1. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yup. If his site was called "The Great Nikon Love In" I wouldn't be whinging and as a former owner I'd probably happily read it. I somehow thought he'd retain some objectivity but I think that's too much to hope for as he does seem to be completely Nikon centric. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, it's my expectations that are off and I'll try and keep that in mind next time I visit his site.

2. F/1.4

F/1.4

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thom Hogan has always struck me as a know it all with some sort of superiority complex. His website grinds my gears and I had forgot about him until there was a link to his "unbiased" A7III review lol

He writes as if hes the oracle and all knowing guru of cameras. Dishing out advice on what the companies need to do.

A Ken Rockwell of sorts lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    twist likes this.
  3. footman

footman

Name:
    Laurence
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I really needed to get it or at least something equal to it as now we have family living in the USA and soon to have grandchildren we will be spending quite a bit of time there. The thought of being there for weeks on end and not being able to process my shots would drive me crazy, the laptop I have weighs more than 3 times the Ipad!
    I went into the Apple store in Kingston with the full intention of just looking and buying a refurb but lust got the better of me and I decided to buy a new one.

As often it was chaos in there but I eventually got the attention of a staff member, just about to start the conversation when some woman nearby started having a massive rant about if she bought her Ipad there then that store would set it up for her but if she bought it elsewhere then that shop would have to do it. She was going mental and was taking up the time of every available staff member. "Sod it I thought,I'll buy the refurb" and out I walked but I had to walk past John Lewis so I popped in there. End result, it was £50 cheaper and I got 2 years warranty instead of one year. Sorry about the long story:D

chrism_scotland likes this.
  4. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've read bits and pieces on his site for a long time so I don't know what got to me today :D

I'd expect a review to contain some facts, figures and opinions and at the end a comparison to other kit, isn't that the way it's normally done? :D not the constant and repetitive use of Nikon as a reference point. I'll try and calm down :D

I look at Ken Rockwell's site now and again and I think he does some stuff quite well, for example his pieces on the Nikon primes are nice and helped me to make a decision. Here's one...

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f2.htm

When he does stuff like that I think it's good and helpful :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    There are 13 inch notebooks I'd rather use. You cant do a full edit on the ipad Pro and you need to import all images first into the camera role..

The fille system is rubbish to say the least you'd need a 512 version of the ipad which costs same as a top end notebook

6. John Elliott

John Elliott

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have a Sony A9 and whilst I like it I think I would be better off with an A7R mk3. I've discussed a part exchange with my usual supplier and I would need to add about £470 to do the swap. I could afford that but if anyone can persuade me to stick with the A9 it would save me some money :). I mostly shoot still life and food, sometimes I shoot architecture. I certainly don't need 20 fps and would like a better tethering socket and USB 3 which the A7R mk3 would give me.

7. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Add 470 quid to get the a7r3, mental.

8. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Odd that you have to pay to exchange for a cheaper camera...

I'd say no. The a9 can do what you ask it to do and it's a complete waste throwing 470 quid to exchange for a camera that costs over 1000 less

trevorbray likes this.
  9. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    A9 used is pretty poor because grey is so cheap.

10. Dave Semmens

Dave Semmens

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  11. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Seems to praise the Sony highly from what I read

12. razor777

razor777

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Indeed, even Grey there is a 600 quid price difference between the A9 and the A7RIII so that £470 to downgrade is appalling - have you considered doing a swap on here? Someone might bite your arm off if you agree to keep it cost neutral.

13. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't think it'll be an easy swap even at neutral cost.
    A lot of people that own A7RIII mostly do so for the sensor. Similarly most people who own A9 probably do so for the speed. I don't think most people eye-ing an A9 would take an A7RIII as a cheaper alternative. That's A7III.

Riz_Guru likes this.
  14. decigallen

decigallen

Edit My Images:
    No
    Very true, but I'd still give it a go if I was him - stick it in the classifieds as a swap deal.

