the three 85mm options but I am thinking you'll probably prefer the 85mm/1.2 rendering anyway....

What you are not getting here is the a9’s Exmor RS stacked sensor and all the incredible breakthroughs that come from it. The a9 has a far better buffer and faster processing, and has blackout-free live view continuous shooting up to 20 frames per second; the a7 III can do live view up to 8 frames per second with blackouts, 10 with blackouts and showing the last photo taken in the viewfinder instead of a live view. The a9 (and the a7R III) also have a higher resolution EVF and LCD screen by the numbers, but without seeing the cameras side by side I didn’t notice anything in terms of “lower quality” with the a7 III. The a9 also has an awesome added physical dial on top for controlling the drive mode and focus mode of the camera without jumping into menus. Of course there are other smaller variances to examine if you are in the market for one of them, but these are the main differences.

I get you now! So really the 10fps isn’t really needed but sounds good. For static objects you don’t really need it and for moving and panning you definitely want live view and therefore the 8fps.

Long live the the D500!!! :ROFLMAO:

I get you now! So really the 10fps isn’t really needed but sounds good. For static objects you don’t really need it and for moving and panning you definitely want live view and therefore the 8fps.

Correct, 8 fps is the way to go for tracking subjects quickly. :) lol

Apsc though ;)

Yeah, sorry I understood that it was more a rhetorical question ;) I just don't get the point of a putting in a function to shoot at 10fps if you have to shoot blind. Why not just make it 8fps and be done :confused: I guess it looks good on the stats ;)

So the angry dude was shooting in mechanical hence the EVF looking laggy?

Electronic shutter and 8fps it is!!!
Not unless you want banding and jello effect ;)

Yeah, sorry I understood that it was more a rhetorical question ;) I just don't get the point of a putting in a function to shoot at 10fps if you have to shoot blind. Why not just make it 8fps and be done :confused: I guess it looks good on the stats ;)

True. But A9 is 20fps electronic and 10fps sounds good for the price!

That’s why it cost so much!

So the angry dude was shooting in mechanical hence the EVF looking laggy?

Electronic shutter and 8fps it is!!!

Not quite as simple as that.
Electronic shutter on anything moving quickly will cause a jello effect on the subjects, it can also introduce some banding but that is mostly mitigated with Sony’s Anti-Flicker function which sync’s your shutter speed with lighting frequency.

So without real-work testing, I’d recommend 8 fps mechanical only.

Mr Angry was comparing mechanical shutters between the Fuji XT-2 and Sony A9 and how the A9 EVF shows lag compared to the XT-2.
What he failed to take into consideration is that the Sony A9 is full-frame which has a bigger sensor, bigger shutter mechanism etc, because of this it has a greater lag compared to the XT-2. (APS-C).

He picked a weak point on the Sony A9 and exploited it on his video, if you want to do studio work with flash at high fps, the Sony A7R III would be a better choice.

Sony A9 vs Fuji XT-2 is no contest on many fronts, granted Fuji has its strong points also but both are very different beasts.

True. But A9 is 20fps electronic and 10fps sounds good for the price!

That’s why it cost so much!
I think you missed my point tbh. It can only do 10fps without live view, i.e. you're shooting blind so why bother putting this feature in? Who shoots at 10fps without seeing what they're shooting?

Electronic shutter on anything moving quickly will cause a jello effect on the subjects, it can also introduce some banding but that is mostly mitigated with Sony’s Anti-Flicker function which sync’s your shutter speed with lighting frequency.

Mr Angry was comparing mechanical shutters between the Fuji XT-2 and Sony A9 and how the A9 EVF shows lag compared to the XT-2.
What he failed to take into consideration is that the Sony A9 is full-frame which has a bigger sensor, bigger shutter mechanism etc, because of this it has a greater lag compared to the XT-2. (APS-C).

I personally don't see what shutter size has to do with lag? I don't fully understand why you should get lag, but my guess would be that it takes time between the sensor 'seeing' the image again and that being translated to the EVF. However, this should be independent of shutter size, if you're shooting at 5fps the time it takes for the shutter to open and close is the same whether the shutter is large or small. This is of course me trying to apply some logic to it, there's probably far more to it than this.

He picked a weak point on the Sony A9 and exploited it on his video, if you want to do studio work with flash at high fps, the Sony A7R III would be a better choice.

Sony A9 vs Fuji XT-2 is no contest on many fronts, granted Fuji has its strong points also but both are very different beasts.

So is this a lose lose situation for action?!

Shoot electronic and you get the jello effect.

Shoot mechanical the EVF has to display the image after each shot which must give some sort of lag when tracking and firing off in CAF?

Back