The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I see that if I buy today I can't claim cash back for 30 days which takes it outside the cashback offer which ends on 2nd September. Does anyone know if I can still claim?

Last edited:
I see this lens has a button... any tips on what to use it for?

agreed. compact and optically very good. @woof woof i may be wrong, but thought you'd previously said you were not a fan of cats eye bokeh. this lens renders the bokeh pretty much the same as the batis.

I'm not really a fan of the cats eye thing but as you can see from some of my manual lens pictures characterful bokeh is something I live with. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I used face detect and area focusing for the first time last night with my Sony 35mm f2.8 and it seemed to work well enough so I've set those options in C1 on the top dial so I can set the camera up that way quickly. Previously they were just options I'd stick in the custom menu but hadn't used.

I'll have a look at the handling and what option suits the button.

When the bride surprises everyone by asking all the guests to go outside for a photo (at 10pm, pitch black!) and then this happens...

Wedding Fireworks by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

a7RII and Sigma 35mm 1.4, handheld 1/40, ISO1600, f1.4. Sent this quick edit over the next morning but will play around to try and balance the couple and background a little better before they are delivered.

Never done anything even vaguely like that before so had to act extremely fast, popped a flash down on the floor to the side of me and started shooting away. 13 keepers which I was thrilled with considering. They even had a dance, which obviously made my job even harder but I got 2 keepers from that with fireworks in the background, which will be a portfolio one for sure.

Last edited:
So what's you verdict Vs. Leica Q?

Well the A9 is still bulkier and not as satisfying to hold than the Leica Q,

Also the digital profile correction ruins the image quality somewhat... smears the pixels and makes it look like it was shot through plastic, though there's crazy barrel distortion with it disabled..

I think the Q remains superior

Last edited:

No surprise really. Nikon and Canon have only released 1 full frame camera each over past 18 months where as Sony have had 3 or 4, maybe 5? Not sure. EDIT. NOT 18 months but since SEPTEMBER 2014.

Think A7iii sales have gone through the roof too.

Be interesting too see what it is in 12 months. By then I may have a Z thingy or a Sony!

Last edited:
No surprise really. Nikon and Canon have only released 1 full frame camera each over past 18 months where as Sony have had 3 or 4, maybe 5? Not sure.

Think A7iii sales have gone through the roof too.

Be interesting too see what it is in 12 months. By then I may have a Z thingy or a Sony!

Check your stats.

Check your stats.

I said maybe 4 or 5 but defiantly 3. Which is correct. It is 3 so my initial stats before the maybe are correct.

Edit... it’s 4 new cameras compared to Nikon’s one. The A7rii A7riii A7iii and A9 all came after the D750.

Edit... it’s 5. A7sii came after the D750.

But yes these were not in last 18 months. So maybe I should have just said Sony have had a lot more full frame cameras since the D750 was released hence not surprised they top the full frame market.

Last edited:
Back