Dave Semmens likes this.
  15. old bloke

old bloke

Name:
    bob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It would seem that John made a mistake when he bought the A9, it could be that someone else made a mistake when buying theA7RIII so would be willing to exchange them,
    it might be worth a try, paying £470 to do it is ridiculous, I see that John is a new member so using the classifieds hear would be a problem.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  16. John Elliott

John Elliott

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The A9 looked like a good bet at the time I bought it, but my requirements have changed now and I'm not going to be doing the sort of photography it's best suited for. As you say the classifieds solution isn't one that's available to me at the moment, for reasons I well understand.

Truth be told what I really want is the Canon equivalent to the A7RIII but they haven't made it yet AFAIK.

old bloke likes this.
  17. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  18. Dave Semmens

Dave Semmens

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A video from Nick Page - I have followed him on Youtube for a few years and really like his content.

He has been a Canon shooter for many years but was sent the A7R3 to try.

View: https://youtu.be/osrxJAU0tec

19. old bloke

old bloke

Name:
    bob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi John it was not clear from your first post that your priorities had changed, if you had bought the A9 for still life, food and architectural photography that would have been a mistake,
    however I do understand that interests and priorities change, my own did my main interest was landscape so I bought a A7RII which is ideal for that purpose I am now much more interested in
    wildlife for which it is not so good and I have now got a A7III :).
    Good luck I hope you get sorted out at little or no cost. :beer:.

20. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    nice

21. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Lets be honest.

Any of the sony 3rd gen FF camera's can do still life, food and archiecture. The main difference between then is weather u need it to be faster? do a ton of cropping? or on a budget(a7mk3!!)

22. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Are you sure you want to dive in and spend even more? Canon is rumoured to announce something mirrorless this year.

23. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    nandbytes likes this.
  24. jj_glos

jj_glos

Name:
    Julian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The single most important feature of the A9 for me is the stacked sensor. No rolling shutter is nice but the no blackout EVF is just awesome and for me I couldn't move back to another mirrorless body without it.

25. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was secretly hoping they'd make a e-mount FF :D

26. F/1.4

F/1.4

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    So my Sigma 35 from wex is still nowhere to be seen

Good call that UKDIGITAL have just sent me one via RMSD

27. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    WoW, it's a bit of a shocker that a mirrorless camera has better battery performance than a DSLR :D

Dave Semmens likes this.
  28. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Not sure Ill be getting one after being so pleased with the 50, may wait for a price drop on the 35.

29. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    eagerly awaiting you findings with 35mm ART :D (especially AF-C related)

30. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    but 50 is no 35 :p

31. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Meh close enough

32. simonbarker

simonbarker

Edit My Images:
    No
    Not really, we've already covered this! The more you shoot the bigger the advantage these Sony's have over the competition but the reverse is also true.

33. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not what a true 35mm patriot would say

34. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    I know but for £650 in my pocket its close enough ;)

35. nandbytes

nandbytes

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    that's only £50 more than your sigma 50mm. surely you can return it?

If the AF is as good as you say it is, its hard resist the ART. Seems like a perfect balance!

36. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    I want to keep the 50..... So it's 650 out my pocket.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  37. jj_glos

jj_glos

Name:
    Julian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I like a 35mm/85mm combo, but when it comes to using a sole lens is a 50mm all the way for me. Which is why mine is arriving tomorrow :D

My old Sigma 50mm won't work on the mc-11 (I did kind of get it working in manual focus), so ordered the FE mount Art. My adapted 35/85 work well enough for now.

38. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin

Name:
    Raymond
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The 50/1.4 Planar is still my favourite Sony lens, actually if I had to pick it’s my joint favourite with the Canon 35L mk2. I’ve only had the CZ a very short period of time but it’s just so good, it’s better than all the 50mm I’ve tried.

nandbytes likes this.
  39. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    The 50 art FE is superb, been so impressed... and that's not easy... Especially at well under 1k.

40. Dave Semmens

Dave Semmens

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My A7R3 out performs my old Nikon D810 quite easily. That is because I shoot landscapes and used to have the D810 in live view all of the time. DSLRs are not built to be in live view all the time but mirrorless cameras are :)

jonneymendoza, F/1.4 and twist like this.