The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hmmm.

I could treat myself to a modern AF 35mm f1.4 or wait for the (still no sign of it yet) compact 35mm f1.8 everyone hopes for.

Sigma UK. Its confirmed theyre on the delivery for next week. Spoke to them earlier on the phone

I was on the phone to Sigma about something else and they told me they would get stock next week but then they still have to go out to retailers.... so you may not get it next week but following.

I was on the phone to Sigma about something else and they told me they would get stock next week but then they still have to go out to retailers.... so you may not get it next week but following.

Yeah they said it would depend on customs!

Im just glad its not the end of the month. Im totally floored at how good the 85 is

Yeah they said it would depend on customs!

Im just glad its not the end of the month. Im totally floored at how good the 85 is

Yeah, have you used your 50? Guys at WEX told me they had a few 50s in but they all flew out today.

Ah, but which?

will depend on how good the samyang AF-C is after firmware update. Right now zeiss is winning. if samyang comes to 80-90% of zeiss AF performance I'll keep the samyang.

Last edited:
will depend on how good the samyang AF-C is after firmware update. Right now zeiss is winning. if samyang comes to 80-90% of zeiss performance I keep the samyang.

Its. really tough one isnt it, took me a weekend of side by side testing to decide. The Zeiss still edges it with oncoming subjects at fast FPS but overall the SY has better IQ.

Buy it, its an amazing lens.

I'm sure it is but it's very difficult for me to get time to myself these days as I'm a full time carer and increasingly so as it's taking more and more of my time plus I'm married now so my little photography hobby is very much on the back seat. If I have big kit I find it difficult to justify taking it out when I'm with Mrs WW, family or friends and when pushing a wheelchair doubly so, so I much prefer compact kit as it's easier to manage and not as noticeable or attention grabbing to others. If I had a lot of free time and could just go out for a day just about whenever I wanted with a camera and three or four lenses like I used to a few years ago then I'd very probably have one. £600 or so for something I'll hardly use seems a bit, questionable. £20-80 for a 40 year old lens, not so bad :D

I'm sure it is but it's very difficult for me to get time to myself these days as I'm a full time carer and increasingly so as it's taking more and more of my time plus I'm married now so my little photography hobby is very much on the back seat. If I have big kit I find it difficult to justify taking it out when I'm with Mrs WW, family or friends and when pushing a wheelchair doubly so, so I much prefer compact kit as it's easier to manage and not as noticeable or attention grabbing to others. If I had a lot of free time and could just go out for a day just about whenever I wanted with a camera and three or four lenses like I used to a few years ago then I'd very probably have one. £600 or so for something I'll hardly use seems a bit, questionable. £20-80 for a 40 year old lens, not so bad :D

I understand, but you have 20 of those £80 to much more expensives like your CV 40 1.2.

Do you think a peak design capture clip is an idea?

I use a man bag from a Thai floating market :D

But yes, add the cost of all those old lenses up and it probably comes to the cost of one and a half to two good new lenses. Modern lens wise I have 5, 28-70, 35mm f2.8, 55mm f1.8, 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2 and of course all my MFT kit :D It's not too much cost wise, you should see what I've spent on sportcars :D but I did use them every day.

Hi i tried out the new Sigma e mount 50mm in park cameras and what a rubbish lens!

The IQ is amazing
The AF is sensational
The AF sound is freaking silent

Ditch those zooms then
need the zooms for places where i cant change lenses. like hiking, in the beach etc but since owning the A7r2 i have become a big fan of primes.

My ultimate travel setup would be A9, 25mm batis 35mm 2.8 sy, 55mm sony 1.8 and the 85mm batis. what a setup!

need the zooms for places where i cant change lenses. like hiking, in the beach etc but since owning the A7r2 i have become a big fan of primes.

My ultimate travel setup would be A9, 25mm batis 35mm 2.8 sy, 55mm sony 1.8 and the 85mm batis. what a setup!

You already have all of them.

why travel with A9, surely the A7RIII is better for travel. You get plenty for cropping room in case you need extra reach. Its not like you need the speed of the A9 on travels and its bulkier than A7RIII.

Honestly I’m happy with the Tamron, yes its missing a couple of things (24mm for one!) and I’m surprised how much I miss the on-len custom button but for £700 I don’t think I can complain.
I need to do some more shooting and try it for some night shots but I’m not seeing any real difference the 24-105 (which seems to bear out the more technical comparisons)

No real preference then, both good? I have paid fot the Tamron when it arrives in the local camera shop, but have the option to pay the extra for the Sony.

I’m currently looking for a smaller camera to supplement my existing kit. I want a smaller, lighter camera for general shooting.

I shoot mainly people but I also enjoy architectural and landscape.

I’m torn between the A9 or the A7RIII.

The megapixel count of the A7RIII would obviously be of benefit to me in my shooting. However the autofocus of the A9 looks more inline with what I’ve come to expect of my pro DSLR kit.

Thoughts...

I’m currently looking for a smaller camera to supplement my existing kit. I want a smaller, lighter camera for general shooting.

The megapixel count of the A7RIII would obviously be of benefit to me in my shooting. However the autofocus of the A9 looks more inline with what I’ve come to expect of my pro DSLR kit.

Thoughts...

What DSLR kit do you use John? The A7riii would be a match for most things AF wise up to about a D850 - the more sport oriented things like a D5 though and your in A9 territory.

Thoughts...

What is your style shooting people, is it fast reportage style, or more measured? I went for the A9 purely for the no black out EVF and stacked sensor, if that wasn't important to me (as I shoot action a lot) I would've happily gone for the A7mkIII. As you also shoot landscape, the A7RmkIII would seem to be the better choice? I don't know that the differences in AF performance would be a major issue for your use, but there are experienced shooters here with the A7RmkIII who can give more advice, oh and Johnny might have an opinion as well... Only joking Johnny! :D

Native Sony G. I also have the Canon 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L, 100L Macro.

1DX Mark II

The A9 is more in line with the 1DX but really depends what your shooting, if its a backup then maybe you don't need exactly the same performance?

Native Sony G. I also have the Canon 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L, 100L Macro.

1DX Mark II

All big lenses....or very similar size to the Canon.

You’ll save a bit of weight on the body and if you are used to the 1D body then a Sony body will be too short for you...add a grip then you are back to square 1, saving nothing, especially not money.

Don’t buy a Sony for weight saving if you intend to get G-Master (or any fast aperture) lenses.

Last edited:
All big lenses....or very similar size to the Canon.

You’ll save a bit of weight on the body and if you are used to the 1D body then a Sony body will be too short for you...add a grip then you are back to square 1, saving nothing, especially not money.

Don’t buy a Sony for weight saving if you intend to get G-Master (or any fast aperture) lenses.
Indeed.

The best way to use a sony is with 1.8ish prime lenses and no batter grip.

You are pretty much set if you buy a 25/35/55/85 primes . all 4 lenses are probably weighing less then a single 70-200 f2.8!

Anyways i do notice the AF on the r3 vs the a9. The A9 is just too damm good at af. on another level but the r3 af is fine for a lot of stuff.

A9 also does landscape really well!

JDR05819.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

JDR05166-Pano.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

JDR05335.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

AbuDhabi-A9-shots-pt1-706.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

What's the silent mode like on the A7R iii?

I'm not overly familiar with mirrorless technology, are there downsides to using the electronic shutter to reduce noise?

Back